God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 9, Nature of the Individual as Consciousness
- ~ 9 ~ NATURE OF THE INDIVIDUAL AS CONSCIOUSNESS Probably the most important point in all spiritual living is the question: What is God? Investigation of differing concepts of God indicates that some people think of God as Mother, others as Father, still others as mind or law or principle, and latterly as the combination Father-Mother. If the concept is illumined, one term is not much more important or adequate than another, but our manner of worship often limits our concept of the infinite to a finite form. The greatest statement ever made on the subject of the name or nature of God is that if you can name it, that is not it. And that is true. If you give it any name at all, you are naming something other than yourself, and that cannot be God because the self doing the naming is none other than God. In the same way, there cannot really be a search for truth because the searcher is truth. "I am the way, the truth, and the life." 1 How can I seek life eternal, since I am that eternal life, itself? The Nature of God Any term or name you might give to God is of itself erroneous, since it implies duality. The experience of the Hindu leader, Ramakrishna, who lived late in the last century, is interesting from this viewpoint. From early childhood, starting out as an altar boy in a temple, he was filled with a great longing for God; he was God-hungry. God was always Mother, and inasmuch as one of the gods of Oriental Scripture was known as Mother Kali, Ramakrishna used this designation, Mother Kali, when referring to God. She became such a reality to him that he insisted on paying his devotions and saying his prayers to her. One day, a great spiritual woman came to Ramakrishna and offered to lift him to the highest degree of spiritual consciousness in which he would realize his oneness with God. Ramakrishna accepted, and the woman remained with him for some time, meditating with him until she finally lifted his consciousness to where he could say, "Ah, I am!" He had the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Individual as Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:35- 125K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 4, The Operation Of The "Arm Of Flesh" & The Operation Of Truth
- ~ 4 ~ THE OPERATION OF THE "ARM OF FLESH" AND THE OPERATION OF TRUTH THE RELIGIOUS LITERATURE AND FOLKLORE OF THE WORLD have a theme running through them which is not often understood and is sometimes taken lightly, a theme exemplified in statements such as these: "The Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.1 . . . I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."2 There is Something beyond human understanding which at some time or other plays a very great part in our experience and in the lives of the spiritually illumined. Accounts of something of a miraculous nature, always present in time of need, can be found in every mystical teaching. Eventually religious teachings were built up that gave not only the promise of something Divine, but also of another presence, the devil, Satan, evil, the angel of death, so that there were good influences in the lives of those who were entitled to the good and evil influences in the experience of those who were deserving of some evil. The ideal of the supernatural is a dominant theme in mythological literature. In the mythology of Hawaii, there are the menahunes who are always out doing some good thing that the people humanly could not do for themselves. The Irish, too, have their leprechauns. In folk literature, always this something or other that is a protective influence in the experience of the people is present. In the opera Parsifal the entire cast of characters created by Richard Wagner exemplifies the awakening of the Soul. The story centers around the Soul- unfoldment of three men. One of these is Titurel, an old man who had lived a very good pure life as the keeper of the Holy Grail. He did his work nobly, protecting the Grail from theft and harm, and when he retired, his son, Amfortas, succeeded him. But the son was not as conscientious as his father, nor was he as pure, and the Holy Grail no longer served its noble purpose. Amfortas became involved with Kundry, a woman of questionable morals, and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...h_ & The Operation Of Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:43- 118K
Find Similar Documents
Living by the Word: Chapter 5, Transforming the Unillumined Human Mind
- Chapter Five Transforming the Unillumined Human Mind We are born into a state of spiritual ignorance, and in that state we do not have the benefit of truth operating for us. It is for this reason that some of us come into the world physically or mentally handicapped, and it is possible for anything to happen to us of either a good or an evil nature. Because personal experience is the result of what is taken into the mind, as long as our mind is the human mind with its good and evil, we will live the experience of the human mind, which is a false sense of mind, both good and evil. The mind, however, in and of itself, is neither good nor evil: it is merely an instrument of awareness. A mind imbued with truth will bring forth harmony of mind, body, business, home, or family, but only in proportion to the degree in which that mind is stayed on truth. A mind imbued with ignorance, that is, one that accepts a materialistic view of life, must bring forth a life after its own image and