1954 Infinite Way Letters: Chapter 10, The Great Secret
- ~ 10 ~ THE GREAT SECRET When the Master, Christ Jesus, said, ". . . resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also," He gave us a great spiritual wisdom which, within myself, I call "The Great Secret." This wisdom has been known to spiritual teachers throughout the ages, but it has never been made clear to the world because, unless one understands the principle involved, it would be utterly impossible to obey. We have found it impossible not to resent the injustices and the inequalities, the indignities and the disturbing persons and conditions of human existence, yet we are told, "Resist not evil." Deep within each of us is a point of quietness which is an area of consciousness into which nothing of the world can enter, and which is never disturbed by any thing or any person or any condition. This point of consciousness is like a deep, clear pool of water, and nothing can even ruffle its surface of quietness and stillness. This is the non-resistant state of consciousness which is much like Lao Tzu's illustration of the little stream which runs around and over and between the rocks, finding a channel here and a little groove there, never resisting the obstacles or trying to wear them down or push them away, but goes merrily on its way. In order to enter this state of quietness, which is a necessary experience to all of us, let us begin, first of all, by acknowledging that there is no one and no thing in all this universe which, in and of themselves, has power to disturb or harm us, but that whatever disturbance or harm comes to us lies in our re-action to the person, the circumstance, or the condition. As long as we are maintaining ourselves in accord with our own highest sense of right and integrity what difference could it make if someone hated or disliked or misunderstood us? Who is hurt if we are misunderstood or disliked except the one who misunderstands? Of course, if we fail in maintaining our own sense of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 10, The Great Secret.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:55- 111K
Find Similar Documents
Our Spiritual Resources: Chapter Three, The Practicality of Spiritual Living
- ... On the other hand, can you picture the joyful experience of going through life being friends with anybody and everybody in the whole world, knowing that no one has anything you need or want and you have nothing anyone else needs or wants, that all you require unfolds to you from within your own being? That makes sharing a double delight because it is a heartwarming experience to share with those who do not expect it of you or feel that you are under any obligation to them. There is no room in spiritual living or in a spiritual activity for selfishness. The law of God is a law of love and cannot be utilized for selfish purposes. Love is one of the great attributes of God and must be expressed in our daily experience if we are to live in accordance with God's law. We are expressing love in proportion as we release the world of men and women from every form of bondage. When we hold an individual responsible for his sins, we hold him in bondage; but when we loose him and let him go in forgiveness, if necessary in the realization that he knows not what he is doing, we are fulfilling the law of love. There are those in our experience who humanly owe us an obligation, and we express our love by inwardly releasing them from that obligation, but love does not mean that human obligations can be ignored or responsibility shirked with impunity. In fact, sometimes the highest form of love is to require someone to fulfill his responsibility, thereby helping him to fulfill the law of love and giving him an opportunity to grow and live according to the high ethical standards the spiritual life demands. That does not mean, however, that spiritually we hold him in bondage to his debt or obligation, or in any sense are tempted to believe that our own demonstration can ever be affected by the attitude or actions of anyone else. For example, according to all standards of business ethics, partners have obligations to one another, but spiritually, inwardly, each should release the other ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...icality of Spiritual Living.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:00- 109K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XXIV, The Master Alchemist
- CHAPTER XXIV THE MASTER ALCHEMIST Too many Occidentals believe that the mystical life is not only impractical, but largely a figment of the imagination. In this age, however, the way of mysticism is being shown to be, not something mythical, mysterious, or occult, but spiritual, and a far more practical way of life than any yet devised in the human realm. It changes life from the everyday humdrum human experience with its trials and tribulations and its ups and downs to an entirely different kind of life, one lived from within, and yet not lived by us, but rather lived through us-a life in which we pass from living by taking thought and by our own effort to living by the Spirit. The Master Christ Jesus taught his followers to "resist not evil," to cease from strife of all kinds whether by the sword or the law, and to give twice as much in return if something were taken from them. Such a teaching sounds very impractical for this day and age, but as a matter of fact, it is far more