The Early Years: Chapter 4, Reality
- ~ 4 ~ REALITY Christian Science understands all evil to be illusion and, necessarily, it declares human good equally without reality. It reveals that physical health is as much a belief as sickness. Likewise, material wealth is but the opposite belief of poverty. In order, then, that we do not vacillate between the beliefs of health and sickness, wealth and poverty, friendship and friendlessness, it becomes necessary that we come into the understanding of spiritual reality. Obviously we cannot measure our progress spiritward in terms of days or years of physical freedom or amount of dollars income. The measure of our progress is determined by the degree of our understanding of spiritual values. The natural result of our spiritual progress is a greater degree of harmony in what appears as our human affairs, but when this harmony is the result of spiritual realization we find no fluctuation and no vacillation. This spiritual, or real state of being, is exemplified in the Scriptures in such passages as, "And there shall be no night there," 1 and the revelation of light appearing although the sun was not yet created: "Let there be light: and there was light." 2 Again in the appearance of crops before the seed is planted. In these passages we find good appearing without dependence on material aid or accompaniment. Job says, "and hangeth the earth upon nothing," 3 again indicating spiritual power dependent on nothing tangible to human sense. Jesus fed the multitudes with a few loaves and fishes, and this so-called miracle has never been explained, nor will it ever be to human sense. That spiritual sense comprehends and can duplicate it we know, because of the frequency with which this is done by the spiritually illumined of all ages. Moses fed the multitudes and provided water; Elijah provided food and healed even death, as did the Master Christian. Every real spiritual healing that takes place today is further proof, if proof were needed, that there is a realm of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...y Years_ Chapter 4, Reality.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:40- 87K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter VII, A Rose Is a Rose Is a Rose
- CHAPTER VII A ROSE IS A ROSE IS A ROSE No one can free himself from the belief in two powers and make the return to Eden until he is willing to relinquish his human judgments and look out upon the world with an unconditioned mind. The practice of seeing neither good nor evil can begin at this very moment with any object which comes within range of your vision or with any person with whom you may be confronted. In most cases, however, it is simpler to begin the practice with some object or person with whom you are not emotionally involved. The practice might begin with a bouquet of flowers which may have been sent to you as a gift. If you have no preconceived idea of them, you do not know whether they are going to give you joy in their beauty or an attack of hay fever. Contemplate them, look at them; and if you see them as having power for either good or evil, you will be thinking thoughts about them for a long time to come. Change all that and acknowledge that these flowers, in and of themselves, have no power whatsoever, that they are not good flowers and they are not bad flowers. At this point, you may be willing to admit that they are not evil, but you may still wonder why they are not good. The answer is that they are not good in the sense that good is embodied in them: The good is in the consciousness of the individual who provided the flowers because that good is love. Love is good, love is invisible and spiritual. Love is the substance that sent these flowers to you, perhaps from a great distance; love is that invisible thing of which these flowers are the visible expression. If you were to call these flowers good, and then in three or four days they faded and were gone, you would have lost your good, but inasmuch as their only value beyond a momentary sense of pleasure lies in the lasting remembrance of the giver-of the love that prompted them, of the devotion, the friendship and gratitude-it makes no real difference what happens to them. When the flowers ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... A Rose Is a Rose Is a Rose.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:39- 105K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 19, Realize God as the Only Power
