Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 3, Practicing the Presence
- ~ 3 ~ PRACTICING THE PRESENCE THERE COULD NOT BE THE PRESENCE OF GOD and the absence of any quality of God. And that brings me right up to a couple of notes I made for today: To begin with, how many are familiar with the term "mortal mind"? Wouldn't this be a wonderful day to begin to give up the use of that term, to drop that term from your vocabulary? It has served its purpose and has had its day. Actually, there is no such thing as mortal mind since there is only one mind and that mind is God. At best, then, this thing that has been called mortal mind is not an opposite of divine mind, because divine mind, being infinite, could not have an opposite, and so this so-called mortal mind could be only suppositional. I have said to you that when you are in meditation try to give your words a specific meaning of your own. There is nothing more harmful than the use of quotations as such, because they become hypnotic in their action and will result in no benefit to you at all. Take, "I live, yet not I, the Christ liveth in me." 1 Now to begin with, this sounds beautiful; but actually, if you have not come to some conclusion as to what the Christ is, how do you know what it is that is living in you? Especially if you have not come to some understanding of that word, "Christ"? Christ does not mean what the orthodox church means: a man who lived two thousand years ago. Christ means the spirit of God that is in man; the spirit that animated Christ Jesus; the spirit that animates you. The word Christ may not mean a thing in your life, and may even set you back to some theological belief. And so it would not be wise for you to even use the word Christ unless you, yourself, had arrived at some meaning of it that made it a living presence to you! It so happens that the term "the Christ" registered very deeply with me right away. Something struck deep within me-I do not know why-and from that day to this it has been the guiding force in my life. Why? Because I do not associate it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 3, Practicing the Presence.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:06- 113K
Find Similar Documents
The Altitude Of Prayer: Chapter 8, Let The Spirit Bear Witness
- ~ 8 ~ LET THE SPIRIT BEAR WITNESS WHEN YOU MAKE CONTACT with the Spirit of God that is within you, you bring into your experience the divine Power and Presence. The work of The Infinite Way is attaining the conscious awareness of that Presence. When you realize that It is "closer . . . than breathing" * you stop the search for It in heaven or in holy mountains, and you begin to rest. In that resting you open out a way for the Spirit to announce Itself and perform Its function. Was not the ministry of the Master the healing of the sick, the raising of the dead, the feeding of the hungry, the forgiving of the sinner, and the overcoming of the discords and inharmonies of life, regardless of the forms in which these discords may have appeared? Is not the Christ-ministry today primarily one of overcoming what the Master called "this world," whether it appears as sin, temptation, false appetite, lack, or limitation? For most persons, it is a simple thing to acknowledge that there is an indwelling Christ, but it is difficult to prove It, to manifest It, or to bring It forth. But this will follow if, and only if, something within you says, "Yes," when you hear or read of the Christ-presence within. It was the Master's awareness and conviction of that Presence that did the miracle works of which you read. All those engaged in spiritual healing know that healing takes place only when they come to the end of prayer or treatment and have an inner release or feeling: "It is done;" or "God is on the scene." Prayer or treatment that consists only of words or thoughts, no matter how sublime or how true they may be, is ineffectual and brings forth no response from the Divine. Only the prayer or treatment that transcends words and thoughts and attains an actual contact with the Spirit brings fruitage. I am not saying that you should do away with prayers or treatments that consist of words or thoughts. Heaven forbid! These are the tools you use; these are the instruments you use to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Let The Spirit Bear Witness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:26- 109K
Find Similar Documents
The Contemplative Life: Chapter 1, Conscious Awareness
- ~ 1 ~ CONSCIOUS AWARENESS Many persons who are seeking for truth or striving to find a way that will lead them out of the inharmonies and discords of life gather the impression that there is some quick or short way of overcoming all their problems; that there is some kind of a message that they can read in books or hear from the lips of a teacher or lecturer, that will quickly take them away from the troubles of a material way of living into the harmonies of the spiritual life. This is the mistake that is made in every one of the Western countries. It is not so in the East, where the relative unimportance of time is better understood and where it is realized that an evolution of consciousness can take place only over a span of years. But in the West, where in one short life-cycle we have gone from lamplight to modern electric lighting and from the horse and buggy era to automobiles and airplanes, where there has been an increase in the speed of travel from 100 miles an hour to thousands of miles, we