The Early Years: Chapter 18, Search for Freedom
- ~ 18 ~ SEARCH FOR FREEDOM The uncertainties of human existence compel us to seek a way out of the difficulties that so frequently beset us. Illnesses of every name and nature mark our lives from infancy to old age; failure, disappointments, lack, and limitation seem to be our lot, even though each new year finds us hoping for a healthier and happier one than ever before, and as each "old year" passes we have but few regrets. Inherently we know that this should not be. Indeed, we become more certain with each disappointment that it need not be. Somewhere, we feel, is freedom from mortal trials and human tribulations. We know this freedom can be gained, if we but learn the way. Every human breast prays to God-perhaps to an "unknown God"-for the answer. Every nation and every race looks to its conception of the Almighty for rest, peace, and surcease from its worldly cares. The answer can only be found in God, the one true God whom Jesus called "our Father." In the degree that we understand God and his government of the universe, we are enabled to bring ourselves into harmony with the laws of spirit, under the jurisdiction of divine mind, and we find that every phase of human life is directly maintained in harmony and perfection through the reign of truth." It is our ignorance of God, the divine principle, which produces apparent discord, and the right understanding of him restores harmony." 1 In Christian Science we find that God is divine mind and, therefore, its creation must be in the form of ideas; that God is principle and his government must necessarily be impersonal, impartial, and universal; that God is love and this divine quality is manifested in the care and protection of love's creation; that God is truth, expressing infinite wisdom in its control over man and the universe; that God is spirit, the eternal, unchanging substance of all being. Added to these, we learn that God is infinite life, the one and only life, animating all men and things. Continuing ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 18, Search for Freedom.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:46- 83K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: March 9, 1963, Relationship of Oneness 1
- RELATIONSHIP OF ONENESS 1 March 9, 1963 I WAS JUST TRYING TO SEE if I could find any spiritual reason for celebrating a birthday or an anniversary. Emma and I have been celebrating ours with a little family group every year just as a matter of human enjoyment, but I have been trying to think if there would be any spiritual significance in a birthday or anniversary. For one thing, it does serve as an excuse for a group of people to get together, for it is a wonderful thing for people who are like-minded to be together in this way. Still the question is, is there a spiritual significance? The only answer that would come is for the sake of giving us an opportunity, just because we use numbers, to look back for a few minutes to see how we have developed spiritually in the last few years. What manner of unfoldment has taken place in that time, what sense of togetherness? It would serve a good purpose to see if the past years are unfolding in some beautiful way. I think the only purpose really, that I can see at this moment, is that you can ask yourself, if it is a birthday, "What use am I making of my years?" Yes, this just comes up in my thought: "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break through and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth consume, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: for where thy treasure is, there will thy heart be also." 1 From a spiritual standpoint it would make no difference in the passing of years, if we were using our time to lay up spiritual treasures. You can't take money with you, you can't take bank accounts with you and you can't take university degrees with you. It doesn't even matter if you have been president two or three times. The only thing we can carry with us is whatever measure of spiritual truth or spiritual consciousness we have attained. The same purpose is true on celebrating an anniversary. We would have ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., Relationship of Oneness 1.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:16- 95K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 14, A Word to the Wise
- ~ 14 ~ A WORD TO THE WISE ALL ERROR IS HYPNOTISM claiming to operate as your own thinking. As soon as you realize the error is not your thinking or that of your patient, you separate yourself from the suggestion and you become free. The act of recognizing the error-regardless of its form-as universal hypnotism or mesmeric suggestion claiming to act as your own thought or thinking, is the release. Only while the error is unrecognized as suggestion or imposed hypnotism, do you remain in the sin, disease or lack. Every claim of the body governing or controlling you, every belief of limitation, every appearance of sin or disease, lack or death, is but hypnotism claiming to act as your thinking. The realization of this truth is your remedy. Every claim or suggestion of mortality, even good mortality, must be handled in this way. These human appearances when seen as the activity of mesmerism must now be traced back to the one mind and understood as the finite sense of mind-life and mind's formation. This reversal of the picture and reinterpretation completes the treatment and reveals divine harmony where