- ~ 19 ~ REALIZE GOD AS THE ONLY POWER I would like now to go back to the principles, and this is what is in my mind. Don't let me do you a disservice, which I could easily do if you do not make an effort to understand me correctly or if you do not insist that I clarify the situation so that you understand it. I have said to you that the ancients were absolutely right in setting up a devil or satan. They were absolutely right in understanding that there is an impersonal source of evil which tempts us, which comes to us as temptation and which never bothers us unless we succumb to the temptation. The mistake they made was to declare the devil as an opposite of God, an opponent of God, thereby giving God an eternal warfare, an eternal attempt to get rid of the devil without ever being able to succeed. Had they understood that this devil or impersonal source of evil was not power, had no law, no life, no cause, they would have freed all of us. And men verily every day in the week would have been a day of freedom-a Fourth of July. In the same way, the earliest of our metaphysical teachers were absolutely right when they set up mortal mind and called it the sum total, the source, of all error. But they made their mistake by setting up an opposite, a divine mind, and they made such statements as, "Mortal mind causes disease but divine mind cures it." That's a nice battle, too, if divine mind wins. You see, anything that sets up an opposition to God cannot be truth. God is infinite, and God has nothing, nobody, to war with. God is infinite. God is all. There is no power opposing God. Treat this devil, or mortal mind, as something you do not need to have a deep understanding about to overcome, as something you don't have to go to God for God's help to overcome. Then you can follow this exactly as the Hebrews did on one occasion: "And they rested in this word." Therefore, having seen the nothingness of devil or satan, having seen the nothingness of carnal mind or mortal mind, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...alize God as the Only Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:52- 81K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 14, I the Lord Have Called Thee
- ~ 14 ~ "I THE LORD HAVE CALLED THEE" Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the Lord's hand double for all her sins. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it. Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. Isaiah 40:1-5: 10, 11 Do you see that the conviction that has to come to each one of us is that because the he, the it, the I of our being is the power, not one of us can fail? Do you see how there is no way for us to gain confidence or to lose fear until that moment of transition when we inwardly sense that he has that power, and because he has that power, we cannot fail? Do you see how this brings out, not only a sense of humility, it brings out the realization-not a quotation in a book, but the realization-that there is a "he." Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall. Isaiah 40:28-30 Even the young, who depend on their muscles, who depend on their vitality or their youth, even they will come face to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...I the Lord Have Called Thee.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:42- 93K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 1, The Call
- ~ 1 ~ THE CALL God-consciousness is a plane of consciousness different from that experienced by "the natural man." The natural man is acquisitive, fearful, doubtful, and hesitant in thought and deed, all based on fears concerning the self. He lives in a sense of separation from God, but at some time in his experience, because of the depth and degree of his need, the natural man is turned inward to seek within himself for that which he outwardly requires. This inward turning becomes a search for God, a seeking for truth and, when earnestly and persistently followed, results in the dawning in consciousness of the verities: the activities, laws, substance, and being of the infinite invisible. The natural man begins to "die," and the Son of God is being raised up. Now the seeker begins to realize some measure of his oneness with God, and he eventually discerns that spirit really is the essence and very fiber of his being. The realization of divine sonship is unfolding, a conscious awareness of spirit and its law and being. The Christ, or Son of God, is being born again in the manger of human consciousness, and evolves by stages to the degree of manhood in Christ, to the full stature of sonship or God-consciousness. On this higher plane, the "old man" appears less and less. Now one becomes aware that this old man is not and never was a real entity, but rather that a false concept of the creative principle and its universe had been entertained and accepted as truth. More and more the awareness of true identity becomes manifest, and slowly truth dawns in consciousness, until God is beheld as one's own being. Now comes the understanding that "man shall not live by bread alone," 1 but more by the consciousness of truth, that the acquisitive consciousness has given way to the I-have-meat-ye-know-not-of-consciousness. In this consciousness, there is no selfhood for which to fear, since God has been revealed as the only Selfhood, Self-sufficient and eternal. It now becomes ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r Nets_ Chapter 1, The Call.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:40- 77K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 25, No Outlined Physical Form
