The Art of Meditation: Chapter VIII, Ye Are the Temple
- CHAPTER VIII YE ARE THE TEMPLE Know ye not that ye are the temple of God . . . that your body is the temple . . . of the living God." I CORINTHIANS 16:19 The body is the temple of the living God, a temple not made with hands, not mortally conceived, but eternal in the heavens; that is, eternal in time and space; eternal in life; eternal in spirit, in soul, and in substance. God made all that was made, and all that God made was made of God, partaking of the very nature of God which is eternality, immortality, and perfection. God made the body in Its own image and likeness. God is life. An activity of God, operating in a seed, brings forth a child with all the potentialities of adulthood embodied in one tiny little form-not merely a piece of matter, but an intelligence and a soul accompanying that body. The Spirit of God does this, but, in his vanity, man has arrogated to himself the role of a creator. Men and women have assumed that because they were fathers and mothers they were originators, instead of knowing that they are the instruments through which God acts to express Himself-not to perpetuate you or me, or my children or your children. God operates as love in our consciousness to produce His own image and likeness. This expression of God we have called your child and mine, forgetting that this is God's child, and not a personal creation or a personal possession. We pray to God to maintain and sustain our children; but they are not our children: they are God's children. It is not necessary to pray that God maintain and sustain His own children. It is God's prerogative to create, maintain, and sustain Its own image and likeness. God is the creator of all that is. God, then, is the creator of man's body. "Know ye not that your body is the temple of the living God?" We call this body your body and my body, but it is not ours. It is God's body, formed by Him for His pleasure, made in His image and likeness, governed by His law, and created to show forth His glory. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter VIII, Ye Are the Temple.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:29- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Meditation: Chapter XVII, Illumination, Communion, and Union
- CHAPTER XVII ILLUMINATION, COMMUNION, AND UNION Meditation leads to that illumination which becomes first, communion with God, and finally union. Illumination is an individual experience. In no way is it related to any outward observance or form of worship; it is entirely dependent upon the realization of our relationship to God. It is an experience which takes place within ourselves separate and apart from every other person. It cannot be shared with anybody-husband, wife, child, or trusted friend. It cannot be sought in the company of others. No two people can seek it together. Each must retire to the inner sanctuary of his own being and find his God-experience there. In a measure, it is possible to share our unfoldment with others who are either illumined or who are on the path of illumination, but let us always remember, a God-experience is an individual one. If it were to come to us in the midst of thousands of people, it would still remain a solitary experience. There can be no partner in this experience. We can share the unfolding truth which may lead others to the experience and, if we have a sufficient degree of enlightenment, we may help to lift them to the point where they also can experience God. Further than that we cannot go; the experience, itself, must take place within them. No one should attempt to teach or share the truth which has been revealed to him, until he has let it work within his own consciousness and has, thereby, achieved a measure of light. After that he will be directed as to how, when, where, and under what circumstances he should share this revelation. God will make known the part he is to play and the way in which he is to play it. Illumination is possible to every individual in proportion to the intensity of his desire for it; but while he is striving to make the God-contact, he would do well to keep that first spark hidden from the world, until it is kindled into a flame. After the first glimmerings of illumination, the wise ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation, Communion, and Union.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:31- 76K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 20, Problems
- ~ 20 ~ PROBLEMS In the working out of a problem, it would seem to me that the first step would be to forget yourself and the problem as it appears and study more about the universal nature of good. As you begin to look away from self and personal problems and dwell more in thought on the universality of 2×2 being 4, or do, re, mi following each other, and of the law of "like begetting like," you will see how impossible it would be for you to be anywhere outside of divine law, divine protection, and divine action. When we plant a rose seed we know, of course, that only a rose can come forth. We do not go into any ecstasies of delight about the wonders of the rose seed because we know that it is not the rose seed itself that produced the rose, but the law of "like begetting like" acting upon the seed. Planting the seed in fertile soil, giving it sufficient water and sun, the rose is inevitable, and even the seed itself could not prevent the fulfillment. Also, when we place 2 and 2 together, 4 is inevitable, and this is not by any virtue