Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 2, Before Abraham
- CHAPTER 2 "Before Abraham" IMPERSONALIZE GOD and what do you have? You have divine Being, universally expressing Itself, universally manifesting Itself; before Abraham was, and unto the end of the world. This is what you get when you impersonalize God: you get infinite, divine Being, from the so-called beginning to the so-called ending. You also discover that there was no beginning, as there will be no ending, for life is a circle. It never began. It never ends. It Is! Before Abraham, It Is; unto the end of the world, It Is. It Is I AM! I AM! Before Abraham was, I Am! As one mystic said, "Before God was, I am"; and this is Truth. Before there was such a thing as a God concept in anyone's mind, I am. Someone else has said, "If there were not a God, man would have to make one." Do you not see that this only promotes that we might live forever in darkness, that we have to make up a God, that we have to form a concept of God, that we have to have some image or idea, in our mind, of God? God is invisible, indescribable, incorporeal, infinite, from everlasting to everlasting, and who can draw a picture of that? Who can invent a word to encompass that? The only word that has ever been shown forth that set men free is that word I! Whenever it was revealed, the veil was removed. Whenever God was personalized and finitized, or made an image in this or that religion, the veil was on again. Why could the mystic see that God is closer than breathing, nearer than hands and feet, when there is nothing closer than breathing but I myself? We are to relax, to rest, in this consciousness, the creative Principle of life, the Reality of life, the Omnipresence, Omnipotence, and Omniscience that Is within me. Closer than breathing Is the Selfhood of me. Relax in It and let It perform Its work. This also shows you why it was said, "He performeth that which is given me to do, He perfecteth that which concerneth me." There is always this He, that is within me, that we identify as not a "He" ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 2, Before Abraham.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:21- 103K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 28, Richard Davis Lecture
- ~ 28 ~ RICHARD DAVIS LECTURE The Richard Davis lecture in the Christian Science Monitor of December 3, 1935, gives us much to think about. He stated: "When John declared that God is Love . . . he was not endeavoring to formulate a concept of Deity based on sentiment or emotion." This statement of Mr. Davis needs careful study and application. When we are tempted to wonder if we must do something or think something to help our demonstration, we might dwell on Mr. Davis' remark: "Man is not called upon to enforce the law of Love, for it is its own enforcement; but he does become conscious of its existence and experiences the revelation in his own consciousness of its action." Too often we strive to work out our own destiny, and regarding this he says: "The human sense struggles to work out its own destiny even while divine Love waits to fulfill every aspiration soaring toward good." Repeatedly I have referred you to this statement in Science and Health that there is "a divine influence ever present in human consciousness," 1 which we understand to be the Christ, able and willing to do all things for you. Of this, Mr. Davis says: "The Christ in your consciousness will govern every act of your being. It will make you a good man and a successful one, and, if you accept it fully, it will glorify your being." Our message finds support in this paragraph: "Christian Science declares that there is nothing wrong with the real man. The process of Christian Science treatment is not that of changing a sick man into a healthy one, or a diseased body into a well one. God's man is already well and free. It is our privilege to see and know it." And to support this, he quotes from Miscellany: "You can never demonstrate spirituality until you declare yourself to be immortal and understand that you are so. Christian Science is absolute; it is neither behind the point of perfection nor advancing towards it; it is at this point and must be practiced therefrom. Unless you fully perceive ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 28, Richard Davis Lecture.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:48- 90K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: December 1955, Christmas 1955
- CHAPTER TWELVE: DECEMBER Christmas 1955 A CHRISTMAS message should be a message of peace. Our thoughts turn from the peace the world is seeking to the true peace-"My peace" which, when men are ready to receive it, comes with healing of mind and body. The world seeks a peace that can never be found while its sense of peace is but an absence or cessation of war. This peace, even when accomplished, is temporary, because it is based solely upon conferences and relationships between men and nations. True peace is achieved only as we lay down the armor of flesh; as we put up the sword of defense from the fears and hatreds of the world: as we cease warring with the conditions of earth. Lasting peace reigns only when men's relationship to man is based upon his relationship to God. Peace is realized as we find union with our fellowmen through the experience of God. Peace is attained as we behold the Son of God ruling first our lives and then our neighbor's. The world is seeking peace "out there" but peace is to be found in entertaining the Prince of Peace within our own individual beings. Let us, therefore, no longer seek the peace the world is seeking but, rather, "The peace of God which passeth all understanding." "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." The Christ on Earth "Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth. He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law. Thus saith God the Lord, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...cember 1955, Christmas 1955.