- ~ 25 ~ NO OUTLINED PHYSICAL FORM We need to remember that man is not an outlined physical form, nor a finite being surrounded by limitations, but that man is an individual expression of God's being; expressing the infinite good, the eternal harmony, the allness of life, truth and love. As we dwell on the spiritual nature and character of man, leaving our so- called selfhood out of thought, our divine nature reveals itself in all forms of peace, harmony and perfection. We need to keep constantly in thought that spiritual man is complete and "has not a single quality underived from Deity." Man includes within his own consciousness the freedom and joy of God's being. Man does not sit around waiting to receive these from God, for man is the very expression of these qualities of God. All good is embraced in the divine consciousness which man reflects. This is-ness of good is the Christ, truth, revealing the omnipresence of that harmony which may at the moment appear to be absent or apart from us. Have no fear; trust the Christ as the "divine influence ever-present in human consciousness" which reveals our perfect being. Feel the peace and joy of God flooding your consciousness with his love and his life, and the light will appear. The question is frequently asked, "How may I know when a healing is complete?" To begin with, we must bear in mind that there can be no actual healing, because there is nothing to be healed. "Spirit is infinite; therefore spirit is all. There is no matter." 1 Spirit never needs healing. This is all you need to know. Regardless of appearances, "spirit is all" and spirit does not need healing. There is no "you" outside of mind, so you need no healing. Spirit being all, it is complete. Mind is all, and mind's work is forever complete. You need do no work about this, but you must accept the truth of the completeness of mind. You have no demonstration to make. All action and volition belong to God, and his demonstration (you) was complete from the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., No Outlined Physical Form.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:47- 89K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 18, Search for Freedom
- ~ 18 ~ SEARCH FOR FREEDOM The uncertainties of human existence compel us to seek a way out of the difficulties that so frequently beset us. Illnesses of every name and nature mark our lives from infancy to old age; failure, disappointments, lack, and limitation seem to be our lot, even though each new year finds us hoping for a healthier and happier one than ever before, and as each "old year" passes we have but few regrets. Inherently we know that this should not be. Indeed, we become more certain with each disappointment that it need not be. Somewhere, we feel, is freedom from mortal trials and human tribulations. We know this freedom can be gained, if we but learn the way. Every human breast prays to God-perhaps to an "unknown God"-for the answer. Every nation and every race looks to its conception of the Almighty for rest, peace, and surcease from its worldly cares. The answer can only be found in God, the one true God whom Jesus called "our Father." In the degree that we understand God and his government of the universe, we are enabled to bring ourselves into harmony with the laws of spirit, under the jurisdiction of divine mind, and we find that every phase of human life is directly maintained in harmony and perfection through the reign of truth." It is our ignorance of God, the divine principle, which produces apparent discord, and the right understanding of him restores harmony." 1 In Christian Science we find that God is divine mind and, therefore, its creation must be in the form of ideas; that God is principle and his government must necessarily be impersonal, impartial, and universal; that God is love and this divine quality is manifested in the care and protection of love's creation; that God is truth, expressing infinite wisdom in its control over man and the universe; that God is spirit, the eternal, unchanging substance of all being. Added to these, we learn that God is infinite life, the one and only life, animating all men and things. Continuing ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 18, Search for Freedom.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:46- 83K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 8, How to Express Love to Your Family
- ~ 8 ~ HOW TO EXPRESS LOVE TO YOUR FAMILY You will know real peace and love in your household only when you tabernacle and commune with the Spirit of God in man. The way is straight and narrow, and few there are who are willing to engage in the practice necessary to attain a consciousness of that Spirit. If you expect a man or a woman to be good, or if you are looking to anyone for honesty, you can be mistaken and disappointed time after time. Furthermore, if you are looking at honest men and women and neglecting to see the Christ in each one, do not think for a minute that here and there one of them is not going to trip you up. If, however, in all your human relationships, you insist on looking through every person to the Spirit of God in him, you will be protected from the evil ones of this world, and none of the weapons that are formed against you will prosper. In the moment that the Spirit of God enters your soul, you see with different eyes, and you lose all sense of male, female, young, old, sick, or well. You see the spiritual identity of all with whom you come in contact and that vision awakens it in them. In your real identity you are the son of God, but this sonship is so dormant in your humanhood that you have lost the awareness and the capacity to behold the Christ in the members of your family. As you attain spiritual discernment and look out and behold the Christ of them, their capacity to sin or to be sick is diminished. Take a five-minute period every day in which you meditate for a different member of your family. Begin with your husband, your wife, one of your children, or one of your parents, but take a different person each day for just five, six, or seven minutes. Wait until you are completely free from other responsibilities so that you can go off into a room by yourself without interruptions from the telephone, radio, television, or guests. Whether the person you have in mind is aware of it or not, you realize that that I, that Spirit of God, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Express Love to Your Family.