Consciousness Transformed: February 24, 1963, Self-Surrender
- SELF-SURRENDER February 24, 1963 Halekulani Hotel SOMETIMES WE WONDER how it is that the message of the Master was lost. When we stop to think of the fact that he spoke to people who could not read or write for the most part, then we do not wonder any more. The miracle is that anyone remembered what is in the four Gospels, because they were written thirty years after the crucifixion. In other words, someone had to remember for thirty years in order to give us even the little that we have. I believe this is the reason we have so little of the Master's teachings. We today are in a different position. When anyone speaks today, their words can be preserved in writing, in recordings, and in so many different forms, that a message that proves good today should never become lost. For the past two weeks we have been on a subject, a principle of life really, that should change the nature of our lives- not because we have heard the message but because, in addition to hearing it, we have it on paper and this paper will serve as a reminder. The principle with which we were concerned last week is probably the most important principle in all mystical literature on mystical living. To hear it once is good but, unless it actually registers within us, it does not do too much for us. Therefore, the responsibility rests upon us to practice it, to work with it, and to meditate upon the principle until we are able to demonstrate it. Now let us go back to last week for just a moment. Remember that the principle revealed was the fact that spiritually we live in God, we are supported by God, we are sustained by God. I have an illustration. Some of you remember the hymn, "When All Material Streams Are Dry, Thy Fullness Is the Same." Many of us have experienced this. Through a deadly disease, or a period of lack or some circumstance of human relationships, we come to a place in our lives where there is no material help. Our back is against the wall. There is no human means of help available, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ry 24, 1963, Self-Surrender.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:12- 91K
Find Similar Documents
Invisible Supply: Chapter 2, Secrecy, The Primal Mystical Principle
- ... If we keep our needs locked up secretly within ourselves, before long the fulfillment comes, because the Father within us, who sees in secret, rewards openly. Virtues Are Shouted from the Housetops As you hold "I and my Father are one" in sacredness and secrecy within yourself, remember that it also means that "I and my neighbor are one," because we are children of the same Father. We are branches of the same tree. We are united in the tree of life. When you abide in this within yourself, you will never have to voice it. It will be shouted from the housetops that love, compassion, helpfulness, mutuality, and cooperation govern your relationships with others. It is the same thing as being honest or moral. You do not have to tell anyone that you are honest or moral because, as Emerson tells us, "What you are shrieks so loudly I cannot hear what you say." Therefore, if there is integrity in us, let us not tell each other about it. Let the other person find it out. If there is mortality in us, let us not tell anyone about it; let them find out for themselves. If there is charity or forgiveness in us, let us not tell anyone about it. Let them find out about it. By our very secrecy, God will in some way make our character known to the world. We will never have to voice it, and we will have the benefit that accrues to us from holding within ourselves our secret good and our relationship with God. One of the evils of talking is that we "leak" our good. It is as if you had invented something and told everybody about it and by the time you applied for a patent, someone else would have already patented it. It is like the woman who waited months for the sales to buy a heavy winter coat with fur trimming at half price. When the coats were on sale, she immediately phoned her friends and relatives to tell them about it. When she went to the store, she found that the coats had all been sold. Our outer experience is the externalization of our state of consciousness. We do not have ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...e Primal Mystical Principle.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:38- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 4, Open Out a Way
- ~ 4 ~ OPEN OUT A WAY Since there seems to be a sense of separation between the Father and us, and between all those who are to play a part in our life's experience, our work is to realize our oneness with the Father, the one consciousness, and then we automatically become one with every spiritual being. There is but one consciousness, and that consciousness, functioning as your consciousness and as mine, is the connecting link between you and your world and me and my world, establishing us in oneness with all those who are a part of our fulfillment. Unless we wish to engage in a daily battle of competition, a daily battle of trying to work with persons antagonistic to our ideas, unless we wish to take our chance with whether we will have the right employer or right employee, or whether we will deal with those who are the right people for us or the wrong- unless we wish to do that, we must establish firmly our oneness with the Father before we leave our home in the morning to embark upon any enterprise, commercial, social, or