The Government of Eden: Chapter 4, When We Are Tempted By Good And Evil
- IV when we are tempted by good and evil I HAVE KNOWN FROM the beginning that we were deal- ing with a spiritual universe and that the evil in it wasn't real, but I never knew why, nor did I know how we came into this state of being out of Eden until the revelation came. The revelation came in those passages where God said, "Who told you that you were naked?" 1 And then I knew that something was wrong. Then, when it said, "the knowledge of good and evil," 2 and Adam and Eve were thrown out of Eden-that gave me the whole secret. Eden represents our spiritual domain. Eden represents the state of harmony or heaven. Eden represents our immortality, our state of divine being. What threw us out of that into what the Master called "this world"? 3 There it is, as plain as anyone can read: the knowledge of good and evil-that's what did it. For weeks I didn't get over the shaking that I got from the intensity of that revelation-that the cause of all the trouble on the face of the earth is the belief in good and evil; nobody can stay in the Garden of Eden, of harmony, of perfection, while they are accepting in their mind the belief of good and evil. But everybody can go back into Eden and be pure, and have lives by grace, not by the sweat of the brow; by grace, by the gift of God, by giving up the belief of good and evil; by being willing to concede that there's no good man on earth and no bad one; no good woman on earth, no bad one; no good child on earth, no bad one. There is neither good nor bad. Thinking would make it so. Yes, you can decide that this is good, and the other one can decide that is good. You can decide this is evil, and the other one can decide that is evil. But you withdraw your estimate, your opinion, your concept, and declare that "in all of heaven and earth, nothing is good or evil-only God Itself, the Invisible, is the all-good; nothing visible, nothing that you can see, hear, taste, touch, or smell is good, nor is it evil, nor has it any qualities like ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 4.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:06- 139K
Find Similar Documents
Living the Illumined Life: Chapter 10, Call No Man Your Father Upon the Earth
- ... You have merely accepted that God from someone's teaching, and now that you have put yourself under that God, you sit around waiting for your rewards, which somehow do not come in this world, and you wait for your punishments, and they seem to come twice a day. But then you are more expectant of the punishment than you are of the rewards. Those are images you have made in your mind. You subject yourself to all kinds of man-made laws, but when you remove yourself from man-made laws and bring yourself under Grace, you then understand what the Master meant when he said, "If any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also," 12 meaning that if someone takes your diamonds, give him your rubies, too. In other words, "The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof," 13 and it is yours by Grace. If someone is ignorant of that and takes what belongs to you, do not fear, it will be replaced because "the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof," and it all belongs to you. Once you give up the protection of man-made law, you come under Grace. Once you give up the law of an-eye-for-an-eye and a-tooth-for-a-tooth, you come under the Grace of forgiveness, but this comes only as a transition in consciousness. You are under the law as long as you are holding somebody else to that law. When you bind another, you have bound yourself; when you free another, you have freed yourself. Consider how many man-made laws you have accepted for yourself and for others. Do not wonder that you are under the law and do not think that you can come under Grace while holding somebody else in bondage to the law. You are under Grace when you free all persons from being under the law, holding no one in bondage but acknowledging your Christhood and theirs. A Life of Grace Has No Needs "Call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." 14 God is your Father; therefore you are the Christ, the son of God. Tell me, what is there ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Your Father Upon the Earth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:54- 126K
Find Similar Documents
A Message for the Ages: Chapter 1, The Need for Religion
- ... On the other hand, the person who is gross, who has never lived very close to God or thought much about God can go on for a long time storing up karma. When it reaches a certain level, however, even he gets clipped, because he is not violating a God, he is violating his God, the God at the center of his being. An Inner Cleansing Is Necessary for Forgiveness When we take the Master's teaching seriously, we realize that we cannot merely go to church on Sunday and because of that receive absolution. No minister, priest, or rabbi can absolve ... There cannot be a God that would injure, destroy, or withhold. Such a God would not be God. God is love, and what makes us believe in Christianity is the life the Master lived and the work he did. He said that his work was "to do the will of him that sent"9 him. In that will there is no withholding, no lack of forgiveness, no excommunication. Nothing like that! The sinner is just as much welcomed as the saint, because the sinner has come to be made a saint. Jesus came to heal the sick, raise