Consciousness Transformed: May 19, 1963, An Idea Whose Time Has Come
- AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME May 19, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel ON MAY 12 WE STARTED off with this paragraph: "There is a principle of life not yet known to the world, but known to you through your studies of The Infinite Way. The effects of this principle have been known throughout all known time, but the principle itself has not been known." The principle of which I spoke is that truth received and embodied in consciousness becomes known worldwide without any human effort or human striving. Just by abiding within one's Self with the revealed truth, it has a way of establishing itself. This does not always happen as quickly as we would like it to happen, but when we are dealing with truth we must learn that "a thousand years is as one day and one day can be as a thousand years." 1 There will be periods of thousands of years when little progress seems to be made, then suddenly in one day more progress is made than in a thousand years. This was illustrated by the Civil War. The idea of giving freedom to the Negro was not really a result of the Civil War; in fact, the Civil War was a failure and did not give that freedom. However, the fact that it took place was in line with all that had been unfolding in human consciousness since the days of Greece, on up through the Magna Carta, the French Revolution, the American Revolution, the Brazilian Revolution. All of this is the out breaking into human experience of an idea in consciousness. I believe it was last week that we were given the quotation of Victor Hugo: "Nothing is so powerful as an idea whose time has come." Ordinarily this quotation is attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, because it was he who made the quotation famous. But strangely, in the editorial in this morning's newspaper it is correctly attributed to Victor Hugo, and in the correct manner in which we used it last week. In other words "its time has come," and nothing is going to stop the breaking down of racial prejudice. Furthermore, if you had access ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...An Idea Whose Time Has Come.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:19- 107K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: September 21, 1963, The Adjustment Must be Made Within Your Consciousness-A Lesson in Secrecy
- THE ADJUSTMENT MUST BE MADE WITHIN YOUR CONSCIOUSNESS-A LESSON IN SECRECY September 21, 1963 Honolulu, Hawaii GOOD AFTERNOON. I would like to speak today about healing work. The minute you become aware of discords and inharmonies in any form, on the street or in the newspapers or in your family life, you begin to reach out for the healing ministry. You may not know how, but you are alerted, and from then on you will become aware of discords in the form of sins, diseases, lacks, inequalities, injustices and these are bound to annoy you. They cannot help but annoy you now, because you know something can be done about the errors and the inharmonies and the discords that you are witnessing. The question then arises, "Do I know enough to be able to help in this situation?" Actually, it is usually in this way that you are ultimately led into the activity of spiritual healing. In other words, you are becoming very much aware of the sins and the diseases and the deaths and the lacks and the inequalities and the injustices, and as students you long to be able to do something about it. I am speaking only to those students who have had the experience of witnessing the errors and discords in the world and then being puzzled about what to do about it. That is the beginning of the spiritual awakening. Until then, no matter how much a person is seeking truth, there is no spiritual awakening because the individual is only seeking a solution to his own problems. From the moment that a student becomes concerned about what he sees on the street or what he reads in the newspapers and wants to know what to do about it, at that moment the real spiritual progress begins. It is wise at that point to try to specifically do something about the errors of which you become aware, but it is important to remember that you are not to do anything outwardly, but you have to do something silently within your own consciousness. It might be compared to the experience of walking through a school ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...usness--A Lesson in Secrecy.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:21- 107K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 13, The Inner Vision
- ~ 13 ~ THE INNER VISION You have come to that point in consciousness where you are seeking for what the world calls the intangible. When you came to a spiritual teaching, you knew in advance, or soon learned, that you were going to obtain nothing in the external realm. What you were seeking was the invisible, that which cannot be seen, heard, or known. And yet you were seeking to be able to see, hear, and know just that. Through that seeking, you are coming to know that which is unknowable, see that which is invisible, hear that which is inaudible. And on this nothing you now live. He "hangeth the earth upon nothing" 1 -nothing that you will ever see, hear, taste, touch, or smell. But of this, I am sure, if you are persistent and faithful, the day will come when you will feel it, see it, hear it, and know it, even though there is no it to see, hear, feel, and know. What was it