Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Spiritual Development
- ... The sky is not sitting on the mountain, and the illusion is not "out there" where it seems to be, but is your false sense of what you are beholding. You cannot get rid of the illusion; you must understand it as illusion, and see through it to ever-prevent Reality. Understand that all that appears is God- appearing, despite the illusory sense of it you may be momentarily entertaining, and even the illusion will be dispelled. Error is never personal. You must therefore never condemn a person, but see the error as impersonal, a part of universal mesmerism and no part of any individual. In this impersonalizing of error, you dispel it. One of the great laws of the Bible is, "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." (Matt. 5:44). Your understanding of the prayer of forgiveness is that it is the realization of oneness. To know that that which is appearing, as persecutor, hater, enemy in any form, is really the Christ itself, which finite sense has misinterpreted, will free you of any evil effects of hate, persecution and enmity. Never forget that there is in reality no sick person to heal, neither a sinner to reform - only the Christ-presence to be spiritually discerned. This is the true law of forgiveness. Thus we pray for our enemies. There is a prevalent belief that the thought of certain individuals or groups can harm you. You cannot be made to suffer from any belief other than your own acceptance of a selfhood apart from God. Those who entertain a belief in two minds or in a life that can be impaired or ended, or in a selfhood apart from God, suffer from that belief in proportion as the belief is accepted. This, too, can be healed in a moment by relinquishing the belief in two powers, and the belief in more than one Presence. The purpose of your study is, first, the improvement of humanhood - the improvement of health, wealth, harmony, companionship, home and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ture_ Spiritual Development.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:18- 99K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 10, Metaphysics of the Infinite Way - Knowing god Is
- ... In other words, you can't declare God's allness today and then tomorrow wonder what wrong thoughts may be doing some evil to you; or wonder why mortal mind is doing this to you; or wonder if you're being punished for some sin of omission or commission. There has to be a consistency, as well as persistence, in holding to the truth that there is but one power. If you have sinned, that isn't a power because God didn't create the sin or the penalty for it. Therefore, it has no existence in that one mind, or consciousness, which is God. God being the only law, is a law of eternal forgiveness. And if you need to prove it to yourself, read the New Testament and find that Jesus had no condemnation for the adulteress; Jesus had no condemnation for those taken in the act. Jesus had no condemnation for any form of sin. Always it was: "'Neither do I condemn thee.' Start all over again." You begin to find that, instead of holding yourself in condemnation to a power of punishment, you begin to abide in your realization that God is an eternal state of forgiveness. God is starting all over every second of every minute and every minute of every hour. Every second is a fresh one; the past is dead, and the future never comes. The ... Divine love is something I have to express, and when I express divine love, it meets my every human need. There is no divine love sitting on a cloud; there is no divine love floating around here in the air. The only divine love in this room is the divine love which we permit to flow out from us. And divine love doesn't mean human love, or emotion, or sensuality. Divine love means spiritual love, which means forgiveness, patience, cooperation, gentleness, charitableness. All of these things are embraced in divine love, and as we express them they meet our every human need. If we do not express them, they are unexpressed and are not meeting our human need. That experience is an illustration of what I'm saying to you in this entire lesson: that the truth ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...finite Way - Knowing god Is.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:50- 134K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: May 1959, God-Realization Dissolves Material Sense
- CHAPTER FIVE: MAY God-Realization Dissolves Material Sense THE human world is stumbling from one form of error into another, seldom if ever able to extricate itself from the web of its own weaving, but always rushing onward toward destruction. Those of spiritual enlightenment, however, who understand the nature of error will no longer battle or struggle against it; they will no longer try to find a cause for it; and, what is more important, they will no longer attempt to find a cure for it, because they will perceive that it is but the material and mental concept of the universe that is destroying man. It is not a material universe-there isn't one: It is the material concept and material sense of the universe that man entertains which is his destruction. Material sense always operates through the word "I." It never appears in any form other than "I": "I need this"; "I require that"; "I have this"; or, "I do not have that"; "I long for this"; or, "I miss that"-always the word "I" appears negatively to hold us in its grasp. Or it may appear