the dead, preach the gospel, and feed the ... The Consciousness of No Judgment Brings Peace Once we have experienced God we can never again judge, criticize, or condemn a person for anything he does. " 'Father, forgive them: for they know not what they do.'12 If they only knew, they would live by Grace instead of by theft, but we will teach it to them, that is, we will teach it to those who are willing." We cannot benefit anyone when we criticize, judge, condemn, or sit in judgment. The Master's whole ministry was one of love and forgiveness. It was not that he was so loving: it was because he was performing the ministry of his Father. And that is the mission given to us: not to sit in judgment, criticism, or condemnation, but to forgive, not caring what a person does tomorrow. If he wants to sin tomorrow and be punished again, that is his business, but this day he has come to us and received forgiveness. That is our mission and function. Prayer ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Message for the Ages Chap1.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-27 20:20:56- 133K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XIV, And They Shall All Be Taught of God
- CHAPTER XIV "AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD" All work on the spiritual path is directed toward the development of a consciousness higher than that of the intellect or human mind. In the beginning, when there was no awareness of good or of evil, man lived out from the divine Consciousness, but after what is known as the Fall of Man, he took unto himself a consciousness of his own. He no longer had an awareness of the Father- consciousness: he now had a mortal consciousness, a consciousness of death, as does everyone who is under the universal belief in two powers. The purpose of work on the spiritual path is to bring about the return to this divine state of consciousness. In some cases, the impartation of that mind which was in Christ Jesus takes place in an individual when, through some act of Grace within himself, the Master -I am not speaking now of a man: I am speaking of the Master, the divine Consciousness-touches an individual and operates in him without the help of a teacher or without the help of a teaching. Paul, who received his illumination thirty years after the Crucifixion, had no personal teacher to help bring about the spiritual transformation which took place in him. His religious teacher, Gamaliel, was a scholar with a thorough knowledge of Hebrew theology, but probably with little spiritual awareness, and spiritual power seems to have been completely absent from him. So, this Saul of Tarsus, who had been out on the mission of persecuting and helping to kill Christians, this Saul, one of the most highly educated and trained of religious scholars, but apparently without a trace of the spiritual, received his illumination from within himself without the help of a teacher or of a teaching on the outer plane. Paul may have received his teaching and illumination directly from the Spirit of the Christ Itself, but it may well be that because of his identification with the Judaic movement in the days of the Messiah, he attributed his illumination to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Shall All Be Taught of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 133K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XXVII, Living Above the Pairs of Opposites
- CHAPTER XXVII LIVING ABOVE THE PAIRS OF OPPOSITES From the time of the second-chapter-of-Genesis creation, man has lived in a world of two powers, fluctuating between good and evil, and often experiencing more of evil than of good. As he gains the concept of one power, and one alone, and perceives that there is neither a good power nor an evil power, he is no longer fascinated by either the good or the evil of human experience, and he becomes less identified with sensations that arise from one or the other. Man gradually learns to look upon evil without emotion, without attaching it to anyone, one might say almost without sympathy. He recognizes the nature of the appearance, and instead of accepting it as real, he accepts it as an appearance or as an illusory experience. This is not always easy to do, and it is far easier to see the illusory nature of an appearance of evil than it is to see the illusory nature of an appearance of good; but, easy or hard, the attitude must be attained and maintained that if the good is not of God, it will not be permanent, and therefore there is no use in rejoicing over it. It is obvious that this attitude takes a great deal of pleasure out of the human aspects of life, just as it takes a great deal of misery out of it, but it does replace those human emotions with an inner conviction that behind this visible scene there is a spiritual reality, and at any moment it can come into full view. When a call for help comes, our first and natural human reaction is the desire to change the evil appearance to a good one. If we are to succeed in spiritual living, however, we must very quickly bring to conscious awareness the truth that the object of a spiritual ministry is not to change disease into health, for health is only one of those temporary conditions that become disease tomorrow, next week, or next year, and not to decry the evil and try to bring about the good; but rather to turn away from the appearance and keep our gaze on the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...bove the Pairs of Opposites.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:05- 113K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: August 1956, Contemplative Meditation