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:58- 131K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: September 1956, Spiritual Illumination - The Way of Harmony
- CHAPTER NINE: SEPTEMBER Spiritual Illumination: The Way of Harmony THERE is one reason for the individual and collective discords of this world- only one reason why anyone is sinful, sick, or poor; only one reason why nations contend and wage war against each other. That reason is material sense- limitation, finiteness, the belief that matter is a reality, and that matter constitutes all there is to the world. Material sense would have us believe we have a physical body that has only so many years to function. Material sense says that the world contains so many square miles of land and so many dollars, and four billion people are struggling to divide it. It is material sense that makes one desire what another possesses, to the extent that men are willing to steal and cheat and even kill to obtain it. The foundation of our spiritual work is set forth in the following quotation from The Infinite Way 1 Illumination dissolves all material ties and binds men together with the golden chains of spiritual understanding; it acknowledges only the leadership of the Christ; it has no ritual or rule but the divine, impersonal universal Love; no other worship than the inner Flame that is ever lit at the shrine of Spirit. This union is the free state of spiritual brotherhood. The only restraint is the discipline of Soul, therefore we know liberty without license; we are a united universe without physical limits; a divine service to God without ceremony or creed. The illumined walk without fear-by Grace. Such illumined spiritual consciousness reveals that we need nothing of each other, because "All things that the Father hath are mine." The nations of the world will heartily agree that this is a beautiful, idealistic, and much to be desired theory, but not for one moment will they believe it to be practical. The practicality and usability of the Christ teaching never will be known, or understood, or demonstrated by man whose breath is in his nostrils, because, to him, the only ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nation - The Way of Harmony.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:12- 122K
Find Similar Documents
The Only Freedom: Chapter 8, God Realized
- I Chapter Eight God Realized n meditation God reveals Itself to us and, in revealing Itself, It becomes the presence and power that takes over and governs our experience. If we think of going into meditation believing that it is going to overcome some problem or remove some obstacle, we defeat our purpose and prevent its activity. The reason we stress the nature of error is to remind ourselves that we are not seeking the realization of God for the purpose of overcoming error but, with an understanding that error has no power, we are turning within only for God-realization, and not for any purpose, that is, not to achieve anything. The only achievement is God- realization itself. To have a thought beyond that is to jeopardize our success. We do not go to God to get something as if God were withholding it and as if our going would persuade Him to loosen up. We go to God only for the experience of communion, to sit in the presence of God, to feel the hand of God, and to be touched with the Spirit by the grace of God. That is enough, and when that happens, the discords of human experience begin to fade. The Nature of Gratitude It is right for us to enjoy spiritual grace translated into terms of human harmony and peace, but we cannot gain them by going to God solely for that purpose. Students will often feel a greater sense of gratitude for the healing of some so-called serious problem than they will for the healing of some minor thing. In our work that is rank error because it does not lie within our power to heal a headache or a cancer. But a realization of the presence of God reveals harmony where there was discord. Therefore, what we achieve for those who turn to us for help is the realization of God's presence, and whether it removes a headache or a cancer is incidental. It will do whatever is necessary, and sometimes far more than we could ever dream about. It is more far reaching than the immediate object we may have in mind. To express gratitude in a different ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...om_ Chapter 8, God Realized.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:35- 118K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter VII, The Sacred Word
