The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Living Now - Every Day Is a Day of Decision
- ... This truth that we have been knowing is the universal truth about all God's creation. It is not the truth about mortal man because mortal man is living in defiance of the laws of God. It is true only of that I that is living in conscious oneness with God, and we are living in that conscious oneness only when we are living the life of love, loving our neighbor as ourselves, loving our fellow man, forgiving even our persecutors and enemies. The mortal life is not of God: it is destructible. The life that is lived in the belief in good and evil is not under the law of God, and only when we live forgiveness, live in sharing and giving, are we living the God-life, that incorporeal, spiritual life that is indestructible, the life that not even flames can destroy or swords pierce. This life which we bring to our remembrance when we realize the true meaning of I is our God-given, immortal life, and we live it through love, and only through love. When selfishness, greed, lust, animality, hate, envy, and jealousy are permitted entrance into our consciousness, we are living a life apart from God, a life which has no support from God, and therefore a life which must come to an end. We can reject that human sense of life by renouncing the personal sense of self which is characterized by a lack of love, a lack of justice, or a lack of benevolence; and we can accept the I that is one with God, the I that is the Spirit of God that has come as our individual being that we might have life, and that we might share this life through love and forgiveness, by releasing everyone from all obligations to us, through praying for others, and through knowing the truth. "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 18 . . . This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." 19 Love-this is the heritage, this is the nature of the I that we are. Since "I and my Father are one," my whole reliance is on Him, on the I that I ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ry Day Is a Day of Decision.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:20- 137K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: States and Stages of Consciousness
- States and Stages of Consciousness Even though for many years the metaphysical world has believed that mental and spiritual healing are synonymous, actually they are as far apart as are material and spiritual healing. Mental and material healing are much the same except that they operate on different levels of consciousness. The mental is a little higher and finer than the material, but essentially they are two strata of the same belief. On the other hand, to use the terms, "mentally spiritual" or "spiritually mental," is exactly the same as saying, "a godly devil." The spiritual and the mental are just that far apart, not that one is right and the other is wrong, but they function on such different levels of consciousness that they are as far apart as the poles. The present day mixture of the spiritual and the mental stems from the beginning of modern mental practice, which originated in the last quarter of the eighteenth century in Germany with Franz Anton Mesmer, a reputable and learned physician, who named his discovery animal magnetism. He it was who discovered that there is a vital fluid-invisible and mental-which passes from the practitioner to the patient and which acts hypnotically through suggestion. One of Mesmer's students, the French mesmerist, Charles Poyen, migrated to Portland, Maine, and there found an apt student named Phineas P. Quimby to whom he taught mesmerism, then known as hypnotism, or animal magnetism, and for some time these two engaged in this activity primarily for entertainment purposes. Mr. Quimby, later known as Dr. Quimby, however, had a young patient, or student, who worked as his assistant and who developed the faculty, under hypnotism, of discerning the mental causes of the physical diseases of people coming to him on the platform. Dr. Quimby, then, by recognizing the power of the mental thought, erased the disease. As a result of some remarkable healings which took place, he gave up the entertainment phase of his work and became ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...and Stages of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:21- 156K
Find Similar Documents
The Only Freedom: Chapter 7, Where the Spirit of the Lord Is There Is Liberty
- ... That is all that material existence consists of, a continuous catering to the little self. When we improve and become a little better, we begin being good to our mothers and fathers and children, and we really believe that that is being spiritual. By the time that we are able to be good to our cousins, nephews, and nieces, we really think we are good spiritual people. All of that is nonsense. "Pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; . . . For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye?" 5 It profits a man nothing to be good to his parents, his children, his friends, even to his cousins and fellow Republicans or Democrats. It becomes a spiritual way of life when we can pray that God's grace illumine human consciousness, whether it be our friends or our enemies, our relatives or your relatives. It becomes a spiritual activity when we are willing for the sinners of the world to be forgiven their sins. Whether or not we can forgive them is of relative unimportance. What counts is that