Realization of Oneness: Chapter 3, Get Thee Hence Satan
- 3) "Get Thee Hence, Satan" It took a really great mystic to discover the secret of impersonal evil and devise the name "devil" or "Satan" for it. This devil or Satan, as it was first conceived, did not mean an opponent of God; it had no such meaning at all. Instead, it meant something in the nature of a tempter-not a power or a person, but a tempter offering temptation. The evil is never in us; it is the tempter that tempts us into sin, disease, death, lack, and limitation, and this tempter should be recognized at all times as the impersonal source of evil. When the devil stood before Jesus in the wilderness tempting him to turn the stones into bread, Jesus answered, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." 1 Again Satan tempted the Master to cast himself down from the pinnacle of the temple, and Jesus' answer was, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." 2 Once more Satan offered him temptation in the form of worldly glory, and to this, Jesus replied, "Get thee hence, Satan." 3 With this recognition of the devil as the impersonal source of evil, Satan left him. From then on what do we hear about Satan as far as the Master is concerned? He does not appear any more. He seems to have faded out, right there and then. With that "Get thee hence, Satan," Satan is no more. The Master is alone, alone with God, consciously one with God, the victor, with full dominion. But the tempter, the devil, is gone; the temptation is gone. TEMPTATION ALWAYS APPEARS AS A PERSON OR A CONDITION Every need for help for yourself or any call for help that comes from someone else should be recognized as a temptation, a temptation to be rejected. Even if it should be someone close to a hundred years, suffering from old age, remember that the claim of age has to do merely with the calendar. The calendar affects us only if we accept it, keep looking at it every day, and wondering what story it tells, instead of proving how impersonal it can ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 3, Get Thee Hence Satan.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:04- 163K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 5, Judge Not According to the Appearance
- Chapter Five Judge Not According to the Appearance God is the creative principle of the universe. But could there be a God without a universe to which He could be a principle or a law? God is not an unexpressed God. God and Its infinite individuality exist and express simultaneously and instantaneously. I know of no other words to use to bring out the truth that I cannot exist except as I express. Take away expression and what do you have as I? Nothing. Has there ever been a time when there was a principle of mathematics but no 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0? Did the principle of mathematics suddenly decide to appear as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0? Or are the principles of mathematics and its number values simultaneous and instantaneous? Is there a principle of music without do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do or its equivalent in tone? Could there be a principle of music without musical values? If your answer is "Yes," there must have been a principle of music without anything to which it could be a principle. The principle of music is what sustains do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do in their natural values, just as the principle of mathematics sustains to eternity the values of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0. But what would the principle of mathematics or music do without numbers and notes? Consciousness Is Conscious Of There is much misleading teaching today on the point that you and I do not exist, that only God exists. How could that possibly be true? Behind what I am saying is the consciousness that exists as the consciousness of that which exists. Consciousness does not exist as a blank. Consciousness exists conscious of. It could not be consciousness unless it were conscious of. This may sound like an intellectual analysis, but behind it is an intuitive knowledge that there is no awareness without something of which to be aware. Just as mathematics has its numbers and music its notes, so this principle of Life, which is also the principle of mathematics and music, has ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...According to the Appearance.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:14- 121K
Find Similar Documents
The Altitude Of Prayer: Chapter 5, God Is Omnipotent
- ~ 5 ~ GOD IS OMNIPOTENT IF WE EVER HOPE to reach the height of prayer, a further preparatory step must be taken, without which there is no way to receive God or to remove the barrier that has heretofore separated us from the kingdom of God. That step is to know that God is the only power and that there is no more power in mind or thought than there is in matter, and we must know why. We can use the mind for good or we can use the mind for evil-it all depends upon our nature. We can use our thoughts to heal or to malpractice. We can use the power of mind to give a person his freedom or to dominate him and hold him in slavery. Look around the world and see if there are not some persons being held in religious ignorance and superstition. And are not whole nations being held in slavery through the mental power of false ideologies? Does