Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Prayer
- Prayer YE ASK, and receive not, because ye ask amiss," says the Apostle James. Have you ever thought of this when you have prayed for some time, and then found no answer to your prayer? "Ye ask amiss." There is the reason. Prayer, when based on the belief that there is a need unfilled, a desire unsatisfied, is never in accord with true scientific prayer. A prayer for God to do something, send something, provide or heal, is equally without power. It is sometimes believed that God requires a channel through which to fulfill our prayer; and this leads us to look outside ourselves for the answer. We may believe that supply can come to us, and therefore we watch for the person or position through which it is to come. We may be depending on a healer or teacher as the channel through which the healing is to come. "Ye ask amiss." Any belief that that which we are seeking is anywhere but within us, within our very own consciousness, is the barrier separating us in belief from our harmony. True prayer is never addressed to a Being outside ourselves, nor does true prayer expect anything from outside our own being. "The kingdom of God is within you," and all good must be sought there. Recognizing God to be the reality of our being, we know that all good is inherent in that Being, your being and mine. God is the substance of our being and therefore we are eternal and harmonious. God is Life, and this Life is self-sustained. He is our Soul, and we are pure and immortal. God is the Mind of the individual and this constitutes the intelligence of our being. Rightly speaking, there is not God and you, but God is ever manifest as you and this is the oneness which assures you of infinite good. God is the Life, Mind, Body and Substance of individual being, therefore nothing can be added to any individual, and true prayer is the constant recognition of this truth. Conscious awareness of our true being-of the infinite nature and character of our only being-this, too, is prayer. In this ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s of Joel Goldsmith_ Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:14- 94K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: June 9, 1963, Christ: The Unfoldment from Within
- CHRIST: THE UNFOLDMENT FROM WITHIN June 9, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel LAST WEEK WE WERE LED to the unfoldment that there are two realms or worlds, "this world" and "my kingdom," and that, "my kingdom is not of this world." 1 Also, because of these months of our work together, we must now be having the experience of truth, rather than just lectures or classes about truth. In other words we want our work to be in the nature of an experience, not a philosophy. Unless we can experience my kingdom, we are just living in the language of words, thoughts, teachings, and philosophies. In order to know the actual experience, you must begin by realizing that everything that exists in the external world had its beginning in the invisible-not just an invisible-but a very specific invisible consciousness. The consciousness of man, which basically is the consciousness of God manifested as the consciousness of man, is the invisible which is the substance and law of everything external. We know that the Chinese gave us the wheel, and a wheel is the most important part of a civilized existence. Now go back to China in your mind, and try to realize the world without a wheel. Then ask yourself, "Where does a wheel come from?" From this you will have to see that it had its origin in the mind of man, but behind that mind of man is the God- mind functioning as man's mind. So man turns within to his consciousness and he receives an impartation-an impartation from the infinite to the individual. And once man has the idea of a wheel in consciousness, how easy it is then to go out and make that wheel in the visible. Follow this principle all the way up from the wheel to the airplane, to color television, to radar, and see that everything had to be imparted to man from something greater than his education or physical strength. First he had to receive all these things in consciousness; he then took the next step of externalizing them. We have said in our work that there never will be peace on ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... The Unfoldment from Within.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:15- 104K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: March 17, 1963, The Tree of Life
- THE TREE OF LIFE March 17, 1963 Halekulani Hotel YOU MAY HA VE NOTICED that it takes several years after you receive a spiritual idea or principle before it is yours, and before you can demonstrate it. This is normal, this is natural, and it would be folly to expect anything different. It has been so with every one of us. We hear a spiritual principle and we read it. In fact we read it over and over again, and we hear it on tapes or in lectures or classes, and therefore we think that we know it and wonder why we cannot demonstrate it. Remember that this is normal and natural and true of each of us. Even principles that have come through my own lips have really not become mine until several years later. Even though they come through my own consciousness, they did not register at the time in a demonstrable degree. It was years later before I could say, "Whereas I was blind, now I see. Whereas before I could voice it, now it is an incorporated part of me. Now I can live it." One of these principles is one