Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Spiritual Development
- ... The sky is not sitting on the mountain, and the illusion is not "out there" where it seems to be, but is your false sense of what you are beholding. You cannot get rid of the illusion; you must understand it as illusion, and see through it to ever-prevent Reality. Understand that all that appears is God- appearing, despite the illusory sense of it you may be momentarily entertaining, and even the illusion will be dispelled. Error is never personal. You must therefore never condemn a person, but see the error as impersonal, a part of universal mesmerism and no part of any individual. In this impersonalizing of error, you dispel it. One of the great laws of the Bible is, "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." (Matt. 5:44). Your understanding of the prayer of forgiveness is that it is the realization of oneness. To know that that which is appearing, as persecutor, hater, enemy in any form, is really the Christ itself, which finite sense has misinterpreted, will free you of any evil effects of hate, persecution and enmity. Never forget that there is in reality no sick person to heal, neither a sinner to reform - only the Christ-presence to be spiritually discerned. This is the true law of forgiveness. Thus we pray for our enemies. There is a prevalent belief that the thought of certain individuals or groups can harm you. You cannot be made to suffer from any belief other than your own acceptance of a selfhood apart from God. Those who entertain a belief in two minds or in a life that can be impaired or ended, or in a selfhood apart from God, suffer from that belief in proportion as the belief is accepted. This, too, can be healed in a moment by relinquishing the belief in two powers, and the belief in more than one Presence. The purpose of your study is, first, the improvement of humanhood - the improvement of health, wealth, harmony, companionship, home and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ture_ Spiritual Development.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:18- 99K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Meditation: Chapter XI, For Love Is of God
- ... There is only one Person, since God is one and God is infinite. Just as there is only one life, the God-life, permeating our garden, even though that life may appear as twelve different species; so it is, that even though our friends and acquaintances may be numbered by the hundreds, there is only one life manifested in individual expression. We can never fear a person if we remember that God is one, that there is only One, and that that one Being is God. In that oneness, there can be no discord, inharmony, or injustice to anybody. Our sense of forgiveness is a realization that no one can harm us, because the grace of God maintains and sustains our relationship of oneness with the Father, under any and all circumstances. There is an invisible thread binding us all together: that thread is the Christ. If we are bound to one another by material ties of any nature, these ties soon become burdensome. Whether the tie be one of membership in an organization, some form of human obligation, or ... Then God fulfills Itself through us, as we fulfill our part, by bringing peace to individual consciousness. When we are consciously aware of our union with God, turning to the Father within as the source of all good, our relationship with one another is pure and completely free of any desire to get, to have, or to possess anything or anyone which someone else has. A spiritual relationship is a giving one, a sharing one, and a co-operative one. It is like giving gifts to our children, to husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, or friends: not for any return; not for any reason; not because they have earned or deserved them; but just for the joy of expressing love. When our relationship to one another is based, not on what we deserve or have earned from one another, but on what lies within our hearts to give or share with one another-not only money, but all the courtesies of life: co-operation; forgiveness; understanding; mutuality; trust; and helpfulness-then, and then only, will that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter XI, For Love Is of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:29- 86K
Find Similar Documents
The Journey Back to the Father's House: Chapter 2, Letting the Seed Take Root
- Chapter Two Letting the Seed Take Root Truth is not difficult to understand. As a matter of fact, it is very simple. That is why the Master said that children can receive it. "Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein." 1 Be as a little child, and you will be able to receive truth, but as an adult, or a mature person, you will find truth very difficult to receive. Truth Is a Seed You may hear or read a statement or a principle of truth and even recognize that this is the truth, and yet nothing happens to you. Reading statements of truth does not change anything, and you may think, "Why did I have to read that?" "Why did it seem true to me?" or "Why did it not do something for me?" That is because truth is a seed. Every truth heard or read that makes you feel it is truth, is a seed that is being taken into your consciousness. You can no more expect it to do something for you tomorrow than if you planted an apple seed today and expected to find apples growing in your yard tomorrow. If you plant the seed of a