Realization of Oneness: Chapter 4, No And
- 4) No And! The secret of meeting error lies in knowing its nature. And the nature of error can be summed up in such words as "carnal mind," "suggestion," "appearance," or "hypnotism." The nature of error as hypnotism, or the carnal mind, can be illustrated in this way: If there were a plant in the room where you are now sitting and if someone hypnotized you, he could make you believe that, instead of branches, snakes were growing out of the flowerpot, and you would accept and believe it. Through hypnotic suggestion, the hypnotist has taken temporary control of your mind, and because you are apparently unable to act independently, you follow his suggestion to its logical conclusion. A fear of the snakes is set up in you; you run away from them and may even pick up a knife with which to chop off their heads-all this based on the belief that snakes are actually there. No matter what you might do to those nonexistent snakes, you still could not change the fact that as long as you remain hypnotized you will see snakes. There is no possible way for you to be rid of those snakes except to become dehypnotized; there is no way to get rid of your fear of snakes except to become dehypnotized; there is no way to put up your sword except to become dehypnotized. In other words, as long as the hypnosis lasts, all the component parts of the picture are there, are they not? Now just as it is possible to hypnotize you into believing that there are snakes in the room, so is it possible to hypnotize you into believing that there is a selfhood other than God in any place where you happen to be. As soon as you have been hypnotized into believing in a selfhood apart from God, you then logically accept all the beliefs regarding this selfhood: birth, growth, maturity, and ultimately death. There is only one way to be rid of the human picture, and that is to understand that there is no person and there is no selfhood other than God in the room or in any other place. But the hypnotized person ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Oneness_ Chapter 4, No And.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:04- 151K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: No And
- No And! The secret of meeting error lies in knowing its nature. And the nature of error can be summed up in such words as "carnal mind," "suggestion," "appearance," or "hypnotism." The nature of error as hypnotism, or the carnal mind, can be illustrated in this way: If there were a plant in the room where you are now sitting and if someone hypnotized you, he could make you believe that, instead of branches, snakes were growing out of the flowerpot, and you would accept and believe it. Through hypnotic suggestion, the hypnotist has taken temporary control of your mind, and because you are apparently unable to act independently, you follow his suggestion to its logical conclusion. A fear of the snakes is set up in you; you run away from them and may even pick up a knife with which to chop off their heads-all this based on the belief that snakes are actually there. No matter what you might do to those nonexistent snakes, you still could not change the fact that as long as you remain hypnotized you will see snakes. There is no possible way for you to be rid of those snakes except to become dehypnotized; there is no way to get rid of your fear of snakes except to become dehypnotized; there is no way to put up your sword except to become dehypnotized. In other words, as long as the hypnosis lasts, all the component parts of the picture are there, are they not? Now just as it is possible to hypnotize you into believing that there are snakes in the room, so is it possible to hypnotize you into believing that there is a selfhood other than God in any place where you happen to be. As soon as you have been hypnotized into believing in a selfhood apart from God, you then logically accept all the beliefs regarding this selfhood: birth, growth, maturity, and ultimately death. There is only one way to be rid of the human picture, and that is to understand that there is no person and there is no selfhood other than God in the room or in any other place. But the hypnotized person ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...el Goldsmith Reader_ No And.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:20- 133K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 19, The Infinite Invisible
- ~ 19 ~ THE INFINITE INVISIBLE Meditation is our preparation for the inflow of the Spirit. It is the period during which we realize our oneness with the Infinite. That realization gives us the very presence of Spirit, Itself, with which to face the day. We have been inclined to believe that since God is omnipresent, always and everywhere present, that that is all there is to spiritual living and to the assurance of God's being at hand. But any such assumption is contradicted by a study of the history of the world. The omnipresence of God is of no avail to any one except in proportion to his conscious oneness with it, his conscious attunement, his conscious feeling and realization of it. Without that we go out on the street as human beings: we may reach our destination or we may not; we may catch cold or we may not; we may get sick or we may not. All these things are happening to people all over the world; but they are happening to people because they are going out into the world without making a conscious contact with the infinite Source, with the infinite Power. The promise is: "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High" 1 - dwelleth, dwelleth, dwelleth in the secret place of the most High. He who dwells there, he who lives and moves and has his being in Spirit, is protected from the so-called evils of the world. "Pray without ceasing." 