Man Was Not Born to Cry: Chapter 10, The Meaning of Prayer
- ~ 10 ~ THE MEANING OF PRAYER For many years after the Crucifixion, the majority of Jesus' followers resisted all efforts that were made to bring them into conformity with the teachings of the Master. They continued to live by the Hebraic laws, many of them insisting that no Gentiles be admitted to their brotherhood, that all men must be circumcised, and that all members observe their dietary rules. It was only years later, with the advent of Paul and his teaching of "neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision," 1 that the Judaic laws were dropped and the Christian teaching accepted. Today, too, we find that it is not easy to give up teachings and traditions of our childhood, regardless of how erroneous they may have been, and we therefore often continue to cling to them throughout our lives. I well remember the day when my mother told me that there was no Santa Claus and that there was no use hanging up my stocking on Christmas Eve. No Santa Claus! I knew better than my mother. I was not going to believe it for a minute; therefore, I proceeded to hang up my stocking. Even my mother could not break a belief that had been implanted in me from the time I came on earth. I was looking forward to Santa Claus coming on Christmas and bringing me a whole tree full of gifts, and no one was going to take that away from me. So, also, do we cling to our early religious teachings relative to the nature of God. God has been set up as a kind of superhuman parent to whom we can go and cry, asking for what we want, and if we just cry hard enough, sacrifice, tithe, light a candle, take off our shoes, put our hats on, or perform some other ritual, we may get what we ask for. Each group or denomination has its own way of persuading God to do its will; each one has some way in which it tries to appease God and thereby hopes that God will open up his bag of gifts and hand out health to one, supply to another, a husband to one, a divorce to another, or a child to one, and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 10, The Meaning of Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:58- 140K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 10, Start the Flow to God
- Chapter Ten Start the Flow to God Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days. Ecclesiastes 11:1 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Matthew 13:12 The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof. Psalm 24:1 Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. Luke 15:31 The kingdom of God is within you. Luke 17:21 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ. Romans 8:16,17 The above quotations indicate that you now have the fullness of the God-head bodily; you have all that God has. It may not appear that way looking out with the eyes, hearing with the ears, tasting, touching, or smelling with the physical senses. It may not appear at first to the physical senses that you have all that God has or even a little bit of it. It may even appear that you lack something. But you are not to judge by appearances. You are to judge righteous or spiritual judgment, and spiritual judgment, that is, spiritual discernment, reveals that all that God is you are. All that the Father has is yours. All that God is, you individually are. Allness The allness of God is made manifest as the allness of the son. God is both the Father and the Son: God, the Father, God, the Son. When you acknowledge your sonship, you are knowing the truth, and the truth will make you free, free from discordant appearances or experiences. But the truth you must know is that nothing can be added to you, that you cannot get anything, you cannot achieve anything, and you cannot demonstrate anything because all that the Father has is already yours. The life of God is your life; therefore, your life is eternal. The mind of God is your mind; therefore, you have infinite intelligence. God, the Soul, is your individual soul; therefore, you are as pure as God. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 10, Start the Flow to God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:13- 127K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 3, God's Blessing Is Not Dependent on Thought or Thing
- ... Take no thought for the things of "this world." Do your work; fulfill your mission on earth, in your household, in your family, in your business, in your art, in your profession. I am the very bread of life, the very supply. I am here that you might have it more abundantly. With this meditation we will find a peace descending, and eventually the words will come to an end. Perhaps for twenty, thirty, or forty seconds we will be completely at peace, without a single thought. That is sufficient. That is why it is much better to have six or ten one to two-minute periods every day than it is to have one or two half-hour periods of relaxing into God's grace. We are not seeking anything; we are remembering: Thy grace is free. It is not dependent on what I think or do; Thy grace is free. My remembrance of this will make me think and do that which is spiritually right. It is possible to love this God with all our heart, with all our soul, and with all our might, for this God has no remembrance of the past; this God has full forgiveness in the present. TAPE RECORDED EXCERPTS Prepared by the Editor The listing