tree, it may be months before you will see even the tiniest bit of green showing above the ground, and you could well wonder what was taking place all that time, but you know what was taking place. The seed broke open; the seed took root; the seed began to absorb food from the ground; and then suddenly that food was transformed into a shoot and appeared above the ground. If you are patient, it will become a bush, then a tree, and if you are still more patient, it will become blossoms, and then probably apples or peaches or pears. So when truth touches your consciousness, do not think that you are now in heaven or that now that you have received this truth all the rest of your days are going to be spent in heaven on earth. No, you have merely had a seed of truth planted in your consciousness, and if you abide in that truth, if you let that seed abide in you, if you ponder it, it will come ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Letting the Seed Take Root.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:22- 119K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XVI, That Ye May Be the Children of Your Father
- CHAPTER XVI THAT YE MAY BE THE CHILDREN OF YOUR FATHER No part of the Sermon on the Mount is more challenging than its teaching of not only loving our neighbor as ourselves, but our enemies as well. How we react to that command depends upon our answer to the question: Are there two powers? Is there something or someone outside the range of God's power? How great a God do we have? What limitations do we place upon God? To what degree do we believe that God operates on this side of the street but not on the other side? According to the Master, we are to "call no man [our] father upon the earth: for one is [our] Father which is in heaven." Therefore, no one has an American, British, or Russian father; a white, black, or yellow father; an occidental or oriental father: There is but one Father-the Father in heaven who is the creative and governing principle of each one of us and of all that is. There may be those who because of their ignorance of this principle do not yet know this truth about themselves and therefore cannot demonstrate it, but that does not prevent our knowing it about them. If we go to the altar to pray, knowing in our hearts that we have not accepted all men as sons of the one Father and therefore brothers, we might as well stop praying for ourselves, get up from the altar, sit down quietly, and decide within ourselves that before we can hope to reach God, we must become reconciled with our brother. Insofar as we can keep from thinking of a person as a human being-from thinking of his parents, his education, the environment in which he has grown up and now lives, and the accumulation of other factors that may have contributed to his present discord or harmony-and keep our mind stayed on God, realizing that everything that is emanates from God and everybody that is lives and moves and has his being in God, in that degree can we love our neighbor even though he be an enemy. Let us acknowledge not only that there are sinners, whose offenses are as great ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...the Children of Your Father.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:42- 116K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 14, God Is Not Mocked
- ~ 14 ~ GOD IS NOT MOCKED THE REAL PURPOSE OF SPIRITUAL TEACHING is not merely to show students how to make the demonstration of daily living and daily harmony, nor even the demonstration of peace and health in a human way. There is something more important in life than making the organs of the body a little healthier, or prolonging physical life a few years, or increasing a person's income by ten or even a thousand dollars a week. The real import of The Infinite Way is that we realize that life is Spirit and therefore our individual expression of that life must be spiritual and our entire existence show forth the harmonies and perfections of Spirit, and not merely physical health and wealth. Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. Galatians 6:7,8 "Be not deceived; God is not mocked." Judging the world from the evidence of the five physical senses, we would have to admit that God is mocked. Surely, God never planned for Its creation any such scenes or experiences as we witness in the human world, and so, judging by human experience and from what we see about us of sin, disease, wars and depressions, it is practically impossible to believe that God is not mocked. "For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth." 1 How can we reconcile that statement with the statistical fact that not only are our highways filled with death every day, but that we send the flower of our youth off to war to make sure they get killed even faster than would be the normal incidence in traffic accidents? Yes, in the human scene, God is mocked. Anyone who has ever spent any amount of time in healing work-spiritual, mental or medical-or with those suffering from cancer or tuberculosis would certainly be tempted to agree that God is mocked. Yet Scripture says that God is not mocked. It also says ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 14, God Is Not Mocked.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:45- 136K
Find Similar Documents
Beyond Words & Thoughts: Chapter 10, Incorporeality God Man Universe