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:55- 78K
Find Similar Documents
The Infinite Way: The New Horizon
- THE NEW HORIZON THE SENSE which presents pictures of discord and inharmony, disease and death, is the universal mesmerism which produces the entire dream of human existence. It must be understood that there is no more reality to harmonious human existence than to discordant world conditions. It must be realized that the entire human scene is mesmeric suggestion, and we must rise above the desire for even good human conditions. Understand fully that suggestion, belief, or hypnotism is the substance, or fabric, of the whole mortal universe and that human conditions of both good and evil are dream pictures having no reality or permanence. Be willing for the harmonious as well as the inharmonious conditions of mortal existence to disappear from your experience in order that reality may be known and enjoyed and lived. Above this sense-life, there is a universe of Spirit governed by Love, peopled with children of God living in the household or temple of Truth. This world is real and permanent: Its substance is eternal Consciousness. In it there is no awareness of discords or even of temporary and material good. The first glimpse of Reality - of the Soul-realm - comes with the recognition and realization of the fact that all temporal conditions and experiences are products of self-hypnotism. With the realization that the entire human scene - its good as well as its evil - is illusion, come the first glimpse and taste of the world of God's creation and of the sons of God who inhabit the spiritual kingdom. Now, in this moment of uplifted consciousness, we are able, even though faintly, to see ourselves free of material, mortal, human, and legal laws. We behold ourselves separate and apart from the bondage of sense, and in a measure we glimpse the unlimited boundaries of eternal Life and of infinite Consciousness. The fetters of finite existence begin to fall away; the price tags begin to disappear. We no longer dwell in thought on human happiness or prosperity, nor is there ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...finite Way_ The New Horizon.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:15- 77K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 14, Faith
- ~ 14 ~ FAITH Should you hope? How different from the woman who asked Jesus to heal her daughter and was refused! Through her persistence, she finally received the gift of healing. Let me start by telling you the first thing you must do is to agree to see the problem objectively, that is, as something out there which does not belong to you. We must learn to give up self, whether it comes in the form of self-pity, self- righteousness, or any of the other phases of self. As a matter of fact, any good that you have done in the world was not done by you, really, nor is it to your credit. God manifests his goodness to the world and we are his offspring, so that all credit for all good belongs solely to him. Truth heals. If you have seen it work only a few times, you know that it does. Is any form of error an actual condition? You know that it is nothing but a suggestion or appearance. It is, therefore, mental and can be met with the knowing of the truth about God and man. When you see converging rails, does it mean that here is a physical condition of discord and that the rails must be physically separated again? No, you know that this is an appearance or suggestion and cannot be met physically. It must be met mentally by knowing the truth about the situation. The body is not sick. Matter does not pain. Eyes do not see. These are mental arguments and must be refuted with the truth about God and man or, rather, with the understanding that what appears as man is mind manifested. Therefore, what is this discord or disease but appearance or argument? Error comes to individual thought as suggestion or argument and it is there that it must be met. Remember, error is never in the other person; it comes to your thought or my thought. We either accept it as a reality, or reject it for the lying argument that it is. Do not ask any whys at this point, but accept it as fact, put it into immediate practice without a single question and hold steadfastly without wavering-no question, no ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ly Years_ Chapter 14, Faith.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:45- 78K
Find Similar Documents