of the titles of chapters in the writings dealing with Christmas and the recordings used in the preparation of these chapters, proved to be of such inestimable value to the students in gaining a deeper awareness of the real meaning of Christmas that at this Easter season which marks the culmination of the Christ experience, the Easter messages found in Joel S. Goldsmith's writings are listed below. Those students who work with these chapters and recordings throughout the coming months will have their own special Easter-experience of rising above this world of mental concepts into the realm of pure Consciousness. The Easter-Experience "Resurrection," Chapter 4 of The 1957 Infinite Way Letters from Joel S. Goldsmith's "The Teacher Within," The 1956 Second Steinway Hall Closed Class, Tape 2:2; "Establishing your Spiritual Integrity," The 1955 First Kailua Study Group, Tape ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pendent on Thought or Thing.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:12- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: September 1959, The Impersonalization of Good and Evil
- ... At the present stage of your unfoldment, this realization should come to you with the force and power of a recognized, definite principle for continuous moment-to-moment practice. The Christ Cannot Be Finitized There is a second part of this principle which is even more difficult to practice. Just as evil cannot be personalized, so good cannot be personalized. We now know that it is incorrect to say that anyone is a sinner, but it is equally incorrect to say that anyone is spiritual. Let us not make the futile attempt to pin Christhood to any person's humanhood or to any part of a person that is visible or tangible to sense. If there is any quality of good flowing through him, it is not his personal quality. It is a God-quality for which he is but the instrument. We have learned that any evil quality which flows through an individual is not of himself, but is really a universal mesmerism which he has not consciously rejected. Now we must realize that if love, charity, benevolence, forgiveness, kindness, and co-operativeness are flowing through us, we must be careful not to take the credit for these qualities, for they do not have their source in us. We are but the instrument through which, and as which, God appears, the instrument through which good appears. When we are called upon for help, we do not attempt to make a bad human being good, a poor human being rich, or a sinful person pure, but we turn immediately to the realization of the Christ. Note this point carefully: We do not try to add the Christ to a person, because the Christ cannot be finitized or personalized. The Christ is infinite, the son of God, which you are and which I am, but never can we finitize It or personalize It. Do not try to fasten your realization of the Christ onto a person, or direct It to a person, or send It out to a person, or believe that a person is It. This is a very difficult point, but one which is absolutely essential to the healing work: Do not pin any form of error onto your ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nalization of Good and Evil.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:13- 141K
Find Similar Documents
The Journey Back to the Father's House: Chapter 12, Spiritual Preparation for Peace
- Chapter Twelve Spiritual Preparation for Peace Many students, even after they are on the spiritual path, think that there is some truth or some message to be found in a book or in the Bible that will change the nature of their life, that is, improve it, and do it quickly. The truth is that there is no message or teaching that can have that much power. Truth Cannot Be Revealed Through the Mind There is a truth, however, a startling truth, revealed by the great mystics of all ages, but it cannot be accepted by most persons because it cannot be understood through the mind. "The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God." 1 Therefore, the natural man, with this reasoning, thinking mind, can never grasp truth, and even if by some miracle the truth could be given to that mind it would benefit no one. There is a story that goes back probably five thousand years illustrating this, relating to a time when the ultimate of truth was known, and some who wanted to know this truth were determined to find it. It has always been believed that it would take a person anywhere from six to nine years to be able to grasp truth, even though when the truth was given to him it could be given to him in one sentence. It has always been considered, even four or five thousand years ago, that there must be a period of from six to nine years before an individual's consciousness could be prepared to receive the truth. These men, however, were determined to have it sooner than that and to bypass those years of inner preparation. But whether or not they received it, it did them no good. Ever since that time, men have tried to give forth truth in a capsule or even in a book, but it is not possible. The mind of the natural man, the mind with which or into which he is born, cannot accept truth. Because of that, there must be a period between the time that a person's interest in truth is aroused and the time when his consciousness is prepared to accept it, that is, when he arrives at a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...itual Preparation for Peace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:25- 130K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 14, Christ Consciousness