of the objects or numbers that are brought together, but because of the operation of the law of mathematics. These illustrations apply to us in like manner. Divine law governs its creations. The only God there is, is principle, the principle of our being, and it would be impossible for our affairs to get outside the operation of this law. Then all the error, inharmony, discord, that is apparent to us is, as a matter of fact, not present at all, but exists only as belief and must be so understood. A belief operates as a law only until its true nature is discerned, just as the belief that 3 × 3 is 8 vanishes without any further effort on our part. We do not have to destroy it or rise above it, because it vanishes of its own nothingness, its non-existence. Let us know that "whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever;" 1 that there is not a single element of error, discord, inharmony or fear in either God or his son, in mind or its idea, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Years_ Chapter 20, Problems.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:46- 100K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 10, When We Pray Amiss
- ... If the masses could know something about the world of the Spirit, some of them at least would begin to open their eyes and desire what we who have learned about a life of prayer have discovered. Prayer, to be answered prayer, must come from a heart that is purged of personal and selfish motives, a heart that has for its desire that all men may know God's grace. This prayer, silently spoken or thought, not only sets the one who prays free, but it sets mankind free. We can watch it in operation at the level of the family. We can use this silent, secret prayer in our household, confining ourselves to our immediate circle, and pray that God's grace be established. We embrace everyone in our consciousness until we have made peace with them and have attained an absolute conviction that we desire the grace of God to be their experience. When we begin to see the fruitage in that small circle, then we are ready to lift our vision and go out into the community, to the seat of our government, to cross borders and look each nation in the face, each religion, and make peace. Go thy way in peace. May God's grace be visited upon you. May you forever know the joy of living in His forgiveness and His love, peace, and prosperity. Prayer for God 's Government on Earth World prayer work is the most difficult of all because we must, first of all, surrender all concepts as to the solution we are seeking, never praying for a certain event or experience. And the reason this is difficult is that each one of us has decided whether it would be good to have a Republican administration or a Democratic administration and, in some cases, even a Socialistic or Communistic administration. And when we pray, we are praying for this, and there can be no success in such world work. Success comes only with the surrender of material or human desires, and the desire for God's government on earth: spiritual government, not just a different form of human government. God is Spirit, and the only prayer of a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...vernment of Eden_Chapter 10.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:07- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: September 28, 1963, Two Covenants
- TWO COVENANTS September 28, 1963 Honolulu, Hawaii GOOD AFTERNOON. There are two covenants: the human and the divine, the mental and the spiritual, and there is absolutely no way for the human being to pray to God or make contact with God. The only contact there can be with God is in silence, and that does not mean the absence of noise. It means the silencing of human will and personal desire. Spiritual silence, "be still and know," has no reference to sound. Be still means to have no will or desire of your own. Keep your humanhood still and then be willing that the grace of God fill your consciousness. How it will appear in the outer form you will have no possible way of knowing. It really is a mystery, and how it is accomplished is an even greater mystery. When the work of The Infinite Way started in California, none of us believed that it would ever extend outside of California. As a matter of fact it was a surprise when the work moved up as far as Northern California, and when we were functioning there none of us dreamed of going outside of that state. Actually it was a great surprise when I was invited to Portland, Oregon! And so it has been ever since-a surprise. Only an act of divine grace could have continued moving us from place to place to place, until the globe was circled. When you go to God it must be with no thoughts and with no desire. You go to God to attune yourself to God's grace and, whatever form it takes, that is what you must follow. There will always be a divided world and an unsuccessful world as long as people are praying for things, conditions, persons. I know through the healing work that you cannot pray for persons. It has always been horrible to me to think of God healing Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Smith, but not healing Mrs. Jones. No, in healing work the person who has asked for help has attuned to your consciousness and, when you are spiritually attuned, they are spiritually attuned and receive the benefits of that attuning. It is for this ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ber 28, 1963, Two Covenants.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:21- 95K
