The Art of Spiritual Healing: Chapter IX, What About This Body?
- CHAPTER IX WHAT ABOUT THIS BODY? The principles of spiritual healing have been explained in the foregoing chapters, but an explanation does not heal. Even though you have gained some understanding of these principles, in order for them to be made practical and workable, and for you to develop a healing consciousness, they must be removed from the realm of generalities, from a mere intellectual exercise, and brought to bear on specific problems, whether financial, moral, mental, or physical. One problem which is uppermost in the lives of a great many people is that of health, that of an ailing or aging body. Even those who are at the moment experiencing physical well-being are puzzled by the relationship of what they see as a material body to the spiritual scheme of things. What about this body? How does it fit into a spiritual universe? Is this material body the Word made flesh? Is it the material body or only the spiritual body which is resurrected? Does the material body manifest God? Do not be too startled when I say to you that there is only one body: There is not a material body and a spiritual body. There is only one. Here, as in every aspect of life, the principle of oneness applies. True, we entertain a material concept of body, and it is that concept of body which gets all twisted up and involves us in all manner of ills, but the body has no power to cause trouble; the body has no power to be good or bad, sick or well: It is our concept which appears as a sick or well body. When your concept is a material sense of body, you open yourself to all the sins and diseases to which the body may be subject. The moment, however, that you drop that concept and realize that there are not two or three or four kinds of bodies, but that there is only one body, and that body is the temple of the living God, God-governed, God-maintained, and subject only to the laws of God, you bring this very body under God's grace. If you believe that your body is material, you are ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r IX, What About This Body_.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:32- 109K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 6, A Wedding Talk
- ~ 6 ~ A WEDDING TALK * Human marriage itself, as we know it today, is not too successful, but it would be unnatural for it to be successful as it is known today because it is said that in marriage two become one, and that has been interpreted to mean that one or the other loses his identity and individuality; the wife even loses her name. Two becoming one does not mean the separation or the loss of individual identity or individuality, for this is an utter impossibility. An individual remains an individual, not only from birth to death, but actually long before birth until long, long after death. We never lose our individuality; we never lose our uniqueness. It is an impossibility for an individual to give up, to surrender, or to lose that which constitutes his being, and human marriage tries to make either the man or the woman submit himself or herself and surrender that which is most precious in the sight of God: his or her individual expression of God being. Each of us is individual, each of us has individual qualities, each of us has individual talents and gifts, and these are not to be surrendered in marriage. . . . In a spiritual marriage there is not bondage but freedom, but this is not true in human marriage. It is true in spiritual marriage, where both recognize that in marrying they are setting each other free. This is the only thing I have discovered in thirty years of this work that will make possible happy marriages, peaceful marriages, successful marriages: the ability to set the other free that each may live his own individual life, and yet share with each other without demanding. In human marriage a husband has certain rights and a wife has certain rights, but in a spiritual marriage this is not true. Neither husband nor wife has any rights: they have only the privilege of loving; they have only the privilege of sharing. They have the privilege of giving, but they have no right to demand anything of the other. We do not leave human experience while ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 6, A Wedding Talk.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:54- 91K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 8, Tithing
- ~ 8 ~ TITHING SOONER OR LATER, we all have to learn the meaning and importance of tithing because this practice carries us to our highest sense of gratitude, and gratitude is one facet of the vast subject of love. Tithing is usually understood to mean that if ten per cent of our income is given to some charitable or spiritual purpose, we will in some mysterious way have pleased God and so will be rewarded. Personally, I think that this teaching is entirely incorrect. There is no virtue in giving when there is any sense of a future tense connected with it. If our giving, whether in contributions to a charity, a church, or to a teacher, carries with it any thought that we will receive some benefit from it, it is best not to give. Giving should always be from the standpoint of gratitude for that which already is-health, wealth, happiness, and peace. We cannot get health and we cannot get wealth, we cannot get happiness, we cannot get peace. Those things were established from the beginning. They are a part of the divine Consciousness, and they will unfold as our