do not seem to have sufficient time or sufficient interest to take the time for the development of spiritual consciousness. Because of this unbelievably rapid progress, materially and mechanically, which has set the tempo of our times, many think that it is possible to apply this same accelerated speed to the spiritual life. But when it comes to spiritual unfoldment and spiritual progress, it is quite a different story. There, an element of time enters into the situation, and it is this element of time that our Western world seems unwilling to accept, or may not be able or prepared to accept. It is often possible for those of us who come to a spiritual teaching to have our problems quickly met-physical, mental, moral, or financial-but, of course, even if all our major problems were quickly met, we still would be no better off than we were before, except for a little temporary relief from the world's discords, because regardless of what freedom we attain through the help ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 1, Conscious Awareness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:37- 132K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 9, Metaphysics and Mysticism - The Infinite Way Path
- ~ 9 ~ METAPHYSICS AND MYSTICISM: THE INFINITE WAY PATH Many of you who have been in class work with me know that at no time in my life did I dream of there being such a work as the message of the Infinite Way or that I would ever be connected in any way with a spiritual teaching. My work was in the business world, and while I was never interested in any organized religion, I did have that longing to know what made the wheels of truth go 'round, especially after I began traveling in Europe in 1909. There, for the first time, I was awakened to man's inhumanity to man: I was awakened to the fights, the discords, the inharmonies that take place, and to the dens of iniquity that existed. I didn't know they existed in the United States too, but I learned later we also had our own San Francisco and New Orleans, and these things puzzled me because there were so many religions that claimed there is a God. So it was, I turned my attention to learning more about God. My only purpose was to find out for myself what lies behind this world, so I asked why this thing called God, or man called God, or whatever this being is, wasn't doing something about the sins of the world, the wars, the discords, the causes of strife. I was only a youngster in New York when the first ladies' ready-to-wear strike took place where men and women were killed, beaten up, and injured in the name of business. I remember when the steel workers in Pennsylvania were striking for a dollar-and-a-half a day and the militia was called out to shoot them down. I wondered about these things. I was in London in 1909 when the German and English fleets were lined up against each other in the North Sea, the World War ready to start. It was man's inhumanity to man that brought me to the search for truth but with no other object or motive than to learn for myself why, if there truly were a God he would permit this inhumanity. Many years later, when my first religious experience took place, it brought with it the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ism - The Infinite Way Path.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:50- 136K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 4, Thought Is Not Power
- ~ 4 ~ THOUGHT IS NOT POWER IT POPPED INTO MY HEAD ONE DAY that thought is not a power, it is an avenue of awareness. It shocked me for a moment, having it come out of a clear sky when I was not asking for it. Then I saw that I, through the avenue of thought, can become aware of people in this room and know whether they are dressed in brown or green or black, but no amount of thinking I do can make it so. Not my thought and not all the thought in this room will change that which is in this room. Therefore, thought, to me, becomes an avenue of awareness. Through thought I have become aware of the great truth that you are the Christ of God. That is what you are and have been since time began. It just took me a long time to find it out-and others are still finding it out. But it was always true, since, "Before Abraham was I am," and nobody's thinking did it. It just is so, as a law of God; and, "Lo, I will be with you always . . ." 1 even unto the end of this human belief of things. Certainly I will, and that is the Christ, the mind that was in Christ Jesus, the soul or spirit of God. If we took all the practitioners out of business today, it should make no difference to a person who has been on this path for any length of time. Our great sin is when we have patients or students for a year or two who still have not learned that God is their infinite, individual, invisible, eternal life, when we have not made it sufficiently clear that the body is the temple of the living God. With a year of this kind of instruction, a body should be reflecting it. The minute you begin to know that the mind that was in Christ Jesus is your mind, from that moment on it is doing something to your body, your business, your income, your human relationships and family relationships. It may seem slow in the beginning, unless you have a tremendous light such as Saul had when he became Paul. In that case it might be quick, but even there, it was nine years after Saul had that experience before ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 4, Thought Is Not Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:19- 104K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 5, The Nature of Error
