Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Prayer
- Prayer YE ASK, and receive not, because ye ask amiss," says the Apostle James. Have you ever thought of this when you have prayed for some time, and then found no answer to your prayer? "Ye ask amiss." There is the reason. Prayer, when based on the belief that there is a need unfilled, a desire unsatisfied, is never in accord with true scientific prayer. A prayer for God to do something, send something, provide or heal, is equally without power. It is sometimes believed that God requires a channel through which to fulfill our prayer; and this leads us to look outside ourselves for the answer. We may believe that supply can come to us, and therefore we watch for the person or position through which it is to come. We may be depending on a healer or teacher as the channel through which the healing is to come. "Ye ask amiss." Any belief that that which we are seeking is anywhere but within us, within our very own consciousness, is the barrier separating us in belief from our harmony. True prayer is never addressed to a Being outside ourselves, nor does true prayer expect anything from outside our own being. "The kingdom of God is within you," and all good must be sought there. Recognizing God to be the reality of our being, we know that all good is inherent in that Being, your being and mine. God is the substance of our being and therefore we are eternal and harmonious. God is Life, and this Life is self-sustained. He is our Soul, and we are pure and immortal. God is the Mind of the individual and this constitutes the intelligence of our being. Rightly speaking, there is not God and you, but God is ever manifest as you and this is the oneness which assures you of infinite good. God is the Life, Mind, Body and Substance of individual being, therefore nothing can be added to any individual, and true prayer is the constant recognition of this truth. Conscious awareness of our true being-of the infinite nature and character of our only being-this, too, is prayer. In this ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s of Joel Goldsmith_ Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:14- 94K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 5, Meditation
- ~ 5 ~ MEDITATION As one lives more and more in the Spirit, meditation * will undoubtedly play an increasingly important part in his life, because his periods of meditation are his point of contact with God. The minute a person awakens in the morning and realizes, "I and my Father are one," he is meditating, he is going within and realizing the inner reality of being. Even if he declares this only once with his eyes closed, he has meditated on that particular idea. If he sits quietly, pondering, "Just as the wave is one with the ocean, just as a sunbeam is not something separate and apart from the sun, but really an emanation of the sun itself, so am I one with God," he is meditating. There is nothing of a secret or occult nature about meditation-nothing strange or mysterious about the process, nor is there anything mysterious or hidden about the posture to be assumed in meditation. In fact, the only reason the subject of posture enters into a discussion of meditation at all is the common sense one of being comfortable. Meditation is most easily achieved when the body is in such a position that it does not intrude into thought. In the Orient, few people ever sit on chairs, and therefore, sitting on the floor in a cross-legged position or with the feet underneath the body is natural for them. If I sit in a straight chair, with my feet planted firmly on the floor, my back straight as the backbone is supposed to be, and both hands resting in my lap-not resting on the chair where in a few minutes I might begin to feel the pressure of the wood, but in my lap-I am in a position where my body should not intrude itself into my thoughts. I should be able to maintain this position for five, six, ten, or twenty minutes without ever thinking about the body because that is a perfectly normal and natural position for those of the occidental world. The naturalness of the posture is primarily related to the customs prevalent in the country in which one happens to live. Meditation is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... God_ Chapter 5, Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:17- 114K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 10, The Consciousness of Truth Is the Healer
- ~ 10 ~ THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF TRUTH IS THE HEALER If all the people on earth could be brought to a spiritual experience, they probably would not care too much if they were healthy or sick, wealthy or poor. The Experience itself is enough without these added human things. The healing ministry is important, however, because when a person has experienced a spiritual healing it sets up a longing to go further than just being healed. It brings out in him a desire to know God, to live the spiritual life, and then in turn to be able to help others. There never has been and never will be a teaching that will enable anyone to heal. The letter of truth alone will never heal or reform anybody, but the letter of truth will provide a person with principles which, as they are incorporated into his consciousness, enable him to release himself from material sense and evolve into spiritual consciousness. It is spiritual consciousness that heals, the spiritual consciousness with which some few mystics have come into the world. Spiritual