Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 6, Meditation
- ~ 6 ~ MEDITATION WE MUST CONSIDER MEDITATION at this point, because it will more and more play an important part in your life and, as a matter or fact, become very important. Meditation may be a practice that extends over a period of five minutes or five hours, or it can be an experience of seconds. To begin with, let us take up the subject of meditation as we would if we are not perfectly familiar with it. In other words, let's start in as if it were a new subject to us. Now, you remember that on the first night I spoke about beginning the day with that part of The Infinite Way that gives us instructions about waking in the morning, to be found in the chapter entitled "Meditation." I hope you have been religiously following this, because it leads to this idea of meditation. You see, the minute you awaken in the morning and realize, "I and the Father are one," 1 you are meditating. That is going within and realizing the inner reality of being, and that's meditation. Any form of going within is meditation, especially when you have something to meditate on, and you do: you have, "I and the Father are one." And even if you declare this only once with your eyes closed, you meditate on that particular idea. Now, if you sat down in your chair for a few moments and realized or pondered the idea that "the wave is one with the ocean, so I am one with God . . . as a sunbeam isn't something separate and apart from the sun, but really an emanation of the sun itself . . ." and so on, you were meditating. You see, there is nothing of a secret or occult nature about meditating- nothing of a secret process-nothing strange or mysterious. Meditation is nothing more or less than pondering some idea of universal truth. Now, let us suppose we are getting ready to leave home and go about our business but we want some meditation first. We are not going to take any of our problems into the meditation at all. Our meditation is merely the realization or conscious establishment of our unity ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 6, Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 108K
Find Similar Documents
Practicing the Presence: Chapter IX, A Moment of Christhood
- CHAPTER IX A MOMENT OF CHRISTHOOD The correct letter of truth necessary for spiritual unfoldment is embodied in the principles as set forth in the foregoing chapters: Love God with all your heart, acknowledging that God is the only power and that there is no power in any effect; love your neighbor as yourself by refraining from all judgment as to good or evil, by forgiving seventy times seven, and by praying for your enemies; recognize the infinite nature of individual being, the corollary of which is that there is only one Self; begin to pour, in the realization that to him that hath shall be given; demonstrate God and not things; meditate on God and the things of God; and live only in this moment, which is the only moment there is. A full realization of any one of these principles, living and working with it, day after day and week after week, would be sufficient to transform our experience and usher us into the kingdom of heaven. Instead of attempting to grasp the full meaning of truth in the short span of a day or a week, with one reading of this or of any other book, we should begin working with some one principle and take that principle into meditation daily for at least a month, dwelling on it until its inner meaning is revealed, and it becomes "the spirit that quickeneth," and then observe to what extent our words and acts are in harmony with it. Thus it becomes bone of our bone and flesh of our flesh. Many times we let the pressure of the world rob us, not only of our peace, but of the time in which to have these quiet periods of renewal which work the transformation in our lives. If we are sincere in our desire to experience God, we shall make it a matter of decision to let nothing interfere with our firm resolve and steadfast purpose. Most of us know people who have already discovered the way to do this. These people are able to accomplish a tremendous amount of work and yet never seem to be pressed for time, but always, even in the midst of the most ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... IX, A Moment of Christhood.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:02- 93K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: The Law
- THE LAW THE FIRST COMMANDMENT, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me," is an admonition to look to one source for our good and it indicates that Me or I AM is that source. To this law all must render obedience. I am the one who must obey it. If I lived in the constant awareness of my true identity, it would be impossible for any one to interfere with my demonstration of harmonious, fruitful and eternal life, and if men always heeded the First Commandment, the journey into the Kingdom of God would be a quick one. Obedience to this command requires strict mental discipline. It means that every time you are tempted to place confidence in a power outside yourself, you must mentally argue with yourself (use the law) until you have brought yourself back into the presence and power of your own consciousness. This mental warfare is the law - the letter of truth - and always leads to the Spirit of Truth when faithfully followed. This, the First Commandment, then, is a law which you must literally obey - have no other presence or power than the Universal