The Thunder of Silence: Chapter IX, This Is a Spiritual Universe
- CHAPTER IX THIS IS A SPIRITUAL UNIVERSE Several years ago when I was on my way to South Africa, I stopped off for a day in the Belgian Congo, and after the man in charge of the bookings and his assistant had taken care of all my tickets, made whatever examinations were necessary, and weighed my luggage, I called a little native boy to carry my three bags out to the plane which I was boarding for Johannesburg. This was such a small air station that I could see the boy as he walked out of the gate onto the field with one large piece of baggage in each hand and a small piece under his arm. A few minutes later he returned without any baggage and I said to him questioningly, "O.K.?" to which he replied, "O.K." When I arrived in Johannesburg the next morning, there was only the one tiny little piece of baggage waiting for me, and the other two large pieces were missing. Immediately, the personnel of this tremendously big and active airport at Johannesburg began searching for my baggage, but they did not find it in the enclosure nor was it with the crew's baggage; and furthermore when they sent someone to search the plane, there was no baggage there, either. The person in charge of the airline said that he would immediately contact the station in the Belgian Congo and would soon have an answer for me, so there was nothing for me to do but go to my hotel. The Infinite Way students in Johannesburg had arranged for me to visit Krueger National Park, so after buying some necessary clothing, we started out on our three-day trek through this fabulous wild-animal preserve with the full expectation of picking up my baggage when we returned. But upon our return no baggage had as yet been found. The only explanation the airline had to offer was that somebody must have stolen it, and that that somebody must have been the little native boy and a confederate because the last time the bags were seen was when he had picked them up and carried them out onto the field. The absurdity of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...his Is a Spiritual Universe.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:38- 110K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 7, The Last Enemy
- ~ 7 ~ THE LAST ENEMY Everyone is interested in the subject of immortality-immortality here and now, in this body, not merely an immortality to be attained after death. It is in this very body that immortality must be experienced-this very body which we are now using as our instrument. We shall not lose our body, but we will lose our false sense of body and come into the realization of the true nature of body. By losing the sense of disease, accident, and old age, and coming into a higher realization of perfect body, there is no loss of body: There is just the loss of a false sense of body and the realization of the true nature of body. In the same way, experiencing immortality here and now involves no loss of body, but only the loss of a false sense of body. In our daily meditation, let us realize immortality here and now-the immortality of this body and this universe-in order that we may lose the false sense the world entertains of the body and of the universe. "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." 1 That may seem very discouraging to many people. Of this we can be sure, however, whether or not it is the last enemy to be overcome, it will never be overcome until we begin the overcoming, until we begin to do something about it. Just going on from one year to another, aimlessly saying, "Oh, well, death will be the last thing to be overcome," is not going to postpone it. If we want to postpone death and finally overcome it, we must begin now. What is death? Death appears to be a momentary cessation of consciousness. But consciousness cannot be or remain unconscious. In fact, consciousness can never become totally unconscious. What we call death is but an apparent lapse into deep unconsciousness, from which we become conscious again, usually upon the same level as that upon which we fell asleep. Body Expresses the Activity of Consciousness The first step in beginning the overcoming of death is the realization that the body does not have any intelligence ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 7, The Last Enemy.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:34- 104K
Find Similar Documents
Our Spiritual Resources: Chapter Five, Spiritual Attainment Through Prayer
- CHAPTER FIVE SPIRITUAL ATTAINMENT THROUGH PRAYER Spiritual healing can be accomplished in several ways: It may come about through those who possess a healing consciousness, are fully aware of this gift which has been bestowed upon them through the grace of God, and use it to bless mankind; it may be experienced by some person who has no knowledge whatsoever of spiritual things, but who may have unknowingly brought himself within the healing orbit of God's grace; or it may be that a conscious knowing of the correct letter of truth, that is, the principles of truth, eventually leads to the development of that spiritual consciousness necessary for healing. Since most healing is brought about through treatment, that is, through first knowing the correct letter of truth, every metaphysical student, regardless of which approach he chooses or elects to follow, should be able to give an intelligent treatment. This, however, has nothing to do with making affirmations and denials or uttering metaphysical clichés because such procedures