Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 12, Questions & Answers
- ... Some scholars do not believe that Jesus ever gave the Lord's Prayer to the world, while others believe that he did. The main reason for this doubt is that the Lord's Prayer is not in keeping, apparently, with the Master's teaching. The Master did not teach that it would do us any good to ask God for any such thing as daily bread. He taught: "Your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him 3 . . . [and it is his] good pleasure to give you the kingdom." 4 One Bible authority claims that when the translators came to that part of the New Testament where the disciple said: "Teach us to pray," 5 the Master did not reply. Scholars believe that something was lost, and then when they found the page on which what is called the Lord's Prayer was written, they inserted it in that place. Regardless of whether or not the Master did give us the Lord's Prayer, do not forget that in it there are laws just as there are in all of his teachings. In other places as well as in the Lord's Prayer, he taught the law of forgiveness, and through that law, we "forgive our debtors," 6 for in proportion as we are able to "loose him, and let him go," 7 does our own consciousness become free. If parts of the Lord's Prayer-or all of it-have meaning for you, it does not matter whether or not it was a part of Jesus' actual words. Whatever is true, is true regardless of its source. We can get good wherever we find it. Personally, I find much wisdom in that particular passage: "Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors." 8 Question: Should a practitioner assume responsibility for a case? Answer: Our attitude should be the same with a human being as it would be with a dog, a cat, or a crop. The truth we know should be outwardly manifested in healing, whatever the condition may be. However, just because we accept the responsibility does not mean that we shall always be able to bring out the healing. A human being differs from plants, crops, or animals because a human being has the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 12, Questions & Answers.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:31- 175K
Find Similar Documents
Living by Grace: Chapter 1, The Secret of Success
- ... It is a form of bargaining! Most people have no trouble sharing with their wives or husbands, with their children, or with their parents. It is a little more difficult to give to their neighbor's children-those down the street or those in Africa, China, Japan, or elsewhere. We are all bottled up in ourselves and our own families, and we let others take care of themselves and their own families, forgetting that we are supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves. To demonstrate supply, then, we must first ask ourselves not who will give to us or what is there for us to get, but, "What do I have in the house that I can begin to pour, to share?" Somewhere within ourselves we have to find a few drops of oil, or a little meal, or an old pair of shoes, or a few pennies in our purses. We must find something that we can give, pour, share. Money, food, clothing are not the only things we have stored within us which we can give of in order to start the flow from within us. We can find some forgiveness for someone or perform some service for someone. When you are serving man, you are serving God. The Master said, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." You are not serving God unless you are serving man, including the very least of them. The only way you can serve God is by your service to mankind-not only to the rich, the handsome, and the beautiful but to the very least of them. The only way we have of serving God is by serving our fellowman, whether it is the sharing of dollars, pounds, or pennies or the forgiving or praying for our enemies. Scripture tells us that if you say you love God and do not love your fellowman, you are a liar! Forgive and Pray for Enemies We could forgive our enemies-pray to God to forgive those who have offended us, insulted us, and grievously used us. Forgive not only those who have personally injured us but also those who have hurt our nation, our race, our religion, our friends, our relatives. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 1, The Secret of Success.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:45- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 1, Lift Yourself to a Spiritual Altitude
- Chapter One Lift Yourself to a Spiritual Altitude Everybody is seeking a way out of human limitation, human failure, and human conditions, all the difficulties of human life. We, that is, those who have any degree of social awareness or social sensitivity are not only seeking a way out of lack and limitation for ourselves; we are seeking a way out of lack and limitation for all the nations that do not have abundance. We are not only seeking a way out of ill health for ourselves, we are seeking to find health and harmony for all the peoples of the world. We are not only seeking to find peace in our individual lives, we are also seeking to find peace for all peoples on the face of the earth. When I say, "we," I am speaking of all of us, in this work or out, in orthodox religions or unorthodox religions, and of those who have no religion. Every thinking person is seeking a way out of human difficulties and out of human limitation, not only for themselves, but for all the world. This concern has been going on for many, many centuries, and the wonder