individual consciousness in proportion to our turning within for that unfoldment, and in proportion to our devotion to the spiritual sense of life. It is perhaps true that many of us are not yet at that point of consciousness where we are able to realize our oneness with God sufficiently to receive a spiritual message without mediation. And yet God needs no mediator. Because of our oneness with God, truth can reveal itself in our consciousness without any person talking to us or without our reading a book; but inasmuch as we have not reached that state of communion and conscious oneness, truth interprets itself to human consciousness as a book, a church, or a teacher, until the time comes when our conscious oneness with God enables us to accept truth without any human means. God knows nothing about human teachers or teachings, or human places of worship. If God had made our churches, none of them would ever have ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Is New_ Chapter 8, Tithing.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:44- 89K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: January 26, 1964, Meditation: God Fulfilling God
- MEDITATION: GOD FULFILLING GOD January 26, 1964 YOU NOTICE THAT I have a meditation before I talk, and one thing you can be sure of is that I am not meditating for myself. Meditating almost day and night for some part of every hour, my own needs and the needs of The Infinite Way are well taken care of. Therefore my attitude is usually this: Whether there are just two or three or four of us meditating together, whether I am meditating for this Sunday noon group, for our Sunday morning group, or for any lecture or class, the object of meditation is the realization of the Presence. What I would like you to see is this: Right now there are twenty-four of you sitting here in front of me, and since I do not have the faintest idea of what you may need or desire, the only way in which I can pray for you, meditate for you, is to forget you individually and collectively as people-forget your needs or your desires-and turn in for a realization of the Presence, for the realization of divine grace. As I succeed in attaining that awareness, the presence of God is consciously realized and then every one of you who is receptive to the will of God must find yourself benefitted in some measure. This would probably not be true if you were outlining the form that God's grace should take. If you were expecting God to remove your pains, your sins or your lacks, perhaps you would not receive anything from my meditation. If your desire was also for divine grace and you had completely wiped out of your thought any form of grace that you wanted to receive, you would then be receptive to the Presence that I had realized, and you would receive God's grace in some form. It may not be in the form which you expect, because as a rule we entertain our own opinions or concepts of what constitutes fulfillment. We do not sufficiently believe that the kingdom of God is utterly different from what the Master called "this world," and even when our students pay lip service to the statement "My kingdom is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...itation_ God Fulfilling God.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:13- 69K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Infinite Individual Consciousness
- INFINITE INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS EVERY INDIVIDUAL in the world has within his own consciousness every invention, every art, that was ever known. We are the embodiment of every law in the universe. Through a process that we call learning we seem to be taking in a little metaphysics today, a little music tomorrow, while the truth is they are already a part of our consciousness, and our awareness of them is only unfolding by degrees. There are people who are able to grasp these things without going through the usual process. This is cosmic consciousness. This explains child prodigies. These people are universal Mind without any obstruction. The closer we get to the realization of this universal Consciousness, the more infinitude becomes apparent. Truth is not added to your consciousness - it comes through unfoldment. Our so-called human consciousness is a shutter. At one point, it admits very little light; opened a little more, it admits more light, and as we become more and more spiritually minded, the shutter opens wider and wider, until eventually all humanhood disappears. The full light then shines through. We cannot increase our consciousness, it is infinite already, but we can become aware of its infinite nature. You cannot add to yourself; you cannot even become more spiritual or more wise, but only more aware of the infinity of your own spiritual consciousness, in proportion as you realize that God is the Mind, substance and Spirit of you. We may come to the study of metaphysics or the Bible to gain better health; or we may come to the search for God to increase our wealth or business activity, but in the last analysis that is not what is going to happen to us. True, this increased sense of spiritual good will produce better humanhood, increase our ease in matter, and even prolong our human sense of existence a few years, but this is not the object of our study. The object of our search for Truth is to gain a spiritual sense of existence that we may live ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Individual Consciousness....pdf