healing is accomplished through either the natural or developed spiritual consciousness of a person, and that spiritual consciousness is yours and mine when we no longer turn to God for healing or believe that there is a God withholding healing, a God who will do today what He was not doing yesterday. The degree of help you will be able to give anyone is dependent upon the truth that is embodied in your contemplative meditation or treatment which becomes realized consciousness, the very substance and essence of the healing. A person who has been active in the healing ministry for several years should be doing effective healing work. By the time he has worked with these principles day after day, and night after night, his whole consciousness becomes so imbued with truth that there is little of humanhood left. The practitioner who has worked with enough different types of cases comes to realize that the words he has used in his meditations or treatments ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ness of Truth Is the Healer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:24- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: July 27, 1963, Nothing Can Be Added
- NOTHING CAN BE ADDED July 27, 1963 Infinite Way Study Center "OF THOSE WHO HA VE MUCH, much will be demanded." 1 It is inevitable that you who have had as much work with me as you have had, much will be expected. As visitors from different parts of the world come to Hawaii, they must naturally look upon you and wonder how much further along you are than other students of the world. In what way is that manifest? What have you to show forth, and what have you received? What great fruitage are you showing forth? It is inevitable that from all over the world, people look at me and wonder in what way I am showing forth this truth and in what way my family is showing it forth. So it is asked-and more and more it will be asked, "In what way is this shining forth in the experience of the students who are receiving so much?" You must be prepared for this because it is natural. In order to bring forth spiritual fruitage it is necessary that you thoroughly understand what it is you are trying to show forth. There must be no question in your own mind. In the ordinary religious life, the student is always seeking something. It is true they are seeking it of God, but this is not at all true in the mystical life. In the mystical life it is a continuous realization that "I already am." I am not going anywhere, nor am I going to attain more of God than I have, more of good than I have. I am rather "abiding in the Word." What Word? "All that the Father hath is mine. I am all that God is." In other words, sooner or later you must come to the realization that God has fulfilled itself in you-not today and not tomorrow and not since you have studied The Infinite Way. "Before Abraham was, I am you; I am the fulfillment of you. Before Abraham was, I have come in the midst of you, that you might be fulfilled. I am come that you might have life and that you might have life more abundant." 2 It was true about you "before Abraham was"-not after you read a certain amount of books. This message ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 1963, Nothing Can Be Added.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:14- 102K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 26, 1963, Spiritual Love
- SPIRITUAL LOVE May 26, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel IN THE JULY Letter, you are going to have the first three of this series of talks, and in following letters there will be more. You will remember that we started with the unfoldment of God as infinite divine consciousness. Because this same God, this same infinite divine consciousness is individual consciousness, we therefore draw forth our good by "opening out a way for the imprisoned splendor to escape." We do this not from the consciousness in a holy temple, or a holy city, or a holy savior, but from our consciousness, from the divine consciousness which is your individual consciousness and mine. That is why meditation is the entire secret of harmonious spiritual living-because meditation is retiring into our innermost being, praying secretly within ourselves, and then letting spiritual good unfold. From this you catch a further glimpse that God never was a Jew, or a Christian, or a Mohammedan, or a Hindu-but rather that God is spirit and the spirit of God in you is the only God. Whether or not you were erroneously taught that you were a Christian, a V edantist, or a Buddhist, you have learned that it is absurd to have any racial or religious prejudice for the simple reason that we all have the one Father. "Call no man on earth your Father. There is but one Father, which is your Father and my Father." 1 We all have the same God and, fortunately for us, it is "closer than breathing, nearer than hands and feet." This understanding, and this alone, can make for the "Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Man." Otherwise we live our lives on the basis of tolerance and, if you were ever tolerated by anybody, you would know what a terrible word that is. In all of the seventeen years that I have traveled with the message of The Infinite Way, only three men in the United States from the metaphysical world have come into spiritual fellowship with me. I have met only three with whom I could completely unite in spiritual ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ay 26, 1963, Spiritual Love.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:20- 100K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 11, States & Stages of Consciousness
