The Thunder of Silence: Chapter V, Transcending Mind
- CHAPTER V TRANSCENDING MIND In the beginning, there was only one state of consciousness, the spiritual, but ever since the so-called Fall, man has been divided into three states of consciousness -the material, mental, and spiritual. Spiritual consciousness, when made flesh, is the perfect, immortal body, but few of all the billions of people who have lived on this planet have achieved spiritual consciousness, very few. Instead, throughout countless generations of humanhood, the world has been living in a material and mental state of consciousness, and for the most part, all that has been known is a material sense of the world, a world in which men make their living by the sweat of their brow and in which everything they do is done by physical or mental means. Even today the world has not risen too far above that physical sense of a universe, despite the fact that in this last century more of the mental has been revealed, although revealed primarily in the sense of the mental governing the physical. Out of that has come what is known as the science of right thinking, designed to manipulate the human scene. For example, if a person does not have a home, all he has to do is to catch hold of the right thought and the home appears, or if he does not have a satisfactory companion, just a little right thinking, and the old companion vanishes and a new one appears! If he suffers from some physical discord, just a little bit of right thinking, holding the "right thoughts," and lo and behold, the diseased body disappears and the harmonious body appears in its place. Even when this sort of mental therapy is effective, and it often is, those using this technique are still left with a physical universe-a physical body, a physical companion, a physical anything subject to the laws of good and evil-and the very next day it is possible for the discords and inharmonies to begin all over again. One part of the body is healed, and then another one speaks up; the problem of supply is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter V, Transcending Mind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:38- 112K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XIII, The Father Which Seeth in Secret
- CHAPTER XIII THE FATHER WHICH SEETH IN SECRET And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. MATTHEW 6:5, 6 These words of the Master must come as a shock to us when we realize how many people believe that their most effective prayers are those said in church. How many times have we, ourselves, prayed in public, forgetting that, according to Jesus, prayer must be practiced in secret. Of old, the Pharisees and the scribes prayed in public in much the same manner as do most of the people of our world today, and for their much praying, they received the praise of their neighbors: There is only one thing they lost-God's grace. When our prayers become a matter of public utterance, we are inflating our ego, trying to make something of ourselves, setting out to glorify ourselves, not realizing that thereby we sacrifice the reward of the Father and separate ourselves from the very blessings we are seeking. Anything that glorifies ourselves or attempts to make the world believe that we are something of ourselves tends to separate us from the love of God. The whole teaching of the Master is, "I can of mine self do nothing . . . the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. . . . My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." This injunction to pray in secret does not mean that we cannot unite with others in prayer or meet in church or temple for the purpose of prayer because Jesus also taught that "where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." His intent was that we should not attend church because it is the accepted thing to do-fashionable or politic-or because our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ather Which Seeth in Secret.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:41- 101K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter VI, God, the Consciousness of the Individual
- CHAPTER VI GOD, THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL Many persons think that they understand the mystery of life because they can trace the growth and development of themselves and their children from a tiny seed at the time of conception to birth, and then from birth to full maturity. But that is not the mystery of life: that is the effect of the mystery of life. The mystery lies in what produced the seed and in what brought this seed into expression. No matter how scientists may theorize as to the origin of life, eventually they arrive at a point that defies explanation because beyond the appearance of everything visible is an Infinitude, a Something that we call Consciousness or Life, and this Infinity is expressing Itself as all form, as the world and everything in it. Everything that is visible first had to have an invisible Something to send it into form, and that invisible Something is Consciousness which sends Itself into expression as a seed and all that comes forth from the seed. Were it not for Consciousness, there would be nothing expressed as form. Regardless of how beautiful a thing may seem to be, how wonderful or how abundant, we must look behind it and realize that it could not