- ~ 14 ~ CHRIST CONSCIOUSNESS "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you." 1 In the human picture, we have to earn our good. We have to be worthy of it; we have to be deserving of it. We have to work for it and work hard for it. In the human world, we are constantly making a physical or mental effort to bring about some good in our experience. And yet, the promise is, "My peace I give." But this promised peace does not come through the use of either physical or mental effort, nor does it come from those things that the world can give, such as money, position, or place. In our healing work, we do not use physical means, but there are many students of metaphysics today who still use a great deal of mental effort. In the Infinite Way, however, we are learning to rise above the need for even mental work in healing to the point where healing comes by grace as that Christ peace. For example, if I were asked for help, and then immediately began to think thoughts, know the truth, or make declarations of truth, that would be mental effort. Of course, knowing the truth is our foundation, our beginning, in this work. We do know the truth. We remember what we have learned about treatment, beginning with God, and following through to the realization of God. True, that was a mental effort; but that correct letter of truth forms the foundation of our work, because without it our healing work might be the result of a blind or ignorant faith. There are many times when a blind faith might not prove strong enough to withstand the suggestions of the world. If, however, you know the truth of being, you know that God is individual life, and that therefore, the life of the individual is just as permanent as the life which is God; you know that the divine Mind, or God, is the mind of the individual, and therefore, there can be no mental aberration or lapse from intelligence; you know that God, the divine Soul, is also the Soul of the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 14, Christ Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:29- 122K
Find Similar Documents
The Only Freedom: Chapter 3, Letting God Reveal Itself
- ... For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God: Wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye." 9 In any moment, turn and seek the realization of God's continuous love and realize that in Him there never has been criticism, judgment, or condemnation. The Master, Christ Jesus, knew this probably better than any man. When asked by his disciples, "Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents? . . . Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents." 10 "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." 11 Jesus above all men knew that we must forgive seventy times seven, and he knew that God's forgiveness is seventy times seventy times seven. In other words, God's forgiveness is endless. Why? Because God does not hold us in condemnation, criticism, or judgment. "Who made me a judge or a divider over you?" 12 All Erroneous Acts, a World-Mesmerism So if there are past sins, drop the penalty for them in this moment and realize they are as dead as yesterday. They can never live again unless you ... When we learn enough of love so that we can hold each other in this sacred relationship, then we will be able to go out and begin to take in our fellow man in our community life, family life, national life, and ultimately international life. The day must come when God's love will cover the earth through you and through me. In this consciousness of love there is neither Jew nor Gentile: there is only the child of God, the spiritual son, the divine revelation of God's government. Once a year the Hebrews have a Day of Atonement. On that day they seek God's forgiveness and they believe that all their sins of the past year are forgiven and that they start out with a new slate absolutely clean. The Roman Catholics have more than one Day of Atonement because every time they go to their priest for confession they are forgiven their sins and they start out anew. We do not have any such consolation because we start out with the understanding that God does not ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., Letting God Reveal Itself.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:33- 121K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XIII, The Father Which Seeth in Secret
- CHAPTER XIII THE FATHER WHICH SEETH IN SECRET And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. MATTHEW 6:5, 6 These words of the Master must come as a shock to us when we realize how many people believe that their most effective prayers are those said in church. How many times have we, ourselves, prayed in public, forgetting that, according to Jesus, prayer must be practiced in secret. Of old, the Pharisees and the scribes prayed in public in much the same manner as do most of the people of our world today, and for their much praying, they received the praise of their neighbors: There is only one thing they lost-God's grace. When our prayers become a matter of public utterance, we are inflating our ego, trying to make something of ourselves, setting out to glorify ourselves, not realizing that thereby we sacrifice the