The Art of Meditation: Chapter XVIII, A Circle of Christhood
- CHAPTER XVIII A CIRCLE OF CHRISTHOOD Is it reasonable to expect that there can be a whole group of people in modern times so dedicated to the Christ-life that they will live by actual spiritual contact? Is it conceivable that a body of students or earnest aspirants on the spiritual path will evolve, who will seriously accept the hypothesis that they, of themselves, are nothing, but that God is all? Is it within the range of possibility that a group of people will appear on this earth, who have arrived at that point of realization where life is lived by the Spirit? Such a group would establish a pattern for the whole world. Always there have been isolated individuals who have achieved Christhood by grace, but at no period in the history of the world has it been either realized or maintained by a group. No one has been able to impart it to a group, because up to this moment no effective way of transmitting the Christ-consciousness to large numbers has been found-at least none that has been effective. It was imparted by Jesus to the twelve disciples, and out of the twelve only three or four were able to maintain it. It was taught to several students by Buddha, but only two of them understood it, and of Lao-Tze's disciples, only one was able to carry on. Today the wisdom of all ages is again coming to light in human consciousness: "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord." This teaching of oneness is the ancient secret of the mystics revealed throughout all time by every one of the great spiritual lights of the world. Every great religious teacher has caught this vision of oneness. This it is which enables us to unite in that selfsame realization that if I am in the Father, and the Father is in me, then, you are in me, and I am in you; and we are all one in the Father, united in one consciousness. Despite the diverse forms of religious worship and teaching prevalent today, men and women of whatever persuasion should be able to unite in this age-old wisdom of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...III, A Circle of Christhood.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:31- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 1, The Principle of Christian Science
- ~ 1 ~ THE PRINCIPLE OF CHRISTIAN SCIENCE The time has come for inventory. Let us take stock of our understanding of Christian Science and see how far out of orthodoxy we have come. Formerly we believed in good and evil. To God was ascribed all the power of good, and to the devil, or Satan, was given all the power of evil. Now, through the study of Christian Science, we learn that there is no devil or Satan-but do we thereby recognize that there is no evil? It is on this point that we need to see what we are understanding as fact, or truth. It is true that we concede no power of evil to our old devil, but do we not concede this same power of evil to mortal mind, animal magnetism, hypnotism, aggressive mental suggestion, x.y.z.ism? Have we not merely changed the name of Satan and kept alive the evil propensities and powers under another name? In Unity of Good 9:27 Mrs. Eddy asks: "What is the central point of difference in my metaphysical system? This: that by knowing the unreality of disease, sin and death, you demonstrate the allness of God. This difference wholly separates my system from all others. The reality of these so-called existences I deny because they are not to be found in God, and this system is built on Him as the sole cause." Now sit down and seriously ask yourself whether or not you have accepted this teaching of Christian Science; whether or not you are still ascribing some erroneous condition to a cause other than God. Are you transferring the evil powers of Satan to a new one called mortal mind or animal magnetism, or have you definitely seen and understood that these are merely beliefs without power, reality, law, cause or effect? Are you still battling error, rising above evil, handling isms as if such beliefs were actual powers or causes of erroneous conditions? Or have you caught a glimpse of the beauty of the truth of Christian Science in the revelation that God, good, alone is cause and creator and, further, that "there are no effects from ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nciple of Christian Science.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:40- 112K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 27, Malpractice
- ~ 27 ~ MALPRACTICE I want to digress today in order to clear up a couple of misunderstandings, which are continually causing difficulties to working Scientists. There is a very prevalent belief that hate, envy, jealousy, etc., coming at us through the thoughts of others, can cause physical distress, sickness, or even death. In other words, it is believed that the evil thoughts of others can adversely affect us. It must be thoroughly understood that this is not so. Thoughts of others, even when directed at us, ignorantly or maliciously, have no power to harm us. Nothing from without can enter that "defileth, . . . or maketh a lie." "Christian Science translates mind, God, to mortals. It is the infinite calculus defining the line, plane, space, and fourth dimension of spirit. It absolutely refutes the amalgamation, transmigration, absorption, or annihilation of individuality. It shows the impossibility of transmitting human ills, or evil, from one individual to another; that all true thoughts revolve in God's orbits; they come from God and return to him,-and untruths belong not to his creation, therefore these are null and void." 1 "What can there be besides infinity? Nothing! Therefore the Science of Good calls evil nothing. Here is where Christian Science sticks to its text and other systems of religion abandon their own logic. Here also is found the pith of the basal statement, the cardinal point in Christian Science, that matter and evil (including all inharmony, sin, disease, death) are unreal." 