likeness, which is also material, and therefore, both good and evil. Until we are led to some truth- teaching, however, we do not have the capacity to choose whether our mind is to be imbued with truth or whether it will remain under the domination of world beliefs. Up to that time we are in ignorance of the truth that our mind, when it is imbued with truth, will bring forth harmony, but when it is ignorant of truth and accepting the world's materialistic beliefs, it brings forth discord and inharmony. Abiding in Truth Leads to the Illumined Consciousness As we come to a truth-teaching, we learn that there is a truth which is contrary to human belief and also contrary to some orthodox religious teachings. First of all, we discover that there is no God sitting around in heaven worrying about whether we have an accident, become enmeshed in sin, or succumb to a disease. Our prayers to this unknown God are of no avail. Truth-teachings reveal that the reason these prayers have not been effective ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... the Unillumined Human Mind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:48- 121K
Find Similar Documents
Man Was Not Born to Cry: Chapter 1, The Spiritual New Year
- ~ 1 ~ THE SPIRITUAL NEW YEAR If the beginning of a new year remains only a calendar-wise beginning, it has no significance whatsoever and produces no assurance as to the kind of a year it can be for you or for me individually, or for anyone else in the world. Always at this time there are the traditional Happy New Years, but regardless of how many good wishes are given or received, they are without power to bring about happiness, peace, harmony, or prosperity in the new, or in any other, year. Newspapers on New Year's Day are usually filled with predictions for the coming year; figures and statistics are examined in an attempt to forecast what will happen; but inasmuch as each person has an entirely different way of evaluating available statistics, each arrives at a different conclusion. It would be interesting to read the predictions in the January 1 editions of last year's newspapers to see how very few of them have come to pass, for neither predictions nor wishes have power to bring about anything in our experience. Far from presenting a hopeless picture, however, this really is the foundation for a very encouraging one because once it is realized that predictions and wishes have no influence upon the year, people can then begin to see what can be done within themselves that will have an effect upon the course of the New Year. The Power of an Individual Everyone has not only tremendous influence upon his own life and upon the lives of those who are near and dear to him but, far more than this, he has the possibility of influencing the whole world. In fact, the course of history has often been altered by one person. The 1960 election is an excellent example of the power of the individual. Just a few votes in this community or in that changed the results in a state and, comparatively speaking, less than half of one percent determined the result of the entire election. So when we are tempted to think how little power we have in shaping the history of our nation or ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 1, The Spiritual New Year.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:56- 130K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: June 1957, The Secret of The Healing Principle
- CHAPTER SIX: JUNE The Secret of the Healing Principle SPIRITUAL healing is based on an understanding of the spiritual principle of life. This principle is that God maintains and sustains the universe, including every person in it, in absolute integrity. Contrary to that teaching is the world of appearances, the dreamworld, a mesmeric world which has no law to support it, no substance to sustain it, and no continuity except such as we, in our ignorance, give it. Once this truth is perceived, you will have a healing principle which will stand, regardless of the nature of the problems that are brought to you. This does not mean that you will heal everybody or every condition, not because the principle is not adequate to meet every situation, but because the people involved are not yet ready to live this principle or to live by this principle; they are not ready to give up those things which would interfere with the demonstration of the principle. In other words, Jesus, himself, did not attempt to take the rich man into heaven. It was not because of the man's wealth, in and of itself, but because the man's faith, confidence, and hope were in his wealth; all his expectations and hopes in life were based on the amount of his possessions, and such a man cannot be lifted into spiritual consciousness. So it is that there are people seeking healing, but seeking only the healing of their pains and discords, not a spiritual healing which would transform their lives. This principle is so absolute, however, that given a fair opportunity with anybody who is at all receptive to the spiritual way of life, harmony will be brought into the experience of that person, and he will come into spiritual enlightenment. The Fabric of "This World" The principle which is the secret of all healing is an understanding of the nature of error. Error is never a person; it is never a thing; it is never a condition. Therefore, never take into your thought, or attempt to handle in thought, a person, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...et of The Healing Principle.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:04- 135K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 5, The I That I Am
