Seek Ye First: Chapter 2, The Spiritual Goal
- Chapter Two The Spiritual Goal On the spiritual path, we have a definite goal, a specific place to reach. That goal is not the gaining of good health, better morals, more abundant supply, satisfying companionship, or a beautiful home. These are the added things that come with the attainment of the goal. If we had these other things and did not attain our real goal, we would still have nothing but baubles and bangles, nothing but shadows. When we have attained our goal, we have all the added things as the fruitage, including permanent harmony, permanent peace, permanent health, and permanent abundance. The Experience, Not Words The first step is reaching the awareness of the presence of God. It is not the final one: it is the first one. We may intellectually agree that God is omnipresence, that the kingdom of God is within us, or that Christ dwells within us. This can in no way be considered the attainment of the goal. That is merely making a statement about it, merely affirming something that we hope eventually to experience. Our goal, however, is not the declaration and not the intellectual knowledge that there is an indwelling Christ: our goal is the actual experience of the Christ. We can talk about food forever and starve; we can talk about water forever and thirst. We must have the experience of eating and drinking in order to be satisfied. So talking about truth, voicing truth, or hearing messages of truth may be very well in its place, but it is not a very satisfactory place. We begin to know satisfaction only when we experience the Christ. Then we, too, can echo Paul's statement: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." 1 The ultimate goal is conscious union with God, but that goal is reached by comparatively few persons. Regardless of the efforts they may make, they are, for the most part, preparing themselves for that ultimate experience in some future life. There have not been many in the recorded history of the world who have attained ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 2, The Spiritual Goal.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:09- 124K
Find Similar Documents
The Altitude Of Prayer: Chapter 2, Creating A Vacuum For The Inflow Of The Spirit
- ~ 2 ~ CREATING A VACUUM FOR THE INFLOW OF THE SPIRIT PRAYER CAN NEVER BE ANSWERED unless there is a fitting preparation for prayer and unless the terms of prayer have been fulfilled. And there are terms. One of the terms is humility. Humility is the particular quality that admits God into our experience. True, as we develop spiritually, other qualities can make us more receptive and responsive to God, but one of the first qualities we must acquire is humility. TRUE HUMILITY Humanly our lives have been lived as if we of our own selves could accomplish wonders, as if we were sufficient unto ourselves, with all the wisdom, power, and strength necessary to go out and make or break this world. Too many of us have grown up with too much confidence and faith in our own powers and wisdom, and it is in this respect that the quality of humility must be developed in us. True humility is not self-depreciation, nor is it building an escape mechanism because of a faith in some unknown God or some unknown power. True humility understands that in the beginning God incarnated Itself * as our very being. God has imparted to us Its own nature and qualities. If we are loving, it is because there is a spark of God-love in us. If we are wise, it is because there is a spark of the infinite Wisdom in us. If we are well, it is because there is a spark of the divine Being in us. To understand our dependence upon the Infinite Invisible is the sense of humility that I ask you to ponder. It is not that you are less than another; it is not the sense of humility that bows down before some other human being: it is the humility that acknowledges a divine Grace, a divine Power, a supreme Being in operation. There is nothing of an enduring nature that man needs to pray for or about. That which is always has been, is now, and forever will be. Our praying will not bring it to pass one minute sooner than its time, nor would our cursing hold it back. That which God is doing God has been doing, and God ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...or The Inflow Of The Spirit.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:25- 120K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: July 1959, Spiritual Freedom
- CHAPTER SEVEN: JULY Spiritual Freedom IN the human scene, most people are primarily concerned with themselves, and after themselves, with their family, and after their family with their business or profession; but as they rise in spiritual consciousness, the problems of their community and those of their nation become important to them, and the higher they rise spiritually, the more keenly are they aware of world problems. It is doubtful if anyone can attain a very high level of spiritual consciousness without being made more aware of the world's problems than before he attained such spiritual consciousness. Why must that necessarily be true? The answer can be found in the one word "freedom." Above all others, the spiritually illumined person understands the real meaning of freedom, and because he himself has experienced it, he longs to share that same freedom with the whole world. He has discovered that actually the only problem facing the world is a lack of freedom. The human