Consciousness, which is the consciousness of the individual, of you. You exist as infinite, individual, spiritual consciousness. You are not body. You are not limited mind or mentality. You are consciousness. What is this "I" which possesses body, business, home, talent, genius? It is not body. Feet, arms, legs, head - these are mine. But what is this "I" or "Me", that possesses them? There is only one "I", one Ego, one Consciousness. It is God. "I" am therefore universal. It is the "I" of me - individual Ego appearing as you, as me, as all so-called individual men and women. Individual existence is the continuous unfoldment of experience from within your own being. Nothing and no one exists outside your own consciousness. What we behold as person and thing is the idea of reality unfolding as our consciousness. There is in all the universe but one power, and I am that law and power. The consciousness which I am, the only I ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation of Scripture_ The Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:19- 95K
Find Similar Documents
The Infinite Way: The New Horizon
- THE NEW HORIZON THE SENSE which presents pictures of discord and inharmony, disease and death, is the universal mesmerism which produces the entire dream of human existence. It must be understood that there is no more reality to harmonious human existence than to discordant world conditions. It must be realized that the entire human scene is mesmeric suggestion, and we must rise above the desire for even good human conditions. Understand fully that suggestion, belief, or hypnotism is the substance, or fabric, of the whole mortal universe and that human conditions of both good and evil are dream pictures having no reality or permanence. Be willing for the harmonious as well as the inharmonious conditions of mortal existence to disappear from your experience in order that reality may be known and enjoyed and lived. Above this sense-life, there is a universe of Spirit governed by Love, peopled with children of God living in the household or temple of Truth. This world is real and permanent: Its substance is eternal Consciousness. In it there is no awareness of discords or even of temporary and material good. The first glimpse of Reality - of the Soul-realm - comes with the recognition and realization of the fact that all temporal conditions and experiences are products of self-hypnotism. With the realization that the entire human scene - its good as well as its evil - is illusion, come the first glimpse and taste of the world of God's creation and of the sons of God who inhabit the spiritual kingdom. Now, in this moment of uplifted consciousness, we are able, even though faintly, to see ourselves free of material, mortal, human, and legal laws. We behold ourselves separate and apart from the bondage of sense, and in a measure we glimpse the unlimited boundaries of eternal Life and of infinite Consciousness. The fetters of finite existence begin to fall away; the price tags begin to disappear. We no longer dwell in thought on human happiness or prosperity, nor is there ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...finite Way_ The New Horizon.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:15- 77K
Find Similar Documents
Practicing the Presence: Chapter VIII, The Rhythm of God
- ... Sometimes, when we are faced with frustrating or disturbing circumstances, we may wonder how we can praise God, but if we are awake in spiritual sonship, we can always find ways to acknowledge God. This continuous practice of the Presence, acknowledging God in all our ways, providing ample periods for sitting in the silence, and waiting for an inner feeling that the Spirit of God is moving, makes God the governing, maintaining, and sustaining principle of our entire experience. The real prayer of spiritual understanding is a prayer that God's gift of Himself may be given to us. Infinity is within us at this and at every moment: all spiritual wisdom, all divine grace, eternality, and immortality-all of these are embodied within us at this and at every single moment. Let us begin to show forth this infinity. How? Begin to pour. Search around in your spiritual house, your consciousness, and see if you cannot find some biblical passage, some mite of love to express to someone, or a few drops of forgiveness. Find something in your house. Begin to let the few drops of oil you find there flow silently, secretly, and sacredly. Keep them flowing, and as you do, be receptive to what is unfolded from within. Do not attempt to make up statements or thoughts. Wait patiently in a relaxed state of receptivity for them to come to you. Soon a second idea will be added to the original thought. Contemplate both of them. Dwell upon their meaning; dwell upon their possible effect in your life or in the life of another. As you ponder these two ideas, sometimes gently, sometimes explosively, a third thought comes, something which you had not thought about before. And where are these ideas coming from? From within you. Remember they have always been there, but now you are letting them out. Within that Withinness is the storehouse that is your individual storehouse, yet it is infinite because it is God. The kingdom of God is within you, and in meditation you are drawing on it. If there is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter VIII, The Rhythm of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:03- 104K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 9, A High Form of Treatment