- ~ 5 ~ THE NATURE OF ERROR GOD IS ALL! Nevertheless we are faced every day and almost every hour of every day with error in some form. It is for that reason we come together to study metaphysics or spiritual truths. The object of our study is, of course, coming into oneness with that spiritual life, coming to that point where we are actually able to contact the mind that was in Christ Jesus and thereby have the infinite power, guidance and direction, love and protection of that universal mind and soul. It is natural for us to agree that one reason we would love that, is because it does eliminate the errors of human sense. Now, two things are necessary in that spiritual living. One is this contact, this ability to be one with the mind that was in Christ. The other, which is the letter of truth, is the ability to know our relationship to God and to understand the nature of error. In order to be free of discord, let us never forget that it is necessary for us to know the nature of error. Now, in our meditation we are going to be so consciously one with God that eventually error never comes near us, it fades away automatically even as we approach it. Until that time, let us not hesitate to talk about the nature of error and what we are to do about it as we see evidences of it. We know that error isn't a reality. That is the basis of our understanding. Everyone in this room, regardless of what school of metaphysics he comes through, has accepted, if only intellectually, the unreal nature of error. But in the working out of problems it becomes necessary to go as far as can be with this understanding of the unreal nature of error, so that we can meet it and dissolve it instantaneously. So, before we touch on meditation and the results of meditation, I am going to talk on the nature of error. To begin with, when error appears to us, it appears as a person or as a condition or as a place. In the same way, when good appears to us, it appears as a person, a place, a condition. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 5, The Nature of Error.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:19- 114K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 5, Freedom in Christ
- ~ 5 ~ FREEDOM IN CHRIST It is a very difficult thing to impart the idea of Christ wisdom. Christ wisdom differs from human knowledge, even from a human knowledge of truth. Humanly, none of us knows what truth is. Certainly no one knows with the human mind what it is. The wisdom of Christ is not in the realm of human wisdom or understanding. It is a knowledge that transcends all earthly wisdom. The things of God are foolishness with men. 1 In the moment when we recognize that we know nothing about this, and we are not just being modest, in the moment when we go to the Father and humbly say, "I don't know what this is all about, Father," in that moment we begin to touch the hem of the garment. We talk about truth, and we write about truth. We never voice Truth. Only God voices Itself. Only Wisdom, Itself, voices Itself to us, and sometimes through us. In actual truth, It is voicing Itself as us: "I am the truth . . . I am the life. . . . I am the infinite wisdom of the universe." That, in its spiritual meaning, is absolute truth, but that I is not a man, woman, or child; it is not the human "I". That I is God. And when It voices Itself, the wisdom of the ages becomes known. The power of Spirit and Soul becomes visible and tangible, and we see the dead rise; we see the sick and sinning healed; we see some body "lighting up" with a look of wisdom beyond anything of this earthly realm. "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels," 2 if I do not have that divine love which takes no cognizance of mortals and mortal experience, it is not God talking. The entire trouble with our demonstration is the word "I." It is not that we would not subdue the "I," not because we cling to it so much, not because we would not gladly do away with that little "I" or ego; it is not that we would not say, "Not my will, but thine, be done." It is the universal belief of a selfhood apart from God that so forces itself into our thought that we, even we who set ourselves up as having ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 5, Freedom in Christ.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:29- 133K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 7, The Last Enemy
- ~ 7 ~ THE LAST ENEMY Everyone is interested in the subject of immortality-immortality here and now, in this body, not merely an immortality to be attained after death. It is in this very body that immortality must be experienced-this very body which we are now using as our instrument. We shall not lose our body, but we will lose our false sense of body and come into the realization of the true nature of body. By losing the sense of disease, accident, and old age, and coming into a higher realization of perfect body, there is no loss of body: There is just the loss of a false sense of body and the realization of the true nature of body. In the same way, experiencing immortality here and now involves no loss of body, but only the loss of a false sense of body. In our daily meditation, let us realize immortality here and now-the immortality of this body and this universe-in order that we may lose the false sense the world entertains of the body and of the universe. "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." 