ministerial, realizing that the consciousness of the Father, which is our consciousness, is the consciousness of every individual. Therefore, all those ready for the experience of association with us, by the attraction of that consciousness, are brought to us, and in the same way, we are led to everyone we can serve or bless. When we understand our connection with the vine, we do not compete with any man. We do not fight, we do not war with him or sue him because we have access to the infinite source of our being, and it is this source that feeds and supplies us even while it is feeding and supplying all the other branches on the tree. So instead of looking to one another for our needs, we learn to look to the one universal life that is flowing through all of us, and receive our good from it. Then everything works together for good, and we are led to where we can work with others, benefit from and cooperate with them, and yet not live off them. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 4, Open Out a Way.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:40- 117K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 4, The Operation Of The "Arm Of Flesh" & The Operation Of Truth
- ~ 4 ~ THE OPERATION OF THE "ARM OF FLESH" AND THE OPERATION OF TRUTH THE RELIGIOUS LITERATURE AND FOLKLORE OF THE WORLD have a theme running through them which is not often understood and is sometimes taken lightly, a theme exemplified in statements such as these: "The Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.1 . . . I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."2 There is Something beyond human understanding which at some time or other plays a very great part in our experience and in the lives of the spiritually illumined. Accounts of something of a miraculous nature, always present in time of need, can be found in every mystical teaching. Eventually religious teachings were built up that gave not only the promise of something Divine, but also of another presence, the devil, Satan, evil, the angel of death, so that there were good influences in the lives of those who were entitled to the good and evil influences in the experience of those who were deserving of some evil. The ideal of the supernatural is a dominant theme in mythological literature. In the mythology of Hawaii, there are the menahunes who are always out doing some good thing that the people humanly could not do for themselves. The Irish, too, have their leprechauns. In folk literature, always this something or other that is a protective influence in the experience of the people is present. In the opera Parsifal the entire cast of characters created by Richard Wagner exemplifies the awakening of the Soul. The story centers around the Soul- unfoldment of three men. One of these is Titurel, an old man who had lived a very good pure life as the keeper of the Holy Grail. He did his work nobly, protecting the Grail from theft and harm, and when he retired, his son, Amfortas, succeeded him. But the son was not as conscientious as his father, nor was he as pure, and the Holy Grail no longer served its noble purpose. Amfortas became involved with Kundry, a woman of questionable morals, and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...h_ & The Operation Of Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:43- 118K
Find Similar Documents
Practicing the Presence: Chapter III, God the Only Power
- CHAPTER III GOD THE ONLY POWER Thus saith the Lord, the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. ISAIAH 44:6 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. DEUTERONOMY 6:5 Throughout all time, scripture has revealed that God is the only power, but who has accepted this literally? Even in the Bible, there are accounts of people fighting, one against another. The teaching of most religionists of the world has been that there are two powers, the power of God and the power of the devil: The power of God is good and blesses; the power of the devil is evil and damns. Always there are these two powers; always God is battling the devil for control of man's soul; and always the question is: Who is going to win? Today it is the same story. Accidents, disasters, and sickness are explained either on the basis of two powers, or by making God responsible for these evils. How can God be held responsible for any evil in the light of the message and mission of the Master, which was the healing of the sick, the raising of the dead, the feeding of the hungry, and the overcoming of every kind of disaster. The Master said, "I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill," so none of these things can possibly be the will of God. In the presence of God, there is no evil. If God tolerates the sin, disease, and death that we are experiencing, what chance have we to survive or overcome them? If God is permitting these evils, or if God is a human parent teaching us a lesson, how can we rise above them and return to the Father's house? From the very beginning of our spiritual study, we have learned that God is the one power, the all-power, and not only the all-power, but the all-good power. Is it then possible for an all-good power to create, permit, tolerate, or send forth evil? In The Infinite Way, we engage in what is called spiritual healing so we must have a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter III, God the Only Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:02- 120K
Find Similar Documents
Practicing the Presence: Chapter V, Love Thy Neighbor