we be willing that God's forgiveness and God's grace touch them. The function of our meditation is, first of all, to purify ourselves of self: selfishness, self-righteousness, ego, jingoistic patriotism, all these things in which crimes are committed. Furthermore, our meditations are to eliminate or to dissipate personal sense in the patient or student who comes to us, to dissolve the grosser elements that make up material or human living. When these changes have taken place in consciousness so that we become softer, more mellow, less demanding, more forgiving, more generous, not merely in the sense of giving more dollars, but in the wider circle to which we give those dollars, the sins of the body, the diseases and the lacks of the body begin to disappear. It often does happen that a person comes to a spiritual healer for help and receives that help without any immediate sign of a change in his disposition or character taking place. Actually, that is not ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he Lord Is There Is Liberty.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:35- 113K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter II, Karmic Law
- ... Eventually, this will be the universal relationship on earth, and the law of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, the karmic law of punishment, will not be operative in our experience. The thoughts to which we give expression as human beings come back upon us because that is the nature of the karmic law of as ye sow, so shall ye reap, but God is not to blame for that. We have set in motion the karmic law, and that is what is returning to us. All of us by the very nature of having been born have been guilty of offenses of omission or commission and have therefore brought ourselves under the operation of karmic law. Naturally, then, the question arises: Can this karmic law be broken? Can it be ended? And the answer is, Yes. We can stop the operation of karmic law at any moment in our life when we recognize that we have set this law in motion by our own thoughts and deeds or by the acceptance of racial or religious or national consciousness, and then begin renouncing it. The way to break the karmic law is through repentance and by living constantly in an atmosphere of love and forgiveness. Then we are no longer human or mortal because we no longer harbor thoughts and deeds of mortality. From then on the only karma that comes into our experience is racial or national, and this, too, we must disavow in our own consciousness. If there were a war tomorrow and if we should be called to service, we must answer that call. We "render . . . unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's"-we must fulfill our obligations as citizens because if we do not do our part, we are only removing ourselves from that temporary trouble by compelling someone else to serve in our place and putting someone else in the position where we should be. This is far worse than ourselves accepting the call to service because at least in answering that call we can disavow the act and pray as earnestly for the enemy as for ourselves. We can pray for the freedom, safety, and security of the enemy and, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nce_ Chapter II, Karmic Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:36- 129K
Find Similar Documents
Beyond Words & Thoughts: Chapter 3, Thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image
- ... Every day hundreds go to communion service, take a sip of wine, eat a piece of bread, and then think that they have communed with the Christ. Maybe up in their minds they have or in their imagination. But while the church service of communion is symbolic of true communion and is taken as if it were the real thing, it cannot be real because nobody can receive communion until he and the Christ meet within. True communion is an actual experience that takes place within when a person comes face to face with the Christ, when the Christ speaks or imparts Itself in some way or other. That is communion. We have been led to believe that Jesus' crucifixion saves us from all punishment for our sins. According to that, when we are born, we should be provided with a certificate stating, "Sin all you like because Jesus was crucified, and we hereby give you a license to enjoy life." This is not true. And yet, symbolically, it is true because when the Christ is risen in you from the tomb where It is buried, your sins are forgiven you, and from then on, there are no more sins. The forgiveness of the Christ is always accompanied by the words, "Sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." 5 You never quite forget that because it comes with a sharp voice. You say, "I thought You were so gentle." Yes, the Christ is gentle when the promise is, "Thy sins are forgiven," 6 but the admonition that follows is a reminder to change your ways. Everything in the Bible is truth when it is experienced. You can have Pharaoh at the back of your neck and the Red Sea in front of you, and you can come out without even "the smell of fire," 7 if you have the Experience. That, however, does not mean just reading the Bible, quoting it, or memorizing it. Anything and everything can happen to this world when it is living as a branch of a tree that is cut off. But life ceases to be a matter of chance after you begin the experience of surrendering your life to this inner Spirit, and then, under the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Unto Thee Any Graven Image.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:10- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 1, The Basis of Spiritual Healing