- ~ 9 ~ A HIGH FORM OF TREATMENT We must come to the realization that we are adults, and that we should be able to stand on our own two feet without being dependent on some one or some thing. This spiritual independence is achieved through the realization of our oneness with God: "I and my Father are one." This oneness with the Father constitutes my oneness with every spiritual being and idea. Therefore, I need not seek my good or be concerned about my good, because my oneness with God constitutes my good. It constitutes the law of attraction, bringing to me all that is necessary for my unfoldment, for the revelation of my true being, for my daily experience. Right where I am, God is. Right where I am, the allness of God is. This ever presence of God makes me independent of person, place, thing, circumstance, condition, or relationship. Wherever I am, the fullness of God is revealing Itself. The place whereon I stand is holy ground. Right here, right now, the allness of God is made manifest as my individual experience, and the awareness of this truth is the law unto that experience. I and the Father are one. In this oneness is my self-completeness. I am, therefore, Self-maintained; I am Self-sustained. The Self of me, the Reality of me, maintains and sustains me, supports and upholds me, teaches me, enlightens me, enriches me. This truth is a light unto my path. This truth is my salvation. The awareness of this truth-the conscious awareness of this truth-sets me free from human dependence. I am in the world, but not of it. I enjoy all the experiences, all the relationships, all the joys, all the companionships, that are a part of God's spiritual creation. And yet I am free. All those with whom I come in contact are free-free to enjoy each other, but not to hold each other in any sense of bondage, physical, mental, moral, or economic. Each one is free in Christ. I find my freedom in Christ. I find my economic freedom, my political freedom, my physical freedom, my moral ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...9, A High Form of Treatment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:28- 128K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 1, The Principle of Christian Science
- ~ 1 ~ THE PRINCIPLE OF CHRISTIAN SCIENCE The time has come for inventory. Let us take stock of our understanding of Christian Science and see how far out of orthodoxy we have come. Formerly we believed in good and evil. To God was ascribed all the power of good, and to the devil, or Satan, was given all the power of evil. Now, through the study of Christian Science, we learn that there is no devil or Satan-but do we thereby recognize that there is no evil? It is on this point that we need to see what we are understanding as fact, or truth. It is true that we concede no power of evil to our old devil, but do we not concede this same power of evil to mortal mind, animal magnetism, hypnotism, aggressive mental suggestion, x.y.z.ism? Have we not merely changed the name of Satan and kept alive the evil propensities and powers under another name? In Unity of Good 9:27 Mrs. Eddy asks: "What is the central point of difference in my metaphysical system? This: that by knowing the unreality of disease, sin and death, you demonstrate the allness of God. This difference wholly separates my system from all others. The reality of these so-called existences I deny because they are not to be found in God, and this system is built on Him as the sole cause." Now sit down and seriously ask yourself whether or not you have accepted this teaching of Christian Science; whether or not you are still ascribing some erroneous condition to a cause other than God. Are you transferring the evil powers of Satan to a new one called mortal mind or animal magnetism, or have you definitely seen and understood that these are merely beliefs without power, reality, law, cause or effect? Are you still battling error, rising above evil, handling isms as if such beliefs were actual powers or causes of erroneous conditions? Or have you caught a glimpse of the beauty of the truth of Christian Science in the revelation that God, good, alone is cause and creator and, further, that "there are no effects from ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nciple of Christian Science.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:40- 112K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 11, When Peace Descends
- XI when peace descends T HE WORLD THAT GOD made in six days is the world that we are making with our labors. We are creating our new world every day with our mental and spiritual labors. We are creating a whole new world for ourselves, a whole new consciousness, and one day we will realize that we have reached it. Our labors have not been in vain. The Christ is risen; we have entered. "My people must enter a period of rest, a Sabbath," 1 in which life is by grace, "not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit." 2 And never forget this: It is a real experience, living by the power of God. It is not a biblical phrase. It is a real experience, living by the Spirit of God, living by grace, living in the Sabbath, where you no longer "take thought for your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink or wherewithal ye shall be clothed," 3 but My spirit goeth before you. The movement, the transition from law to grace, is done by you, within your consciousness, at a specific moment. It could be a moment like this one, in which you decide that the time has come to stop living by chance, by averages, by insurance statistics. In other words, the time has come to stop being a statistic, and to move out from among them. Come out and be separate and live under grace. It can only happen in one way. "If so be the Spirit of God be in you, then are you the children of God." 4 Until that time, you are a mortal; you are a human being; you are subject to age, change, limitation, war, peace, depression, boom, health, sickness, life and death, chance, luck, and horoscopes. But when you make the transition filled with the Spirit of God, "then are you children of God, and if children, heirs, and if heirs, joint-heirs with Christ in God to all of the spiritual kingdom." 