Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 8, Not Good or Evil
- CHAPTER 8 Not Good or Evil I SUPPOSE THAT if we have a hard job to do, we might as well do it first. Let's get to the most difficult part of our work at once. Those of you who are familiar with religious literature or metaphysical literature know that all spiritual living is based on the overcoming of self; what Paul calls dying daily, being reborn of the Spirit. The religious literature of the world is in agreement that the only devil there is, is ourselves. By "ourselves" I mean my Joel self, your Bill self, your Mary self. It is that part of you or me which insists on being catered to, that part of us which can have hurt feelings or hurt bodies, that part of us which can have fears one day and joys another day. Now ordinarily in our physical world, you think it is quite enough if you can get rid of negative aspects of yourself. That is, you want to overcome your bad traits, sins, diseases, and the like, and hold on to all the good ones. That, in ordinary religion, is the hope. You stop being a bad human and begin becoming a good one. You stop being sick and become well. You stop your bad temper and have a good temper. However, that has no relationship to true religion or a spiritual way of life. In the spiritual way of life, you don't have any good world any more than you have a bad world. If anyone accuses you of having a good world, you say with the Master, Why callest thou me good? There is only One good." If they complain about the bad one, You can say with Paul, "The good I would, I do not, not because I am bad, but because I find a bad power in me." So we unload our bad only on the condition that we don't try to retain good, since that would only make us little better than good church-members. Of course, in our lifetime, church-and especially the right sense of church- can be a great blessing to us. For instance, we are in church whenever we are assembled in a place for the purpose of communion with God, where two or more can be together as spiritual ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 8, Not Good or Evil.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:22- 105K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 6, When We Are Tempted To Argue ...
- VI when we are tempted to argue or fight: "don't fight 5!" A S LONG AS there are persons fighting evil conditions, there will be evil conditions to fight because the mind that believes in two powers is still creating conditions of good and evil. Only when we withdraw power from them, when we cease fighting them, will these evil powers cease to be. The moment that you can be tempted to fight a person or a sin or a disease, you are engaged in a battle that, in the end, will destroy you. Why? Because in and of itself, it has no power, but you are giving it the power against yourself. We may be confronted with evidence of misunderstanding, hate, envy, jealousy, or malice. What difference does it make? It's an appearance. And right where the appearance would seem to be, God is. God is. God is. God is. God is all that we deal with. We do not deal with beliefs, with persons, or with conditions. We deal only with the word "God." In illustrating this, I have brought to your attention these beliefs which appear to us as appearances, which ordinarily we would seek to overcome through God, through treatment, and prayer. But don't make that mistake. Don't try to overcome material law, mental law, moral law, any law. Always recognize that you are dealing with one law. Anything else may be there as an appearance, just as 2 x 2 is 5 may pop up in your checkbook some month, but that doesn't mean you have to believe it. It isn't true, and you don't have to work against it. You have to merely recognize that 2 x 2 is 4, and the 5 goes of its own accord. Don't fight that 5! Don't try to overcome it. Don't set up mental warfare against it. Just recognize 4, and 5 will disappear of its own accord. As you recognize spiritual law as the only law, all other claims of law disappear. So it is that we in The Infinite Way have left behind the theological belief that there is a God-power that does things to error or evil, a God-power that fights the devil or fights sin or fights disease, and we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 6.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:06- 103K
Find Similar Documents
God Formed Us For His Glory: Chapter 11, Infinite Uncircumscribed Being
- Chapter Eleven Infinite Uncircumscribed Being Most persons, regardless of their religious background, have the idea that God's grace, God's blessing, or the givingness of God is dependent on some thing. Often it has been taught that the receiving of God's benefits is dependent on our obedience to the Ten Commandments or to church rules, regular attendance in church, taking communion, fasting, sacrificing, tithing, being grateful, or having faith. Releasing God An important part of our work is releasing God in the sense of realizing that we do not need God for anything except for God to be God, which God always is. We stop looking to God to do something for us now or in the future, since whatever God does, God has been doing from everlasting to everlasting. God never changes. God never inaugurates something now; He could not heal us now; He could not heal us tomorrow. We come to this awareness through the progressive unfoldment of Infinite Way principles. First, must come the realization that God is not a withholding God; therefore, if God is