- ~ 1 ~ THE BASIS OF SPIRITUAL HEALING Spiritual healing is brought about through the realization of the Christ in individual consciousness. God, the individual Consciousness of this universe, is the one and only consciousness. However, since God is the consciousness of me and God is the consciousness of you, and because there is only this one consciousness, truth becomes effective in the consciousness of anyone who tunes in to it. Therefore, any truth that reveals itself within our consciousness instantaneously reveals itself to the person appearing as our patient. Sometimes, people who are not associated with us in any way, either as friends, relatives, students, or patients-someone in a hospital or a prison, someone on a desert island, someone who is reaching out for help to his highest concept of God-may be healed even though they do not know us and we do not know them; or even if they do know us, they may not know that we are on this path, and, therefore, would not know why they were healed. There is only one Life, one Consciousness, one Soul; but that One is the consciousness of you and the consciousness of me. That is why we do not have to try to reach anyone. When we are in this conscious oneness, we become so much a part of one another that what one is thinking about Truth, or God, the other is hearing, but no transference of thought is involved and should not be so construed. We are not one in our humanhood: We are one in the Christ, and all that is being imparted is the divine idea flowing in consciousness. For that reason, those who are aware of the principle of one power need never be concerned about suffering from other people's thoughts. All the suffering on earth, regardless of its form or nature, is a product of the universal belief in two powers; and therefore, universal harmony will only be restored when God is revealed as Omnipotence. There is only one mind and that mind is the instrument of the one Spirit, or God. Human thinking, which is the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Basis of Spiritual Healing.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:16- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Living by the Word: Chapter 12, The Message of the Bible
- Chapter Twelve The Message of the Bible The state of consciousness you are, the elevation of consciousness you attain, this determines what manner of life you lead. It determines whether you live the life of a grub-worm, of a slave, or a free man, or the life of a spiritual entity. It all depends upon what your state of consciousness is. In one state of consciousness, you could very well have been a slave and had everybody ordering you about. But as, through Grace, a higher realization came, you asserted your dominion and became a free man-still human, but free. As greater light came and your consciousness changed, you realized, "I am not merely a free man. I am a spiritual man. I have God-given strength, God-given dominion, and God-given freedom." Eventually you will reach the place in consciousness where Jesus was when he said, "He that seeth me seeth him that sent me." 1 Jesus had not always been at that stage. At one time he was at the state of other Hebrew rabbis in the temple, but he grew until he came to the passage where he read from the book of Isaiah and said, "The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised. . . . This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears." 2 With that, he realized, "Why, no, I'm not going to stand on a platform just reading out of a book." So he stepped down from that platform and went out into the world, not as a temple rabbi but as a world rabbi. Later, all that passed from him, and he was no longer a rabbi: he was a Master. So it is that one day you are addressed as housewife or businessman, then one day as a practitioner, and later as teacher. If you keep ascending in consciousness, one day you will be addressed as Master. It all depends on your state of consciousness. If you have advanced to this point, you are already ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...2, The Message of the Bible.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:49- 125K
Find Similar Documents
Man Was Not Born to Cry: Chapter 8, Rising Above This World
- ~ 8 ~ RISING ABOVE "THIS WORLD" As human beings, we are made up of theories and beliefs-false education, false religious knowledge, and superstition. For example, there are few persons in all this land who do not believe that God punishes and God rewards, and furthermore that God will destroy all their enemies and discords if, through some kind of hocus-pocus or abracadabra, they can get on the right side of God. It is difficult to empty out the old bottles and free ourselves from the concepts to which we have clung throughout the years. It is not easy to develop a flexibility which permits the old forms to be broken up, making way for the new wine of the spirit. Every time we are faced with some absolute spiritual truth, we unconsciously reject it and then experience repercussions because of the inner conflict that is set up. We are continually looking back and comparing this new truth with what we have heretofore believed and which is so firmly rooted in us that it really goes beyond belief to absolute conviction. In fact, we would sacrifice almost anything in the world before