is that in all these centuries a way has not been found to take us out of these difficulties, these problems, and these human miseries. When we look around to investigate what means are being used to overcome world difficulties, we find that these means are usually on a material level. We have been trying to meet the needs of the world by means of all the material resources of the universe, by means of invention, science, and discovery. It is a turning to whatever exists in the material realm. Attempts to Solve Problems by Supernatural Means There are a few who turn to some particular concept of God and fare no better than those who resort only to material means. We may wonder at that until through research we discover that when the world was sparsely populated with only a few native tribes here and there on different continents and islands, and living without any religion, as the problems of human living became acute and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...elf to a Spiritual Altitude.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:11- 123K
Find Similar Documents
Practicing the Presence: Chapter VII, Meditation
- CHAPTER VII MEDITATION To him that hath shall be given . . . love the Lord thy God with all thy heart . . . love thy neighbor as thyself . . . I and my Father are one": These are important principles for any aspirant on the spiritual path. But how are these principles to be realized? It is one thing to state what is, but it is another thing to achieve it or accomplish it. Granted that there is this Father within of whom Jesus spoke, this Christ through which we can do all things, how then do we individually achieve the experience of the Christ, that is, how do we bring that divine Presence into our affairs? That is the important point. In The Infinite Way, the age-old theme of meditation and inner communion is emphasized, the practice of which enables a person to come out and be separate -whether he is sitting reverently in a church, whether he has retired to some quiet corner of his own home, or whether he is basking in the sunshine of a garden -and, forgetting the things of this world, to turn within and make contact with his inner forces, with that which we call God, the Father within, the Christ. The experience of the Christ is a present possibility; the way to that experience is through meditation. Far too many aspirants to the spiritual way of life know the letter of truth and are satisfied to stop there. "I and my Father are one" is the correct letter of truth. Does repeating these words or does an intellectual knowledge of them help us in any way? How often do we say: "I am God's perfect child; I am spiritual; I am divine"; and then find that we are just as poor as we were before, or in just as much trouble. These are only statements. It is similar to sitting in a dark room and saying over and over again, "Electricity gives light." That is a correct statement, but we shall still be sitting in the dark until, by turning on the switch, a connection is made with the source of electricity. So nothing is going to happen to us, regardless of how many affirmations ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ce_ Chapter VII, Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:02- 93K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: September 2, 1963, Prayer of the Righteous Man: God Is
- PRAYER OF THE RIGHTEOUS MAN: GOD IS September 2, 1963 Honolulu, Hawaii GOOD EVENING. Truth is a shocking experience and those who are not prepared for a continuous bombardment of shocks should not undertake the search for truth. Probably the first question that a truth seeker would ask himself is this: Why is there so little fruitage from prayer? Whether it is the Protestant prayer, the Catholic prayer, the Jewish prayer, the Buddhist prayer or the Vedantist prayer, why is there so little fruitage? If the search for truth were started in this particular year, the seeker would receive many shocks in reading magazine articles written by ministers telling why people are meeting in small groups to pray, why they are not meeting in large numbers in congregations, why they are seeking outside of their churches. There is a simple answer to all of this and one that every religion should have been able to give. The prayers of human beings are not answered. The prayers that seek to improve the human scene are not answered. The prayers that are aimed at protecting our children or our friends or our relatives or our allies are not answered. Therefore, prayer as it is usually taught is unfruitful, unproductive, and unsuccessful. From the beginning of time we have had warfare and from the beginning of time you may be assured that mothers have prayed for their children, but warfare with all of its destruction has continued. As a matter of fact, it is so intensified in this century that, not only are the boys who go to war endangered or destroyed, even the mothers who stay at home are in danger of being destroyed. Prayer has not altered that situation, nor has it prevented the intensification of war and the added destructive powers of war. Prayer has done very little on a national or international scale, and yet in the Bible we find, "The prayer of a righteous man availeth much" 1 and "I have not seen the righteous begging bread." 2 In the literal sense none of this is true because ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...f the Righteous Man_ God Is.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:20- 110K
Find Similar Documents