positively and say, "Oh, yes, I am healthy," or, "I am wealthy," and then sooner or later we find that we are not that at all. In other words, the personal sense of "I," claiming either to be something, have something, or do something, or the personal sense of "I," claiming that it cannot do something or does not have something-this personal sense of "I" constitutes material sense. The personal sense of "I" is always under the necessity of acquiring, achieving, or attaining. Once this is perceived, it quickly appears that this personal sense is not a part of God's universe, never was, and never can be. We begin to understand that there is a spiritual Presence and a spiritual Power, and, in that perception, the personal sense of "I" is lost, and spiritual harmony begins to appear. To all appearances, we remain the same as we have always been, except often with improved health of body or improved condition of purse. Outwardly, we are ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...on Dissolves Material Sense.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:08- 146K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: States and Stages of Consciousness
- States and Stages of Consciousness Even though for many years the metaphysical world has believed that mental and spiritual healing are synonymous, actually they are as far apart as are material and spiritual healing. Mental and material healing are much the same except that they operate on different levels of consciousness. The mental is a little higher and finer than the material, but essentially they are two strata of the same belief. On the other hand, to use the terms, "mentally spiritual" or "spiritually mental," is exactly the same as saying, "a godly devil." The spiritual and the mental are just that far apart, not that one is right and the other is wrong, but they function on such different levels of consciousness that they are as far apart as the poles. The present day mixture of the spiritual and the mental stems from the beginning of modern mental practice, which originated in the last quarter of the eighteenth century in Germany with Franz Anton Mesmer, a reputable and learned physician, who named his discovery animal magnetism. He it was who discovered that there is a vital fluid-invisible and mental-which passes from the practitioner to the patient and which acts hypnotically through suggestion. One of Mesmer's students, the French mesmerist, Charles Poyen, migrated to Portland, Maine, and there found an apt student named Phineas P. Quimby to whom he taught mesmerism, then known as hypnotism, or animal magnetism, and for some time these two engaged in this activity primarily for entertainment purposes. Mr. Quimby, later known as Dr. Quimby, however, had a young patient, or student, who worked as his assistant and who developed the faculty, under hypnotism, of discerning the mental causes of the physical diseases of people coming to him on the platform. Dr. Quimby, then, by recognizing the power of the mental thought, erased the disease. As a result of some remarkable healings which took place, he gave up the entertainment phase of his work and became ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...and Stages of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:21- 156K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Metaphysical Healing
- Metaphysical Healing HEALINGS ARE ALWAYS in proportion to our understanding of the truth about God, man, idea, body. Healing has nothing to do with someone "out there" called a patient. When anyone asks for spiritual help or healing, that ends their part in what follows until they acknowledge their so-called healing. We are not concerned with the so-called patient, the claim, the cause of the illness or its nature, nor with his sins or fears. We are now concerned only with the truth of being-the truth of God, man, idea, body. The activity of this truth in our consciousness is the Christ, Saviour or healing influence. Failure to heal is the result of much mis-knowledge of the truth of God, man, idea, body, and this mis-knowledge stems primarily from orthodox religious beliefs which have not been rooted out of our thought. Few realize to what extent they are blinded by superstitious orthodoxy. There is only one answer to the question, What is God? and the answer is I AM. God is the Mind, the Life of the individual. Any mental hedging or inner reservation on this subject will result in ultimate failure. There is but one universal I, whether it is being spoken by Jesus Christ or John Smith. When Jesus revealed: "He that seeth me seeth him that sent me," he was revealing a universal Truth or Principle. There must be no quibbling about this. You either understand this truth or you do not-and if you do not there is no need for you to seek any further reason for failure to heal. The revelation of Jesus the Christ is clear. "I am the way, the truth, and the life." Unless you can accept this as a principle, therefore as the truth about you and about every individual, you have no foundation upon which to stand. The truth is that God is the Mind and Life of the individual. God is the only "I." Next comes the question, What is man? and the answer is that man is idea, body, manifestation. My body is idea, or manifestation. Likewise my business, home, wealth-these exist as idea or ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...smith_ Metaphysical Healing.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:14- 114K