practical than living a life dependent for its security and safety upon an army, navy, and air force: not only would we be relieved of the staggering expense of maintaining them, but we would also be relieved of any danger from an enemy because in this way of life there are no enemies. It would be as impossible to live with this transcendental Presence and have an enemy as it would be to live with It and then find oneself in danger from snakes, wild animals, starvation, or any other form of physical or mental discord. This is a very difficult idea for the human mind to grasp. What the unillumined mind sees, hears, tastes, touches, and smells seems so real, and the material and mental universe looks so real, that nothing could be considered quite as ridiculous as to stand before the highest temporal authority of the day and calmly state, "Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above," or to say, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... XXIV, The Master Alchemist.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:02- 107K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 9, 1964, Christ Coming Into Ascendancy
- CHRIST COMING INTO ASCENDANCY February 9, 1964 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii IT IS PRESUMED that Jesus was admitted to the Order of the Essenes shortly after he was twelve years of age, or probably in coming to manhood in the Hebrew faith at the age of thirteen, and he was graduated when he was thirty. In all of the wisdom schools a normal period of study would be from six to nine years. You may wonder at that and why it is that our students go through a week or two of classes and then expect to be graduated as ministers or healers. The secret of course, is that it is not the knowledge that you acquire in class that qualifies you for a title or an activity, but the material that is given to you in class is meant to be the substance that forms the new consciousness, that which enables you to die and be reborn. This is illustrated in tape number 4, side 1 of this 1964 Honolulu Series, in which we have had a different unfoldment each week leading up to this last one-and yet all of this is meant only as the substance with which we are to work to form the new consciousness. In the First Degree, which consists of the earliest years in your wisdom school, you are taught a reliance on God. In fact you are really taught that there is a God, and you are taught the nature of God and the nature of your reliance. Then you are taught a moral code such as the Ten Commandments. Through this study and practice you learn how to love your neighbor as yourself by being honest in your dealings, generous, loyal, faithful, benevolent, forgiving. It takes several years of practice before you can really say, "There is greater integrity in my human relationships, family relationships, business and community relationships. There is a greater sense of benevolence and mutual helpfulness." It takes time to bring yourself to the top of that First Degree. Of old there was a Second Degree, which we can eliminate today because we are living in a state of society that embraces the Second ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...rist Coming Into Ascendancy.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:11- 93K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 19, 1963, An Idea Whose Time Has Come
- AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME May 19, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel ON MAY 12 WE STARTED off with this paragraph: "There is a principle of life not yet known to the world, but known to you through your studies of The Infinite Way. The effects of this principle have been known throughout all known time, but the principle itself has not been known." The principle of which I spoke is that truth received and embodied in consciousness becomes known worldwide without any human effort or human striving. Just by abiding within one's Self with the revealed truth, it has a way of establishing itself. This does not always happen as quickly as we would like it to happen, but when we are dealing with truth we must learn that "a thousand years is as one day and one day can be as a thousand years." 1 There will be periods of thousands of years when little progress seems to be made, then suddenly in one day more progress is made than in a thousand years. This was illustrated by the Civil War. The idea of giving freedom to the Negro was not really a result of the Civil War; in fact, the Civil War was a failure and did not give that freedom. However, the fact that it took place was in line with all that had been unfolding in human consciousness since the days of Greece, on up through the Magna Carta, the French Revolution, the American Revolution, the Brazilian Revolution. All of this is the out breaking into human experience of an idea in consciousness. I believe it was last week that we were given the quotation of Victor Hugo: "Nothing is so powerful as an idea whose time has come." Ordinarily this quotation is attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, because it was he who made the quotation famous. But strangely, in the editorial in this morning's newspaper it is correctly attributed to Victor Hugo, and in the correct manner in which we used it last week. In other words "its time has come," and nothing is going to stop the breaking down of racial prejudice. Furthermore, if you had access ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...An Idea Whose Time Has Come.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:19- 107K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 4, Fulfillment of Consciousness