2 "What is the cardinal point of the difference in my metaphysical system? This: that by knowing the unreality of disease, sin, and death, you demonstrate the allness of God. This difference wholly separates my system from all others. The reality of these so- called existences I deny, because they are not to be found in God, and this system is built on Him as the sole cause." 3 "Animal magnetism, hypnotism, etc., are disarmed by the practitioner who excludes from his own ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...rs_ Chapter 27, Malpractice.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:47- 83K
Find Similar Documents
The Infinite Way: The Christ
- ... We realize that whatever of good comes to us is the direct result of our own understanding of the nature of our own being. Our understanding of spiritual life unfolds in proportion to our receptivity to Truth, not praying up to God, but letting God unfold and reveal Itself to us. This is the higher concept of prayer. It is achieved as we take a few minutes now and then during the day and evening to meditate, commune, listen. In quietness, we become a state of receptivity which opens the way for us to feel or become aware of the very presence of God. This feel, or awareness, is the activity of God, Truth, in our consciousness - it is the Christ, the Reality of us. Ordinarily we live in a world of sense and concern ourselves only with the objects of sense. This gives us our experiences of good and evil, pain and pleasure. As we, through our study and meditation, turn more to the mental side of life, we find that we develop higher thoughts and, therefore, we experience better conditions. As our mental qualities become more refined and we take on more patience, kindness, charitableness, and forgiveness, our human experiences reflect these qualities back to us. But let us not stop there. Higher even than the plane of body and mind, there is the realm of Soul, the kingdom of God. Here we find the reality of our being, our divine nature - not that body and mind are separate or apart from Soul, but that Soul is the deepest recess of our being. In the realm of Soul, we find complete tranquility, absolute peace, harmony, and dominion. Here we find neither good nor evil, pain nor pleasure - only the joy of being. We are in the world, but not of it because we no longer see the world of sense as it appears to be but, having awakened our spiritual sense, we "see him as he is" - we see through appearances to the Real. Heretofore, we have sought our happiness in the objective universe, in person, place, or thing. Now, through spiritual sense, Soul-sense, the whole world tends to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he Infinite Way_ The Christ.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:15- 98K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 9, A High Form of Treatment
- ~ 9 ~ A HIGH FORM OF TREATMENT We must come to the realization that we are adults, and that we should be able to stand on our own two feet without being dependent on some one or some thing. This spiritual independence is achieved through the realization of our oneness with God: "I and my Father are one." This oneness with the Father constitutes my oneness with every spiritual being and idea. Therefore, I need not seek my good or be concerned about my good, because my oneness with God constitutes my good. It constitutes the law of attraction, bringing to me all that is necessary for my unfoldment, for the revelation of my true being, for my daily experience. Right where I am, God is. Right where I am, the allness of God is. This ever presence of God makes me independent of person, place, thing, circumstance, condition, or relationship. Wherever I am, the fullness of God is revealing Itself. The place whereon I stand is holy ground. Right here, right now, the allness of God is made manifest as my individual experience, and the awareness of this truth is the law unto that experience. I and the Father are one. In this oneness is my self-completeness. I am, therefore, Self-maintained; I am Self-sustained. The Self of me, the Reality of me, maintains and sustains me, supports and upholds me, teaches me, enlightens me, enriches me. This truth is a light unto my path. This truth is my salvation. The awareness of this truth-the conscious awareness of this truth-sets me free from human dependence. I am in the world, but not of it. I enjoy all the experiences, all the relationships, all the joys, all the companionships, that are a part of God's spiritual creation. And yet I am free. All those with whom I come in contact are free-free to enjoy each other, but not to hold each other in any sense of bondage, physical, mental, moral, or economic. Each one is free in Christ. I find my freedom in Christ. I find my economic freedom, my political freedom, my physical freedom, my moral ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...9, A High Form of Treatment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:28- 128K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XXIV, The Master Alchemist