- CHAPTER VII THE SACRED WORD I AM THAT I AM: EXODUS 3:14 I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. JOHN 6:35 Before Abraham was, I am. JOHN 8:58 I am the light of the world. JOHN 9:5 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. JOHN 14:6 I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. JOHN 11:25 I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. HEBREWS 28:20 Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. MATTHEW 28:20 In an attempt to fathom the mystery of God, to explain what can never be explained, and to encompass what can never be encompassed, man has used words. But words can never explain God. There can never be a word that is God. Not even the word God is God, nor the words Mind, Soul, Spirit, or Truth, for all these are effects objective to the person voicing them. There are no synonyms for God in absolute truth. Those that we use are really only attributes descriptive of God. Soul is an attribute of the purity of God; Spirit describes God's incorporeality; love, mind, principle, and law are facets of God- being; but none of these is really God. When we are done with all these words, we are no closer to God than we were before: we have not found God. And so, we go on to another word, and another word, and another word. Finally, we realize that we cannot find God in a word, in any word out here. Ultimately, we come back to the one word which holds the secret of the ages-I. I is neither objective nor subjective, and that I is the I that I am, the Knower. It is the Knower and the known, that which knows and that which is known; and I am both: I am He. If all the words that we use as synonyms for God really were God, the room in which we are sitting and repeating those words would be aflame with illumination, and there would be no disease or discord in it. But all we are doing when we repeat these ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter VII, The Sacred Word.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:59- 122K
Find Similar Documents
Awakening Mystical Consciousness: Chapter 3, Spiritual Power Unveiled
- ... The protection that is necessary is not more or better bombs. I am not a pacifist and am not trying to stop anyone from manufacturing bombs. But the world will be saved by spiritual power alone, and spiritual power comes only through the consciousness of individuals. There has always been spiritual power; but until it comes through a Moses, an Elijah, a Jesus, a Paul, or anyone else who attains this understanding, it is not in evidence. Spiritual power will govern this earth through our individual consciousness in proportion to our not fearing the error and not using spiritual power against the error, just declaring within ourselves "Spiritual power." Someday we will have a body of people in this world touched by the Spirit; they will meet; and peace will be. Peace will come through the activity of the Spirit that is now abroad in the world, touching people of all lands. Those who have been touched by the Spirit are helping and can further help to awaken humanity to this touch of the Spirit by their prayers, by fulfilling acts of Grace- forgiveness, praying for the enemy-but above all, by an understanding of the nature of the Messiah. The Messiah taught, "My kingdom is not of this world." 17 "Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." 18 Most people think of God as an almighty King; they even sing hymns to the almighty King, the King that goes out before them to slay their enemies, the King that conquers lands for them. The result has been that when conquerors have gone out with armies, there has always been a minister or priest to bless them, as if God sanctioned or could bless the conquering of other peoples. Armies and navies go out to slay, and somebody can always be found to say a prayer for them. All this is based on the erroneous ancient Hebrew teaching that God is an almighty King and that His function is to see that our enemies are slain and that we are victorious. We must always be victorious, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...3, Spiritual Power Unveiled.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:07- 133K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 15, 1964, Into the Mystical Consciousness
- INTO THE MYSTICAL CONSCIOUSNESS February 15, 1964 Honolulu, Hawaii GOOD AFTERNOON. Our 1963 work was to make the transition from metaphysical consciousness to mystical consciousness, and as you study the four tapes of the 1964 Honolulu Series and the papers so far, you will discover that we have been consciously making that transition and should either have made it by now or be right on the verge of attaining. There is one final step you can take that will help you complete your realization, and that is this: Look out of this window and select a tree or a group of trees, and behold that there is a law of life functioning in that tree-from the roots out to the fruit on the branches. Take it very slowly. Look down into the roots beneath the soil and you will soon agree that the roots are drawing unto themselves from the surrounding earth, food which has been formed of the rain that has fallen, sunshine, fertilization, and that out of these surroundings is sent up into the trunk of the tree and out into the branches all that is necessary, not only for the sustenance of the tree, but for the forming of the leaves, the blossoms, and the fruit. All of this is possible, not by virtue of the roots or