race is not and never has been free. It is enslaved-physically, politically, and economically-first of all, by itself, within itself, and within its own body. Moreover, it is chained by the physical habits and by the political and economic theories and beliefs of generations. For example, witness the extent to which the entire race is in slavery to money. It is only the mystic who is free of the limiting belief that dollar bills, pounds sterling, or some other form of currency controls one's destiny. The greater the heights of spiritual consciousness you reach, the more keenly will you become aware of the many, many forms of slavery which are binding men and women to a life of dissatisfaction and frustration, and simultaneously the stronger will become the urge within you to see them set free. That is why some people in the earliest stages of their spiritual growth become zealots with the drive of a Paul. They want to go out into the world and free all men, and like Paul, they often end up ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...uly 1959, Spiritual Freedom.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:02- 155K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Individual Consciousness as Law
- Individual Consciousness as Law Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth. JEREMIAH 9:23, 24 This statement from Jeremiah can be carried out in practical experience. We are not to glory in the world of effect, whether that effect appears as person, place, circumstance, condition, or thing, because the substance, the reality, does not lie in any effect. The power and the glory, the substance and the reality, the cause and the law lie in the Spirit which produces all that appears to us as form, circumstance, or condition. We can enjoy and use the things of this world, but our faith and confidence must not be centered in the world or in the things of the world. Our faith and confidence must be in the Spirit which produces, forms, and animates all that exists. No Power Acts upon Us The Infinite Way teaches that man is consciousness and that that very consciousness is the cause of body, business, and home. Many people believe that a discordant body, business, or home is due to a power outside of themselves, acting upon them. As long as we accept the belief that there is a power outside of us, just that long will we be seeking to get in touch with a good power to do something for us. If the belief is accepted that a law of time is acting upon our bodies and mentalities, our experience will be on that level. There is no power operating in our experience separate from our own consciousness, but as long as we believe that there is such a power and as long as we are trying to get in touch with it, we shall never contact it. The world has been praying to God for things. It is no more sensible to pray to God for things than it is to pray to the principle of electricity to light your house. Rejoice not ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...vidual Consciousness as Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:19- 120K
Find Similar Documents
The Mystical I: Chapter One, I Stand at the Door
- ... You are safety to those who are in danger; you are healing and health to those who are sick; you are prosperity to those who are poor, not by virtue of yourself-of yourself you are nothing-but by the grace of God which is within, by the spirit of God that is upon you. You are ordained to heal the sick, to raise the dead, to help the poor by the spirit of God to which you have opened yourself. Then all those who reach out to your consciousness receive that same spiritual blessing in proportion to their receptivity. But how can they become more receptive to God, to the Christ, to this spiritual influence? How can you become more receptive? By increasing your givingness. Receptivity is attained only through giving, through pouring out from the center of your being, and the more you give, the more receptive you are to the grace, the presence, and the healing power of God. What you have to give is an individual matter. The question that comes to you then is, "How am I to give? Out of what? I have so little." And the answer is, "That is not true. You have much to give. You have the grace of God; you have all of God, for God has given you all of Himself." The Master has told us some of the things that can be given: forgiveness, prayer. Learn to give forgiveness over and over and over again to your friends and to your enemies. You can pray; you can pray for your enemies. This is another form of giving: praying that your enemies be released from penalties, praying that their consciousness be opened to the light, praying that their sins be forgiven them, even as you would have your sins forgiven you. Receptivity is the key to spiritual attainment, and receptivity is attained through givingness. If you have a little change or more than a little to give, give and share it where you will. Remember, however, that givingness is not only the giving of material things, but is your attitude of forgiving, benevolence, peace, and good will toward all men. This is the real givingness: ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er One, I Stand at the Door.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:31- 117K
Find Similar Documents
A Message for the Ages: Chapter 6, Not Appearances But Is