- CHAPTER XXIV THE MASTER ALCHEMIST Too many Occidentals believe that the mystical life is not only impractical, but largely a figment of the imagination. In this age, however, the way of mysticism is being shown to be, not something mythical, mysterious, or occult, but spiritual, and a far more practical way of life than any yet devised in the human realm. It changes life from the everyday humdrum human experience with its trials and tribulations and its ups and downs to an entirely different kind of life, one lived from within, and yet not lived by us, but rather lived through us-a life in which we pass from living by taking thought and by our own effort to living by the Spirit. The Master Christ Jesus taught his followers to "resist not evil," to cease from strife of all kinds whether by the sword or the law, and to give twice as much in return if something were taken from them. Such a teaching sounds very impractical for this day and age, but as a matter of fact, it is far more practical than living a life dependent for its security and safety upon an army, navy, and air force: not only would we be relieved of the staggering expense of maintaining them, but we would also be relieved of any danger from an enemy because in this way of life there are no enemies. It would be as impossible to live with this transcendental Presence and have an enemy as it would be to live with It and then find oneself in danger from snakes, wild animals, starvation, or any other form of physical or mental discord. This is a very difficult idea for the human mind to grasp. What the unillumined mind sees, hears, tastes, touches, and smells seems so real, and the material and mental universe looks so real, that nothing could be considered quite as ridiculous as to stand before the highest temporal authority of the day and calmly state, "Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above," or to say, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... XXIV, The Master Alchemist.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:02- 107K
Find Similar Documents
Awakening Mystical Consciousness: Chapter 1, The Atheism of Material Power
- ~ 1 ~ THE ATHEISM OF MATERIAL POWER FEAR grips humanity because fear, implanted in the mind of man, has made man forget God is the life of man and that life cannot be destroyed, not by a bomb or by the will of tyrants. Mesmeric world suggestion makes man think he has a life of his own and it can be lost. Humanly, this is true. Spiritually, under the Christ, it is not. The Master let his human life be taken, and then he proved that neither his life nor his body could be destroyed. Neither our individual life nor our body can be destroyed by human will or deed when we know the truth about life. In the London blitz during World War II, one couple agreed that because they had accepted God as their life, their safety, and their security, they would not build a bombproof shelter as had all their neighbors. Each evening when the blitz began and their neighbors went to their shelters, they volunteered for fire watch and walked up and down the streets. Not only were they not touched, but neither was their home, even though all around it there was great destruction. It did not come near their dwelling place for the simple reason that their dwelling place was not London, a house, or a bombproof shelter. Their dwelling place was God; they lived and moved and had their being in God. "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress." 1 Many persons believe that means God will send them a brick or cement fortress. It does not mean that at all. It means what it says, that it is God in whom "we live, and move, and have our being." 2 But the human race has cut itself off from that fortress of God by seeking safety and security in pieces of matter. BEING A DISCIPLE OF THE CHRIST The disciples of the Christ were imprisoned, but they walked out of prison with an angel ministering to them. 3 The disciple of the Christ, who does not believe safety, security, health, and harmony are to be found in pieces of matter, mounts the cross and rises out of the tomb. That individual, reborn of the Spirit, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...e Atheism of Material Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:07- 133K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 4, The Nature of Error
- ~ 4 ~ THE NATURE OF ERROR God is all, but nevertheless, every day and almost every hour of every day we are faced with error in some form, and if we are to be free of these errors, it is necessary for us to understand the nature of error. Eventually in our meditation, we will become so consciously one with God that error will never come near us; it will fade away automatically even as we approach it. Until that time, however, let us not hesitate or fear to talk about the nature of error and what to do about it when we see evidences of it. Everyone, regardless of what branch of metaphysics he has studied, has accepted, if only intellectually, the unreal nature of error. Therefore, in the working out of problems it becomes necessary for us to gain as much understanding as possible of the unreal nature of error so that it can be met and dissolved instantaneously. Error Is Never a Person, Place, Thing, or Condition Always when error appears to us, it appears as a person, place, thing, or condition. It may appear as disease, that is, as some kind of a localized condition, and