Find Similar Documents
Living The Infinite Way: Chapter Five, God as Law in Operation
- They do not realize that there is a law in operation much greater and more powerful than any law ever written into the statutes of any nation. I was thinking of this recently in connection with forgiveness. An occasion arose in which forgiveness was almost out of the question, and regardless of all the unfoldment and understanding that had been given through the writings of The Infinite Way, there seemed to be no way to bring forgiveness into this ... Probably every one of us has, in a measure, believed that some of our inharmonies and discords are due to other people, and right here is where we must bring the law of forgiveness into the picture. The first thing we ask ... Forgiveness is also a law of God. The Master made it very clear that we were to forgive even our enemies-those who hate us and persecute us, those who despitefully use us-and if necessary we were to forgive them seventy times seven! Here is a law of God, which every one of us has been violating. We have not forgiven our enemies, and certainly we have not forgiven seventy times seven. Forgiveness is one of the important ... some error in our experience, is due to someone else, either in the present, the past, or possibly in the future, and so we have violated the law of forgiveness. We cannot violate the law of God without suffering for it! ... As we study the Master's teaching in the Gospels, we find these laws of love and forgiveness and also the law of service. "For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, ... Therefore, the only way we can love God with our whole heart and soul, with our whole mind, body, and being, is by loving man. That love is made manifest not only in the service we give to man, the kindness and forgiveness, ... If we discover that we have not sufficiently kept the law of love or the law of forgiveness, we should not be too critical of ourselves, but acknowledge that that is where we have fallen down and, at this moment, recognize ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ve, God as Law in Operation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:55- 93K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 12, The Realm of God
- CHAPTER 12 The Realm of God CAN YOU imagine what it means to break the limitations of personal selfhood in this realization when I say "I"? I am talking about a Kingdom of God, a Realm of God, that is within me, which is my inner spiritual selfhood, and out of this I flows infinite capacity, infinite substance, infinite abundance, infinite wisdom, infinite love. Now what happens in this and no other way that has ever been discovered or revealed to man, is that we break what the Orientals call karmic law, and also what in Christian teaching is called "as ye sow, so shall ye reap." Please remember that as human beings we are born into the law of "as ye sow, so shall ye reap." If you are good, goodness comes back to you, and in the degree that you are not good, something of an ungood nature comes back to you. In the Bible, back in the days of Moses and even before, it was erroneously taught that it is God that rewards you and God that punishes you. Of course, the Hebrews accepted this for generations and generations, and then finally the Christians took over that teaching and they too have made a point of it-that God rewards you and God punishes you. But there isn't a word of Truth in the entire teaching. All of the good that comes into your experience as a human is a direct result of your own good: "as ye sow, so shall ye reap." All of the evil that comes into your experience comes back as a direct result either of the evil you have sown or the ignorance of Truth that you have accepted. It has nothing to do with God, because "God is too pure to behold iniquity." I can also assure you of this: in the entire Kingdom of God, there is neither reward nor punishment. In the entire Kingdom of God there is no evil. In the entire Kingdom of God, there is no giving and there is no withholding-for you must understand that if there were giving, there would first have to be withholding. In other words, if there were any such thing as the sun giving light, it would indicate that at ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 12, The Realm of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:23- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Our Spiritual Resources: Chapter Twelve, The Principle of Nonpower
- CHAPTER TWELVE THE PRINCIPLE OF NONPOWER Christmas holidays hold many important lessons for us, and it would be well to approach this season with an understanding of the nature of all our holidays, or holy days, as symbolizing important aspects of the spiritual life. In ancient times when truth was taught only to those who had some measure of education-and usually this meant only to those in the upper stratum of society -in order to keep these teachings from the uneducated masses who might, in their ignorance, misunderstand and misapply them, all teaching was done by symbols. That the Master recognized this fact and the desirability of giving the most sacred teachings only to the few is evidenced by his cautioning his followers against casting pearls before swine lest they be trampled upon. Because truth could be misunderstood, every attempt was made to keep it from those who might misuse it. You may wonder whether it is possible to misapply truth or to use it destructively, and that of course would depend