2 Go into the inner sanctuary and there find your communion or oneness with God. A study of scripture on the subject of prayer will show you how important prayer is; and then a study of modern metaphysical writings will show you the nature of prayer. I suppose we know more about prayer in this age than did most of those who were responsible for writing the Bible; at least, we know more about how to reveal the nature of prayer. Many of them may have known about true prayer within their own being, but their concept of prayer, praying to God for something, has not done the world much good. The modern idea of prayer, which is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 19, The Infinite Invisible.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:30- 129K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 9, The Christ
- ... When once we acknowledge God to be the reality of being, we have done away with the need for observing rituals, ceremonies, or creeds, or for celebrating holy days. All we have to do is to learn to live in the consciousness of our present perfection. Let us live in the constant realization of our true identity. After we have done that, there is only one other step, and that is to realize that the errors of the world, all of those things that the world is fighting, are not errors at all; they are illusions. And then, let us learn not to fight them, not to try to subdue or overcome them, or even try to get rid of them. Let us learn to live in a beautiful state of peace, the peace that comes from the understanding of God as the only reality of being. Effects of the Christ The Christ is always a gentle influence. From the moment It appears in our lives, we lose the ability to be very angry or very selfish. The Christ is made manifest in a gentleness of attitude toward those with whom we come in contact. The Christ is the greatest sense of forgiveness the world has yet known. That is the reason Jesus places so much stress on forgiving our enemies, praying for our enemies, forgiving and praying for those who despitefully use us, forgiving seventy times seven, forgiving every day those who seek it. The Christ, once It is received, cannot bear ill will, or hold enmity or antagonism even toward those who hate It. Do you remember Jesus' response to human hate: " 'Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.' 5 No one can destroy or hurt me, since I am life eternal. This is an opportunity to prove that anyone or anything calling himself or itself a hater of truth, a hater of love, is not a power. It is a balloon, ready for a pin to be stuck into it. So put up your sword. I will prove that they can do nothing. Those that live by the sword shall perish by the sword. Those who believe that error is so real that they must go ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ding_ Chapter 9, The Christ.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:30- 150K
Find Similar Documents
Living by the Word: Chapter 12, The Message of the Bible
- Chapter Twelve The Message of the Bible The state of consciousness you are, the elevation of consciousness you attain, this determines what manner of life you lead. It determines whether you live the life of a grub-worm, of a slave, or a free man, or the life of a spiritual entity. It all depends upon what your state of consciousness is. In one state of consciousness, you could very well have been a slave and had everybody ordering you about. But as, through Grace, a higher realization came, you asserted your dominion and became a free man-still human, but free. As greater light came and your consciousness changed, you realized, "I am not merely a free man. I am a spiritual man. I have God-given strength, God-given dominion, and God-given freedom." Eventually you will reach the place in consciousness where Jesus was when he said, "He that seeth me seeth him that sent me." 1 Jesus had not always been at that stage. At one time he was at the state of other Hebrew rabbis in the temple, but he grew until he came to the passage where he read from the book of Isaiah and said, "The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised. . . . This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears." 2 With that, he realized, "Why, no, I'm not going to stand on a platform just reading out of a book." So he stepped down from that platform and went out into the world, not as a temple rabbi but as a world rabbi. Later, all that passed from him, and he was no longer a rabbi: he was a Master. So it is that one day you are addressed as housewife or businessman, then one day as a practitioner, and later as teacher. If you keep ascending in consciousness, one day you will be addressed as Master. It all depends on your state of consciousness. If you have advanced to this point, you are already ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...2, The Message of the Bible.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:49- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 1, Governed By God Or Goverened By Man