are far removed from the giving of intelligent and loving treatments. All metaphysical teachings have as their goal the bringing of spiritual living into the experience of their students, and giving them some understanding of the nature of treatment, so that, through the practice of treatment, spiritual consciousness may be developed. The spiritual consciousness which is so essential to the healing work cannot be achieved through blind faith, however, nor merely by making metaphysical statements, even if, and though, the statements are true. Behind every statement of truth uttered and behind every treatment given, there must be understanding. THE PRINCIPLE OF ONE POWER No one can give a spiritual healing treatment intelligently unless, first, he anchors himself in the realization that since God is all power, there is no power that is required to do anything to anything, for anything, or for anybody, for any reason. We do not even need ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...l Attainment Through Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:59- 110K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 10, Rejecting Appearances and Concepts
- Chapter Ten Rejecting Appearances and Concepts It was not easy for the followers of the Masters to be told, "My kingdom is not of this world." The only world they knew was the world of Roman domination, the world of the synagogue and the temple, the world of the farm and trade. There was no hint in their teaching that there was any other world except the one to be found after death. That there could be another world, another kingdom here and now, was entirely outside the belief of the human being who lived out from the pairs of opposites. Jesus tried in many different ways to let his followers know about this kingdom. When he spoke of a bread and a meat the world knows not, he was speaking of the bread of a different kingdom, an entirely different consciousness. He spoke of living waters and the many mansions in the Father's house. Most of the Hebrews knew nothing about mansions. Most of them were hard workers and yet he told them, "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you."1 Where was that place? What did he mean? They were expecting Jesus to go to Jerusalem and overthrow not only the temple but Rome as well: They were expecting that he would overthrow one temporal kingdom and present them with another temporal government. But when he got there, he did not do any overthrowing. It is not too different today when on the one hand there are people who are trying to overthrow the temporal kingdom of communism, and, on the other hand, the communists are trying to overcome or overthrow the temporal kingdom of capitalism, both of them hoping to replace the form they oppose with some form they consider better. That is about as high as the human mind can reach: a better temporal kingdom or a healthier body. Man's Expansion into Outer Space Broke Limitations It is hard for a human being to go higher in consciousness than to think in terms other than that of a healthy body instead of a sick one, a young ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ng Appearances and Concepts.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:15- 127K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 21, Living in the Light
- ... It is exactly as if this room were filled with God but no one was aware of it, they were in darkness or sin or disease or lack-as if there were no God in this room. Then one individual realizes, "God is. I Am. God is closer to me man breathing, nearer than hands and feet. I and the Father are one . . . and all that the Father hath is mine. The Lord is my shepherd here and now." And one can rest, can be still, and be a transparency-then the presence and power of God can penetrate the consciousness of those who are in darkness. At the beginning of our prayer we do use words and thoughts leading up to that final stage of realization. As we do world work, thinking of those in this world who are influenced by evil, those who are outlets for evil, we realize, "Father, forgive them. They know not what they do." Let us not hold them in condemnation either, but open their consciousness to this light that they may be freed of whatever it is that binds them to personal sense. With that, there is the removal of condemnation because we have declared that it is not sin, it is merely ignorance. It is not darkness, but an absence of light. So in our forgiveness, in our understanding of the impersonal nature of all evil, we are a transparency through which this transcendental presence can function in the consciousness of the world. You never know where it touches or whom it touches. You have no way of knowing how the light, which reaches earth through the transparency of those in prayer, influences legislation, how it changes decisions. You have no idea how far-reaching it is. That is why some who have attained the light do retire from this world in order, as they would phrase it, to live the life of prayer for the world-not for individuals, but for breaking down the duality in human consciousness. By remaining in their caves or remaining in their little homes somewhere alone, they permit themselves, by praying without ceasing, to be a transparency through which the light comes. And ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 21, Living in the Light.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:53- 125K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: The Secret of the Twenty-Third Psalm