- Chapter Six Not Appearances But Is The Infinite Way1 clearly states that a problem cannot be met on the level of the problem. Ninety percent of the failures in healing arise from ignorance of the meaning of that statement. When, from every human standpoint, a person appears to be dying, the immediate thought would probably be, "What are we going to do to save his life?" When a person talks of unhappiness in his marriage, our first thought runs to "What can be done to make the marriage a happy one?" When a person is unemployed, immediately there comes to mind, "What can we think or know to bring employment to him?" All this is a barrier to success in healing because no Infinite Way student is a healer of disease or of sin, nor is he an employment agency or a marriage counselor. He does not meet a problem on the level of the problem, so no matter what the person says about his problem, the Infinite Way student is not hearing it, and certainly he is not answering it because that would put him in the realm of a counselor or doctor. No problem can ever be met on the level of the problem. The Fluctuating Nature of Humanhood The picture that confronts us is that there is sick humanhood and well humanhood, sinful humanhood and pure humanhood, living humanhood and dead humanhood, and the purpose of the medical and ministerial world is to take that bad or erroneous humanhood and put it over onto the good side. But that does not in any way enter into our ministry. The function of our ministry is to ignore everything that is being told us about sin, disease, death, lack, limitation, and politics, and to go down through the center, through what we call the middle path. We do not think in terms of what a wonderful society it would be if only all politicians were honest, if everybody were humanly well, or if everybody had a sufficient income. We have had periods in American history where, on the whole, conditions were very good. The country made tremendous progress; the standard ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 6, Not Appearances But Is.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:56- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: April 19, 1964, Experience God
- EXPERIENCE GOD April 19, 1964 Between Two Worlds Honolulu, Hawaii WE ARE GOING to continue the subject "Between Two Worlds" and so, in your meditation, let thought go into that period between two worlds and see what kind of an unfoldment you can be aware of. The secret of the two worlds is buried within your own consciousness and, regardless of how much I may tell you about it, you still will not know it until you have received confirmation, instruction, or inspiration on it from within your Self. Please remember this: This Infinite Way message is unique in that it does not teach you to rely on the teaching, the books, or the revelator. The Infinite Way has a teacher and books and teachings only for the purpose of leading you back to the kingdom of God within your Self, so that you may be taught of God. Always remember that the world has lost truth because the followers of religious teachings have begun to let the Buddha or Jesus Christ or Paul carry on for them. Even in modern teachings there has been the acknowledgment that Mrs. Eddy and Mrs. Fillmore and Ernest Holmes were God- inspired, and then their followers took the attitude of sitting at the feet of the Master. To be instructed is right and as it should be, but you must not plan to spend your life there. The major problem in my personal life is that of trying to avoid any relationship between my students and myself or the students of our teachers, whereby the individual begins to believe that we are God-inspired and so "let us sit and partake of his or her light." That is good up to a certain point, but remember that we in The Infinite Way are not trying to develop a following, nor are we trying to develop fame or fortune. I at least, and some of the teachers who have learned from me, are trying (sometimes even against the pressure of students) to bring to you the awareness that you have just as much access to the kingdom of God as we have. If you want to heal, you can do as much as any of us have done. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...il 19, 1964, Experience God.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:06- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: January 10, 1964, Three Lost Secrets
- THREE LOST SECRETS January 10, 1964 GOOD EVENING. For your meditation will you please ponder this: You have not come here to hear me, nor to receive a message from me. You have come here to be instructed by the spirit that is within you, to hear the still small voice that is within you, and my part is merely that you may be lifted up to the point of spiritual apprehension or spiritual discernment-not discernment of what I say but discernment of what is revealed within you. It is possible that something may come through my lips that may be the message that you will receive, but do not be surprised if you hear something tonight and discover later that I never said it-if you are not here to see or hear a man but to receive the grace of God. Because if two or more of us unite in this meditation, we will be lifted up to that point of spiritual discernment; then the voice can speak, either through my lips or it may speak directly through your consciousness. I would like to talk tonight about three lost secrets. They are not lost in the sense that they have been lost to consciousness, but they have been lost from mankind. The only