- ~ 5 ~ THE I THAT I AM On the spiritual Path you will be tempted, not a hundred times, but a thousand times, to believe in a selfhood apart from the I that I am; you will be tempted to believe that you are that selfhood, or that your son or your daughter is a selfhood separate and apart from God. Each time it will be an effort to remember: I is God; I is infinite being: I is infinite individuality. Then when you have achieved that realization you can rest-but only for a few minutes, until the next temptation comes along. You will not solve all your problems by an intellectual agreement that I is God, that I is infinite, and therefore, that I is infinite wealth and infinite health. Ultimately, that truth will solve all your problems, but not until it has been rooted and grounded in your individual consciousness. As inspiration pours through, as the light comes in, we are lifted into a realm beyond this world; it is almost like living in a dream. But it is not a dream; it is living in reality. However, the difficulty is that every once in a while we come down to earth-we come down to earth, either because our own body starts to make a noise, or someone else's body or pocketbook does. Then it is that we become responsible for the re-establishment in our own thought of our true identity. The secret of discord and the secret of harmony lie in understanding true identity. Regardless of how many books we may write about it, or how many different ways it is presented, the secret is: I is God, and not man. I is consciousness, and not body. I is life eternal: It was never born; It will never die. This truth must be established in your consciousness. Each time error hits up against your thought, in one form or another, it must be rejected with that ultimate realization: I is God consciousness. That I is infinite, eternal, and all-inclusive; It includes within Itself every idea of rightness. But remember, It contains no thought, no feeling, no trace of anything less than ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 5, The I That I Am.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:26- 130K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Meditation
- Meditation TO MEDITATE IS "to fix the mind upon; think about continuously; contemplate; to engage in continuous and contemplated thought; dwell mentally on anything; ruminate and cogitate." In the spiritual tongue meditation is prayer. True prayer or meditation is not a thinking about ourselves or our problems but rather the contemplation of God and God activities, and the nature of God, and the nature of the world that God created. Everyone should take some time daily to retire to a quiet spot for meditation. During this period he should turn his thought to God, and consider his understanding of God, and search out a deeper understanding of the nature of Spirit and its formations, and of Mind and its infinite manifestation. He should be careful not to take any of his ills or other problems into his meditation. This particular period is set aside, dedicated and consecrated to thinking about God and God's universe. As God is the Mind and Soul of every individual, it is possible for all of us to be tuned in to the kingdom of God and receive the divine messages and assurances and benefits of the one infinite Love. The grace of God which we receive in these periods of meditation or prayer becomes tangible to us in the fulfilling of our so-called human needs. If we do not open our consciousness to the reception of spiritual understanding we must not be surprised if we do not experience spiritual good in our daily living, and there is no other way to open our consciousness to the realm of Soul than through meditation or prayer, through contemplating the things of God. "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee." All through the day our thoughts are centered on the activities of human experience, on family cares and duties and earning a livelihood, on social and community affairs, and sometimes even on greater affairs of state. Is it not natural then that at some time during the day or evening we take time off to retire to our inner consciousness, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Joel Goldsmith_ Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:14- 71K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 1, Individual Unfoldment of Consciousness
- ~ 1 ~ INDIVIDUAL UNFOLDMENT OF CONSCIOUSNESS The primary mission of The Infinite Way is inner unfoldment, the revelation of truth from within our own being. The written word is the least important part of this work; that which is not written or spoken is the greater teaching. Human teachers are but temporary helps on the way. Only from within comes the illumination which makes it possible for some to heal and to be able to teach that "the kingdom of God is within you" 1 and that you are the fulfillment of God. The real teacher receives inspiration and illumination and is able to impart these only because he has the realization that "I can of mine own self do nothing 2 . . . the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works." 