not a withholding God, God cannot be a giving God, because giving something now would imply having withheld it up to now. In God there is no such thing as giving or withholding: there is only God being God. But God is being God eternally; God has been God eternally. Our function is not to reach out to God as if we wanted something of God, but rather to tune in to God as if we had been disconnected, and as if we are now reconnecting ourselves with God. Then, another step to help us gain this awareness is to see that God is responsible for the rising and the setting of the sun, and that these are not dependent on anything that man does or does not do. God is responsible for the laws of nature, which are constantly in operation, whether or not man does anything to deserve or be worthy of them. What God is, God is, regardless of man. God's rain falls "on the just and the unjust,"1 and there is no such thing as God's blessings being ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...inite Uncircumscribed Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:33- 118K
Find Similar Documents
Invisible Supply: Chapter 4, Overcoming Our Sense of Separation from God
- ... It has no more power to discriminate saint from sinner than the law of gravity can discriminate a one-dollar object from a thousand-dollar object. However, one cannot violate the law of God without producing discords-not because God withholds His Grace or because He is punishing the sinner, but because by violating the law of God we withhold ourselves from Grace. "Though your sins be scarlet, you are white as snow." The Master said to the thief on the cross, "I will take you into Paradise with me tonight." That was not a very long punishment for the crime, was it? Mary Magdalene's sins were forgiven as soon as she repented and indicated that her sins were behind her. Throughout the New Testament you will not find that Jesus ever held anyone in bondage for sinning. "Neither do I condemn thee. Go and sin no more lest a worse thing come upon you." Worse things befall you, not through God's punishing you, but because you reap what you sow. If you condemn yourself for a past fault-a sin of omission or commission- and believe that you are being punished for it, realize that the nature of God is Love and Forgiveness. God's memory of your sins is short. You are the only one bringing your past offenses to your consciousness. You cannot live yesterday. There are no yesterdays in your experience except the yesterdays you carry over in your memory. God is not doing it. You are. God Cannot Be Deceived Always remember that the Spirit is closer to you than breathing. You can't deceive It because It is your self, It is your intelligence, It is your wisdom, It is the very guiding instinct of your being. Therefore, you cannot steal something and think God will not see you. God is right at the center of your being, and the moment you violate a spiritual principle, you are out of tune with It. Acknowledge the Presence of God Many people near death or suffering from disease believe that in some way they have become separated from God. Then they struggle and strive to find God. That is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ense of Separation from God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:39- 116K
Find Similar Documents
Realization of Oneness: Chapter 12, Infinite Way Principles and World Affairs
- 12) Infinite Way Principles and World Affairs For the most part, those who have been interested in a metaphysical or spiritual approach to life have thought almost entirely in terms of what it would do for them. They have been primarily interested in whether it would heal them or their families, prosper them, or perhaps be the means of their finding some happiness, a home, or better health. I know that you realize that those days are past. It really is not going to make any great difference whether we are sick or well, rich or poor, happy or unhappy if the world does not stay in one piece. This, therefore, is the time when it should be comparatively easy to follow the Master and take no thought for our life because suddenly our life as an individual entity is of secondary importance. The thing that is of greatest importance now is the life of this world. We can very well accept the fact that if the world and its people survive we too will survive, but if they do not, what difference would it make if we were able to demonstrate our health and supply and the rest of the world were not around to help us enjoy it? Today everyone who is embarked on a spiritual way of life should have a concern far greater than the demonstration of his own daily harmony, and that concern should be for the survival of the entire world. The question now is: Is there a principle of life, a spiritual principle, that will govern the world? Is there a principle which can now be relied upon to prevent the destruction of civilization and the extermination of mankind? There can be no question but that an individual can rise so high above the immediate circumstances on earth as to make himself immune to the disasters of this world, but if that is all that is concerning him, he may find the world a lonesome place to be. This is the age in which everyone who is seriously on this Path should forget his own problems and be willing to lose his life, if need be, in the search for, and the demonstration ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...rinciples and World Affairs.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:05- 160K