exist but for the Consciousness that formed it. A few years ago, a very severe winter was forecast for the Eastern and Middle Western parts of the United States, a prediction based on the fact that the animals were growing much thicker fur than usual, and that they were also storing up more than the customary amount of food for their use during the coming winter. But can an animal decide how much fur it is going to grow? Does an animal know that it is growing fur any more than we know that we are growing hair? Then, what is the underlying cause of the growth of fur on an animal, and why does the fur grow thicker in some years and thinner in others? What causes an animal to store up more food one year than another? Very recently, another prediction was made to the effect that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ciousness of the Individual.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:59- 118K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 6, The Light Breaking Through
- ~ 6 ~ THE LIGHT BREAKING THROUGH Primal, original Consciousness is pure, infinite, harmonious, and all-good; and this is the consciousness of individual being. When we cut ourselves off or are cut off from that infinite divine Consciousness and come to have a mind and a life of our own, separate from God, we are no longer under the law of God. Life then becomes a matter of chance, a statistic: sometimes good and sometimes evil, but more often evil than good. The only hope for a restoration to harmony is to return to the Father's house and be united again consciously with God. Fortunately, this does not depend upon us. It is not our human efforts that bring us back to God. It is the grace of God breaking through. I hope that none of us will ever think that we brought ourselves to a spiritual teaching or that we are responsible for remaining on the spiritual path or for any spiritual progress in our life. This would destroy all our chances for real progress. If we think of the millions of people on earth who from almost any standpoint are as good or better than we are and who are not on the Path, but are surely entitled to be on the spiritual path as much as we are, it must be clear that we have not come this far because we deserve it or because we have chosen God. To believe that we of ourselves have chosen a spiritual pathway would be egotism in its final stage. No, God has chosen us. The finger of God has touched us, not because we have earned it, deserved it, or are better than the rest of mankind, but for reasons which go back long before our present experience on earth, reasons that have to do with evolving consciousness which always comes to fruition in its own time. "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you. . . . I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." 1 As we evolve from state to state of consciousness, at last we return to where we were in the beginning with all the glory we had with God before the human ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... The Light Breaking Through.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:23- 87K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter VI, Unconditioned Mind
- CHAPTER VI UNCONDITIONED MIND The basic secret of mind is that there is only one mind, and that mind is the mind of individual being-your mind and my mind. The implications of this profound statement have never been fully understood. The world at large does not know this, although it has been known to metaphysicians of all schools. When it has come to actual practice, however, an entity separate and apart from the one mind called mortal mind or the human mind has always been introduced and accepted as a power. Actually, there is only one mind, and this mind is unconditioned: It has no qualities of good or of evil; it is a state of being, not good and not bad. In reality, there cannot be intelligent mind and ignorant mind; there cannot be healthy mind and diseased mind, for mind is unconditioned. Furthermore, mind forming itself as body is unconditioned; and therefore body is neither well nor sick, tall nor short, thin nor fat. Body is as unconditioned as the mind which is the essence of its form. Mind and body, being unconditioned, are a state of absolute being and perfection until the belief of good and evil is accepted into thought. Human experience is in reality the perfect mind, your mind and my mind, which manifests as perfect being and body, but which as human experience is influenced by the knowledge of good and evil. This belief in two powers is the essence of what is called the carnal mind. To return to the Father's house and once more become the son of God, it is necessary that we individually-for no one can do this for us because it is an individual experience-give up the belief in good and evil through an activity of our consciousness. Mind forms its own conditions of matter, body, and form. Mind does not create; mind forms. Creation is already complete-spiritual, eternal, and perfect -but our mind, depending on its conditioning, forms and interprets our human experience on this plane. If our mind is completely free of the judgment of good and evil, then ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter VI, Unconditioned Mind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:39- 94K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Love