1 That may seem very discouraging to many people. Of this we can be sure, however, whether or not it is the last enemy to be overcome, it will never be overcome until we begin the overcoming, until we begin to do something about it. Just going on from one year to another, aimlessly saying, "Oh, well, death will be the last thing to be overcome," is not going to postpone it. If we want to postpone death and finally overcome it, we must begin now. What is death? Death appears to be a momentary cessation of consciousness. But consciousness cannot be or remain unconscious. In fact, consciousness can never become totally unconscious. What we call death is but an apparent lapse into deep unconsciousness, from which we become conscious again, usually upon the same level as that upon which we fell asleep. Body Expresses the Activity of Consciousness The first step in beginning the overcoming of death is the realization that the body does not have any intelligence ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 7, The Last Enemy.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:34- 104K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 2, Freedom by Grace
- Chapter Two Freedom By Grace Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4 In our human experience, we live primarily by our own efforts, by virtue of air, food, water, and investments. We live by all the things of the outer world. Almost from the beginning of time, it has been known that while this materialistic way of life may result in the attaining of the things we seek, it seldom brings real satisfaction after they have been attained. Although living in the world with a total reliance on the things of the outer world does sometimes result in the attainment of what we may have been seeking, it usually leaves us frustrated because we have neither become complete in ourselves, nor have we attained an inner satisfaction or a sense of rightness. Material Progress Does Not Necessarily Conflict With Spiritual Values For this very reason, throughout all time there have been those few persons devoted to something higher than material accomplishments. Referring to the material good of this world, however, as "just material accomplishments" is not meant to place it in the category of the unnecessary or the evil. Let us not make the mistake of believing that there is no value in these great accomplishments on the material level, because that is nonsensical. The world is better off than in any previous generation, because of the invention, science, discovery, exploration, mining, and research that have been going on for years. We need not decry these material advances. The tragedy is that our moral and spiritual development has not kept pace with our material achievements. I realize that too often we hear discussions and read articles or books giving the impression that materialism is some kind of an evil, that the development, as well as the conservation, of our natural resources, and the discoveries of the many conveniences which we enjoy today in some way are wrong. To take such an attitude is to revert in a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 2, Freedom by Grace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:11- 127K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: The Healing Ministry
- The Healing Ministry My oneness with God is my oneness with spiritual wholeness. The only place where disease has no reality and where it disappears, is in one's spiritual sense of life-in this intuitive spiritual sense of life that you feel when you are in the silence, when you are touching Reality. In this life, there is no sin, no disease, no lack, no limitation, no war. There is nothing going on in this spiritual sense of life but spiritual good. That is the reason I say that most of our work should be done silently and not audibly. Giving a person who has asked for help a barrage of metaphysical truths, to me, is nothing but nonsense. To me, the only way to respond to a call for help is to say, "I will help you right away." Just as fast as is possible, get back into that silence, where you can feel the very presence of God, where you can discern Reality. Then the patient will be free. When I have a headache, if a practitioner were to say to me, "Now, you know it is not real; of course you have not got a headache"; I would be inclined to reply, "Oh, go jump in the lake! I want freedom! I do not want a lot of conversation!" If the practitioner really and truly believed that the headache was not real, I would be healed long before he could assure me of its unreality. It is not how glib we are at blurting out these metaphysical truths that is going to help anybody. It is the recognition within of spiritual Reality. This you touch somewhere within your own being, and when you do, the whole human picture fades out and you begin to see divine Reality. We should get out of the habit of telling and repeating testimonies. Testimonies are legitimate when they are used to exemplify some point of spiritual practice. You may want to illustrate a certain principle and use a testimony of healing as an example, but aside from that, give up the habit of testifying, either to your own healings or to those for which you may have been responsible, or to others of which you may have ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...eader_ The Healing Ministry.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:22- 130K
Find Similar Documents