not the advertising world in many cases use the power of mind and thought falsely and ignorantly to catch our unwary dollars? When we begin to see these things, then we can understand that mind and thought with their good and evil are not of God. Because they are not of God, they are not power. Only God, Spirit, is power, and besides Spirit there is no other power. All of us have probably given treatments and watched colds, flu, and dozens of other things dissolve just by knowing that there are no material powers. Now go further and release people from cancer, tuberculosis, and polio by knowing that the son of God is not held in any mental bondage, and that there is no superstition, fear, or ignorance to hold him in slavery. This universe is governed by law; Spirit is the only lawgiver; and the only law with real power is spiritual law. Thank You, Father, that You are Spirit and that Spirit is the only power. There are no powers on earth for You to destroy, for You to overcome, for You to remove. Your law alone is power, and Your law is a spiritual law governing all creation. I am not turning to You to destroy evil: I am turning to You in ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 5, God Is Omnipotent.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:25- 118K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 14, Overcoming Mesmeric Sense
- ~ 14 ~ OVERCOMING MESMERIC SENSE Now I'm going to explain a mystery, and if it shocks some of you don't hesitate to pray about the subject within yourself. Don't go to anyone and ask them to explain it. Certainly don't complain to anybody because I said it; but take it into your own inner sanctuary and ask God for light on this subject. You know there are pilgrimages to Lourdes, and that out of every hundred- thousand people who go there only fifteen are certified as being healed. You know there isn't a day, an hour, that churches, synagogues, and temples aren't open where prayers are uttered for the sick. And you know what would be happening if materia medica weren't right on the job! Haven't you wondered why all of these prayers to God have not healed the sick? Haven't many of you prayed to God for your children or your parents or your wives or husbands, and wondered why you didn't get an answer? Then let it be clear to you now that God knows nothing of disease and therefore has no possible way of healing it. God would first have to know you were sick before God could heal you, and if God knew you were sick and did nothing about it until you prayed, what kind of a God would you have? In other words, humanity experiences a complete separation between God and man "whose breath is in his nostrils." If there weren't such a complete sense of separation between God and humanity, humanity wouldn't be sick, sinning, dying, aging, or decrepit. You can't believe for a moment that if God were on the field such things would be happening in the lives of millions. Do you, any one of you, actually believe that God knew there were seven million Jews being burnt up in ovens? Do you really believe that God knew that? Is there one of you who does not know how sincerely the Hebrew people prayed to their God, how earnest they were in their devotions? But they were burnt up! Do you know that seven hundred thousand Hebrews lived in the city of Amsterdam before the last war and only ten ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., Overcoming Mesmeric Sense.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:51- 124K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 7, The Nature of God
- ... If we hope to achieve the actual experience of God-realization, the very first thing we have to do on the spiritual path is not to accept some ancient concept of God, but to realize that God that has been revealed as love. We must accept the God of love, the God that does not punish, and even if we deserve punishment, the God who would hasten to forgive us. "Your heavenly Father knoweth that you have need of these things, and it is his good pleasure to give them to you." That must include forgiveness. So you see, unless you come to realize that just as God is pouring out the sun, moon, and stars, the tides, the times, and the weather, so God is pouring forth ... Thou makest me to lie down in green pastures. Oh, the mind is so still, so calm, so peaceful in those assurances. The mind is only stirred when it begins to reach up to God to get something, to want something, desire something, or fear something. Stop fearing God. If there are any of you who still fear God, stop it. Stop it. God knows more about love, care, forgiveness, in one second than the best mother that ever lived knew in a whole lifetime. And if mothers can love and forgive and care and be tender, try to imagine what the nature of God is. God is love and nothing enters that consciousness that "defileth or maketh a lie." There is no punishment in it. ... God is love, and in him there is no death, there is no vengeance, there is no hate, there is no punishment. Just think of the crimes men have committed against humanity. Then ask yourself if you really believe God would hold them in eternal damnation or punishment. Not one second longer than it would take them to realize their wrongs and ask forgiveness. Oh, no! No! Understand God as life, a life which can't end for any reason, not even for sin, or for accident, or for disease. Life can't end because God is life, and God is the life of you and the life of me. We fear disease because we fear that it will end in death, and it does because of our fears. We know ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 7, The Nature of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:50- 134K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Get Thee Hence Satan