Find Similar Documents
Realization of Oneness: Chapter 2, Release Man
- 2) Release Man Freedom is the normal and natural state of the son of God. The person who has realized his spiritual nature and identity and who lives by the Spirit cannot be limited in any way. There is no way to confine spiritual being. On the other hand, a human being can never escape slavery because slavery is the natural state of the human being. A human being is destined to be in slavery throughout all his days; he can never know freedom. Therefore, the only hope a human being has is to rise out of his humanhood. The dignity of the individual demands freedom-freedom from political and religious domination, wage domination, from every form of domination, including the most enslaving of all, the domination of the body. Even those who have achieved a measure of freedom from all other forms of slavery finally must acknowledge that they are slaves of the body. They live within its confines, and the body is a hard taskmaster. The body tells us when it is healthy and when it is sick. It tells us how much walking we can do and how much running. It tells us how many hours a day we can work. We seem to have no control over the body. It has control over us: we obey its mandates and are limited by its demands. This is not natural; this is not normal; and this is not the birthright of man. This condition has been imposed upon the human race that lives in ignorance of the principles that will make it free. Freedom, however, does not come by fighting evil. It does not come by overpowering error, nor does it come by appealing to some unknown God to come down out of the sky to rescue us from our vile prisons. It does not come through warfare of any name or nature. Freedom comes through enlightenment, and that enlightenment comes through opening our consciousness to that which cannot be seen, heard, tasted, touched, or smelled, to a Power invisible, a Power that does not war with other powers, but dissolves everything that appears in the nature of an enemy-whether without our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ess_ Chapter 2, Release Man.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:03- 154K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 9, The Christ Kingdom
- Chapter Nine The Christ Kingdom The principles of the Infinite Way are used to explain its purpose and function, but it is you and I who must embody these principles in order that they may come alive. What are the principles that we are to embody in our consciousness? What is the goal? Here is where the Infinite Way departs from concepts held by the rest of the world. Certainly, it is true that I do not want to be bad, but neither do I want to be merely humanly good: I want to be spiritually pure. I do not want to be poor; I do not want to be rich: I want only God's spiritual grace. I do not want to be sick; I do not want to be well: I want God to be the health of my countenance; I want God's health, not mine. So when I am helping others, I must try to realize that I am not trying to make my patients well, employed, or pure: I am trying to bring the realization of God's qualities to them. This goal is quite different from the goal of most persons when you realize within yourself that you are not trying to be healthy: you are trying to realize the health of God. You are not trying to be wealthy: you are trying to prove God's grace as your sufficiency-God's grace, not your wealth. You do not want to be bad, but you must be very careful that you do not think you are good because you will be setting yourself up as someone separate and apart from God. You seek only that God's good be expressed in and through you. You do not want to be miserly, but you do not want to be prodigal, either: you only want to be the instrument through which God's abundance is distributed. In other words, no qualities are to be ascribed to you: not the bad or negative qualities and not the good or positive qualities. You strive to understand and always feel that it is God's love that flows through you, and then it is pure. You want God's life to flow as your life, and then it is immortal. You want God's grace to flow through you, and then it is abundant. Always it must be God's, never yours. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 9, The Christ Kingdom.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:15- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 11, Three Principles and Their Practice
- ~ 11 ~ THREE PRINCIPLES AND THEIR PRACTICE Good Evening. We are working now with specific healing principles of the Infinite Way that we are to apply in meeting problems of our everyday living. I recognize, and you must recognize, that there is going to be some difficulty with this because most of you have other metaphysical backgrounds. The major principles of the Infinite Way are not only not the principles of your previous studies, but some of them may appear to be very contradictory. I know them many students do have difficulties when they try to mix the principles of their former teachings with these principles of the Infinite Way. They make no headway or have difficulties in their demonstration of harmony. Last night I explained one of these principles, and I hope I made very clear what is probably the most important principle in the message of the Infinite Way. God, being infinite, is never used for any purpose. God is never used for overcoming sin, disease, or death. In the Infinite Way, truth isn't used at all. The very