Modified: 2017-08-23 12:43:28- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XIX, The Still Small Voice
- CHAPTER XIX THE STILL SMALL VOICE The world has come to a place where it must go beyond power and beyond mind. Is there such a place? Is there a place where physical might and human thought are not power, and where safety, security, and peace are assured? In a moment of futility and frustration, when every reliance has been forsaken, the answer comes as the voice of God utters Itself, a V oice not in the blustering whirlwinds, nor in the awesome rumblings of the volcano, but a V oice so still that only in the Silence can it be heard, and there It thunders. When we hear that V oice, we need not concern ourselves about protection against bombs; we need not concern ourselves with depressions or recessions. One thing alone then concerns us: the ability to be still and let God manifest and express Himself as the still small V oice within us. Today, world conditions make our personal problems seem infinitesimal, but whether we are thinking in terms of individual, national, or international problems, basically there is only one problem-material and mental power as against My Spirit. There is only one enemy-the universal belief that material and mental force can control this world. The enemies confronting us today are not a threatened epidemic of disease, not a devastating condition of weather or climate, not impending economic disaster, nor destructive war: All these are but part and parcel of the belief in material and mental powers. But are material and mental powers, power, or is the still small V oice the only power? The answer is that there is no power in the visible world, and anything that exists in our mind as an objective thing is not power. Let us never fear an image in our mind whether that image is a person, a disease, or even a bomb. That still small V oice in the midst of us is mightier than all of these, and if we can become so silent that that V oice can utter Itself-even if only as a deep breath or a sense of peace or warmth-this earth will be filled with ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... XIX, The Still Small Voice.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:41- 80K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 3, Self-Completeness
- ~ 3 ~ SELF-COMPLETENESS You are Self-complete through God. You are not, and never will be, complete because of any effort you have ever made toward being good or being spiritual. Your completeness is in God. This is in accordance with the teaching of the Master Christ Jesus: "I can of mine own self do nothing. 1 . . . The Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 2 . . . Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God. 3 . . . My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." 4 In other words, all the power of Jesus was really the power of the Christ made evident through Jesus. Remember that, in and of yourself, you are nothing except that God be the reality of your being. Christ is your true identity, and in Christ you are fulfilled in all your completeness. So you can draw on your Christhood for anything to the extent of your realization of this truth. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. John 15:4 Think of a tree with its trunk and its root system deep down in the earth, and then think of the branches on the tree. The tree has a root system which draws into it the food from the earth. It has a distributing system that sends that food up through the trunk out into the branches. There is a catalytic agent that turns the sun and the air and the water into some kind of an essence that feeds the branches and later becomes the fruit. Now for a moment think of yourself as a branch, and realize how you are being fed: through the trunk, or the vine, from the earth. As a human being, you are not partaking of that divine substance: you are a branch cut off from the trunk of the tree. It would appear that each of us is a separate unit, walking around in space, none of us attached to the other, none of us at one with the other, and certainly no sign of any God, feeding, supporting, maintaining, or supplying us: just ourselves, lone branches suspended in space, attached to nothing, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 3, Self-Completeness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:40- 93K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 14, Faith
- ~ 14 ~ FAITH Should you hope? How different from the woman who asked Jesus to heal her daughter and was refused! Through her persistence, she finally received the gift of healing. Let me start by telling you the first thing you must do is to agree to see the problem objectively, that is, as something out there which does not belong to you. We must learn to give up self, whether it comes in the form of self-pity, self- righteousness, or any of the other phases of self. As a matter of fact, any good that you have done in the world was not done by you, really, nor is it to your credit. God manifests his goodness to the world and we are his offspring, so that all credit for all good belongs solely to him. Truth heals. If you have seen it work only a few times, you know that it does. Is any form of error an actual condition? You know that it is nothing but a suggestion or appearance. It is, therefore, mental and can be met with the knowing of the truth about God and man. When you see converging rails, does it mean that here is a physical condition of discord and that the rails must be