- "Get Thee Hence, Satan" It took a really great mystic to discover the secret of impersonal evil and devise the name "devil" or "Satan" for it. This devil or Satan, as it was first conceived, did not mean an opponent of God; it had no such meaning at all. Instead, it meant something in the nature of a tempter-not a power or a person, but a tempter offering temptation. The evil is never in us; it is the tempter that tempts us into sin, disease, death, lack, and limitation, and this tempter should be recognized at all times as the impersonal source of evil. When the devil stood before Jesus in the wilderness tempting him to turn the stones into bread, Jesus answered, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." 1 Again Satan tempted the Master to cast himself down from the pinnacle of the temple, and Jesus' answer was, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." 2 Once more Satan offered him temptation in the form of worldly glory, and to this, Jesus replied, "Get thee hence, Satan." 3 With this recognition of the devil as the impersonal source of evil, Satan left him. From then on what do we hear about Satan as far as the Master is concerned? He does not appear any more. He seems to have faded out, right there and then. With that "Get thee hence, Satan," Satan is no more. The Master is alone, alone with God, consciously one with God, the victor, with full dominion. But the tempter, the devil, is gone; the temptation is gone. Temptation Always Appears as a Person or a Condition Every need for help for yourself or any call for help that comes from someone else should be recognized as a temptation, a temptation to be rejected. Even if it should be someone close to a hundred years, suffering from old age, remember that the claim of age has to do merely with the calendar. The calendar affects us only if we accept it, keep looking at it every day, and wondering what story it tells, instead of proving how impersonal it can be ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...eader_ Get Thee Hence Satan.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:18- 144K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: The Basis of Spiritual Healing
- The Basis of Spiritual Healing Spiritual healing is brought about through the realization of the Christ in individual consciousness. God, the individual Consciousness of this universe, is the one and only consciousness. However, since God is the consciousness of me and God is the consciousness of you, and because there is only this one consciousness, truth becomes effective in the consciousness of anyone who tunes in to it. Therefore, any truth that reveals itself within our consciousness instantaneously reveals itself to the person appearing as our patient. Sometimes, people who are not associated with us in any way, either as friends, relatives, students, or patients-someone in a hospital or a prison, someone on a desert island, someone who is reaching out for help to his highest concept of God-may be healed even though they do not know us and we do not know them; or even if they do know us, they may not know that we are on this path, and, therefore, would not know why they were healed. There is only one Life, one Consciousness, one Soul; but that One is the consciousness of you and the consciousness of me. That is why we do not have to try to reach anyone. When we are in this conscious oneness, we become so much a part of one another that what one is thinking about Truth, or God, the other is hearing, but no transference of thought is involved and should not be so construed. We are not one in our humanhood: We are one in the Christ, and all that is being imparted is the divine idea flowing in consciousness. For that reason, those who are aware of the principle of one power need never be concerned about suffering from other people's thoughts. All the suffering on earth, regardless of its form or nature, is a product of the universal belief in two powers; and therefore, universal harmony will only be restored when God is revealed as Omnipotence. There is only one mind and that mind is the instrument of the one Spirit, or God. Human thinking, which is the product of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Basis of Spiritual Healing.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:21- 136K
Find Similar Documents
The Mystical I: Chapter Six, Impersonalizing God