- ... If we are harboring within us personal animosity, or if we are indulging in national or religious hatred, prejudice, or bigotry, our prayers are worthless. We must go to God with clean hands in order to pray, and to approach God with clean hands, we must relinquish our animosities. Within ourselves, we must first of all pray the prayer of forgiveness for those who have offended us, since they know not what they do; and secondly, acknowledge within ourselves: "I stand in relationship to God as a son, and therefore, I stand in relationship to every man as a brother." When we have established that state of purity within ourselves, then we can ask the Father: Give me grace; give me understanding; give me peace; give me this day my daily bread-give me this day spiritual bread, spiritual understanding. Give me forgiveness, even for those harmless trespasses which I have unwittingly committed. The person who turns within for light, for grace, for understanding, and for forgiveness never fails in his prayers. The law of God is the law of love, the law of loving our enemies-not fearing them, not hating them, but loving them. No matter what an individual does to us, we are not to strike back. To resist evil, to retaliate, or to seek revenge is to acknowledge evil as reality. If we resist evil, if we refute ... Let us never accept a human being into our consciousness who needs healing, employing, or enriching because if we do, we are his enemy instead of his friend. If there is any man, woman, or child we believe to be sick, sinning, or dying, let us do no praying until we have made peace with that brother. The peace we must make with that brother is to ask forgiveness for making the mistake of sitting in judgment on any individual because everyone is God in expression. All is God manifested. God alone constitutes this universe; God constitutes the life, the mind, and the Soul of every individual. "Thou shalt not bear false witness against they neighbor" has a much broader ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter V, Love Thy Neighbor.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:02- 108K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 12, Truth Takes Over Your Life
- ... Let Thy love flow through me that I may be wise, loving, benevolent, just. This is somewhat like Solomon's prayer when he took over his high office, that he be given God's wisdom. As you surrender yourself to God's government, to the reign of God, to the spiritual center of man that man may be spiritually-inspired and God-endowed, you are in some measure dealing more wisely, kindly, lovingly, benevolently, and more justly with your neighbor-and more forgivingly with your enemy. And if I wish to be God-governed, I must be still. I must be still and let God's government take over. Yes, there are certain things I must do to prepare myself for God's government. I've learned this from the Master: not to expect God's government if I'm holding somebody in desire for revenge. If I'm holding somebody in hate, there's no way for God to break through my consciousness. The reason is- this comes to you at this stage of unfoldment-that God is love. But God is not a love out here that comes to me. God is a love that I let flow out from me. But since love means forgiveness, benevolence, cooperation, mutuality, sharing, giving, there is no love in me unless those qualities are being expressed. Therefore, to fit myself for God's government, which means the government of love, I must make myself an instrument through which love can flow. And so, step by step, we are strengthened until the day comes when we realize that now we can rest at will in God and let that Spirit that flows through us, that Robe that envelops us, be the prayer, the benediction, and the healing to our community and to the world. We become the light of the world as we bring ourselves to a state of consciousness in which we do not battle the errors of the world, but in which we become completely still and let the Spirit of God nullify and dissolve the pictures of sense. No longer will we struggle with error, but rest, relax, and bear witness to God functioning on earth as in heaven. Above all, we will never forget ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...vernment of Eden_Chapter 12.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:07- 64K
Find Similar Documents
The Infinite Way: Prayer
- PRAYER "YE ASK, and receive not, because ye ask amiss," says the Apostle James. Have you ever thought of this when you have prayed for some time, and then found no answer to your prayer? "Ye ask amiss." There is the reason. Prayer, when based on the belief that there is a need unfilled or a desire unsatisfied, is never in accord with true scientific prayer. A prayer for God to do something, send something, provide, or heal is equally without power. It is sometimes believed that God requires a channel through which to fulfill our prayer, and this leads us to look outside ourselves for the answer. We may believe that supply can come to us; and, therefore, we watch for the person or position through which it is to come; or we may be depending on a healer or teacher as the channel through which the healing is to come. "Ye ask amiss." Any belief that that which we are seeking is anywhere but within us, within our very own consciousness, is the barrier separating us in belief from our harmony. True prayer is never addressed to a Being outside ourselves, nor does true prayer expect