that separated the followers of the Master from all other Hebrews? Only that those who were not Jesus' followers could not see, hear, taste, touch, or smell what it was that the disciples and the Hebrew Christians had accepted as the truth. It was foolishness to them, nothing but foolishness! How can anyone follow something that nobody knows anything about? And then these followers of the Master would smile, "Not know anything about it? We know all about it!" "Well, what is it? Where is it? Let me see it. Let me touch it." "No, it is a glint in the eye." "Ah, now! That is foolishness! That is foolishness!" And yet, that was the truth. These people saw something in the Master; they felt something in their association with him that satisfied, so that they, too, could say, "Ah, we do not live by bread alone. We are receiving an inner grace, an inner meat, wine, and water." They knew what the Master meant when he told them, "Take, eat; this is my body." 2 They knew what the others could never understand. It has been said that when a person of spiritual vision went into the darkened room where ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 13, The Inner Vision.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:42- 96K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Meditation: Chapter X, The Place Whereon Thou Standest
- CHAPTER X THE PLACE WHEREON THOU STANDEST The place whereon thou standest is holy ground. EXODUS 3:5 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him. ISAIAH 64:4 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. PSALMS 16:11 Wherever we are at this moment is holy ground. In this awareness, we can relax and let the Father reveal Its plan for us. God, the Father, is infinite, and that infinity manifests itself through us as our activity, whether it be that of a minister, physician, lawyer, nurse, teacher, healer, housewife, businessman, or mechanic. The work assigned to us today may not be of our choosing; but if, instead of kicking against the pricks, we remember that God is working out Its plan on earth, and that we are here only to show forth the glory of the Father, there will be nothing limited, confined, or finite about our life or our activity. The Father, being infinite, manifests Itself infinitely. We have no right to interfere with the divine plan; our responsibility is to begin where we are, confident that the place whereon we stand is holy ground. That place may be a prison, a hospital, or a position of high honor; but however high or lowly, that place is holy ground. There we play the part assigned to us. There we remain, until God moves us. We interfere with the divine plan when we let the little "I" decide where it should function, instead of being satisfied to let the Christ determine our activity. Nothing will bring forth such an abundant sense of life as the realization of our self-completeness in God, not self-completeness in Jane, Jim, or Joel, but self- completeness in God. This self-completeness in God is made manifest as the harmony and abundance of Jane, Jim, or Joel, but it still is not their personal achievement of abundance, success, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Place Whereon Thou Standest.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:29- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter V, Transcending Mind
- CHAPTER V TRANSCENDING MIND In the beginning, there was only one state of consciousness, the spiritual, but ever since the so-called Fall, man has been divided into three states of consciousness -the material, mental, and spiritual. Spiritual consciousness, when made flesh, is the perfect, immortal body, but few of all the billions of people who have lived on this planet have achieved spiritual consciousness, very few. Instead, throughout countless generations of humanhood, the world has been living in a material and mental state of consciousness, and for the most part, all that has been known is a material sense of the world, a world in which men make their living by the sweat of their brow and in which everything they do is done by physical or mental means. Even today the world has not risen too far above that physical sense of a universe, despite the fact that in this last century more of the mental has been revealed, although revealed primarily in the sense of the mental governing the physical. Out of that has come what is known as the science of right thinking, designed to manipulate the human scene. For example, if a person does not have a home, all he has to do is to catch hold of the right thought and the home appears, or if he does not have a satisfactory companion, just a little right thinking, and the old companion vanishes and a new one appears! If he suffers from some physical discord, just a little bit of right thinking, holding the "right thoughts," and lo and behold, the diseased body disappears and the harmonious body appears in its place. Even when this sort of mental therapy is effective, and it often is, those using this technique are still left with a physical universe-a physical body, a physical companion, a physical anything subject to the laws of good and evil-and the very next day it is possible for the discords and inharmonies to begin all over again. One part of the body is healed, and then another one speaks up; the problem of supply is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter V, Transcending Mind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:38- 112K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: August 11, 1963, Lessons on Grace