God Formed Us For His Glory: Chapter 10, The Invisible Meat Unknown to the World
- ... Sharing the Infinity Within Many people fail to be helped through spiritual means because while looking to the Spirit they are at the same time a house divided against themselves, seeking their good in material ways and thinking that God is just going to help along a little bit. It is not much different from the orthodox believers who pray to God for their health and then hire half a dozen doctors to help God along. As fast as possible, we must give up resorting to material means, whether it is borrowing money, begging for it, or just expecting that because someone close to us has it that he owes it to us or should give or share it with us. We must die to our materialistic sense as rapidly as possible and lean more and more heavily on the truth that we are joint-heirs with God. Since each one of us has the same inheritance, each of us can look to his source, but this can be only if we have brought God down from heaven and placed Him in the midst of us, realizing that we can open out a way to release the infinity within by beginning to share: share our prayers, share our forgiveness, share our love, share our possessions, share anything; draw out from within; and the greater the lack seems to be, pour out that much more. Suggestion Fails Because an Immunity Is Built Up In metaphysics where mental treatments are used, there is another reason for delayed healings and sometimes failure to heal. In the beginning, metaphysical work was on a mental plane; none of it was spiritual. It is sad to think that in the early days words like "God" and "Christ" were used in their literature, when what those metaphysicians were talking about was their own mind and thoughts. They honestly believed that their mind was God and that thought was power. That error of floundering around, believing that the mind was God and that thought is power cost the world seventy-five years of spiritual unfoldment. In those days, even though the words "God," "Christ," "Spirit," and "prayer," were used, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...e Meat Unknown to the World.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:33- 127K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 2, Living by Love
- It is we ourselves, however, who must know whether or not we are functioning through love. At this point egotism and conceit could come in and cheat us by developing within us a pharisaical self-righteousness. We have to be careful that we do not get the idea that we, of ourselves, are loving. We must realize that it is the love of God that enables us to be loving, God's love, not our love, and not even our love for God. Instead let us think of it as God's love for us: "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son"-to each one of us individually. At the very center of our being God has incarnated Himself in us as His son. God the Father has placed Himself as God the Son in the midst of us. That means every person who has ever existed since the beginning of time or who ever will exist. Every person has the seed of Godhood at his center. God so loved mankind that He placed Himself in the midst of mankind. He placed the individual expression of Himself at the center of us and He named that center I. He named Himself I, and every time the word I comes to our consciousness we should realize that the presence of God is there. We have to maintain ourselves consciously in the awareness that the son of God is in us and Its law is love. We are in attunement with It when we are doing unto others as we would have them do unto us, when we are forgiving "seventy times seven," when we are sharing, giving, bestowing. The law of God is forgiveness and doing unto others as we would have others do unto us. We are violating the law of love the moment we desire revenge, indulge in resentment, or ascribe wrong motives to anyone. Every person is in attunement with the law of love when he is living according to his highest light of doing unto others as he would have others do unto him. "Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me," for the only "me" there is, is man; the only God there is, is the incarnation of Himself in man. When we are ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 2, Living by Love.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:53- 75K
Find Similar Documents
Beyond Words & Thoughts: Chapter 3, Thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image
- ... Every day hundreds go to communion service, take a sip of wine, eat a piece of bread, and then think that they have communed with the Christ. Maybe up in their minds they have or in their imagination. But while the church service of communion is symbolic of true communion and is taken as if it were the real thing, it cannot be real because nobody can receive communion until he and the Christ meet within. True communion is an actual experience that takes place within when a person comes face to face with the Christ, when the Christ speaks or imparts Itself in some way or other. That is communion. We have been led to believe that Jesus' crucifixion saves us from all punishment for our sins. According to that, when we are born, we should be provided with a certificate stating, "Sin all you like because Jesus was crucified, and we hereby give you a license to enjoy life." This is not true. And yet, symbolically, it is true because when the Christ is risen in you from the tomb where It is buried, your sins are forgiven you, and from then on, there are no more sins. The forgiveness of the Christ is always accompanied by the words, "Sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." 