anything from outside our own being. "The kingdom of God is within you," and all good must be sought there. Recognizing God to be the reality of our being, we know that all good is inherent in that Being, your being and mine. God is the substance of our being; and, therefore, we are eternal and harmonious. God is life, and this Life is self-sustained. He is our Soul, and we are pure and immortal. God is the consciousness of the individual, and this constitutes the intelligence of our being. Rightly speaking, there is not God and you, but God is ever manifest as you, and this is the oneness which assures you of infinite good. God is the life, mind, body, and substance of individual being; therefore, nothing can be added to any individual, and true prayer is the constant recognition of this truth. Conscious awareness of our true being - of the infinite nature and character of our only being - ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...es/The Infinite Way_ Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:14- 93K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 13, Individual Consciousness
- ~ 13 ~ INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS The principle of life, which we all must learn, is that we cannot have anything until we first have the consciousness of that thing. If we were given a million dollars, we probably could not hold on to it, unless, in some way, we had developed the consciousness of a million dollars. That is one of the reasons why fortunes are lost. Those who inherit fortunes, even some of the people who earn them, cannot keep them, because if there is not a consciousness of wealth behind the inheritance or the amassing of a fortune, it will be dissipated, sooner or later, in one way or another. The same principle applies to every situation. In order to have a beautiful home, it is necessary to have the consciousness of a beautiful home. Without that, a home would be only a house, and either its owner might or might not decorate and furnish it in good taste, or it might be furnished by someone else in conformity with the prevailing fashion of the day. The principle of life-the principle of life-is consciousness. We must have the consciousness of a thing in order to have the thing itself. The first step in this work is attaining the conscious awareness of the presence of God. There are many ways of doing this. One method is outlined in The Infinite Way in the chapter on "Meditation," in which, upon awakening in the morning, you fill yourself with the consciousness of truth, with the realization of God's presence. Then, throughout the day, you should continue to recognize and realize the presence and the allness of God. Whether you are receiving or disbursing money, whether you are eating or drinking, always recognize God as the source. Acknowledge God, acknowledge Christ as the reality of your being. If you persist in that throughout the day and evening, even if for only brief periods, you will find that within a short time, your thought will become so spiritualized that your outer experience will be transformed. The statement, "I live; yet not I, but ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...3, Individual Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:29- 128K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 18, God, Omnipresent and the Only Power
- ~ 18 ~ GOD, OMNIPRESENT AND THE ONLY POWER MOST PEOPLE COME TO A STUDY OF TRUTH seeking release from the cares and the ills of the world, and for a while it is a very satisfying experience to know that all manner of problems can be met through spiritual power by means of prayer. To receive healings, especially if materia medica has declared the disease to be serious or fatal, is a never-to-be-forgotten experience by those who have had them. I know what this means because, after the First World War, I was told that I had less than three months to live. There was no known cure for my trouble and there was nothing that materia medica could do to save me. As a matter of fact, in all the years that have passed since then no cure has been found for that particular disease. Nevertheless, in spite of this verdict, in three months I was so completely healed that there has never been a sign or trace of the trouble in all the years since 1921. I have had many other healings through the Spirit and I have witnessed thousands of healings-true, many of them minor claims, but also some very major ones according to materia medica. Undoubtedly, many of you have had similar experiences with disease or with sin. It was in 1928 as I was sitting with a practitioner that all my smoking, drinking and card-playing habits disappeared. These were not great vices, but nevertheless they were errors according to the spiritual way of living, yet they all disappeared in that one two-hour experience, never to return. Not only did a healing of smoking, drinking, card playing and a few other minor human errors take place, but illumination came-a lifting of consciousness above what we might call the earth plane, and never in all the years that have gone by since that time have I completely come down to earth again. This does not mean that there have not been many problems during that time-many. But I have learned that all of them were a part of my own development. As the years unfolded, there came a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ipresent and the Only Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:46- 129K
Find Similar Documents