- ~ 11 ~ STATES AND STAGES OF CONSCIOUSNESS And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant. Jeremiah 1:9, 10 That was not said to a man; that was said to a state of consciousness, a state of spiritual consciousness. That state of consciousness not only roots out, but it also plants; it destroys, but it builds. The only thing that it tears down and destroys is a false sense, a false sense of God, a false sense of the universe, a false sense of your individual being and body: What it builds up is the realization of true identity-a knowledge of the world as it really is and of all that is in the world. There are states and stages of consciousness, however, and when we are working in the human world with our human resources, with our human wisdom and physical strength, we are living in and through a material state of consciousness. The world as a whole was for the most part in a state of material consciousness until the middle of the nineteenth century when it advanced into a more mental state of consciousness. Always, there have been a few people who have to some extent known the mental realm-the artists, writers, and visionaries of all time. When the power of the mind was first brought to the attention of the world at large during the middle of the last century, the world seemed ready to advance into a mental state of consciousness, and it began to do mentally what had formerly been performed physically. In other words, healings of the body which had formerly been accomplished by means of medicines, herbs, or plasters now were being brought about by "thinking thoughts," by mental suggestion, at times even auto-suggestion. All types of healing by mental means came into being, from the out-and-out hypnotic to that which was just a mild form of suggestion or auto-suggestion. The Mystical State ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s & Stages of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:35- 127K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 12, Good Unfolding as the Activity of Individual Consciousness
- ~ 12 ~ GOOD UNFOLDING AS THE ACTIVITY OF INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS Let us begin to tie in the threads-these threads of consciousness-in order to form a strong cord of realization and understanding, and bring this down to practical application, in other words, have the Word become flesh. Our effort, our desire, our prayer, is to understand God. That means to understand infinity, eternality, and immortality. Since God is the subject of our work, of our understanding, and of our revelation, then infinity, immortality, and eternality must be the nature of its effect in our experience. It may not be that today or tomorrow or next week-or even next year-we shall demonstrate the fullness of God, the allness of God. But God is all; God is infinite, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient; and in the degree of our awareness of that, we will bring forth those quantities and qualities of allness. Just because we have not completed our demonstration of the ascension does not mean that we have not caught the vision of God. Having caught that vision of God, we can go forward with patience to that time when the allness of God is revealed in the experience of ascension above the whole world of belief. It was only during the final moments of Jesus' ministry that he could say, "I have overcome the world." 1 So it will only be in the moment of ascension, in the moment when the fullness of realization comes to us, that we, too, can say, "I have overcome the world." But that is no excuse on our part to delay the climb-the unfoldment or revelation. There is no excuse for us to wait until the day of retirement when we shall have more time, or until the day of death when we shall have still more time. Our day begins now. And if that day is followed each succeeding day with a continued unfoldment of consciousness, there will be no such thing as a day of death: There will be a continuous experience of unfolding good. All of you who have caught this vision of God as consciousness and of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...of Individual Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:35- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Living Now: Chapter 12, The Revelation of Spiritual Sonship
- ... You can lose anything on the outer plane-your home, business, or bank account-but if you have your contact within, with the only real Substance, eventually all losses will be turned to profit. As you practice this, it will not be long before you discover the wisdom of it. Many persons write to tell how much happier they have been since studying the Infinite Way, even though their income has not increased. Perhaps they are not aware that doctor's bills are less, expenses for amusements have decreased, and money spent for practitioners is less because they have not had to call upon them so frequently. The income may not have vastly increased, but there are many places where money is not being spent. Money now fulfills a higher purpose because they are making contact with the only real substance there is: God. Whatever spiritual inspiration you receive within, adapt it to your human experience. This inner life manifests itself above all things in human relationships and at every level of life. In your conduct and attitude toward the stranger or those