Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Salesmanship
- Salesmanship SCIENTIFIC CHRISTIANITY has revealed to human thought the present possibility of health and success. It has shown us how to think and live so as to individualize the power of Spirit, God, and how to utilize the laws of Mind with which to establish and maintain the harmony of mind, body and business. One of the outstanding facts learned through the study and application of Truth to human affairs concerns the subject of salesmanship. All our earthly experiences involve to some extent the ability to sell. Many are actively engaged in selling commodities or services as a means of earning a living. The understanding of Truth is of vital importance to these "ambassadors of trade," as salespeople are often called. We ordinarily think of selling as the disposition of goods or services to another for a sum of money or for some other form of trade. The best salesman is believed to be the one who can dispose of the most goods, or secure the highest prices for his product. These goals are attained in various ways, some of them ethical, others called "high-pressure salesmanship" which would not be considered in a business conducted according to the Golden Rule. The student of Truth would always be the most successful salesman if he rightly understood and applied the laws of Mind in his work. Christian scientific selling can never meet with failure. It knows no "bad seasons" or "rainy weather" or "unseasonable weather" or any other of the innumerable excuses or alibis that are frequently given instead of orders. The beginning of our understanding, or the starting point, is this: There is but one Mind, and this Mind is the Mind of individual man. Therefore the Mind of the buyer is the Mind of the seller; the Mind of the customer is the Mind of the storekeeper; the Mind of the designer, the manufacturer, the wholesaler, retailer and ultimate consumer is one and the same Mind, the ONLY Mind, individually expressed. The importance of this fundamental understanding ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...oel Goldsmith_ Salesmanship.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:14- 68K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 22, Home
- Having no qualities underived from Deity, you have no traits, characteristics, faults, or habits to overcome, destroy, or change. Indeed, you are now the all-inclusive activity of mind, life, love. This is true of you and of all men. It must be equally evident to you that a collection of boards and bricks, even when formed into a structure called a house, does not make a home. That which makes a home are the qualities of life which we carry into it. Atmosphere makes a home, and atmosphere is created by our thoughts, our consciousness. A joyous home is one expressing the joyous thought and activity of those within its walls. To build the right sense of home, to secure a right home, to demonstrate home, is to begin within yourself. Ask yourself some questions: "What qualities must I express that will turn a house into a home?" "What qualities constitute the ideal home?" Soon you will realize that cheerfulness, joyousness, cleanliness, orderliness, brightness, hope, consideration of others, forgiveness, co-operation, beauty, grace, love, etc., these qualities expressed by individuals constitute and form that which makes a home. As you express these in your daily thoughts and acts, you are building within yourself home, and this will externalize itself in what we call our home. Whatever you wish to externalize or experience, must first be built within consciousness, then "consciousness constructs a better body"-a better home. Regarding civic duties, as students of truth we should be interested in city, state, and country, as well as international affairs. We should strive for betterment in every department of human existence, but I do not think (from our standpoint) that we are justified in directly engaging in crusades. Our spiritual and financial support, plus the moral help we give by attendance at meetings, is as far as it seems wise to go. We should keep our interests free from anything that impedes our spiritual growth. A period should be reserved each day to work ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...rly Years_ Chapter 22, Home.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:46- 87K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Introduction
- Introduction H ISTORY SHOWS THAT the twentieth century was a time of both national and international upheaval marked by grave military, political, and social conflict of far-reaching consequences. While governments around the globe struggled at great cost with these overwhelming challenges, a few spiritually-illuminated men and women turned to a means of peaceful resolution, not on the level of strife, but on the level of grace and truth. One such enlightened individual was Joel Goldsmith: the mystic, healer, and teacher who traveled the world in the 1950s and 1960s revealing spiritual principles that he found to be practical and effective not only in political and social arenas, but also in the areas of health, relationships, finances, and business. Joel was not imparting theory, philosophy, or dogma, but divine laws proven to be universal and eternal, for the crises of his day were not unique to one generation or to one country. The