- The Secret of the Twenty-Third Psalm MEDITATION ON PRAYER IT IS THROUGH our understanding of prayer that we are able to bring the activity of the Kingdom of God, Harmony, Wholeness, into our individual experience. If prayer, as it is generally understood, were really prayer, the world would be free of sin, disease, death, wars, famine, drought . . . all of these things would have disappeared from the earth in the thousands of years that the subject of prayer has been taught. Scripture tells us that if we pray and do not receive an answer, it is because we have been praying amiss and, if we judge by that, the world has been praying amiss for some thousands of years. The question is whether or not we know any more about prayer now. Our progress in developing a clearer understanding of prayer has been rather slow, and up to the present time it is primarily an advance in the understanding of prayer as it touches upon our individual problems. The great problem of bringing peace on earth . . . good will to men . . . is still not solved. So it becomes our work to devote as much time as possible to the study of the subject of prayer . . . to meditation upon that subject . . . until we come into higher and higher concepts of prayer. We will know whether or not we are doing that by the results in our experience. If we are touching a higher note in prayer, we will have better health, better wealth . . . more of it . . . and a greater degree of harmony in all of our experience. All too often, prayer consists, to too great a degree, of words, statements, quotations . . . whereas prayer, itself, actually is wordless. Prayer has NOTHING to do with anything that we voice . . . whether in the form of a petition, affirmation, denial or any other form of speech or thought. Rather, prayer is that which we become aware of IN THE SILENCE . . . the Word of God uttering Itself within our consciousness. In other words, we do not pray unless prayer can be understood as a STATE of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...t of the Twenty-Third Psalm.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:15- 146K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 9, Making the Adjustment
- ~ 9 ~ MAKING THE ADJUSTMENT NOW I WANT TO EXPLAIN that for tonight at least, I would like you to be very indulgent and very patient while we do a little adjusting. This is the first class I have ever had where we represent such varying states of consciousness. Because of that I want to make a little explanation and then bring together the adjustment of thought. Some here are widely experienced in metaphysical work from the standpoint of the Christian Science viewpoint; some are widely experienced in metaphysical work from the standpoint of other metaphysical approaches; others are almost beginners in metaphysical work and the spiritual approach to life. So, when I talk I am reaching three different thought patterns and expecting all those three to understand the same thing in the same way and it can't be done. For that reason I think this evening should be devoted to bringing about a sort of equalization to see if everybody tonight, after a week of being together, can see what the approach is; then from here on, for everyone to understand the language we use and all that it means. For that reason I would like to start this evening off with questions-questions from you to me and, if necessary, some from me to you. We will see if we can, by means of these questions, answer some of the differences that may exist. One reason for all of this is that I doubt there is any teaching now current that parallels this one. I don't mean by that, that there is any truth we are expressing or voicing that isn't included in all teaching; I don't mean that. I mean that the particular approach, the particular meaning of the truth or use of the truth or the purpose of the teaching is probably different from almost any other teaching in the metaphysical field. To begin with, I will explain this. On the positive side, which is the side of right identification, we are standing wholly on the revelation of Jesus as given in the Gospel according to John. We are not deviating from that in any ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 9, Making the Adjustment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 124K
Find Similar Documents
God Formed Us For His Glory: Chapter 11, Infinite Uncircumscribed Being
- Chapter Eleven Infinite Uncircumscribed Being Most persons, regardless of their religious background, have the idea that God's grace, God's blessing, or the givingness of God is dependent on some thing. Often it has been taught that the receiving of God's benefits is dependent on our obedience to the Ten Commandments or to church rules, regular attendance in church, taking communion, fasting, sacrificing, tithing, being grateful, or having faith. Releasing God An important part of our work is releasing God in the sense of realizing that we do not need God for anything except for God to be God, which God always is. We stop looking to God to do something for us now or in the future, since whatever God does, God has been doing from everlasting to everlasting. God never changes. God never inaugurates something now; He could not heal us now; He could not heal us tomorrow. We come to this awareness through the progressive unfoldment of Infinite Way principles. First, must come the realization that God is not a withholding God; therefore, if God is not a withholding God, God