closest to you, there must be the same integrity, the same tolerance, the same patience, and the same forgiveness. This does not in any sense mean that you permit yourself to be taken advantage of. Your inner wisdom would quickly remove any such conditions from you. When you lead the contemplative life, you do not live for yourself only. Even if you go off to a cave, multitudes will find you, and through you they will find freedom. When you touch God, it does not mean that you will sit on Cloud Nine. In some measure, you will be called upon for your light so that others may also be set free. As part of the Infinite Way student group, you have a responsibility. You will be called upon to share your light with others. God will not let you store up spiritual treasures for your own benefit. Of those who have much, much will be demanded, and the more treasures you lay up, the more often will you be called upon. If you set ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...lation of Spiritual Sonship.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:51- 145K
Find Similar Documents
Living by Grace: Chapter 7, God, The Source and Substance
- CHAPTER 7 GOD, THE SOURCE AND SUBSTANCE Regardless of the degree of spiritual consciousness we have, some around us may not respond. Even the Master, Christ Jesus, could not avoid his Judas, or his doubting Thomas, or his denying Peter, or his disciples asleep in the garden. Peter eventually awakened and undoubtedly atoned in a measure, and probably Thomas did as well. Of Judas's eventual awakening to the spiritual Light we have no record. We do know there must have been a time when Saul of Tarsus could not respond to this spiritual impetus, yet eventually at a certain moment he not only responded to it but he also became a living witness to it. There are moments in the lives of many when they cannot respond to the spiritual influence that is about them. But eventually they will respond, in their time. With some it may take days, weeks, months, or years. With others it may take many lifetimes. But sooner or later, at some time, every knee will bend- every knee! So we need not despair if we find some in our families, in our church groups, or in our national or international life who are not at this moment responding to the spiritual impulse. That brings us to a very important point. In our experience, we are apt to believe that we are being held back by the lack of demonstration on the part of someone around us or that, for one reason or another, their lack of demonstration may be having an adverse influence on us. That would be true only in the degree that we permit it. If we are not yet ready to leave those who are holding back our demonstration, the blame is ours for clinging to the universal belief that our good comes from others or that their good comes from us. To understand how and why this is so, you need to know your true identity and your relationship to God. Your True Identity and Your Relationship to God The Master Jesus tells us that in order to attain the heights of Christhood, we must leave mother, father, brother, and sister for His sake. We must ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...d, The Source and Substance.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:46- 105K
Find Similar Documents
Living the Illumined Life: Chapter 5, Putting Off the Old Man and Rebirth
- Chapter Five Putting Off the Old Man and Rebirth The purpose of a work such as the Infinite Way is to die to the "old man," 1 and to be reborn of the Spirit: not partially reborn, but wholly reborn, putting on a whole new consciousness, a whole new mind, that "mind. . . which was also in Christ Jesus." 2 In the practical working out of this, the realization of the fullness of this Christ- consciousness may not be attained in a moment. That is because the Christ- consciousness is not attained through the acquiring of knowledge, not even acquiring a knowledge of truth. A person could know all the truth that has ever been revealed in all the philosophies and all the mystical writings known to man and still not have one single touch of Christ-consciousness. The Vessel Must Be Emptied of Self It is not any degree of human wisdom or any degree of human goodness that we may attain that brings forth the Christ. In fact, it might be far easier for some deep- dyed sinner to attain the Christ than for some very good person. The sinner is often well aware of his unworthiness. In his attitude of being "one of the least of these," 3 and understanding his own inadequacy, he has so emptied himself that he is ready to be filled with the Christ; whereas, as a rule, if a person is living a fairly good human life, he is likely to get the idea, "Hmm! I am good; I deserve to have this blessing. I really have worked hard for it and I deserve it." It does not come that way; it comes by Grace, and that Grace can come only in proportion as a person is emptied so that there is no self left to be good. As long as a person has a trace of a belief that he is good, deserving, or worthy, in that degree he is setting up a barrier for the entrance of the Christ. The Christ does not come while a vessel is already full of self and of a human being's goodness. The Christ comes when a person is so emptied of self that he has renounced not only the evil but also the good and has thus made himself ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Off the Old Man and Rebirth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:53- 123K
Find Similar Documents