issues facing the world in the twentieth century existed for eons and continue to confront us in the present age because, as Joel discovered, these are not problems in time and space, but discords in human consciousness. Joel never denied the difficulties of human existence, nor did he ignore the responsibilities of family life, career, or citizenship. He demonstrated a direct and successful way of dealing with our mortal challenges while fulfilling our secular obligations. Without overreacting to headlines, emergency calls, or personal commitments, Joel dealt with one demand after another-spiritually. Contrary to humanity's efforts to survive by force, Joel revealed a means to thrive by grace. This was a path to true freedom and lasting peace that was critically dependent on its starting point, which for Joel was always God. This God, however, was not a deity awaiting us in the hereafter. Nor was this God a supreme genie granting our prayerful wishes. Joel's constant and consistent starting point was the God of individual ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...rnment of Eden_Introduction.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:05- 34K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 12, Fishers of Men
- ~ 12 ~ "FISHERS OF MEN" In spiritual literature and in Scripture, there are many references which might indicate to you that you must change your way of life or you must do something in order to earn the grace of God. Remember what I say to you now: The responsibility is not on your shoulders, nor is it on any other person's shoulders. Therefore, I ask you to refrain from all indulgence in criticism or judgment of everyone in the world, and more particularly judgment, criticism, condemnation, and belittling of yourself and your own understanding because the responsibility to improve yourself is not on your shoulders; it is on the shoulders of the Christ. Rest more in the realization of the Christ as that which is leading, guiding, and directing you. Never believe that the saints and sages and seers of the world, by some great act of their own will, became saints, sages, and seers, because it is not true. Even in this age, we have seen enough of the beloved spiritual lights- teachers, leaders, practitioners-to know that they, by their own will or grace, never gave up their personal sense of life to become spiritual teachers or leaders, but rather that the grace of God pulled them out of the business world or out of their housekeeping duties, and made of them "fishers of men." The Master walked the hillside and as he chose each disciple, his promise was, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." 1 Perhaps you think that there were men of high understanding because they obeyed. No, they had no power not to obey. They had no more power to resist the Master than you and I have right now. When the Master says, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men," you will obey. You have already obeyed in the sacrifice of time, money, effort, study, and meditation that you are making. You have already shown that you have no capacity to resist the activity of the Christ in your consciousness, even if you had the will or the desire, which, of course, you do not have. But ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 12, Fishers of Men.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:42- 89K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Prayer
- PRAYER SHALL I TELL YOU why there is so much lack of demonstration in metaphysical circles? It is because there is a dependence on statements of Truth - affirmations and denials - instead of an effort to make an actual contact or realization of God- being. Talk about God - Truth - wholeness - health will not do. Talk less. Pray more. What is prayer? Is it some word or message you send to God? No. Prayer is the Word of God which comes to you when you are silent enough, still enough, expectant enough to receive it. This Word of God which you receive in Silence becomes visible as health, harmony, success, peace, joy and dominion where all the world may see it. Until every one of us can report that we receive the Word of God continuously, that we can almost at will feel the divine Presence, there will be need of these reminders. From this point on, there is very little need of our learning more Truth. You already know what God is; what the Christ is; what man is; and you know the nature of error and how it claims to operate. At least you can pass an oral or written examination on these subjects and get no less than 100 per cent. Every one of us is intellectually clear on these major points of metaphysics. If any of you doubt your complete understanding of these metaphysical truths, then hurry up and get yourself letter perfect in them: God - Christ - man - error. The next step is prayer, or treatment. I prefer to think of treatment as a conscious realization, through argument, of the truth about God, Christ, man and error; and prayer as the spiritual consciousness of Truth through Silence. In other words, treatment would deal with the letter, or argument, leading up to realization, and prayer would be the pure Silence and receptivity to the spiritual consciousness of harmony. You understand, of course, that ordinarily in metaphysics treatment and prayer are synonymous, but that I have made this distinction for myself. To me, prayer is a state of receptivity in which ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tation of Scripture_ Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:17- 80K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 13, Messiah