error seemed to be. To be a practitioner or teacher, you must in some measure have been released from this universal hypnotism so that you stand in back of this world as it were, and "see" with the un-hypnotized mind which is God. In this illumined consciousness it is evident that mesmerism, seen and recognized, is not power; it never was real power, but operated as both presence and power until detected and cast out through the realization of the Self as the all-power. Remember that hypnotism always appears as person, thing, or condition, circumstance or place. The wise practitioner is always able to see behind the false, finite appearance because he is beholding with the unfettered mind which is God. This is summed up for us in The Infinite Way, as follows: "The sense which presents pictures of discord and inharmony, disease and death, is the universal mesmerism which ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 14, A Word to the Wise.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:21- 75K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 16, The Robe
- ~ 16 ~ THE ROBE As an initiate, you will wear the 'robe' of your 'degree' and carry the title of Initiate, leaving behind your family name, and your family and friends as well. Having pledged your allegiance to God and to the service of God, you have no other allegiance, obligations, or responsibilities. Having been accepted into the ministry of the spirit, you are released from the duties and works of the earth. In human existence, a man accepted into military service exchanges civilian clothes for a uniform, and gives up his name for a number. As a military man, he has but one obligation or duty, and that is obedience to orders. In return for this obligation of obedience, the man who wears a uniform drops all care and responsibility for his own support. Even the support of his family comes from the military treasury. Food, clothing, housing, reading materials, amusement, vacations: all these are provided for him. The soldier takes thought for only one thing: obedience to orders. All else is given to him and provided for him. In his obedience to orders, he forsakes family and community: mother, sister, brother, wife, and children, to obey the call and fulfill his duty of obedience. In the spiritual life, the initiate has been called to the service and life of the Master. Immediately, he is divested of the clothing of the earthly world and given the robe of his degree. He renounces family ties and obligations, civil duties and activities to be of the household of God, in service to the Most High. From this moment, the initiate is relieved of all responsibility for his personal care and support. No temporal power takes over this function. Now the infinite invisible which has called him provides all things. You now stand as the initiate, called to the service in the household of God, and you may look neither to man nor other temporal source for your care. Even as your spiritual meat, bread, wine, and water are supplied to you from the infinite resources of your Soul, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Nets_ Chapter 16, The Robe.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:42- 60K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: March 22, 1964, The Bread You Cast Upon the Waters
- THE BREAD YOU CAST ON THE WATERS March 22, 1964 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii PROBABLY ONE OF THE GREATEST revelations of The Infinite Way is this: No amount of truth can benefit you, no matter how profound it is. You are benefitted only by your realization and your utilization of truth. Truth will not set you free. "Ye shall know the truth," and this means know. In the same way, every effort you make towards acquiring truth brings truth nearer home to you. I try to tell students not to depend on my books and not to depend on my tapes, because in and of themselves they have no effect. I have seen this happen in the lives of thousands of people who have read the books and heard the tapes. On the other hand, with hundreds of students I have witnessed a wonderful effect. What is the difference? Do you practice it? I know of people who receive gifts of books and write to me and say: "I have read your book and it is beautiful!" The effort you put into acquiring truth determines what you will get from it. "The bread you cast on the waters is the bread that will return unto you." 1 I never want to see an Infinite Way student turned away for lack of money, but neither do I want to see students continued in charity, because it will not demonstrate the principle of The Infinite Way. The Infinite Way is very clear that the secret of supply is giving, and I am not talking only about money. You do not get from The Infinite Way what you do not give. In our capitalistic days anyone could be successful by working hard enough, because life gives back what you put into it. In The Infinite Way I have witnessed so many people listening to lectures, reading books, going to classes, and accomplishing nothing. Why? Because they put nothing into it. I know that the whole secret of life is outpouring. This is true in any branch of life, whether you are studying an academic subject or whether you are studying a spiritual subject. Throughout my Infinite Way experience I have tried to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ad You Cast Upon the Waters.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:17- 93K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 26, Universal and Specific Belief