- CHAPTER SIX IMPERSONALIZING GOD If someone were to ask you, "What is this Infinite Way? What is there about it that holds your interest and apparently benefits you?" you would probably have a difficult time answering, because what holds and benefits you and is your Comforter is something you know with your fourth-dimensional Consciousness, and if you should try to impart it to someone still living in the third-dimensional or material state of consciousness, he would never understand what you were attempting to tell him. In trying to explain this you might say, "Oh, I have learned that evil is not power," and then, of course, you would be ridiculed. If you said, "I have discovered God," you would then be asked to explain that, and anyone who has ever been called upon to tell what he has found out about God knows how foolish it would be to try. No one can do that, because whatever it is you may know about God you do not know with your mind. To have any awareness of God means that you have already broken through the area of mind and have been lifted into the higher consciousness. Whatever you may know about God, you know through your spiritual awareness, through your developed spiritual discernment, through the soul-faculties. To try to tell this to a person living out from a materialistic consciousness would be nonsensical, if not impossible. UNIVERSALITY AND AVAILABILITY OF THE MIND THAT WAS IN CHRIST JESUS The Infinite Way begins with the revelation that there is a transcendental consciousness, which in Christian mysticism is called Christ-consciousness and in Buddhism is called the Buddha-mind. In either case, what is meant is that there is a consciousness higher than the human mind. This is not a matter of general knowledge. True, there may be those who accept the idea that Buddha had that spiritual consciousness and that Jesus had the mind that was in Christ, but there are not many who understand that this Christ-mind, or consciousness, is universal to all men, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er Six, Impersonalizing God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:32- 100K
Find Similar Documents
1954 Infinite Way Letters: Chapter 7, The Middle Path
- ~ 7 ~ THE MIDDLE PATH "Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love. (Gal. 5:2-6) For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature." (Gal. 6:15) Under the Hebrew law circumcision was necessary. It was a part of the ritual, and without it you were not a good Jew and would not, probably, get into a good Jewish heaven. But we do not want to be a good Hebrew-we want to be a good Christian, and so we will not be circumcised! The passages quoted above say that circumcision or uncircumcision availeth nothing. Why is this so? Either way you are under the law, and whatever you are doing in order to be obedient to the law cheats you of Divine Grace. It does not matter whether you want to obey a Hebrew or a Christian law, a Muhammadan or a Hindu law: as long as you want to obey a law you are not under Grace. In setting up a loyalty to a man, a teaching, or a church, what becomes of your loyalty to God? In being loyal to God you cannot be false to any man, or to any organization, but in setting up a separate loyalty or obedience to a man-made rule, you break your allegiance to God. This was discovered at the drawing of the Constitution of the United States. This great document simply would not go together until the writers began to pray and to put God into their sessions. In this connection we find a strange thing: obedience to the Constitution of the United States is not obedience to man-made law. The Constitution is a revelation of liberty, justice and freedom, and these are qualities of God. The ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 7, The Middle Path.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:54- 120K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XIII, The Unillumined and the Illumined
- CHAPTER XIII THE UNILLUMINED AND THE ILLUMINED The parenthesis in which we live consists of the degree of mental or material limitation that we come under through the universal belief in two powers. Removing the parenthesis means unseeing the human picture and becoming consciously aware of our spiritual Selfhood. What we are really doing on the spiritual path is trying to wipe out that parenthesis by realizing that we are not living in any form of human limitation: time or space, calendars or climates. The more we attain a living realization of the spiritual nature of our being through meditation, the fainter the parenthesis becomes and the closer we are to becoming one with Infinity and Eternality. The moment we perceive that there is but one Life and that we are living that Life, the parenthesis is being removed, at least being so rubbed out that there are only faint traces of it left. For centuries to come, there may be remnants of that parenthesis in the lives of all of us, but it will not be such a hard and fast parenthesis that it imprisons us in mortality, that is, in a material concept of life. Every meditation that results in an inner response hastens the fading out of the parenthesis. Every experience of depth in meditation makes us less subject to the limitations of the parenthesis, less subject to the calendar, to climate, and to the changing economic conditions of the world. One of the evils of living inside the parenthesis is that we resist change. As long as our particular parenthesis is halfway comfortable, we want to live in it. It does not even have to be a healthy or wealthy parenthesis so long as there is enough for survival and the pain is not too severe. But while human nature resists change, spiritual unfoldment compels change, breaking up the old patterns continuously. In fact, spiritual progress demands that every form be broken, no matter how good it is. No matter how comfortable life may be, Spirit will not let us rest in some degree of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...illumined and the Illumined.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 124K
Find Similar Documents