- ... But never should one be encouraged or even consider leaving his human surroundings until the call is unmistakable. Only in this way will the spiritual men and women of the world be worthy of their calling. When this is thoroughly understood there will no longer be false prophets and false teachers, nor will people leave the human world for what they consider the spiritual world before they are called. It also will be understood that each individual is called to fulfill some specific spiritual function in the divine plan; therefore there will be no lack, no disease, no war, and no unhappiness; and every individual will be cared for physically, mentally, morally, and economically. There are those who must be saints and seers and spiritual teachers, just as there are those who must fill positions in the family, business, and government; but each one who fulfills any of these in the realization of his spiritual destiny fulfills it harmoniously, joyously, successfully; with love, generosity, and forgiveness. The greatest privilege that can ever come to an individual is that of sharing the grace of God which is received and revealed in the silence and secrecy of the heart. The most sacred work on earth is the giving and sharing of God's riches of spiritual wisdom. My own heart is full of gratitude that God has spoken to me in silence, in sacredness, and in secrecy, and then permitted me to share these spiritual gems with others. One of the greatest human privileges that has ever been mine is the rare opportunity to travel to far places, and to encounter such enlightened souls as our beloved Swami Ramdas, who so liberally shared his spiritual gems as he travelled the world last year. I am sure Swami Ramdas knows my great joy in being permitted to speak on these occasions at Anandashram. To all of you, may I say that you have given me far more than I have been permitted to give you-more in spiritual memories than I will be able to store up in the next three or four ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...6, Contemplative Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:57- 154K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: August 1957, Your Names are Written in Heaven
- ... Now I can say to you that the prophecy, if such it was, has come true: This is the year of fulfilment for the message of The Infinite Way. Jesus gave the world this Messianic message: There is a transcendental Presence and Power within the consciousness of every individual on earth, and this spiritual Presence and Power he called "the Father within"-your Father and my Father. He taught and proved that this spiritual Presence and Power heals the sick, unstops the ears of the deaf, opens the eyes of the blind, feeds the hungry, raises the dead, and gives spiritual illumination, so that the enlightened live not only by bread, but by an inner meat, an inner wine, an inner water, an inner bread of life which Jesus revealed as the grace of God. In other words, the grace of God, the activity of God's presence and power in us, is our daily bread, our supply, our activity, our wisdom, and our immortality. Throughout his three-year ministry, he proved every single point of this teaching by healing the sick, bringing forgiveness to the sinner, demonstrating supply, and revealing immortality. The disciples and apostles, and later their students, were able to prove the omnipresence of the Spirit of God in man and Its redemptive power; they broke the mesmeric Adam-dream and revealed that "henceforth know we no man after the flesh." In other words, no longer shall we believe in a good human being or a bad human being, but in the understanding of this spiritual Presence, we shall know all men as the Sons of God or offspring of God, the spiritual heirs of God- the Christ. This teaching was lost when men began to observe ceremonies and rites, arguing and disagreeing about the form of worship and eventually dividing into numerous sects, each with its own form of worship, ceremony, and creed. Attention was focused on the form rather than on the Spirit, and the essence was lost. In this past century, it was again revealed to the world that there is a Power always present and available ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Names are Written in Heaven.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:57- 145K
Find Similar Documents
Practicing the Presence: Chapter III, God the Only Power
- CHAPTER III GOD THE ONLY POWER Thus saith the Lord, the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. ISAIAH 44:6 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. DEUTERONOMY 6:5 Throughout all time, scripture has revealed that God is the only power, but who has accepted this literally? Even in the Bible, there are accounts of people fighting, one against another. The teaching of most religionists of the world has been that there are two powers, the power of God and the power of the devil: The power of God is good and blesses; the power of the devil is evil and damns. Always there are these two powers; always God is battling the devil for control of man's soul; and always the question is: Who is going to win? Today it is the same story. Accidents, disasters, and sickness are explained either on the basis of two powers, or by making God responsible for these evils. How can God be held responsible for any