physically separated again? No, you know that this is an appearance or suggestion and cannot be met physically. It must be met mentally by knowing the truth about the situation. The body is not sick. Matter does not pain. Eyes do not see. These are mental arguments and must be refuted with the truth about God and man or, rather, with the understanding that what appears as man is mind manifested. Therefore, what is this discord or disease but appearance or argument? Error comes to individual thought as suggestion or argument and it is there that it must be met. Remember, error is never in the other person; it comes to your thought or my thought. We either accept it as a reality, or reject it for the lying argument that it is. Do not ask any whys at this point, but accept it as fact, put it into immediate practice without a single question and hold steadfastly without wavering-no question, no ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ly Years_ Chapter 14, Faith.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:45- 78K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: January 20, 1963, The Individual Under God
- THE INDIVIDUAL UNDER GOD January 20, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii LAST WEEK WE SPOKE about the sin of mediocrity. But that can be misconstrued; in fact, the whole subject of individuality can be misconstrued. Everything good has been accomplished through an individual, but so has everything evil been accomplished through an individual. In other words, if we are left to ourselves regardless of talents, they can turn into either good or evil. Even knowledge can be turned into good or bad. In the days of the Black and White Brotherhoods, though their education was the same, the White Brotherhood used knowledge for good, the Black Brotherhood used knowledge for evil. Only when an individual is under God does everything he does serve a purpose of God. No greater issue is before the world today than the individual-the individual under God. Not under God, you have destruction. The cliché that in union there is strength is a fallacy. There was no greater union than England and its empire. Certainly, there was no stronger union than Holland and its colonies. But not being under God, it has been broken. In Russia today the people have as much respect for the individual as we have. Individuals, not the masses, create nuclear power: astronauts, scientists, executives-but individuals not under God. For us there must be a definite knowledge that nothing exists greater than individual capacity and individual integrity, but the individual under God. Only then do we have a government under God and a government working for the common good. An individual can only develop spiritually when he comes to know God aright. When we see a statement like, "I depend not on God nor devil but on my own power," unless it strikes up against a consciousness of truth, that statement can go out and control the world because the world has not understood the non-power of temporal power. Truth always destroys temporal power, but it is the knowing of the truth. Always remember that evil can ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...3, The Individual Under God.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:13- 88K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: March 17, 1963, The Tree of Life
- THE TREE OF LIFE March 17, 1963 Halekulani Hotel YOU MAY HA VE NOTICED that it takes several years after you receive a spiritual idea or principle before it is yours, and before you can demonstrate it. This is normal, this is natural, and it would be folly to expect anything different. It has been so with every one of us. We hear a spiritual principle and we read it. In fact we read it over and over again, and we hear it on tapes or in lectures or classes, and therefore we think that we know it and wonder why we cannot demonstrate it. Remember that this is normal and natural and true of each of us. Even principles that have come through my own lips have really not become mine until several years later. Even though they come through my own consciousness, they did not register at the time in a demonstrable degree. It was years later before I could say, "Whereas I was blind, now I see. Whereas before I could voice it, now it is an incorporated part of me. Now I can live it." One of these principles is one that you heard this morning and one that you will find in most of my writings, and that is the tree of life. Usually I have used this example: Imagine a tree in the middle of this room, and then visualize each one of us attached to that tree as a branch. Then you will notice that we are all being fed from the same source. The sap that comes up through the trunk of the tree, the life that is flowing up through the trunk, this feeds and sustains and nourishes us and each of us draws from the same source. Now the meaning of this is that there is actually an invisible tree in this room. There is actually an invisible thread connecting us to the trunk of that tree. That tree is the spiritual tree of life and each one of us, by an invisible thread or bond is united to this tree of life. We are maintained, sustained, guided, directed, illumined from the same source, the life or sap that flows up through the roots into the trunk and out into each branch. Now, if you were to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 17, 1963, The Tree of Life.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:17- 106K
Find Similar Documents