5 You never quite forget that because it comes with a sharp voice. You say, "I thought You were so gentle." Yes, the Christ is gentle when the promise is, "Thy sins are forgiven," 6 but the admonition that follows is a reminder to change your ways. Everything in the Bible is truth when it is experienced. You can have Pharaoh at the back of your neck and the Red Sea in front of you, and you can come out without even "the smell of fire," 7 if you have the Experience. That, however, does not mean just reading the Bible, quoting it, or memorizing it. Anything and everything can happen to this world when it is living as a branch of a tree that is cut off. But life ceases to be a matter of chance after you begin the experience of surrendering your life to this inner Spirit, and then, under the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Unto Thee Any Graven Image.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:10- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 18, Christ of Being
- CHAPTER 18 Christ of Being DO NOT believe for a moment that if I hold someone in bondage, I myself am going to be free. That is utter nonsense! "As ye sow, so shall ye reap" is a law that cannot be broken. The only way to stop erroneous reaping is to stop erroneous sowing. Erroneous sowing only takes place "up here," in consciousness, in thought. It is determined by what I am willing to see "out there." Either I am willing to spiritually discern that you are the Christ, or I am going to judge by human appearances by saying, "Well, you are the child of Jones, Brown, or Smith." It is up to me! "Choose ye this day whom you will serve"-Truth or error, spiritual Truth or human knowledge. If you choose spiritual Truth, you begin at any instant you like-and this is as good as any other-to take the attitude of sitting back, looking out at this world, and saying, "Thank God, I know thee now, who thou art. Thou art the very Christ of God, the son of God. Thank God, I know thee who thou art, the son of the Most High, offspring of God, heir of God, joint-heir with all of us to the spiritual Kingdom." "Son, thou art ever with God, and all that God hath is thine." This earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, and it belongs to each and every one of you! Begin! Break the malpractice, break this anti-Christ, and begin to behold Christ. Know the Truth. At the same time, be sure that you do not put your head in the ground and say that there is no evil. Remember, all evil is an activity of the carnal mind, an activity of malpractice or anti-Christ; but because it is not of God, you don't have to fight it. Do not fight error! Do not try to overcome error; you can't, any more than you can overcome 2 × 2 = 5! Do not battle 2 × 2 = 5; just quietly know the Truth: 2 × 2 = 4. Don't argue about it, don't fight it, don't discuss it. There is nothing to discuss about 2 × 2; it is 4, and that is all there is to it. Do not be interested in anyone's opinion. I can assure you there is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 18, Christ of Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:24- 99K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: April 1959, Spiritual Power in Human Affairs
- ... It is for this reason that, even though two thousand years have elapsed since prayer and an approach to the one true God were properly taught, man still finds himself in the position of witnessing, in World War I, World War II, and the Korean War, men gathering together in churches to pray to God for the success of their side, to pray to God to kill all their enemies but not their own boys; men sending chaplains to war to pray for their side that they may be uninjured, not sick and not dead, while they send their own sons to wipe out the enemy, an enemy who has ministers of the same churches praying for this very same thing. This may not seem incongruous to you, but if you could look out with spiritual eyes at the lamentable sight of one man praying for the destruction of another, you would humbly sink to your knees, begging forgiveness that you might ever have been guilty of asking God to give you protection at the expense of a fellow being. Prayer today is about on the same level, on ... Scripture states specifically that if you go to the altar to pray and there remember that any man has aught against you, get up and leave the altar, first make peace with your fellow man, and then return to the altar and pray. Then you will find that your prayers are fulfilled. How do we make this peace? We cannot walk around the world extending our hands to the people in the north, south, east, or west, who at the moment may be our enemies, but we can get up from the altar and go into a quiet spot in our own home and there pray the prayer of forgiveness: Father, forgive them; they do not know what they do. Father, open the eyes and the minds and the hearts and the souls of mankind, whether on our side of the border or on the other, whether on our side of the color line or on the other. Open the minds and the hearts and the souls of mankind to Thy presence and to Thy grace. Then go back to the altar and see how effective prayer can be. At sixteen and a half years of age, it was my good ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tual Power in Human Affairs.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:57- 145K
Find Similar Documents