cannot be a giving God, because giving something now would imply having withheld it up to now. In God there is no such thing as giving or withholding: there is only God being God. But God is being God eternally; God has been God eternally. Our function is not to reach out to God as if we wanted something of God, but rather to tune in to God as if we had been disconnected, and as if we are now reconnecting ourselves with God. Then, another step to help us gain this awareness is to see that God is responsible for the rising and the setting of the sun, and that these are not dependent on anything that man does or does not do. God is responsible for the laws of nature, which are constantly in operation, whether or not man does anything to deserve or be worthy of them. What God is, God is, regardless of man. God's rain falls "on the just and the unjust,"1 and there is no such thing as God's blessings being ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...inite Uncircumscribed Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:33- 118K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 1, Opening The Door To Infinity
- ~ 1 ~ OPENING THE DOOR TO INFINITY CIVILIZATIONS HAVE COME AND GONE; civilizations have lived and died; and there is no guarantee that our present civilization will be permanent. At some future time, a new race of men may find parts of these cracker boxes we call buildings and homes, and they may even discover rock-and-roll records that bear witness to our state of civilization. The point is that just as other civilizations have passed from sight, so many more may also pass from sight before the truth that every mystic has revealed is discovered and demonstrated, which is that man has inherent within himself the capacity to surrender such protective measures as self-preservation and to open the door within his consciousness and receive the Spirit of God. There are two levels of consciousness. There is the spiritual, incorporeal level as described in the first chapter of Genesis. On this level, man created in the image and likeness of God shows forth neither sin, disease, death, lack, limitation, nor any of man's inhumanity to man. Those born into the consciousness of the first chapter of Genesis have neither father nor mother. They are the Melchizedek-consciousness: they are not physical offspring, and they have no human parentage. They are incorporeal. But those born of human parents are born into the level of the second-chapter- of-Genesis creation, the world of mind, the mortal consciousness of good and evil, which constitutes humanhood. It is this humanhood that makes us think that by destroying our enemy or competitor we can live and prosper, or that by taking away somebody's freedom we can become greater. A leaven is necessary to break through the crust of self-preservation. This leaven is the Spirit of God in man, which, when It * is raised up, lifts man to Its level; and then, instead of "man, whose breath is in his nostrils," 1 we now have the son of God, that man who has his being in Christ. The Master acknowledged that there are two men: the man of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pening The Door To Infinity.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:43- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Living the Illumined Life: Chapter 5, Putting Off the Old Man and Rebirth
- Chapter Five Putting Off the Old Man and Rebirth The purpose of a work such as the Infinite Way is to die to the "old man," 1 and to be reborn of the Spirit: not partially reborn, but wholly reborn, putting on a whole new consciousness, a whole new mind, that "mind. . . which was also in Christ Jesus." 2 In the practical working out of this, the realization of the fullness of this Christ- consciousness may not be attained in a moment. That is because the Christ- consciousness is not attained through the acquiring of knowledge, not even acquiring a knowledge of truth. A person could know all the truth that has ever been revealed in all the philosophies and all the mystical writings known to man and still not have one single touch of Christ-consciousness. The Vessel Must Be Emptied of Self It is not any degree of human wisdom or any degree of human goodness that we may attain that brings forth the Christ. In fact, it might be far easier for some deep- dyed sinner to attain the Christ than for some very good person. The sinner is often well aware of his unworthiness. In his attitude of being "one of the least of these," 3 and understanding his own inadequacy, he has so emptied himself that he is ready to be filled with the Christ; whereas, as a rule, if a person is living a fairly good human life, he is likely to get the idea, "Hmm! I am good; I deserve to have this blessing. I really have worked hard for it and I deserve it." It does not come that way; it comes by Grace, and that Grace can come only in proportion as a person is emptied so that there is no self left to be good. As long as a person has a trace of a belief that he is good, deserving, or worthy, in that degree he is setting up a barrier for the entrance of the Christ. The Christ does not come while a vessel is already full of self and of a human being's goodness. The Christ comes when a person is so emptied of self that he has renounced not only the evil but also the good and has thus made himself ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Off the Old Man and Rebirth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:53- 123K
Find Similar Documents