Find Similar Documents
Invisible Supply: Chapter 7, Practicing Spiritual Truth
- It must be buried deep in your consciousness and nurtured, fed, tended, cared for, and allowed to take root, to grow, to blossom, and to fulfill itself as fruitage that you can share. Do not look out the next day expecting to see a full-grown, fruit-bearing tree. Keep these gems of Truth locked up within yourself and witness how they develop and expand and come forth as fruitage. The seeds of Truth that we take within our consciousness, live with, and practice over and over are our gratitude to God or to each other, our benevolences, forgiveness of our enemies, and praying for them. When these seeds of Truth come to fruition-when the Truth has been demonstrated within us -then we can begin to share the fruitage. The Truth has become a power to heal, to increase supply, and so forth. We have the example of the Master who kept Truth locked up within Himself until the age of thirty. During that time He did not try to preach or teach or heal. He just pondered these Truths within Himself, ... All- Power is of God, and All-Power is good. Too often we want to share the Truth we have with others when we see them in their distress. We feel that what we have could be so important to them that we rush out and try to share it with them. But when you are so tempted, please remember this principle of secrecy. Remember that you may gain your neighbor's goodwill but you will forfeit Divine Grace. Keep Truth within yourself until it has come to fruitage. Do not give forth the Truth that you know, but give forth only the fruitage: forgiveness, prayers, tithes. The secret is to keep it within you until it is so clearly established in you that you can share it freely and liberally. Practice Truth in Every Activity The trend of one's life can be changed within a year by studying, practicing, and living spiritual Truth. Practitioners can heal us once, twice, three times, even ten times and can feed us both spiritually and physically. But if we ourselves do not rise sufficiently in ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Practicing Spiritual Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:39- 96K
Find Similar Documents
Invisible Supply: Chapter 9, Principle of Treatment
- CHAPTER 9 PRINCIPLE OF TREATMENT To receive or give treatment, you must consciously know and apply the principles of Truth. In order to do this, you must first establish dominion over your mind and your body. Dominion over Mind and Body We identify ourselves as "I." There is an "I," Joel; an "I," Mary; an "I," Bill-an "I," whatever your name is. But "I" is neither your body nor your mind. Your body and your mind are not the "I" of your being. They are merely the instruments through which you perform your functions on earth. Your mind is the instrument through which the "I" of your being thinks, reasons, knows, and makes decisions and judgments. It is used for any purpose of awareness. Your body, on the other hand, is the physical instrument, which takes its orders from you (the "I") through your mind. For example, when I wish to raise my hand, "I," Joel, through my mind give that order to my hand and my hand obeys. "I" govern my mind, and my mind instructs my body. Therefore, "I" have dominion over both my mind and my body. But suppose I do not exercise that dominion, which was given to me by God in the very beginning? If "I" exerted no control over my mind but let it make its own judgments, or if "I" let my body control its own conduct, I would be in all kinds of trouble, as are those who have not learned to accept and exercise their dominion. Your mind and your body, as well as dominion over them, were given to you, and you must learn to exercise that dominion. When you sit in meditation, your mind does not wish to be still and come under control-not because it has a will of its own but because it is accustomed to doing what it wants if you have not been assuming dominion over it. The mind is much like some horses I have ridden, which did not acknowledge my control one bit! They just took me where they wanted to go because I did not know how to assume dominion over them, and so they had their way with me! So the mind has its own way with us unless we learn to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 9, Principle of Treatment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:39- 100K
Find Similar Documents
The Altitude Of Prayer: Chapter 8, Let The Spirit Bear Witness
- ~ 8 ~ LET THE SPIRIT BEAR WITNESS WHEN YOU MAKE CONTACT with the Spirit of God that is within you, you bring into your experience the divine Power and Presence. The work of The Infinite Way is attaining the conscious awareness of that Presence. When you realize that It is "closer . . . than breathing" * you stop the search for It in heaven or in holy mountains, and you begin to rest. In that resting you open out a way for the Spirit to announce Itself and perform Its function. Was not the ministry of the Master the healing of the sick, the raising of the dead, the feeding of the hungry, the forgiving of the sinner, and the overcoming of the discords and inharmonies of life, regardless of the forms in which these discords may have appeared? Is not the Christ-ministry today primarily one of overcoming what the Master called "this world," whether it appears as sin, temptation, false appetite, lack, or limitation? For most persons, it is a simple thing to acknowledge that there is an indwelling Christ, but it is