we would give up our cherished beliefs. "The Wisdoms of The Infinite Way" 1 contain some of this new wine that will help sweep aside old concepts. Every one of these "Wisdoms" came through revelation, most of them by my being awakened in the middle of the night and having to get up and write down the particular "Wisdom" that revealed itself. All told, they comprise only a few pages, and yet the contents of those few pages were two years in being unfolded to me. The study of these "Wisdoms" can carry the student into a whole new realm of consciousness as it has already done with some of the few students who were given these "Wisdoms" for study and meditation long before they were released to the public in an additional chapter in The Infinite Way. All Illusion Is a Mental Image in Thought From birth, we are faced with appearances, which are the source of all the troubles that befall us. To ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 8, Rising Above This World.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:58- 135K
Find Similar Documents
The Altitude Of Prayer: Chapter 8, Let The Spirit Bear Witness
- ~ 8 ~ LET THE SPIRIT BEAR WITNESS WHEN YOU MAKE CONTACT with the Spirit of God that is within you, you bring into your experience the divine Power and Presence. The work of The Infinite Way is attaining the conscious awareness of that Presence. When you realize that It is "closer . . . than breathing" * you stop the search for It in heaven or in holy mountains, and you begin to rest. In that resting you open out a way for the Spirit to announce Itself and perform Its function. Was not the ministry of the Master the healing of the sick, the raising of the dead, the feeding of the hungry, the forgiving of the sinner, and the overcoming of the discords and inharmonies of life, regardless of the forms in which these discords may have appeared? Is not the Christ-ministry today primarily one of overcoming what the Master called "this world," whether it appears as sin, temptation, false appetite, lack, or limitation? For most persons, it is a simple thing to acknowledge that there is an indwelling Christ, but it is difficult to prove It, to manifest It, or to bring It forth. But this will follow if, and only if, something within you says, "Yes," when you hear or read of the Christ-presence within. It was the Master's awareness and conviction of that Presence that did the miracle works of which you read. All those engaged in spiritual healing know that healing takes place only when they come to the end of prayer or treatment and have an inner release or feeling: "It is done;" or "God is on the scene." Prayer or treatment that consists only of words or thoughts, no matter how sublime or how true they may be, is ineffectual and brings forth no response from the Divine. Only the prayer or treatment that transcends words and thoughts and attains an actual contact with the Spirit brings fruitage. I am not saying that you should do away with prayers or treatments that consist of words or thoughts. Heaven forbid! These are the tools you use; these are the instruments you use to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Let The Spirit Bear Witness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:26- 109K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: February 1958, Problems Aren't Problems any More
- CHAPTER TWO: FEBRUARY Problems Aren't Problems Any More EVERY one of us has encountered problems of one nature or another. Most of us come to the study of spiritual wisdom because of some problem-physical, mental, moral, financial, or even something which may not fall into any of these categories. One of the most difficult of all problems, because it is so intangible and therefore so frustrating, is a sense of incompleteness; but this very sense of incompleteness is what forces us into a seeking for truth and spurs us on in our search for God. During the early stages of our unfoldment, problems really are problems, but if we are seriously following the spiritual path, we eventually come to a place where problems are no longer problems. There are three stages in our experience with problems. The first period is when we have a problem that to us is a very real one, and we turn to a practitioner, teacher, or teaching for help in solving that problem. The practitioner with real spiritual discernment, however, will be able to point out, "Yes, it is true; you do have a problem, but your problem isn't what you think it is. Your problem really is a sense of separation from God; your problem is that you have not yet attained God-realization-not even a touch of it. You will find that when you attain a measure of God-realization, your problem will begin to fall away and eventually it will disappear." This does not mean that the first time we have a flicker of light, automatically, all our problems are going to be solved, but it means that in proportion as we attain God-consciousness our problems will begin to dissolve, and eventually, the nature of the problems will change. The second stage of our unfoldment is that stage in which a problem becomes an opportunity, but it is only when we have come to this second stage that we can see a problem in that light. If we used such language with a beginner, he would probably reply, "I'd be glad to let someone else enjoy this glorious ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ms Aren't Problems any More.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:00- 144K
Find Similar Documents