- LESSONS ON GRACE August 11, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel GOOD AFTERNOON. Every experience in The Infinite Way is meant only as a lesson. If we have meetings of this nature or of another nature, be assured they are of no importance except as a lesson. I would never have meetings in and of themselves, because they can become habit-forming. In other words students sometimes believe there is a virtue in attending them or they feel that by their attendance at meetings they become more spiritual. Once you have these mistaken concepts, the meetings have lost their value. During this year we have met at noon on Sundays in a room like this, or a more beautiful room upstairs on the eleventh floor, and also in another beautiful room on the shores of the Pacific. In times past, we have met in a tiny place here in Waikiki. Yes, we have met in many places and under many circumstances, and one of the lessons meant to be conveyed is this: You do not have to go to a holy mountain or to Jerusalem or to magnificent temple to find God. "Here where I am, God is," and this is true if you make your bed in hell. Yes, and it is true if you mount up to heaven and it is true if you walk through the valley of the shadow of death. "Here where I am, God is." I hope those of you who have met with us here or elsewhere, in dingy places and in luxurious places, realize this: The meeting was only for one purpose-that we might unite to receive God's grace. It really makes no difference where we unite and it really makes no difference if we unite since "one with God is a majority"; and, "Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Our meetings are as irregularly conducted as you can possibly imagine; we meet sometimes here, sometimes there, and sometimes nowhere. We are held together by no human bond, no human tie, no human obligation-there is not even an obligation to attend these meetings. Even I hold myself without obligation to be here, should ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 11, 1963, Lessons on Grace.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:08- 101K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Joseph
- JOSEPH IN GENESIS we now come to the glorious story of Joseph, which includes the experience with his brethren. For our purpose, spiritual interpretation, we understand that Joseph is that state of consciousness which is a developing or unfolding consciousness. As it unfolds, it reveals increasing vitality, substance and understanding. The Metaphysical Bible Dictionary of Unity says of Joseph: "Jehovah shall increase; he shall increase progressively." That really is the progressive unfoldment of consciousness. As the story of Joseph unfolds, it reveals progressive steppingstones from potential good to a really advanced state of good humanhood, and then finally the awareness of spiritual life and substance. Joseph is our own ideal state of spiritual consciousness; it is that part of us which is pure Spirit - the embodiment of spiritual substance and wisdom. The many phases of being, found in individual consciousness, imply that there are other qualities in our consciousness besides this pure one, and those qualities are represented by the brothers of Joseph and by his coat of many colors. This coat of many colors is supposed to be a very desirable thing, which has come to him as a reward or token of his goodness. I have seen this differently. To me this coat of many colors represents the many contradictory qualities in Joseph's thought. Joseph is a dreamer - yet the evil experiences which befell him outwardly, could only come as the result of inner conflicts and discords. Remember, Joseph is a progressive unfoldment of good, therefore, it must have progressed from something less than its later unfolded purity. These conflicting and contradictory thoughts are likewise externalized subjectively as his brethren. Joseph, we read, goes down into Egypt; and you remember that Egypt is a place of darkness, sense consciousness, mortal mind, material experiences. Here is proof that along with the qualities of the dreamer, there are those other qualities outwardly pictured as ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tation of Scripture_ Joseph.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:17- 93K
Find Similar Documents
Awakening Mystical Consciousness: Chapter 8, Attaining Dominion Through I
- ~ 8 ~ ATTAINING DOMINION THROUGH I THE secret of harmonious existence lies in attaining a consciousness of that Grace within every person awaiting recognition. Whether or not one recognizes and demonstrates it in this lifetime, the next, or the one after is an individual affair, depending on one's spiritual growth or lack of it. Some of you may be bored with the repetition that is about to begin. Instead of saying, "Oh, I know that. I have done that," forget your past experience with it; begin as if it were something entirely new; and do it faithfully. Do not do it with half a mind, as if you already knew what was coming. Do it with your full attention because this is the only way of imparting The Infinite Way principles to you. Look down at your feet, very attentively, and ask yourself, "Am I down there in those feet? Do those feet constitute me, or are they mine?" Do this very slowly because otherwise you will not have the experience. Are you down there in those feet? Do you think you live there, or are those feet yours, yours to command, yours to order, yours