3 Therefore, this "Father within" comes as an impersonal presence to awaken the receptive thought to the divinity of the individual. "And they shall be all taught of God." 4 My conscious oneness with God makes me one with all those who are able to receive the Word at this level of consciousness. Your conscious oneness with God makes you receptive and responsive to all truth. Wherever there is a receptive thought, God speaks. Wherever spiritual being is manifested, God is present. Since God manifests and expresses its own being as you, you are as infinite as God-not just a little portion of God. God does not divide itself, but manifests, expresses, reveals, unfolds, and discloses itself as you and as me. It is a state of Christ-consciousness in which God speaks, God moves, God acts. When I speak or write about the letter of truth, that is the least part of the activity which is going on in my consciousness. Always, as a teacher of truth, my consciousness is alert and awake and transcends anything concerning the letter of truth which I might impart. That consciousness, which is the divinity of my being, is also the divinity of your being; it is the divine consciousness of you and is arousing you to an awareness of its own divine qualities, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Unfoldment of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:33- 115K
Find Similar Documents
Living Now: Chapter 3, When the Spirit of the Lord Is Upon Us
- ~ 3 ~ WHEN THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON US The goal of our journey on the spiritual path is to make the transition from being the man of earth who is not under the law of God to being that man who has his being in Christ, to leave behind that selfhood which is sometimes good and sometimes bad, sometimes sick and sometimes well, sometimes rich and sometimes poor, and to emerge into our divine state as a child of God. According to the Master, we are either branches that are one with the tree of Life or branches that are cut off from the tree. If we are branches that are cut off, we are withering and dying; but if we are connected with the trunk, then we are one with the entire tree and all that constitutes the tree, way down into the roots and coming up through the roots. We are at-one with all that is in the soil, with the sunshine and with the rain. Everything that seeps down into the soil comes up through the roots, feeds the whole tree, and then produces the fruitage. The Road Back to the Father's House Every problem with which we are faced stems from a separation from our Source, and until we are once again united with that Source, troubles are going to continue to recur in our minds and bodies. Both the mind and the body have to be fed. For centuries, it was considered sufficient if the body were fed and maintained with food, medicine, and fresh air; but in the last hundred years it has been discovered that we need something more than that, and so attempts have been made to teach people to fill their minds with thoughts of a positive nature on the assumption that the body would in turn respond to this constructive approach to life. But if we are not fed by the Spirit, all the material food we can put into our systems will not feed us properly, nor will all the mental food with which we fill the mind give us adequate nourishment. As human beings, we have no contact with our Soul, or Source, and it is only when we begin the practice of meditation that we find ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...irit of the Lord Is Upon Us.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:50- 140K
Find Similar Documents
Living by the Word: Chapter 1, Living by the Word
- Chapter One Living by the Word There comes a certain moment in the experience of every person when a touch of the Spirit breaks through into consciousness, when a ray of light penetrates, not because of him, but in spite of him. From the moment that ray touches him, the end is inevitable: he is going to find his way to the very center of his being, right to the throne of God. For some, the way is long and difficult because of the many facets of humanhood which have been built up and from which we cannot free ourselves. We do not find it easy to let go of many of the qualities which hold us back; and I am not thinking only of the evil qualities. Some of the good ones, too, are positive deterrents to our spiritual progress. As this ray of light continues to penetrate, it pushes us, it leads us, even to the point of stumbling. We have periods of gradual growth toward spiritual consciousness, and then all of a sudden we get a wallop that sets us back about ten degrees, and we have to pick ourselves up and begin all over again. That happens to everybody on this path, who, like most of us, yields reluctantly to the spiritual impulse. There are a few gifted individuals who, before this present experience on earth, have been so wonderfully prepared that their way seems to be much easier than ours. They seem to perceive spiritual light quickly, and their progress appears always to be onward and upward. In that purity of consciousness, the childlike consciousness, which many adults have brought over with them from their previous development, the ascent into spiritual consciousness is a beautiful one, gradual and harmonious, and beset with very few problems, and even those few not of their own making but having to do mostly with their families, friends, and that which they have picked up on the journey. For most people, however, the path is up and down, and usually there comes the realization at the end of a year or two, and possibly at the end of every year or two, "Well, I ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 1, Living by the Word.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:47- 121K
Find Similar Documents