- ~ 4 ~ FULFILLMENT OF CONSCIOUSNESS Heav'n the Vision of fulfill'd Desire, and hell the Shadow from a Soul on fire. OMAR KHAYYÁM Everyone who has had the experience of a fulfilled life knows that it is heaven. Everyone who is doing the work he loves to do is in heaven. Heaven is the fulfillment of our own consciousness. Each one of us is in this world because of a divine plan. No one came here by accident; no one came merely through physical creation. All of us are part of a universal plan, and that plan is the fulfillment of God. It is not that any one of us, for some special reason, has been given an unfoldment of truth and an opportunity for study and practice, but that truth, itself, is fulfilling and expressing itself, and we are the transparency as which it appears to the world. Truth is fulfilling itself in some way through or as you, although that fulfillment may not be apparent at the moment. Certainly it is true that most of the people in the world are not fulfilling their destiny as God made manifest and love unfolded and disclosed. The human scene has seemed to cut us off from the divine, so we have accepted a separate identity and have tried to fulfill it. Whether or not we succeed in the outer realm will not determine our fulfillment of heaven. It is the fulfillment of the inner consciousness that is heaven, and it may fulfill itself as a businessman or as a professional man, but it is still consciousness fulfilling itself on the level of consciousness. Success in business, of itself, does not bear witness to the attainment of heaven. Many successful people are unhappy because they are not successful at the particular work which would be the fulfillment of their heart's desire. We have had the experience of studying truth in order to get a healing or to demonstrate supply or success and then have come to the place where we were not satisfied. We may have attained our health or prosperity or success, but still we were not happy. Why? Because those ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ulfillment of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:34- 101K
Find Similar Documents
Man Was Not Born to Cry: Chapter 12, The Prince of Peace
- ~ 12 ~ THE PRINCE OF PEACE The full significance of Christmas can never be known except through an understanding of the unchanging nature of God, the God who is eternally and everlastingly the same yesterday, today, and forever. That which is of God always has been, that which has been is now, and that which is now always will be. To understand this reveals that the real Christmas did not begin two thousand years ago: it began in the beginning, before time was. What took place two thousand years ago was merely the revelation of an experience that has been continuous, not only since "before Abraham was," 1 but since before time was. God did not inaugurate anything new two thousand years ago. The true meaning of Christmas is that God planted in individual consciousness the seed that was to evolve as his Son. No one has ever existed, exists now, or ever will exist without this spiritual influence and power having been implanted in his consciousness from the beginning. The function of the Son of God was made clear through the ministry of Jesus Christ when he revealed, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly" 2 -not I, Jesus, but I, the Son of God. Jesus said, "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. . . . I of mine own self do nothing . . . 3 I am the bread of life . . . 4 I am the resurrection, and the life." 5 That was the Son of God speaking. Jesus was not all this: it was the Son of God speaking through him-the same Son of God which is in the midst of all of us as it has been in the midst of every individual since the beginning of time. Go Within to Find the Peace Established from the Beginning There is a story which tells of an ancient king who himself was peaceful, just, merciful, and kind, but who had a neighbor-king intent on war and conquest. Because of the nature of his being, the just and merciful king sent an ambassador to the neighboring king to seek peace. Meanwhile, to protect his people, he began to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 12, The Prince of Peace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:59- 133K
Find Similar Documents
The Contemplative Life: Chapter 12, The Spiritual Christmas
- ~ 12 ~ THE SPIRITUAL CHRISTMAS In the account of the advent of the Christ in the Gospel according to St. Luke, the Christ was born in a manger because "there was no room for them in the inn." 1 There was no room in the inn, and so the Christ was born in the stable of the inn. Esoterically, the meaning of this is that the human consciousness, which is the place of enjoyment, comfort, and revelry, never has room for the Christ. When there is a sufficiency of supply, health, and the comforts of home life, rarely is there room in that consciousness for the Christ, and because of this human complacency, usually it is only when sickness, sin, or poverty is experienced that consciousness is ready to receive the revelation of the Christ. More often than not, it is the sick, the sinning, and the poor who are the seekers. Probably in