the surrounding earth, but by virtue of an invisible life force acting in and through the tree or upon it, producing the effects that are probably visible through a high-powered glass. The miracle of this exercise is that you have been a beholder, but in no way have you had any part in what you beheld. You did not bring it about, you did not start it into action, you merely beheld, and by your beholding came into the awareness of that which has been taking place out there in those trees before we even came into this room. What is the miracle? You do not set God at work or to work; you do not bring the power of God into any situation. God was there before you, because of omnipresence. It makes no difference if you had a wrong thought this morning or if you committed a wrong deed ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... the Mystical Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:11- 113K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: March 17, 1963, The Tree of Life
- THE TREE OF LIFE March 17, 1963 Halekulani Hotel YOU MAY HA VE NOTICED that it takes several years after you receive a spiritual idea or principle before it is yours, and before you can demonstrate it. This is normal, this is natural, and it would be folly to expect anything different. It has been so with every one of us. We hear a spiritual principle and we read it. In fact we read it over and over again, and we hear it on tapes or in lectures or classes, and therefore we think that we know it and wonder why we cannot demonstrate it. Remember that this is normal and natural and true of each of us. Even principles that have come through my own lips have really not become mine until several years later. Even though they come through my own consciousness, they did not register at the time in a demonstrable degree. It was years later before I could say, "Whereas I was blind, now I see. Whereas before I could voice it, now it is an incorporated part of me. Now I can live it." One of these principles is one that you heard this morning and one that you will find in most of my writings, and that is the tree of life. Usually I have used this example: Imagine a tree in the middle of this room, and then visualize each one of us attached to that tree as a branch. Then you will notice that we are all being fed from the same source. The sap that comes up through the trunk of the tree, the life that is flowing up through the trunk, this feeds and sustains and nourishes us and each of us draws from the same source. Now the meaning of this is that there is actually an invisible tree in this room. There is actually an invisible thread connecting us to the trunk of that tree. That tree is the spiritual tree of life and each one of us, by an invisible thread or bond is united to this tree of life. We are maintained, sustained, guided, directed, illumined from the same source, the life or sap that flows up through the roots into the trunk and out into each branch. Now, if you were to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 17, 1963, The Tree of Life.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:17- 106K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 10, 1964, Omnipresence
- OMNIPRESENCE May 10, 1964 RELAX AND LET the mental strain fall away, because we wish to be transparencies through which the Spirit can flow. Remember you are not here to get anything. When we have large lecture audiences, it is to be expected that many people come to receive something or to gain something or to learn something. This is legitimate, just as it is legitimate when we first come to a metaphysical teaching to seek something in the outer realm: better health or increased supply or improved relationships. However, in a small group of this nature, you have learned at least in some measure that anything you are going to get is only in proportion to the flow of the spirit. Therefore, your mind should not be on achieving something or on learning something, but rather resting in the assurance that there is a spirit in man. Let this spirit flow, and the spirit that flows through you will feed you; but it will do something far more than that, because it will feed each one of us. What feeds me will continue to feed you; what feeds you will continue to feed me. What feeds us will feed those in this room and, because the flow of spirit cannot be limited or stopped, it will continue to flow out of this room into the world. Just as the life of the tree not only feeds the tree but produces fruit on the tree, so it is in our spiritual life. We no longer think in terms of feeding "me and my family," but we let it produce enough fruit to feed the world. Relax and take this as a law to remember: The only tension there is in meditation is when you are trying to get something. The moment you release the desire to get, you will relax. A little now about our trip. In Portland, Seattle, and Chicago, Mrs. Daisy Shigemura of Hawaii, Mrs. Eileen Bowden of Canada, Miss Lorene McClintock of New York, Mrs. Virginia Stephenson of California, and Miss Lorraine Sinkler of Chicago will be conducting Infinite Way teacher classes on meditation, spiritual healing, and ways and means of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... May 10, 1964, Omnipresence.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:19- 115K
Find Similar Documents