that is what fools us. We go to work on the condition, and thereby make it a reality. Error never appears as error: It always appears in some form that will ensnare the unwary. If error would only appear as error, all of us would be free. If it would only say to us, "Steal a diamond ring," or, "Commit adultery," we would be so safe from it, because we would never succumb to such temptations. But it never appears in such ways. It always appears as a brilliant diamond attracting us, as a strong, handsome man or a beautiful, alluring woman tempting us. And we do not realize that that apparently desirable form is error. All that we see is the beautiful form that error has assumed, that error appears to be, that error appears as. The metaphysician who is wise and alert, however, will not only recognize that error always appears as person, place, thing, or condition, but that good also appears as person, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 4, The Nature of Error.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:17- 119K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 10, 1963, Beside God There Is No Other
- BESIDE GOD THERE IS NO OTHER February 10, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS from the tape that you heard this morning? Are there any points that need clarifying? I know it was a very important tape. (1960 Denver Closed Class: Advanced Spiritual Healing Class: Protective Work.) Question: I am interested in what you said about the Christian attitude towards business. You said that John Wanamaker of Philadelphia started pricing at a set price and that this was a Christian way of doing business. Can you explain? Answer: There isn't anyone in the world who is not affected by business. When we speak of the right way of doing business, we speak of business on the basis of the Golden Rule, on the Christian-conducted basis. Before Wanamaker, no store ever had a set price. Everything was bargaining ability, so at first he nearly went bankrupt. People saw the price tags and then started to bargain. At first, when they were told there was to be no bargaining, they walked out. The closer you get to a spiritual way of conducting business, the more just and equitable a type of business would be conducted. In this present era, business is about as un-Christian as it could be; we have reverted to cutthroat business. Once you start humanly manipulating prices, you will find a hundred ways of manipulating them. V ery few people are paying a fair price for the merchandise they buy; they are either paying too much or too little. The same thing is true in the stock market where some stocks are too high or too low. It all comes to this: that individually we may attempt to live our lives in accord with a principle but not be permitted to while we are in an era like this where prices are determined by outside factors. If it is the law, then we have to conform to it. That is unfortunate for those who would like to live by principles. However, it would not prevent an individual's spiritual development. Everything takes place in consciousness, not what you do ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...eside God There Is No Other.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:11- 109K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 18, 1963, Spiritual Responsibility
- ... Two things we have covered today: (1) To separate yourself from the belief that you belong to any particular religious body, and see yourself as an individual leading the contemplative life, leading your life through inner guidance. (2) Whatever spiritual inspiration you receive within, adapt it to your human experiences without. Above all things, this inner life manifests itself in human relationships with each other and at every level of life, regardless of what level it might be. In our conduct and attitude toward the one closest to us or the stranger, there must be the same integrity, the same tolerance, the same patience, the same forgiveness as with anyone else. This does not mean you must be taken advantage of-your inner wisdom would quickly take you away from those conditions. TRUTH IS NOT FOR YOU ALONE Now you have a responsibility, because as part of this group you are not receiving this message for yourself. I trust that you all know that anyone who is a part of this group ... The observance of any holiday or holy day, feast day, rite or ceremony is usually believed to influence God. If we go through communion service, or observe any rite or ritual, we think that it gives us influence with God. There is nothing you can humanly be doing that will influence God. It can only be done by coming into obedience to God's laws. The Master's whole teaching is how to bring us into at-one-ment with God. Then you have attuned yourself with spiritual law. If you pray for the enemy, ask forgiveness, you are attuning yourself. The minister I was with the other day said, "Prayer is fitting ourselves to receive the grace of God which is ever- present." I am really shocked when I think of people who pray for things without any idea at all of not changing themselves. Here I am leading my human life: "Now you come on down, God, and do something for me." God's grace cannot be added to what is done humanly. Individuals come for prayer thinking we would reduce the lump or stop the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...3, Spiritual Responsibility.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:19- 108K
Find Similar Documents