to direct? Now travel up to your knees, and look at yourself from the knees down to the toenails with the same question, "Am I to be found down there? Is this I, or are these mine?" Go on up to your waist. Are you there, or is all this yours? Can you not move it at your will? From there, travel up to the neck; but be a little bit more thorough and examine that area of the body between the neck and the waist, front and back, outside and inside. Look inside and ask yourself, "Is this I? This is what I see in the mirror, but is this I or is this mine? Was not this body given to me for many uses?" From the neck, continue right up to the topmost hair of your head; and be sure to look around inside your head and notice your brain and your ears. Look down through your throat and see if you can find yourself any place in your body. Look behind your eyes, because sometimes we think we are behind our eyes looking out, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ttaining Dominion Through I.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:09- 132K
Find Similar Documents
The Mystical I: Chapter Nine, The Temple Not Made With Hands
- CHAPTER NINE THE TEMPLE NOT MADE WITH HANDS There is within every person the Christ-Self, the real Self, the I. On the spiritual path, the goal is the attaining of conscious union with that Self, or the attaining of the realization of the Christ as our identity. This requires a "dying daily" to the human part of us, the outer part, and being reborn as this true identity; dying to the limited sense of self and being reborn into or as our perfected Self, the Christ- Self. On the other hand, if we can overcome the human self, if we can die, if we can put off that human self with its belief in good and evil and awaken to our true identity, then we are through with patchwork, through with demonstrating some good today and wondering what we will have to meet next year. Within each of us is the perfect Self that has never fallen, has never left heaven, and therefore can never gain heaven. It is already a state of heaven; it is already living the perfected life, the spiritual life, the Christ-life that can never be crucified, can never be resurrected, cannot ever be ascended. It already is the perfect Self, the son of God, or the Christ within us. It has been called "the hidden manna," the "pearl of great price," the robe of immortality. That son of God is you; it is I. Actually, it is our Self, and we do not patch It up; we do not demonstrate for It; we do not heal It; we cannot even make progress with It. We can, however, bring to light in our experience this perfected Self, our Christ-Self. But in order to accomplish this we do not go into meditation with the idea of meeting an outside problem, for our spiritual goal is not developing a self that has no problems, but dying to the self that has them or does not have them, and being reborn to our already perfected Self. TO GIVE SPIRITUAL HELP, REJECT ALL CONCEPTS When we go into meditation, we cannot take into it any thought about the problem. This applies to any situation or person. For example, if we have children or ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Temple Not Made With Hands.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:31- 110K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter IX, An Interval in Eternity
- CHAPTER IX AN INTERVAL IN ETERNITY Life has frequently been depicted as a circle, representing eternity, without beginning and without end. If we visualize life in that way and realize that our immediate human span of life is confined within a segment of that circle and that all the other segments of the circle are yet to be encompassed, we can see that within the confines of that circle, there is a past as well as a future. One mystic described this life as "a parenthesis in eternity." This life! Observing life objectively and using the circle as symbolic of all life, it is obvious that we have come from the past into a parenthesis in the circle, and when this parenthesis is removed-the one marking birth and the other marking death-we will be on our way into another parenthesis, or what is called the future. This should help us to understand that our present life on earth is only an interval in eternity. We have come from somewhere and we are going somewhere, but because life is an unending circle, we are again going to come from a somewhere, and we are again going to go to a somewhere, and this will go on, and on, and on. Will it ever end? Who knows? The ancients tell us that when we are perfected, that is, when we live this life as God lives life, in that degree of purity, we will not enter the parenthesis again: we will just live in the circle, outside, beyond, and above all human experience. Even though the unillumined and uninitiated may claim that all this is only speculative, I can tell you that there are those who have completed their cycle of life on earth, and therefore would not have to return to this-world experience. Nevertheless, they do reincarnate, in some cases voluntarily and in others under instructions from those who likewise have been graduated and who perhaps act as spiritual influences behind this earth-plane. That there is an evolutionary life process going on in this human picture, surely few can deny. That human consciousness is unfolding ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...IX, An Interval in Eternity.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:59- 110K
Find Similar Documents