- ... We close the door on Love in that way when we pray ONLY for Mother or Father or child or friend or relative. When we learn to pray for our enemy as we are taught to do in the Master's teachings, when we learn to pray the prayer of forgiveness for all those who offend us, we then find Love coming to us through unexpected avenues and channels. We, ourselves, limit the amount of Love that ordinarily would be flowing freely to us because we limit it, first of all, to man, and secondly, only to those men and women who comprise our friendly circle. When we go further afield, when we look not only to friends but even to foes for our Love, through the prayer of forgiveness, we widen that circle, and even more so as we realize God is the fount of ALL Love . . . God is the SOURCE of ALL Love. Therefore, it is to God and ONLY to God that we look for Love. This ... Once we lift our gaze above the human avenues and channels of supply and realize GOD as the source of Love and, therefore, as the source of supply, we begin to open the way for Love to come to us from many new sources. FORGIVENESS WE HAVE LOOKED to man for forgiveness for our offenses, our trespasses, our sins. Often, through acts of commission or omission, we have been unloving, unjust, unkind; and sometimes, if possible, we look to those whom we have offended for forgiveness. In many instances, they have gone so far out of our experience that we have no way of reaching them in order to seek their forgiveness. Actually, there is no need of our seeking forgiveness of any man. It is well that we apologize, if we have offended. It is well if we ask forgiveness. It is not important whether or not we receive it. The important point is that we look to GOD for forgiveness . . . NOT to man. As long as we look to God for forgiveness, we will be released through man. Therein lies the miracle . . . that even those who, to human sense, would withhold forgiveness, can no longer withhold it when we have sought it in God. LOVE IS ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ays of Joel Goldsmith_ Love.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:13- 114K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 13, Messiah
- ~ 13 ~ MESSIAH FOR A FEW MINUTES I WANT TO REPEAT a little of what I talked about this afternoon. This afternoon I was in Vallejo and visited and talked to some students there. Strangely enough, I talked on a subject about which I had spoken here last week and I never said a word that I said last week. Nor did any of the thoughts go in the same direction. I spoke on spiritual freedom and before I was through here that afternoon, the whole thing had turned itself into grace. But today the whole talk took an entirely different turn. I would like to repeat some of it now, because I think it is an important thing for us consciously to remember. The point to which I refer is this: For centuries Jesus had been foreseen and promised as the coming Messiah. The Hebrews had been eagerly watching for his coming; they had been scanning the skies for years for this new Messiah. They were, of course, practically slaves to Caesar and they were not too happy with their church administration, which was also holding them under too tight a bond. So, with the coming of the Messiah, they thought that they would be freed of a lot of these tithes to the church and ten per cent taxes to Caesar and an extra five per cent for good measure and an extra twenty per cent on holidays. That financial taxation was a pretty serious thing. You know, it was almost like taxation without representation. In addition to that, of course, they did not have too pleasant a life under Caesar. So naturally, their expectancy was that when the Messiah came, he would certainly dethrone Caesar and make them a free people and give them their Holy Land in which to live as a free people. That probably was the uppermost thing in their minds. They would own all that territory about Palestine and the Holy Land and be enabled to live free of Rome. They would also be free of their Pharisees and Sadducees and be economically and politically and nationally a free people. Every indication is that is what they were expecting ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...sition_ Chapter 13, Messiah.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:21- 67K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Stages of Consciousness
- STAGES OF CONSCIOUSNESS THERE ARE NOT three states of life - the material, the mental and the spiritual. The material and the mental are one, although they constitute two degrees of the same one. Remember, the material and the mental are one. In this stage thoughts are things; beliefs produce conditions. Ordinarily in metaphysical teaching, the mental and spiritual are considered one, and therefore, you may have heard or read the term, "mentally spiritual." Be careful of it because it is dangerous to your progress. There is no such thing as mentally spiritual because the mental and physical are two strata or stages of the one; the physical is the more gross; the mental is the higher form, but is still just a higher form of the material. The proof of this may be seen in such statements as "thoughts are things" and "as a man thinketh so is he," meaning, if he thinks good he will manifest good, and if he thinks evil he