that you heard this morning and one that you will find in most of my writings, and that is the tree of life. Usually I have used this example: Imagine a tree in the middle of this room, and then visualize each one of us attached to that tree as a branch. Then you will notice that we are all being fed from the same source. The sap that comes up through the trunk of the tree, the life that is flowing up through the trunk, this feeds and sustains and nourishes us and each of us draws from the same source. Now the meaning of this is that there is actually an invisible tree in this room. There is actually an invisible thread connecting us to the trunk of that tree. That tree is the spiritual tree of life and each one of us, by an invisible thread or bond is united to this tree of life. We are maintained, sustained, guided, directed, illumined from the same source, the life or sap that flows up through the roots into the trunk and out into each branch. Now, if you were to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 17, 1963, The Tree of Life.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:17- 106K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 2, Building The New Consciousness
- ~ 2 ~ BUILDING THE NEW CONSCIOUSNESS Many aspirants on the spiritual path experience inner unfoldment or revelation when they begin to gain some understanding of what meditation is. Meditation is our method of building a consciousness of truth, a new consciousness. Meditation is our mode of prayer. First, however, it must be understood that prayer is not what we say to God, but rather what God says to us. Because of the noise of the world, we do not hear the still small voice or receive the benefit of the presence, and therefore, we must learn to be silent and receptive. Learning to Meditate* The purpose of meditation is to gain a conscious awareness of the presence of God-such a conscious awareness of our oneness with God that we may come into an actual realization of the truth of being. Although successful meditation requires silence and receptivity, never try to still the human mind; never try to stop thinking or attempt to blank out your thoughts. It cannot be done. When you begin to meditate and thoughts of an unruly nature come, let them come; do not be disturbed by them. They are world-thoughts, not yours. Take the attitude of sitting back and watching them. See them impersonally. Soon they will no longer disturb you, and you will be able to sit down and be at peace. There are many schools of thought as to the proper method of approaching meditation, and for the beginner there probably should be some procedure or method outlined. If it is remembered that in meditation our whole attention is to be focused upon God and the things of God, it will readily be seen that in sitting down to meditate, it is wise for the body to be in a comfortable position so that the attention is not unconsciously drawn to the body. Always remember, though, that the posture assumed is not important, nor the method used. Any procedure adopted is only for the purpose of making it easier to hold the attention on God and to become consciously receptive to the infinite power of your own ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...lding The New Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:33- 106K
Find Similar Documents
Living the Illumined Life: Chapter 8, The Fourth Dimension
- ... As a matter of fact, some of the greatest spiritual lights of the world were not among the best of human beings when they began. Sometimes being a very good human being is a barrier to being a spiritual light, because it takes a great deal of humility to attain spiritual realization. The first step in that humility is when the recognition comes that man can be neither good nor evil. That is a very difficult thing for good human beings to accept. They love to dwell on their own goodness and to feel that it is a virtue for which they are entitled to great credit. Furthermore, good human beings are very prone to criticize, judge, or condemn the sinner, or the one who is somewhat less perfect than themselves. Right there they create a block through which the spirit of God cannot penetrate. It is true that God's rain falls on the just and the unjust. It is true that the Master held no one in condemnation. To him there was no waiting for punishment, no waiting to be purged, no waiting for forgiveness. It takes a great deal of humility for a good person to recognize that he is not good but that whatever goodness is manifested in him is really the spirit of God trying to find outlet. If that were more clearly understood, we could then more rightfully enjoy goodness by realizing, "This is not my goodness. This is the goodness of God finding an outlet through me. It is not that I am generous, but that God's gift is being sent out into circulation through me." With such an attitude, we understand more readily the person who for any reason or in any way has fallen from Grace or is away from the path of Grace, because it is only the belief that that individual of himself can be good or bad, and at this particular moment being bad seems the most satisfactory way or the most profitable one. The Remnant, Those Who Attain Conscious Union Those who are seriously directed to the spiritual path should understand that their work at this moment is not to concern themselves with trying to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 8, The Fourth Dimension.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:53- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 9, Seek the Substance, Not the Form