opposite of that is the truth in the Infinite Way. We seek to become the instruments of truth; we open ourselves that we may be used by truth, by God, that God may manifest itself as our individual being, that God may live its life as us, that God may lead, guide, direct, govern, sustain, maintain, support, supply. And we are the instruments through which, as which, that takes place. You see, the wisdom of God is infinite-omniscient-therefore it is ridiculous to believe that we can tell God, ask God, or inform God of our needs. It is an impossibility for us to know more than God. It is only possible for us to know as much as God if we first know that we know nothing, and then let the wisdom of God manifest as our wisdom. In other words, as I indicated last night, you develop a receptive attitude for the inflow of inspiration as you would if you were a composer, an artist, or a writer, always keeping your attention within as a listening ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...inciples and Their Practice.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:51- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Infinite Individual Consciousness
- INFINITE INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS EVERY INDIVIDUAL in the world has within his own consciousness every invention, every art, that was ever known. We are the embodiment of every law in the universe. Through a process that we call learning we seem to be taking in a little metaphysics today, a little music tomorrow, while the truth is they are already a part of our consciousness, and our awareness of them is only unfolding by degrees. There are people who are able to grasp these things without going through the usual process. This is cosmic consciousness. This explains child prodigies. These people are universal Mind without any obstruction. The closer we get to the realization of this universal Consciousness, the more infinitude becomes apparent. Truth is not added to your consciousness - it comes through unfoldment. Our so-called human consciousness is a shutter. At one point, it admits very little light; opened a little more, it admits more light, and as we become more and more spiritually minded, the shutter opens wider and wider, until eventually all humanhood disappears. The full light then shines through. We cannot increase our consciousness, it is infinite already, but we can become aware of its infinite nature. You cannot add to yourself; you cannot even become more spiritual or more wise, but only more aware of the infinity of your own spiritual consciousness, in proportion as you realize that God is the Mind, substance and Spirit of you. We may come to the study of metaphysics or the Bible to gain better health; or we may come to the search for God to increase our wealth or business activity, but in the last analysis that is not what is going to happen to us. True, this increased sense of spiritual good will produce better humanhood, increase our ease in matter, and even prolong our human sense of existence a few years, but this is not the object of our study. The object of our search for Truth is to gain a spiritual sense of existence that we may live ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Individual Consciousness....pdf
Modified: 2017-08-23 12:43:28- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: November 1957, Gratitude
- CHAPTER ELEVEN: NOVEMBER Gratitude FEW people understand the nature of gratitude. Just what is gratitude? Are human beings capable of gratitude? Actually, we should not expect gratitude from a person, and if we do expect it, we shall be disappointed because gratitude is beyond the capacity of a human being. Many people believe that money and gratitude are synonymous, but in reality, they have no relationship to each other. There are times when money can be a symbol of gratitude, but it is a mistake to tie them together because gratitude goes far beyond money. For example, if we should ask a practitioner for help for a headache and attempted to express our gratitude in a monetary form, we might well believe that a nominal payment would be a sufficient expression of gratitude; but on the other hand, if we were healed of a cancer, we might feel that even if we took our last dollar and ran into debt besides, it would be a very small token of gratitude for such a healing. In both cases, we would be wrong, because gratitude for spiritual healing has no relationship at all to what has been healed. Spiritual healing can only come through a realization of God. It can only take place when an individual has so dedicated himself to spiritual living that he becomes a transparency through which God can act; and when the Spirit of God flows through an individual, that Spirit of God can heal the headache or the cancer. There should be no difference in the degree of gratitude in either case because our gratitude should not be merely for the healing of a headache or for the healing of a cancer. No, we should be grateful because we have been privileged to be a living witness to the fact that God is as available on earth today as He was two thousand years ago. How, then, can we be more grateful for the presence of God in one case than in another? The world at large does not have access to God because it has cut itself off from contact with God. Many people believe that if they go to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...m_ November 1957, Gratitude.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:09- 147K
Find Similar Documents