the beginning they seek relief only from their evil, discordant, or unhappy conditions, but sooner or later they awaken to the fact that there is a deeper meaning to the activity of the Christ than merely the healing of the sick or even the raising of the dead. It is then that consciousness is opened to receive the spiritual Impulse. Within the consciousness of every person in the world, and in the consciousness of all those who have been here and of all those who have not yet come to this plane of existence, there is this spiritual Spark, that which is called the Christ, a Spark which is kindled only as man seeks for It and learns to turn within to find It. Isaiah Reveals the Christ In trying to understand the Christ, it is necessary to know Its function and the meaning of the kind of a life that is lived when the Christ is realized. More than any other Hebrew prophet, Isaiah caught the vision of the Christ, and from beginning to end the Book of Isaiah is replete with wisdom concerning the Christ: Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...12, The Spiritual Christmas.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:39- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: July 1956, Transition From Law to Grace
- CHAPTER SEVEN: JULY Transition from Law to Grace Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. . . . Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. Hebrews II: I, 3 EVEN as Abraham, the father of the Hebrew race, journeyed long distances in time and space, not knowing whereto or why, so must we travel long distances in consciousness to arrive at a destined place where is found heaven-spiritual harmony, spiritual freedom, spiritual grace. We, as Infinite Way students, are pilgrims on that journey. All of us are seeking a life by grace, and in order to make any progress on this spiritual journey, we must understand the importance of faith in the unknown. As human beings, from the moment of conception until the moment of death, we are under the law of Moses, which is a karmic law. We are Under the laws of nature, of weather, climate, food, race, religion, creed, dogma. We are under the law of revenge-an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. These Mosaic and karmic laws are made up of both good and evil. We do not choose to come under the law -we are under the law simply by virtue of being born, and we remain under the law until we, individually, remove ourselves from it. There are no ministers, priests, or rabbis who can set aside the law of the Ten Commandments, the karmic law, or the laws of human nature. It is something each one must do for himself by an act of consciousness. It is something you must do as specifically as you must resist the various temptations that crowd your particular individual life-by an act of conscious will. If you are tempted to envy that which others possess, it is you who, by an act of consciousness, must determine to be satisfied with that which is received from God and to covet nothing that belongs to another. If the temptations were to come to steal, to lie, to commit adultery, you would have to reject ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ransition From Law to Grace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:02- 147K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XII, Resist Not
- CHAPTER XII RESIST NOT To live the spiritual life means to live above the human sense of life, to live without recourse to human modes and means, that is, to live by the Christ. It means never to return evil for evil, never to pray or hope or wish or desire that another suffer for his offense-even his offense to us-never to desire to recoup our losses, which is the human way of life and, under our laws, legal. But legal or not, this is not the way of the Christ. True, if someone defrauds us, it is considered legitimate, proper, and right to sue him, but such procedure is not spiritual. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. MATTHEW 5:40 If someone were to counsel us, "I say to you, you must stop your lawsuits. If anybody wants to take your property, let him have it; if he wants your home, let him take it; if he takes your automobile, let him have it; and if he decides to come in and get your jewelry, let him have that too, and then look around and see if you cannot give him a few extra things in addition to what he already has taken," such advice would seem contrary to all reason. But that is what Jesus tells us to do in the fifth chapter of the Gospel of Matthew, and at this moment we have no way of knowing whether he was right or wrong. We have no way of knowing whether we might not benefit twice over by obeying that very command because most of us have not tried the resist-not-evil way of life; and moreover, until we have reached that state of consciousness, it would probably be very unwise for us to try it. At first thought, such a teaching might seem to mean that we are to let anybody and everybody walk all over us, defraud and take from us all that we have while we are just the sweet gentle things that permit ourselves to be walked on. But Jesus the Christ never meant that. What he meant was that we should not retaliate humanly, but he did not say what would happen spiritually if his advice were followed. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ce_ Chapter XII, Resist Not.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:40- 113K
Find Similar Documents