evil in the light of the message and mission of the Master, which was the healing of the sick, the raising of the dead, the feeding of the hungry, and the overcoming of every kind of disaster. The Master said, "I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill," so none of these things can possibly be the will of God. In the presence of God, there is no evil. If God tolerates the sin, disease, and death that we are experiencing, what chance have we to survive or overcome them? If God is permitting these evils, or if God is a human parent teaching us a lesson, how can we rise above them and return to the Father's house? From the very beginning of our spiritual study, we have learned that God is the one power, the all-power, and not only the all-power, but the all-good power. Is it then possible for an all-good power to create, permit, tolerate, or send forth evil? In The Infinite Way, we engage in what is called spiritual healing so we must have a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter III, God the Only Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:02- 120K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 4, Immortality Unveiled
- Chapter Four Immortality Unveiled It is not possible to enter into the Christ-consciousness while you are trying to change appearances. Evil becomes less operative in your life, however, as you rise to a place in consciousness where you recognize that God is Spirit, that Spirit alone is power, and that there is no power aside from Spirit-not that there is not a claim of material and mental power in the human world. But you cannot change that until you rise above the material and mental levels into the spiritual, and it is there that you will recognize the illusory nature of all so-called powers. Actually, it is impossible for an illusion to create any real thing. All it can create is a mental image in thought. The world is the temple of God. It is not an illusion even though some Oriental teachings claim it is. The illusion is in our sense of the world. But what has happened to those who have accepted this world as an illusion? "By their fruits ye shall know them."1 Has there been clearly identifiable fruitage? God never created an illusion, and God did create the world which to human sense is seen "through a glass darkly."2 If only it could be seen face to face, this very universe would be the temple of God, as your individual body would be. Your body is the temple of God, but you are seeing it through the universal belief in two powers, and the sooner you come to some measure of realization of one power, the sooner will your body begin to respond. As you learn this principle of the Infinite Way, you will disregard appearances, knowing that you are witnessing these appearances through the illusory sense of the belief in two powers. Impersonal Nature of Error Makes Healing Relatively Easy Infinite Way work is carried on entirely from the standpoint that all evil, regardless of its name or nature, is impersonal and has its source in a universal belief in two powers. It is for this reason that you never take the name of the patient or the disease into your treatment. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 4, Immortality Unveiled.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:14- 121K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 2, The Genesis Of Identity
- II the genesis of identity T HERE ARE TWO levels of consciousness. There is the spiritual, incorporeal level, as described in the first chapter of Genesis. On this level, man created in the image and likeness of God shows forth neither sin, disease, death, lack, limitation, nor any of man's inhumanity to man. Those born into the consciousness of the first chapter of Genesis have neither father nor mother. They are the Melchizedek- consciousness: they are not physical offspring, and they have no human parentage. They are incorporeal. But those born of human parents are born into the level of the second-chapter-of-Genesis creation, the world of mind, the mortal consciousness of good and evil, which constitutes humanhood. It is this humanhood that makes us think that by destroying our enemy or competitor, we can live and prosper, or that by taking away somebody's freedom, we can become greater. A leaven is necessary to break through the crust of self-preservation. This leaven is the Spirit of God in man, which, when It is raised up, lifts man to Its level, and then, instead of "man whose breath is in his nostrils," 1 we now have the Son of God, that "man who has his being in Christ." 2 The Master acknowledged that there are two men: the man of earth-the creature, the mortal, the viper-and the divine Presence within individual consciousness, which, when recognized and released, changes man from the man of earth to the Son of God. We speak of God as the creative principle of this entire universe, including man. But actually, that brings up a picture in your mind of a God that created something at some time, and as long as you hold to that belief, you cannot rightly understand the nature of God, for God has never created any thing at any time. Any such belief puts God in time and space, and with a beginning, and that takes away God's eternality and immortality. I ask you rather, see God as an Infinite Invisible, appearing as this universe, rather than as starting it, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 2.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:07- 101K
Find Similar Documents