- I governed by god or governed by man? E VERY FOUR YEARS, as attention in the United States is focused upon the selection of the President and Vice President of the United States, Infinite Way students are reminded of how important it is to realize that "the government is on His shoulders." 1 The "ten righteous men," 2 those who know this truth, can play a significant role in bringing to pass God's government on earth as it is in heaven. An election is an opportunity for citizens to exercise the franchise and vote for the candidates of their choice. To vote intelligently and fulfill his responsibility as a citizen, every voter should be thoroughly familiar with the issues and know how each candidate stands on these issues, not only in terms of what he says but in terms of his record. It is the responsibility of an informed citizenry, and Infinite Way students should fall into that category. Over and above that, and even more important, is the meditation or spiritual work in which each student engages to the end, that citizens are not swayed by the carnal mind and the highly charged emotional promotional activities characteristic of a typical presidential campaign. Each student should realize that the universal human mind, with its lust for power, greed, and self-seeking, is not power in the realized presence of God; that this election, as an activity for the preservation of freedom, is taking place within the one Consciousness, which is Intelligence and Love, and that only I votes. That I is the divine Consciousness, individualized. It is guided by a wisdom beyond human understanding and is, therefore, unerring in Its judgment. The Foundation of Freedom No one can guarantee you, as American citizens, freedom, except yourselves. And if you study the issues of your political life to such an extent and with such a clarity of thought that you can go to the polls and vote intelligently, that freedom will continue. And if not, be assured of this: If you allow the mesmerism ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 1.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:07- 81K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: January 1958, Spiritual Unfoldment Through The Study of The Infinite Way
- CHAPTER ONE: JANUARY Spiritual Unfoldment Through the Study of the Infinite Way UNLESS spiritual teaching uses the letter of truth as a foundation upon which to build, it frequently results in a blind faith in some kind of a power outside of ourselves, a power that we expect and hope will do something for us. An understanding of spiritual principles is gained, first, by learning the letter of truth and, then, by applying it to the everyday problems of human existence-to our human relationships and to our headaches, corns, bunions, and simple colds. Eventually, we shall learn to apply these principles to the major problems of individual existence and finally come to the realization that these principles, if accepted, would operate in national and international affairs. Merely as statements, truth is of no avail, but as we live with the letter of truth and continually abide in it, one day there comes a transitional experience. The mind is no longer repeating words, but words are coming to our awareness from within. The Bible, the writings of The Infinite Way, the tape recordings, the tape recording meetings, and the class work, if properly utilized, serve a twofold purpose. First, these implant the letter of truth in the mind and then they become the instruments by which truth becomes conscious awareness, a feeling in the heart. In the early stages of the development of spiritual consciousness, you fill yourself with truth by reading, by listening to recordings and attending tape recording meetings, by individual study with a teacher who had gone a step beyond you, and by attendance at classes. The more inspirational literature you read, the more classes you attend, and the more recordings you hear, the more does your thought become spiritualized, and the clearer transparency for truth do you become. Regardless of what path you may be following, you will find that there are certain disciplines to be observed : there is work to be done; there are periods when it is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...e Study of The Infinite Way.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:01- 154K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: November 1958, THE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT
- CHAPTER ELEVEN: NOVEMBER The Fruits of the Spirit SETTING aside a special day or days to give thanks for blessings received is not a practice limited to the United States alone. Many years before the Pilgrims came to this country, old England celebrated the gathering in of the harvest in the fall of the year. Even the ancients practiced this rite. As long as there has been recorded history, it has been the custom to observe a festival of thanksgiving in gratitude for the harvest which has been reaped. While students of spiritual wisdom do not confine the giving of thanks to a single day of the year, but let every day be a day of thanksgiving; nevertheless, it is not inappropriate at this season to consider the kind of harvest you, as a student of the spiritual way of life, are garnering into your spiritual storehouse. This will not be measured in terms of outward good, although that may well be one evidence of spiritual fruitage. If your harvest has been scant, engage in a little soul-searching introspection to see wherein you have failed; if abundant, rejoice in the greater awareness of the Presence which has made this possible. Always evaluate your progress in terms of spiritual fruitage: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22, 23 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit . . . Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit . . . John 15:4, 5, 8 There is no way to taste of the fruit of the Spirit except through the word of God, the word of God which in the midst of you is mighty. If you abide in the Word and let the Word abide in you, you will bear fruit richly. But the word of God is not something that you can read in a book; the word ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...8, THE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:10- 138K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XXXI, There Remaineth a Rest
- CHAPTER XXXI "THERE REMAINETH A REST" Of old it was taught that there should be one day of Sabbath each week, a day devoted to worshiping God and living in His word. In order to be immersed in the Spirit, this Sabbath was to be kept entirely free of all worldly cares and worries. The mystical meaning of Sabbath is a resting from power. All through the year and throughout our entire life, we resort to material and mental forces and powers, and the period in which we rest from the use of these forces, thereby experiencing the spiritual Presence, is in reality the only Sabbath there is. Ideally, there should be at least one entire day in the week set aside for such rest, but because of family duties and professional responsibilities that is often well-nigh impossible. Everyone can have a Sabbath during the day or night, however, even if it is only in ten-, fifteen-, or twenty-minute periods. Then, when an occasional day comes along completely free, there is the opportunity of living with the Bible and other spiritual writings, living in meditation, and thus experiencing a full and complete day of spiritual refreshment. A Sabbath is only truly a Sabbath if we do not permit the human world to come into that period. We must have one purpose alone: to seek the realization of His presence, His power, and His grace. When we emerge from these periods, usually we find that the "things" are added unto us: whatever knowledge we need to carry on our business, whatever physical strength or moral support. In The Infinite Way no provision is made for specific Sabbath periods such as any one day of the week or any one hour of the day, nor for rest homes, churches, monasteries, or retreats. In the light of spiritual revelation the Sabbath is not so much a specific day of the week as it is a specific state of consciousness. Any day of the week-Saturday, Sunday, Monday-any day can be a Sabbath. This very hour can be our spiritual Sabbath, and again tomorrow morning at six o'clock, if we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...XXI, There Remaineth a Rest.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:06- 109K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 10, The Mission of the Messiah
- ~ 10 ~ THE MISSION OF THE MESSIAH For centuries, the Hebrews had watched eagerly for the coming of the promised Messiah. They were, of course, practically slaves of Caesar and were not too happy even with their church administration which was holding them under too tight a bond, so they had been scanning the skies for years for this new Messiah. They thought that with his coming they would be free of many of the tithes required of them by the church and of the taxes they were paying to Caesar, because the financial drain on them had grown to be a serious problem. So naturally their expectancy was that, when the Messiah came, he would certainly dethrone Caesar and give them the Holy Land in which to live as a free people. Political freedom probably was uppermost in their minds, because then Palestine would become a political entity, free of the domination of Rome, and they would be a free people economically, politically, and nationally. There is every indication that that is what they were expecting of their Messiah, but when Jesus came he did not give them the material freedom which they sought. In answer to all the requests and demands as to when this long awaited freedom would be given them, he answered, "My kingdom is not of this world." 1 To free the Hebrews politically, economically, or nationally was not his mission, and that is perhaps the reason they rejected him. If Jesus had offered to lead an army against Caesar, they would probably have accepted him as their Messiah and their king. But that was impossible because that was not the nature of his mission. His ministry was a spiritual one, and what he was offering them was spiritual freedom, freedom from every kind of materiality. If the Hebrews had been able to accept this, it would have freed them from Caesar and from all the other bonds, because when people are spiritually free, they are physically and mentally free; but their vision did not go that far. They could not accept a Messiah with that kind of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... The Mission of the Messiah.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:18- 121K
Find Similar Documents