- ~ 10 ~ INCORPOREALITY: GOD, MAN, AND UNIVERSE A person can rise to mystical consciousness only by the straight and narrow path, a path which has been known to every mystic throughout all the ages. It has been taught so many times that by now you might think we would all be established in the mystical consciousness. The truth is that the interest of the world has never yet been in attaining mystical consciousness, but only in attaining the fruits of it, what the Master called "the loaves and fishes." The world has always wanted peace, but not that which will produce peace. The world has always wanted prosperity, but not that which produces prosperity. That it wants to avoid. It wants health, but not that which will produce health. The world has been taught to pray, not for what would give peace, prosperity, and health, but for the peace, prosperity, and health themselves. There is no way to attain these through prayer. Every prayer, therefore, whether it has been a Hebrew prayer, a Christian, Hindu, Vedantic, or any other kind of prayer, has failed because it has been directed toward getting "loaves and fishes," the "things," instead of that which produces the things. Attain the Fabric, and the Form Follows All creation comes forth from a source, and if you have the source you can have the creation. But there is no way to get the creation separate and apart from the source of the creation. It is as if you set your mind on having a desk, and someone said to you, "But you must have a piece of wood before you can make a desk." "Oh, do not bother me with that; do not bother me with that! I want a desk." "I know, but-" "I want a desk." "But there is no such thing as a desk until you have the wood!" So, if you want a desk, you will have to go and get yourself a great big tree and then you can have, not only the desk, but you can have a chair, too, and you can have shelves. In other words, you must have the wood before you can have a desk, but just as many persons try to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...rporeality God Man Universe.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:12- 141K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 8, Invisible Life Fulfills Itself Tangibly & Visibly
- ... One of the barriers to our progress is that we let truth lie dormant in the back of our mind instead of praying without ceasing. * * * * * CONSCIOUSNESS DETERMINES OUR LIFE-EXPERIENCE Nothing can come into our experience except through our consciousness, so what our life will be depends on what we entertain in consciousness. If we entertain the idea of God as omnipresent Intelligence, Love, and Power, good is going to be our experience. Our responsibility is to be still and let Omnipresence flow. We need not take thought or plan anything; we just live whatever flows through, which will be every quality of God. Why? Because that is what we are entertaining in consciousness: God. We do not have to think thoughts of generosity, forgiveness, or abundance. We have only to abide in Omnipresence, Omniscience, and Omnipotence, and when we do that we lose all capacity for anything but God, and God flows through. We find ourselves being loving, generous, kind, and pure, but we have not had to take thought about it. What is in a consciousness that is not imbued with Omnipresence? What is left when God is taken out of our consciousness? Fear, ignorance, superstition, desire, anxiety, concern, get, give me, help me, I, me, mine! When God is absent from consciousness, we are living a life with all the accidental happenings that make up the human experience. Only when consciousness is filled with the presence of God is it true that nothing can enter "that defileth . . . or maketh a lie." 2 Holding good thoughts will not be a protection to us. The only protection is holding thought on God. There is no use thinking thoughts of safety or security or thoughts of abundance. Such thoughts will never bring these to us. A consciousness imbued with God is a consciousness full of love, life, forgiveness, sharing, peace on earth. We cannot have a consciousness filled with God and fail to understand that all mankind is really God in manifestation. Mankind as a whole is not showing this forth ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s Itself Tangibly & Visibly.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:24- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Living by Grace: Chapter 8, Message to Teachers on the Spiritual Path
- CHAPTER 8 MESSAGE TO TEACHERS ON THE SPIRITUAL PATH The ministry of Truth tempts many to enter the path to gratify their ego in being known as a practitioner or teacher or lecturer or leader or for some other desire for personal gratification. Be sure you have received the signal within, which is your passport on the journey. The greatest temptation above all others is having one's own concept of Truth. Complete discipleship comes only when all sense of personal knowledge of Truth disappears. While we are on earth, there is never a time when we are outside the range of temptation, because temptation is subtle. It can appear as the desire for prestige, wealth, or fame, or it can appear as the temptation to wield power. Once an individual has been touched by the Spirit, people believe that is not possible for them to sin. That is not true! The Bible is filled with those who succumbed to temptation. There was Judas. There was Lot's wife. There was Peter, who denied the Master. Even Jesus was tempted three times, although He did not succumb to these temptations. The person on the spiritual