reason you have them in active form today is through revelation because, although they exist as written words, they are passed over as if they were not major factors-and they are sadly misinterpreted. Let us take first, secrecy. Secrecy is one of the lost principles of life. What we call benevolence or charity or brotherly love is the second lost secret and, through these, we will come to the third. You must remember that there are two major forms of life, just as there are two major forms of religious life. One form is that which you meet in all religions; it is the religion of the Old Testament, the moral law, the Ten Commandments. It is the Old Testament teaching of "love the lord thy God" and "love thy neighbor as thyself" -to which has been added ceremonies, rituals and rites. This, you might say, is a beginning form of religion, ideally ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...0, 1964, Three Lost Secrets.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:13- 102K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: July 14, 1963, Removing the Veil
- REMOVING THE VEIL July 14, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel GOOD AFTERNOON. Almost everybody comes to the study of The Infinite Way for the "loaves and fishes." Only rarely does anyone come to learn the truth of life; but sooner or later those who remain in this message are forced into making a decision: "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve," God or demonstration-seeking God or seeking through God to get more and better human good. As we seek and discover the kingdom of God, things are "added unto us" on the spiritual path, but by then we are no longer interested in the things. We learn that Moses put a veil on truth and Jesus Christ removed it; but remember if Moses placed a veil on truth it must have been unveiled when it came into his possession or awareness, and of course it was. Truth had been revealed in Egypt, and because of this Egypt knew centuries of great prosperity and experienced the discovery of great natural laws. Moses received his earliest training in Egypt and, while he did not receive truth there, eventually he was turned in the right direction so that truth could be revealed to him at the right moment. Because it was revealed, it enabled him to be the means through which the Hebrews were taken out of slavery and brought into the promised land. He veiled the truth from the people, perhaps because of some early experience in trying to reveal it, or because his Egyptian training had convinced him that truth should be veiled. Many Hebrew prophets between Moses and Jesus discovered the truth, but there is no known record of any of them, with the possible exception of Isaiah, making an effort to reveal to the people the secret. Jesus removed the veil and he was crucified for it. Authority, whether in the church or in the government, did not rest well if the people knew the truth. That condition does not exist at the present time; the church today is as eager to know the truth as the people are. It is very much aware that at the moment it has not found ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...14, 1963, Removing the Veil.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:14- 111K
Find Similar Documents
God Formed Us For His Glory: Chapter 8, Illumined Prayer
- Chapter Eight Illumined Prayer God is at the center of our being, and in one way or another It can make Itself known to us. It may be interpreted as sound or as light. Many persons, however, do not hear sound or see light: they merely have a feeling of the presence. But in whatever way It translates Itself to a person, It is an evidence of Immanuel, God with us. Whether we hear, see, or feel something, that something is an effect, not God. It is the effect of the invisible presence called God. I, myself, am neither clairvoyant nor clairaudient. I have no psychic gifts whatever, and never have had, so I have not had some of the experiences others may have had. Only Those of Spiritual Vision Can Witness the Ascension Had we been present when Jesus walked the earth after his entombment, following the crucifixion, we might have been one of the five hundred who saw Jesus and spoke with him, or one of the multitudes who said that Jesus had been buried and his friends had taken the body away, leaving the tomb empty. Had we been one of those five hundred who saw him, we would have been one of those of spiritual vision who became a follower of the Master. Had we been one of the multitudes who did not witness him walking the earth, we would have been one of those earthbound persons who sees only what he believes or believes only what he sees; one of those who, if he cannot see it, hear it, taste it, touch it, or smell it, does not believe. The Hebrews of those days saw only the body that was entombed; those who saw Jesus walk the earth again became the Christians. If those of us on the three-dimensional level of life had been present with Enoch, Elijah, or Jesus, we would most likely not have been aware that they ascended or were translated because unless we had the spiritual vision of the fourth-dimensional consciousness, we would not have witnessed it. Instead we would have seen what we call a corpse or the mortal remains right where everyone else in the third-dimensional ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 8, Illumined Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:32- 125K
Find Similar Documents