will manifest evil. Thinking which produces things and thinking which can produce either good or evil cannot be spiritual. Notice that nowhere does it say that thinking will produce spirituality. On the contrary, we are told by the greatest spiritual Light, "Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?" And from Isaiah, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts." In other words, human thinking is not spiritual. Until you realize that the physical and mental realm are one and that one the mortal and material, you will be looking for your good in the wrong place. "Not by might (physical) nor by power (mental) but by my spirit saith the Lord." You are not consciously in the spiritual realm or Kingdom of God, harmony, until you rise above things and thoughts. If you feel that this is difficult you can understand one reason why so few have attained it. Another reason is false teaching. Men have become satisfied when they reached the mental realm, thinking they were in heaven or state of harmony - only to find sooner or later that they were ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...re_ Stages of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:19- 86K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter I, The Two Covenants
- CHAPTER I THE TWO COVENANTS For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. . . . But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. GALATIANS 4:22-24, 26 In our humanhood, we are sons of the bondwoman, in subjection to the flesh and its claims, in bondage to the things, thoughts, and activities of the flesh, whether it be this flesh of the body or the flesh called money or other forms of human living. Living in and through the flesh as the offspring of the bondwoman, we are under the laws of matter, the laws of economics, and the laws of race, religion, and nationality-under the covenant "which gendereth to bondage." The other covenant is that of our spiritual adoption, which comes through a conscious activity within our own consciousness and at a time when we are prepared for that transition, because the transition from humanhood to spiritual sonship is made only by Grace. When a person says that he would like to be a child of God and be free of the burdens of the flesh, usually he does not really mean it. What he means is that he would like to be free of the burdens of the flesh, but retain the pleasures and the profits of the flesh. It is for this reason that as human beings we cannot choose to be children of God. But there does come a time in the consciousness of every one of us-with some now and with some many lifetimes from now-when, through an inner Grace, we are able and willing not only to be rid of the ills of the flesh, but also of the pleasures and profits of the flesh, and to become acquainted with our spiritual identity or Selfhood, with that new creature-not the old one made healthy, not the old one made honorable, but a new creature which is born of the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter I, The Two Covenants.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:36- 85K
Find Similar Documents
Beyond Words & Thoughts: Chapter 9, Beyond the Pairs of Opposites to Being
- ~ 9 ~ BEYOND THE PAIRS OF OPPOSITES TO BEING Infinity exists within ourselves, the infinity of any and every form that may ever be necessary to our experience. Whether that form is to appear outwardly as words, thoughts, or ideas; whether it is to appear outwardly as designs in clothing, architecture, or bridges, regardless of what form we are to bring forth on earth, its abiding place is within our consciousness. Every word of the Infinite Way message, therefore, is meant to drive us back into our consciousness to draw forth the infinity of supply that is there. Supply of every nature is as infinite and inexhaustible as the words and messages that have come out of my mouth these past years. It is new and fresh every day if we do not depend on yesterday's manna but develop the habit of going within to our consciousness to draw forth fresh supply. It is only in proportion as we think of yesterday's supply as being today's supply that we sometimes run into lack; but as we learn to turn within for a fresh supply we draw forth God's grace in new forms, bigger forms, richer forms. For seventeen years, the message that has found its way into the Infinite Way writings kept pouring through, and if it had not been the word of God, it would have been so stale and monotonous that no one would have read it. But supply is infinite; and therefore it is always fresh and new when it comes forth from the grace of God and not out of the stored-up memory of an individual. In spiritual truth, we do not depend on what we knew yesterday, nor do we even want to live on the money we had yesterday. We do not waste it, I do not mean that; but each day must be a new day in which we go within for God's grace, and we can have no idea what form God's grace is going to take. That, too, is our good fortune because that opens out the way for the new forms, the greater forms, and the greater wisdoms that are to unfold from within our consciousness. Grace Appears as Form Again I must remind you that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Pairs of Opposites to Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:12- 123K
Find Similar Documents