- ~ 13 ~ MESSIAH FOR A FEW MINUTES I WANT TO REPEAT a little of what I talked about this afternoon. This afternoon I was in Vallejo and visited and talked to some students there. Strangely enough, I talked on a subject about which I had spoken here last week and I never said a word that I said last week. Nor did any of the thoughts go in the same direction. I spoke on spiritual freedom and before I was through here that afternoon, the whole thing had turned itself into grace. But today the whole talk took an entirely different turn. I would like to repeat some of it now, because I think it is an important thing for us consciously to remember. The point to which I refer is this: For centuries Jesus had been foreseen and promised as the coming Messiah. The Hebrews had been eagerly watching for his coming; they had been scanning the skies for years for this new Messiah. They were, of course, practically slaves to Caesar and they were not too happy with their church administration, which was also holding them under too tight a bond. So, with the coming of the Messiah, they thought that they would be freed of a lot of these tithes to the church and ten per cent taxes to Caesar and an extra five per cent for good measure and an extra twenty per cent on holidays. That financial taxation was a pretty serious thing. You know, it was almost like taxation without representation. In addition to that, of course, they did not have too pleasant a life under Caesar. So naturally, their expectancy was that when the Messiah came, he would certainly dethrone Caesar and make them a free people and give them their Holy Land in which to live as a free people. That probably was the uppermost thing in their minds. They would own all that territory about Palestine and the Holy Land and be enabled to live free of Rome. They would also be free of their Pharisees and Sadducees and be economically and politically and nationally a free people. Every indication is that is what they were expecting ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...sition_ Chapter 13, Messiah.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:21- 67K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 10, Love Seeketh Not Her Own
- ~ 10 ~ LOVE SEEKETH NOT HER OWN Love has in it no desire for return or recompense, so if what you do has in it any desire for reward, recognition, or gratitude, it becomes trade, not love. When two persons who say they love each other take the attitude, "You do this, and I'll do that," that is not love. That is trade. Love is what a person feels and does without a single trace of hope or desire for reward. The best way to explain it is to think of what you do for your children. You certainly have no thought of doing for them, hoping for their gratitude. No, you do for your children because that is your function as parents. If you could extend that same attitude to all, you might very well find you would wipe all discord out of your human relationships. Does not the discord come because you expect something in return for what you do? In that expectation you are violating spiritual law. Everything that you are entitled to in life must come from God, not from man- everything. It should be your privilege and joy to do every job that is given you to the best of your ability, not for the reward, not for recognition, not for gratitude, but because the job is to be done, and the only way you can fulfill yourself is to do it to the best of your ability. Your reward, your compensation, and your life's harmony come from God, not from man. So if anyone withholds gratitude, recognition, or reward, he is not cheating you. He is cheating himself. Gratitude is one of the great attributes of love, and a person who is not filled with gratitude is devoid of love which means that he is devoid of God. A person who is not grateful, is not cooperative, or who does not share is never cheating the other person. He is cheating only himself. As far as you and I are concerned, what we do should be done for the fulfillment of God as ourselves. An employee who goes into his place of business, forgets about the boss, forgets about the amount of his salary, and does his job to the utmost of his ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...0, Love Seeketh Not Her Own.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:55- 69K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 2, God