5 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." 6 What a strange statement this is to come from a consciousness such as that of the Master! Somehow or other, we visualize Jesus, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...vernment of Eden_Chapter 11.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:07- 62K
Find Similar Documents
The Mystical I: Chapter Seven, Impersonalizing Error
- CHAPTER SEVEN IMPERSONALIZING ERROR There have been hundreds of mystics in the history of the world who have been lifted so high in consciousness that they have realized I, and yet many of them were never able to round out a happy, healthy, or successful life, nor did they ever raise up a body of students capable of revealing to the world the divine harmony that is here for everyone. Why was this? Why, when they had reached such great heights, were they still plagued with the discords of this world? The reason is that they never grasped the importance and significance of the nature of error. Without an understanding of the nature of error, this world is not going to be any different in the next generation than it has been in this one. We all know that there have been many revelations of I, but we also know that these revelations have not saved the world. The revelation of the nature of error in combination with the revelation of I, however, can and will. AN UNDERSTANDING OF THE NONPOWER OF EFFECT IS ESSENTIAL It is true that the nature of error was taught in some degree in the early years of metaphysical teaching and healing, but the real significance of the principle of the nothingness and nonpower of disease was not understood. It was believed that mind, which was made synonymous with God, was the power that healed the disease - in short, that God was the power that removed it. However, if you accept the truth that God is omnipotent, you most logically follow that with, "Well, then, nothing but God is power." That must mean the powerlessness of anything and everything that is appearing to you as power, whether it is person, thing, circumstance, or condition. You can then look at it objectively and realize how impossible it would be for it to be a power or have a power, if God is omnipresent and omnipotent, the only presence and the only power. The more aware you become of the nature of God as omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence, the more aware you become of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...even, Impersonalizing Error.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:32- 107K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 2, Teacher, Student & Teaching
- ... Only through the development of the spiritual consciousness exemplified by Jesus will all nations finally be enabled to put up their swords and turn them into ploughshares. You may wonder whether or not anyone can live up to a teaching as demanding as this, but it can be done-it can be done individually and collectively. You can begin now to live up to the Master's teaching by forgiving your enemy and by praying for those who persecute you; and if you, as an individual, can do this, the world can. One of the greatest laws of the Bible is the law of forgiveness, of praying for your enemies. But forgiveness does not mean looking at a human being, remembering the terrible offense he has committed against you, and then forgiving him for it. There is no virtue in that. True forgiveness is the ability to see through his human appearance to the Divinity of his being and realize that in the Divinity of his being there has never been, and is not now, error of any nature. It is as if this person were to ask you for help, and in helping him you would have to behold him as he really is, as pure spiritual being. Every day we are called on to look upon all those toward whom we have any negative feeling as spiritual beings and practice this act of forgiveness. This means turning to the Christ of our own being, and there knowing that nothing but love exists. There never has been a mortal being, and all that appears as a mortal is but the Christ Itself incorrectly seen. Like forgiveness, praying for our enemies is one of the great laws of life and of the Bible. This does not mean that we are helpless before the enemy: It really means being able to understand God as the life and the mind of individual man, and to know that there is no other mind but that one. Appearances have nothing at all to do with it. We are not dealing with appearances. We are dealing with the reality of being. Oneness, the Keynote The teaching is that you must individually contact God. God must become real and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Teacher, Student & Teaching.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:16- 144K
Find Similar Documents