- ~ 26 ~ UNIVERSAL AND SPECIFIC BELIEF Universal and specific beliefs must be handled until we reach a state of consciousness in which the continuity of good has been realized. Then our mental work will be lessened, as spiritual revelation takes its place. Outside of Christian Science, humans are born, mature, age, decompose, and die. (All in belief, under the mesmerism of the Adam-dream). In Science, we annul the beliefs and claims of mortal existence one by one, as they appear until, in a measure, the ordinary experiences of mortality leave us untouched. There comes a time in our experience when spiritual inspiration reveals to individual consciousness a state of being free of mortal conditions and beliefs. Then we no longer live a life of constant mental denial and affirmation, but rather receive constant unfoldments of truth from mind. Sometimes this comes through no other channel than our own thought. It may come from a lecture, or in a published article, or it may be revealed through a statement in metaphysical writings. Regardless of the channel through which it may come, it is mind revealing itself to individual consciousness. Then, be sure that until this light comes, you handle whatever universal beliefs present themselves to you. As individual consciousness, we contain within ourselves all that is necessary to our well-being. There can be no sense of personal responsibility, when we know that God, divine love, completely provides within us all that is necessary for our unfoldment. As we give up personal responsibility, we receive divine strength, desire, and ability to help all those who for the moment may seem to need us. It is the divine "I or us" that fills the need of the patient, families or friends. Never do they need the personal you or me. As to our being ready to work from the point of spiritual revelation, that is never a matter for human decision. You just work as it comes to you to work, remembering that the human mind is not the healer; that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...iversal and Specific Belief.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:47- 59K
Find Similar Documents
1954 Infinite Way Letters: Chapter 2, Life of the Soul
- ~ 2 ~ LIFE OF THE SOUL There are two foundations upon which to build a House of Life; rock or sand. The house built upon rock is sturdy and enduring: a fortress, a refuge, a haven of peace. The "rock" is the constant recognition of the Presence of God, and this recognition is attained through the faculty known as Soul. The house built upon sand is always in danger of collapse. Living out from the level of the material senses, which shift and change as often as do the sands, is to live in constant peril of having the whole structure crumble about us. Living out from the level of the human mind, which is nothing more nor less than a state of hypnotism, is the source of anguish, repetition and failure. There is only one Mind, Divine Mind, infinitely manifest, but those who are ignorant of this try to limit the Mind within the mesmeric boundaries of the five physical senses. The human mind, which can only think in terms of good and evil, beginnings and endings, is the sandy foundation, the false premise. Those who seek solely in the outer senses are continually in a turmoil of unhappiness, restlessness and indecision. The mind must seek ever more and ever different plots, jingles and jangles, which quickly become stale and frustrating. It is living at this level of mind which compels them to force the creation and stimulation of pleasure, satisfaction and supply, and because these are always artificial, they are not lasting or real, and must be repeated again and again, until they no longer satisfy or profit. Living at the level of the mind, there must be a continuous round of new pleasures, new faces and scenes. There is never a truly joyous moment, nor are there periods of rest, relaxation, satisfaction or completeness. Until one reviews all this in his thought and realizes the continuous mental effort and strife there has been to attain a peace and satisfaction that has never come, one cannot change from the merry-go-round of the mind to the joyous realm of the Soul. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 2, Life of the Soul.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:53- 82K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 16, 1964, Your Door to Infinity
- YOUR DOOR TO INFINITY February 16, 1964 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii IF YOU REMEMBER what we had this morning on tape number 4, side 2, Honolulu Infinite Way Study Center 1964, there is only one thing that can be added to that and I will not have to say too much about it because we had the subject recently, and that is secrecy. The vital art of this practice is the ability to keep it locked up within you and perform it and practice it without ever speaking of it to anyone. Never under any circumstances let it come through your lips until such time as you have completed the demonstration and are fully living in the consciousness that enables you to automatically turn within every hour of the day, every quarter hour of the day, and realize that right here where you are, in the midst of your meal, at any moment, you can turn within and you will be flooded with whatever you need: inspiration, light, wisdom, principles, courage, foresight, judgement, integrity. Whatever it is that may be the need of the moment, you just have