- ~ 2 ~ GOD "Spiritual sense is a conscious, constant capacity to understand God." 1 Many have tried to "explain" God, but so far none (to my knowledge) have ever succeeded. God must be individually experienced. Because of generations of belief in material being we seem to be far removed from God, and only as we live in "prayer without ceasing," that is, dwelling on the thought of God, will it be possible for the experience, or revelation, of God to come to us. Most people either believe in, or believe that there is a God, but this is far from knowing, far from the assurance and the consciousness of the presence of God. Spiritual sense alone reveals it, and spiritual sense is developed through the conscious dwelling in thought of God, and what it is, and where we find it. We should also dwell on the subject: What is man? We are familiar with the statement from the Greek Temple, "Know thyself." Well, close your eyes, get quiet inside, and ask yourself: "What am I?" If arms, legs, head, and brain are not me but mine, who is this possessor of the body and mind? If I think, who and what is the thinker? These thoughts lead to the understanding of God. Do we think often enough of what the word "God" means to us? Not what it means to our friends or neighbors, but what it means to us! Man is the manifestation of God, and how can we know man until we know that of which he is constituted. The manifestation of God is not a mortal, a material being. God can be manifest only in its nature, character, and quality. Therefore, the attempt to heal or enrich a human cannot be the way to manifest God. As we dwell in thought on what the nature of divine being is, we behold man, the manifestation of divine being, and there we find the infinity, eternality, and harmony of our own being. "Therefore the world (mankind) knoweth us not, because it knew him (divine being) not." 2 God manifests itself as love, life, being; and man is that love, life, and being made manifest. "Ye shall know the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Early Years_ Chapter 2, God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:40- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 30, War
- ~ 30 ~ WAR Of all the so-called errors on earth, war is the belief most likely to ensnare the Christian Scientist into accepting an illusion as reality. The reason for this is that there always seem to be two sides; one on the right side defending "democracy," "modern society," "Christianity," "freedom," while the other, on the wrong side, would destroy these precious gifts from God to man (which gifts, it would seem, God is not able to preserve without the help of defenders). I am not referring exclusively to either of the "World Wars" because these same conditions have existed in all wars throughout the ages. Christian Scientists cannot say, "A thousand shall fall at thy (my) side, and ten thousand at thy (my) right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee (me)," 1 unless they see through the snare of a right side and a wrong side and realize that there is no such condition as right and wrong because there is no war, no error, no sin, disease or death: God is all; God is omnipresent; God is the only life and being, and in this life which is one there can be no conflicting forces, energies, or desires. Christian Science teachers and practitioners throughout the world, daily assure their students and their patients that there is no disease; that the appearance of such is but the false testimony of human sense; that they are not to fear error nor believe in its reality or power. They are taught and they teach that God is the only mind. Shall they not be consistent and remember that, as this divine mind is the universal mind, and therefore the mind of individual being, there is no lack of intelligence and love in this mind and therefore these qualities of love, intelligence, harmony and peace are the actual and only states of being here and now, regardless of human testimony to the contrary. Only in the degree that we, as disciples of truth and love, maintain in our consciousness this truth of being, shall we be lifted up so as to "draw all men unto me," and thereby ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...arly Years_ Chapter 30, War.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:48- 87K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: December 29, 1963, Into the New Year
- INTO THE NEW YEAR December 29, 1963 GOOD MORNING. In meditating this morning, we will bear in mind that the subject is of course the New Year. We are looking into a new year. We are still back here in 1963, but we are at the tail end of it and we are looking into 1964, and then waiting to see if the prophecies will come true. There is a better way: Let us look into 1964 and, with our inner ears open and our inner eyes open, receive light, wisdom, and guidance for this that we are looking into. In other words, in order that we have a higher wisdom than human wisdom, a higher protection than bombs, a higher guidance than human prophecy, the only place from which all this can come is from the kingdom of God within you, individually as well as collectively. The kingdom of God is within you and it can reveal 1964 to you far better than any of our prophets can prophesy. It can give you a wisdom with which to live the year. It really can illumine and inspire your wisdom in lifting it up into a higher measure. So, for the next fifteen minutes, we are going to look straight ahead into 1964 and let the spirit illumine it, not plan it, illumine it. Then, as you keep up this program each day and certainly preferably early in the morning, you will find that whatever illumination comes to you through this experience will be revealed to you each day. You will have a guidance and a protection from within you. We will start now looking into 1964 without any wishes or hopes, just with the realization that whatever is to be in 1964 is to be determined by this spirit of God within us.
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...29, 1963, Into the New Year.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:10- 58K
Find Similar Documents