difficult to prove It, to manifest It, or to bring It forth. But this will follow if, and only if, something within you says, "Yes," when you hear or read of the Christ-presence within. It was the Master's awareness and conviction of that Presence that did the miracle works of which you read. All those engaged in spiritual healing know that healing takes place only when they come to the end of prayer or treatment and have an inner release or feeling: "It is done;" or "God is on the scene." Prayer or treatment that consists only of words or thoughts, no matter how sublime or how true they may be, is ineffectual and brings forth no response from the Divine. Only the prayer or treatment that transcends words and thoughts and attains an actual contact with the Spirit brings fruitage. I am not saying that you should do away with prayers or treatments that consist of words or thoughts. Heaven forbid! These are the tools you use; these are the instruments you use to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Let The Spirit Bear Witness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:26- 109K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 18, Search for Freedom
- ~ 18 ~ SEARCH FOR FREEDOM The uncertainties of human existence compel us to seek a way out of the difficulties that so frequently beset us. Illnesses of every name and nature mark our lives from infancy to old age; failure, disappointments, lack, and limitation seem to be our lot, even though each new year finds us hoping for a healthier and happier one than ever before, and as each "old year" passes we have but few regrets. Inherently we know that this should not be. Indeed, we become more certain with each disappointment that it need not be. Somewhere, we feel, is freedom from mortal trials and human tribulations. We know this freedom can be gained, if we but learn the way. Every human breast prays to God-perhaps to an "unknown God"-for the answer. Every nation and every race looks to its conception of the Almighty for rest, peace, and surcease from its worldly cares. The answer can only be found in God, the one true God whom Jesus called "our Father." In the degree that we understand God and his government of the universe, we are enabled to bring ourselves into harmony with the laws of spirit, under the jurisdiction of divine mind, and we find that every phase of human life is directly maintained in harmony and perfection through the reign of truth." It is our ignorance of God, the divine principle, which produces apparent discord, and the right understanding of him restores harmony." 1 In Christian Science we find that God is divine mind and, therefore, its creation must be in the form of ideas; that God is principle and his government must necessarily be impersonal, impartial, and universal; that God is love and this divine quality is manifested in the care and protection of love's creation; that God is truth, expressing infinite wisdom in its control over man and the universe; that God is spirit, the eternal, unchanging substance of all being. Added to these, we learn that God is infinite life, the one and only life, animating all men and things. Continuing ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 18, Search for Freedom.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:46- 83K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 5, Transition in Consciousness
- ~ 5 ~ A TRANSITION IN CONSCIOUSNESS Good Evening. We have just had our usual meditation, but in this particular meditation we began by placing ourselves as superior to mind and body, which is our natural birth-right. That is, we took the word I 1 , which I am: I, Joel; I, Mary; I, William. Whatever your name may be, you identify yourself with the word I. That I of course is your being, the being which you are. Your mind is something you possess and your body is something you possess. The mind is not you; the body is not you. I am you, and I was given a mind and a body through which to perform your functions on earth. The mind is that instrument which you use for thinking purposes, reasoning purposes, or any purpose of awareness. Through your mind you become aware, through your mind you know, through your mind you think, through your mind you receive decisions or make judgements. The body is a physical instrument and it takes its orders from you through the mind. I say to this hand, "Up," and the mind communicates that to the hand and the hand obeys the mind, which in turn obeys me. I have dominion over the mind and over the body. But suppose I do not exercise that dominion which was given to me by God in the beginning, and suppose I turn to the mind for its judgements or to the body for its conduct. I would soon be in all kinds of trouble, just as those who have not learned to accept their dominion over mind and body are in trouble much of the time. The mind was given to you, the body was given to you. When you sit down to meditate, the mind does not wish to come under control, not because it has a wish or will of its own, but only because you haven't assumed dominion and it is accustomed to doing what it wants. I'm afraid it's much like the horses I've ridden: they don't acknowledge my control a bit, they just take me where they want to go. That's because I don't know how to assume dominion over a horse, and so he has his fun with me. So it is, the mind has its fun ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Transition in Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:49- 133K
Find Similar Documents