to blink your eyes and immediately I have access to all that God has. When you are demonstrating this in your life and the fruitage is apparent, then you can begin to teach it and impart it to others, but not before. If you try to tell it or teach it before you have demonstrated it, you will be telling something to someone else that you have not proven; you will lose your self-respect by setting yourself up as a teacher of something you do not know, or pretending that something is a principle which you have not demonstrated. At first there will be those who will tell you that it is selfishness, that you must give everything you have. No! Just because you know about it does not mean that you have attained the consciousness of it. Spiritually, never give that which you have not attained. If you learn of a principle that seems reasonable to you, practice it until your life shows it forth. Then when someone is led to you, you can share it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...1964, Your Door to Infinity.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:12- 95K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 1, Love as Understanding
- ~ 1 ~ LOVE AS UNDERSTANDING We all want to be understood and to be understanding. Most of us wish that those we meet could see into the center of our being, could see what we have been from the beginning, but which no one has yet recognized-not mother, not father, not teacher. No one has ever seen what we really are, and it is because of this nonrecognition that we have worn a mask to hide ourselves from the world. If only the mask that is hiding you from me and me from you could drop from our faces, we would be like children, back in the Garden of Eden. Everyone longs to be understood, but most persons think that that means being known as they are humanly. That is not what it means at all. Those who believe that do so because they do not yet know that the Christ is their true identity and this is really what they would like to show forth. The Master Christ Jesus, too, longed to have his true identity recognized and understood. How obvious is his longing as he asks, "Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? . . . Whom say ye that I am?" He longed to be known as the Christ, but he could not walk out and say, "I am the Christ." Let us not hesitate, however, to say silently and secretly to everyone we meet, "Thou art the Christ, the holy one of Israel. I know thee who thou art." How do we know it? Flesh and blood have not taught us this, nor has the human mind revealed it. Only spiritual discernment reveals to us that God lives on earth as individual you and me. God has incarnated Himself as individual being. God the Father appears on earth as God the son. As we begin the practice of beholding the Christ in everyone we meet-in our household, our neighborhood, the market, the post office, the department store-the world will begin to present a different picture to us. People will act in a different way. The world will respond differently to us because the world will bring back to us what we have given to it. Whomever we meet, we meet in the spirit of letting God's grace ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 1, Love as Understanding.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:53- 80K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 8, Ordination
- ~ 8 ~ ORDINATION I AM GOING TO READ SOME NOTES that I made last night. No, I guess it was this morning; they began about three thirty and ended at five. You took last night's lesson on "error and its nature" so beautifully that tonight I feel that I can give you your freedom; I can give you your freedom from what Jesus called "the world" or "this world." If you can receive this freedom tonight, it will be your holiest night on earth. I give you two statements from the Master: "My kingdom is not of this world," 1 and, "I have overcome the world." 2 In the history of the world, only three men are known to have discovered the complete secret of life of their own accord. These men are Lao-Tzu of China, about 600 B.C.; Buddha of India, about 550 B.C.; and Jesus of Nazareth. Through Jesus, the full revelation came to the beloved disciple John on the Isle of Patmos. Through Jesus, I received it in an unfoldment, first from the statement in the Bible, "My kingdom is not of this world." "My kingdom is not of this world" became the subject of my meditation for many months. I did not choose it, it clung to me. Then, "I have overcome the world." Finally came the realization of the meaning of these statements. I have never known this to be taught since it was received by John, except in his own veiled writing. If you can receive it tonight, God has indeed blessed you beyond all living men and women. Friends, to overcome the world means to overcome or rise above all sense of desire; to be free of world attraction; to achieve being in the world but not of it; to attain freedom from bondage to personal ego; to understand the spiritual world and thus gain freedom from the false sense of God's universe. As we humanly see this world, we are seeing God's heaven, but seeing it "through a glass darkly." To overcome this world means to rise above the human, finite, erroneous sense of this world, and see it as it is. John told us, you remember, that in that day we will see him as he is and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 8, Ordination.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 95K
Find Similar Documents