path, even if he is at the beginner's level, should become conscious of the fact that a wrong done by him or her is far more serious than a wrong done by others. A wrong done under the robe of the Spirit is a crime against the Spirit. There is only one Consciousness, so once God Consciousness has become the consciousness of the teacher and the teacher violates that God Consciousness, the penalty is great. That teacher loses the God Consciousness. It is of utmost importance, therefore, that everyone on the spiritual path, but especially those who would be teachers, maintain at all times a high degree of spiritual integrity. Coming into an Awareness of Spirit Healing work cannot be done with the mind, just as God cannot be reached through the mind. If you knew all the truth in metaphysical textbooks such as Science & Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, or Lessons in ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...chers on the Spiritual Path.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:47- 167K
Find Similar Documents
Practicing the Presence: Chapter VII, Meditation
- CHAPTER VII MEDITATION To him that hath shall be given . . . love the Lord thy God with all thy heart . . . love thy neighbor as thyself . . . I and my Father are one": These are important principles for any aspirant on the spiritual path. But how are these principles to be realized? It is one thing to state what is, but it is another thing to achieve it or accomplish it. Granted that there is this Father within of whom Jesus spoke, this Christ through which we can do all things, how then do we individually achieve the experience of the Christ, that is, how do we bring that divine Presence into our affairs? That is the important point. In The Infinite Way, the age-old theme of meditation and inner communion is emphasized, the practice of which enables a person to come out and be separate -whether he is sitting reverently in a church, whether he has retired to some quiet corner of his own home, or whether he is basking in the sunshine of a garden -and, forgetting the things of this world, to turn within and make contact with his inner forces, with that which we call God, the Father within, the Christ. The experience of the Christ is a present possibility; the way to that experience is through meditation. Far too many aspirants to the spiritual way of life know the letter of truth and are satisfied to stop there. "I and my Father are one" is the correct letter of truth. Does repeating these words or does an intellectual knowledge of them help us in any way? How often do we say: "I am God's perfect child; I am spiritual; I am divine"; and then find that we are just as poor as we were before, or in just as much trouble. These are only statements. It is similar to sitting in a dark room and saying over and over again, "Electricity gives light." That is a correct statement, but we shall still be sitting in the dark until, by turning on the switch, a connection is made with the source of electricity. So nothing is going to happen to us, regardless of how many affirmations ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ce_ Chapter VII, Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:02- 93K
Find Similar Documents
The Contemplative Life: Chapter 4, The Esoteric Meaning of the Easter Week
- ... If overnight you do not find yourself in that land of milk and honey, remember that it took Moses forty years to get there. It took Elijah quite a long time before he found the seven thousand who had not bowed their knees to Baal and who were saved out for him. It took Jesus three years to fulfill his spiritual ministry, and even then he had to encounter actual death before he could experience Resurrection and Ascension. So do not be surprised or disappointed if you fall down or fail many times. Everyone who has been this way before you has done the same. There are no great spiritual lights who have not come up through trials and tribulations of one sort or another, and probably those who have the greatest love in their hearts, those who have the greatest spiritual gifts of all, are those who have most deeply experienced failure and, therefore, know what it means to walk with us in our failures. Those who have risen highest and can still look down to where they were are the ones who help us the most on the way. Those who do not understand forgiveness do not understand love, and those who do not understand love do not understand the Spirit of the Lord God Almighty. The Final Step Must Be Taken Alone The spiritual life is an individual life. There are ways of receiving help from a teacher and from one another, but the final battle and final victory are entirely individual matters, which must be fought out in the consciousness of each one of us. Jesus probably could have received a little support from his disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane; he did not get very much, but the fact that he expected more showed that it was possible. But even if he had, he still had Golgotha, he still had the crucifix, and he still had the tomb. That had to be worked out in his own consciousness. Only those who have received the light can know what a terrible struggle it is before it comes. Moses was alone on the Mount when he received his light, and it must have been a tremendous ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Meaning of the Easter Week.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:38- 138K
Find Similar Documents