reward of the Father and separate ourselves from the very blessings we are seeking. Anything that glorifies ourselves or attempts to make the world believe that we are something of ourselves tends to separate us from the love of God. The whole teaching of the Master is, "I can of mine self do nothing . . . the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. . . . My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." This injunction to pray in secret does not mean that we cannot unite with others in prayer or meet in church or temple for the purpose of prayer because Jesus also taught that "where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." His intent was that we should not attend church because it is the accepted thing to do-fashionable or politic-or because our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ather Which Seeth in Secret.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:41- 101K
Find Similar Documents
Beyond Words & Thoughts: Chapter 12, God Revealing Himself as Christ on Earth
- ~ 12 ~ GOD REVEALING HIMSELF AS CHRIST ON EARTH Regardless of the heights we may attain on the spiritual path, it does not mean that we will forever be without problems of one kind or another. It is safe to say from what we have observed that most of the problems of those who are on the Path will be minor ones and easily resolved. Occasionally, however, because of universal world hypnotism, some very, very severe problems come even to the student of a considerable measure of spiritual attainment. The mere fact that we are living in a world with other people means that we cannot close our eyes to the troubles and problems of our friends or families. Sometimes, too, we cannot close our eyes to the troubles and problems of the world, and so, as we come under the hypnotism of world belief, we may encounter a serious problem at any stage of our spiritual experience. No matter how great the problem may be, however, even that of facing death, it does not seem too great because we have come to the realization that life here or life there is still life, so that it is just going to be a matter of making the adjustment to life on one plane of life or another. Of course, when the world faces serious problems, it has no answer, and that is a terrifying spot to be in: to face serious problems and to realize there are no answers. We have one great advantage, however, over the rest of the world and over those persons who live in fear of every pain because they think it is a sign that they are going to die. We do know that there is an answer, and that it is just a matter of our attaining that answer. And what is the answer? The right degree of spiritual realization. So we have something toward which to work because we know that if we were facing our last minute of life on earth, it could be completely reversed, just by the correct realization. I do want to make this point, however, that probably those on this Path are free of eighty per cent of all the world's problems, and the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Himself as Christ on Earth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:12- 138K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 18, 1963, Spiritual Responsibility
- ... Two things we have covered today: (1) To separate yourself from the belief that you belong to any particular religious body, and see yourself as an individual leading the contemplative life, leading your life through inner guidance. (2) Whatever spiritual inspiration you receive within, adapt it to your human experiences without. Above all things, this inner life manifests itself in human relationships with each other and at every level of life, regardless of what level it might be. In our conduct and attitude toward the one closest to us or the stranger, there must be the same integrity, the same tolerance, the same patience, the same forgiveness as with anyone else. This does not mean you must be taken advantage of-your inner wisdom would quickly take you away from those conditions. TRUTH IS NOT FOR YOU ALONE Now you have a responsibility, because as part of this group you are not receiving this message for yourself. I trust that you all know that anyone who is a part of this group ... The observance of any holiday or holy day, feast day, rite or ceremony is usually believed to influence God. If we go through communion service, or observe any rite or ritual, we think that it gives us influence with God. There is nothing you can humanly be doing that will influence God. It can only be done by coming into obedience to God's laws. The Master's whole teaching is how to bring us into at-one-ment with God. Then you have attuned yourself with spiritual law. If you pray for the enemy, ask forgiveness, you are attuning yourself. The minister I was with the other day said, "Prayer is fitting ourselves to receive the grace of God which is ever- present." I am really shocked when I think of people who pray for things without any idea at all of not changing themselves. Here I am leading my human life: "Now you come on down, God, and do something for me." God's grace cannot be added to what is done humanly. Individuals come for prayer thinking we would reduce the lump or stop the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...3, Spiritual Responsibility.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:19- 108K
Find Similar Documents