- Chapter Nine Seek the Substance, Not the Form The world seeks to find peace, joy, satisfaction, supply, home, or companionship in people and things. But the Master said, "My kingdom is not of this world." 1 So the purpose of our work is to turn away from the way of the world to the spiritual way. In turning to the spiritual path, we learn that the world's weapons, its manner of protecting itself and its way of seeking its good, will not do for us. "The kingdom of God is within you." 2 If we think of that literally, it immediately becomes clear why there is no use going outside ourselves to find our good, that is, not if the kingdom of God is within us. The place to seek our good must necessarily be within. The spiritual revelators of all time agree on this truth, and they have been able to teach their immediate disciples or students how to make contact with that withinness and, because of making this inner contact, they have been able to lead a life without struggle or strain, a life of harmony and peace. The disciples of these spiritual revelators seem to have had difficulty in passing that principle on to those of the next generation, and those who followed experienced much the same difficulty, so that a spiritual teaching has thrived principally during the immediate lifetime of its revelator and to a lesser degree in the following generation or two. In the case of the Master, his ministry lasted for about 300 years before it died out and all but vanished from the earth, probably longer than any of those of which we have knowledge. The Spread of Spiritual Teaching and Healing Since that time there have been individual mystics who have caught the vision of withinness and have had the usual experience of some measure of success with their immediate disciples and for a short while afterwards. From the 12 th to the 17 th century, reaching all the way from Switzerland to England, there were mystics with large followings who had attained the spiritual vision. But ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...the Substance, Not the Form.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:13- 128K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 12, The Transition to Christhood
- ... But it cannot be ruled out of your consciousness while you are living on the human plane, which is under the law. It can be ruled out of your consciousness only if you will accept yourself as the Christ, or as a disciple or apostle of the Christ, and realize that you have moved from the human state of consciousness to the spiritual. You are now at that place where your life is a life of forgiveness, a benediction, a blessing, and no evil can come nigh you because you are not seeking anything. You are not even seeking good. As long as you are not seeking, you are not going to receive. You will always be. This is your real nature: being! I and the Father are one in being and in essence. I and the Father are ... To pray for the world means to look out as if seeing this globe of the universe in front of you, and feel your hands or your love going out around that globe with "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do. I pray that your sins be forgiven you. I pray that the Christ dwell in your heart. I pray that no penalties ever be inflicted upon you for the past. I pray that you know spiritual freedom, spiritual justice, spiritual life, and spiritual law." Hold that globe in a whole armful of love, understanding, and forgiveness, and allow no thought of victory to enter your mind: no victory over man, no victory over ideologies, no victory over nations-not victories, but peace. There never can be peace when there are victories, because with every victory there is a loss, and the loser must always think about the next possibility of gain. Never think of victories: think of peace. "My peace I give unto you."17 Keep that globe in your arms: "'My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you,'17 My peace, spiritual peace, the peace that brings with it forgiveness and comfort. My comfort give I unto you; spiritual comfort." Remember that you have moved. You are not sitting at the feet of the Master; you are sitting beside the Master, and you now ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he Transition to Christhood.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:16- 122K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Meditation: Chapter VIII, Ye Are the Temple
- CHAPTER VIII YE ARE THE TEMPLE Know ye not that ye are the temple of God . . . that your body is the temple . . . of the living God." I CORINTHIANS 16:19 The body is the temple of the living God, a temple not made with hands, not mortally conceived, but eternal in the heavens; that is, eternal in time and space; eternal in life; eternal in spirit, in soul, and in substance. God made all that was made, and all that God made was made of God, partaking of the very nature of God which is eternality, immortality, and perfection. God made the body in Its own image and likeness. God is life. An activity of God, operating in a seed, brings forth a child with all the potentialities of adulthood embodied in one tiny little form-not merely a piece of matter, but an intelligence and a soul accompanying that body. The Spirit of God does this, but, in his vanity, man has arrogated to himself the role of a creator. Men and women have assumed that because they were fathers and mothers they were originators, instead of knowing that they are