upon what truth you are thinking about and the truth about what. For example, today the area of learning related to the realm of the mind is almost completely untapped. No one up to the present time has undertaken a study of the mind from a correct standpoint even though thousands of years ago the secret of the mind was known in its fullness. With the complete knowledge of mind and its operation in those early days came the abuse and misuse of such knowledge. Separate and apart from the ancient schools of wisdom, other schools which were called black brotherhoods, sprang up. In these brotherhoods, the membership consisted of some of the students who had received their original training in the wisdom schools and who perverted their knowledge to evil purposes and sometimes used it merely for personal or selfish ends; but whatever the purpose, the knowledge was used erroneously. Out of that, in all the primitive races, there sprang up practices in which the mind was ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., The Principle of Nonpower.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:01- 118K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 15, Universality of God
- ~ 15 ~ UNIVERSALITY OF GOD IN THE BOOK OF JOHN, just before the twelfth chapter, we have the Master raising Lazarus from the dead. When Chapter twelve opens the Master is coming to Bethany and there, a supper is prepared for him. The supper is prepared by Mary, the sister of Lazarus, and Lazarus himself is at that supper. Of course, this little town is very much excited about all of these experiences-Lazarus being raised from the dead; Lazarus even eating supper after having been dead and in the tomb. We, of course, might imagine that this was an occasion for rejoicing and for everybody to be happy and celebrating. But that is only because we are apt to think too quickly and to believe that the whole world wants truth, that the whole world wants this evidence of the dead being raised to life and sinners being reformed. In this experience there were two of these events: one the raising of the dead, and the other, Mary Magdalene kissing the feet of the Master, pouring oil upon him-a sinner reformed. But the "world" as a world does not like these things, and more especially the Church that cannot produce such healings, dares not like them, and here we find the first murmurings of resentment and discontent, rising to greater heights and here the Master realizes that trouble lies ahead. We are in Chapter twelve beginning with verse 23: Jesus says, "The hour is come, that the Son of Man should be glorified. Verily, verily, I say unto you; except a corn (kernel) of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit." 1 Now, here, just for a moment, we have the principle, the very principle itself, on which my own unfoldment is based. Everything that you are reading in my writings, all that you will gather from my classes, is based on that very statement that unless the seed "fall into the ground and die," it does not bear fruit. Translating that into our language of today, it means this: that unless we die to our humanhood, we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 15, Universality of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:08- 119K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 17, Opening Consciousness to Truth
- ~ 17 ~ OPENING CONSCIOUSNESS TO TRUTH TONIGHT WE ARE GOING TO START with a short period of meditation, but it will be a different meditation than we have had before, in that instead of taking the word into consciousness and pondering it, this time we just will open consciousness and listen. We will just open consciousness for that inflow. We can visualize it this way. Using the illustration of Niagara Falls and Lake Erie, we will suppose here that I am Niagara Falls and in and of myself I am continuously using up myself so that ultimately there would be nothing left, especially in three or four years or ten or twenty. Instead of that, let us know that behind me, as Niagara Falls, there is Lake Erie. As a matter of fact, actually there is no Niagara Falls-Niagara Falls is only a name given to Lake Erie at one corner where it goes over the Falls. Now, so with us. We call ourselves man, but actually we aren't. We are God, but that which is visible of us here is God where God becomes visible, where God comes to a focus, you may say, in an individual yet infinite manner. In other words, it is like realizing that Niagara Falls and Lake Erie are not two but one, and all that Lake Erie is, of course, Niagara is; all that Lake Erie has, Niagara has. But Lake Erie is continuously pouring itself forth as Niagara. So with us. God is forever pouring itself forth as individual you and me. There is really no place where God ends and man begins. I and the Father are one, and that is the meaning of this. There is no place where you can separate us and say here is God and here is man, any more than you can say that up to there is Lake Erie and from here on is Niagara Falls. There is no such place in the whole watershed. Now, since it is true that all of the Godhead is pouring itself forth as individual you and me, the only reason for any lack in our experience, whether it is lack of health or lack of wealth or a lack of opportunity or a lack of any form, is the fact that we have come ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ning Consciousness to Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:22- 141K
Find Similar Documents