the instruments through which God acts to express Himself-not to perpetuate you or me, or my children or your children. God operates as love in our consciousness to produce His own image and likeness. This expression of God we have called your child and mine, forgetting that this is God's child, and not a personal creation or a personal possession. We pray to God to maintain and sustain our children; but they are not our children: they are God's children. It is not necessary to pray that God maintain and sustain His own children. It is God's prerogative to create, maintain, and sustain Its own image and likeness. God is the creator of all that is. God, then, is the creator of man's body. "Know ye not that your body is the temple of the living God?" We call this body your body and my body, but it is not ours. It is God's body, formed by Him for His pleasure, made in His image and likeness, governed by His law, and created to show forth His glory. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter VIII, Ye Are the Temple.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:29- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Living: Chapter 8, The Fruitage of Knowing God Aright
- ... Instead of trying to gain business at the expense of a competitor, there would be better business for everyone if competitors could agree to put their heads together in the attitude, "How can we give better service and increase the amount of business in this neighborhood?" Do not believe for a minute that God prospers one person's business at somebody else's expense. It is easy to bring business under the jurisdiction of spiritual activity. Business is not separate and apart from one's spiritual experience. Business is as spiritual as any form of living, just as spiritual as going to church or as engaging in prayer. Not all forms of business would fit into that category, but business, as I understand it, is really a part of spiritual living. Forgiveness as the Foundation for a Life Work In the very first year of the great depression of the 1930's, a man who had made a fortune in the building business lost his entire business and fortune. His wife had to go to work, and he took what ... All of a sudden the meaning of those words dawned on me as I realized that the people in the church were reading those words backwards. The divine love that meets every need is not out here. It is inside. Therefore, it is the divine love you express that meets your need. There is no God out here meeting your need. God is within you, but as long as you are not expressing that divine love, it is unexpressed, and as long as it is unexpressed, it cannot meet your human need. What constitutes divine love? Forgiveness, charity, benevolence, kindness, cooperativeness, sharing: all these constitute divine love. If you are not expressing divine love, it is not going to return to you or meet your need. It was that awareness that brought a change in my way of life, because I saw how foolish it is to sit around waiting for God to do something. Are You an Instrument for God's Love? God is forever being God, so there is no use waiting for God to do something tomorrow. God is already doing it. The ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...itage of Knowing God Aright.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:36- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 22, Home
- Having no qualities underived from Deity, you have no traits, characteristics, faults, or habits to overcome, destroy, or change. Indeed, you are now the all-inclusive activity of mind, life, love. This is true of you and of all men. It must be equally evident to you that a collection of boards and bricks, even when formed into a structure called a house, does not make a home. That which makes a home are the qualities of life which we carry into it. Atmosphere makes a home, and atmosphere is created by our thoughts, our consciousness. A joyous home is one expressing the joyous thought and activity of those within its walls. To build the right sense of home, to secure a right home, to demonstrate home, is to begin within yourself. Ask yourself some questions: "What qualities must I express that will turn a house into a home?" "What qualities constitute the ideal home?" Soon you will realize that cheerfulness, joyousness, cleanliness, orderliness, brightness, hope, consideration of others, forgiveness, co-operation, beauty, grace, love, etc., these qualities expressed by individuals constitute and form that which makes a home. As you express these in your daily thoughts and acts, you are building within yourself home, and this will externalize itself in what we call our home. Whatever you wish to externalize or experience, must first be built within consciousness, then "consciousness constructs a better body"-a better home. Regarding civic duties, as students of truth we should be interested in city, state, and country, as well as international affairs. We should strive for betterment in every department of human existence, but I do not think (from our standpoint) that we are justified in directly engaging in crusades. Our spiritual and financial support, plus the moral help we give by attendance at meetings, is as far as it seems wise to go. We should keep our interests free from anything that impedes our spiritual growth. A period should be reserved each day to work ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...rly Years_ Chapter 22, Home.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:46- 87K
Find Similar Documents