The Art of Spiritual Healing: Chapter XIV, Under the Shadow of the Almighty
- CHAPTER XIV UNDER THE SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble. PROVERBS 3:23 Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that is with him: for there be more with us than with him: With him is an arm of flesh; but with us in the Lord our God to help us, and to fight our battles. II CHRONICLES 32:7, 8 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour, thou savest me from violence. II SAMUEL 22:3 The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. PSALM 18:2 As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the Lord is round about his people from henceforth even for ever. PSALM 125:2 For I, saith the Lord, will be unto her a wall of fire round about, and will be the glory in the midst of her. ZECHARIAH 2:5 The Bible is filled with promises of safety to those who live consciously in the presence of God. It testifies to a God who is available in every experience and in every circumstance of our existence; but it does not promise the world immunity from disaster-from earthquake, floods, or fire. As long as human beings are living in this world, they will experience some of the cataclysmic effects of the world's materialistic thinking. But the promise is clear that if there is famine, if there are floods, if there is fire, war, or bombs, those who live in God will walk through them, they will not in any wise touch them. Why is this? Why should they be singled out to be saved from the world's disasters? Most churchgoing people assume that these biblical promises of safety apply to them, that they are of the household of God and are the ones to whom these evils will not come nigh. But strangely enough when war and disaster come, these very persons who have led good and upright lives ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... the Shadow of the Almighty.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:34- 120K
Find Similar Documents
The Contemplative Life: Chapter 8, Contemplation Develops the Beholder
- ~ 8 ~ CONTEMPLATION DEVELOPS THE BEHOLDER Many times the young student is likely to believe that the spiritual or contemplative way of life is a life without discipline, but the very opposite of this is true, because there is no life that requires greater discipline than does the spiritual life. Life, as it is lived by most persons, is more or less undisciplined because little or no attempt is made by the individual to control the nature of his thinking. He is prone to accept everything that he sees or hears, usually rejoicing over what he thinks is good and moaning over what he believes to be evil, so that seldom does anyone ask himself, "Is this as good as it appears to be?" or, "Is this as evil as it appears to be?" Rather are appearances accepted in accordance with human judgment. In the spiritual way of life, however, that cannot be done because the entire spiritual life is based on the rejection of appearances. Judge Not After Appearances Commonly accepted metaphysics today teaches the rejection and denial of the appearance of evil and the realization of its unreal nature. But in the truly spiritual life, we have to go beyond merely rejecting evil as error because we also have to deny reality to that which appears as good; we have to unsee the humanly good appearances to the same degree that we unsee the humanly evil ones. Spiritually discerned, there is neither good nor evil, and it is on this premise that the entire spiritual universe is built. The discipline on this path lies in rejecting every appearance, whether it is good or evil, in the realization that whatever it is that is of God is invisible to the human senses. "Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. 1 . . . Neither do I condemn thee." 2 In other words, there is no sitting in judgment on what appears to be evil, but neither is there any acceptance of the appearance of good: there is a recognition that the only real is the Invisible-the spiritual-and that is something ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation Develops the Beholder.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:39- 146K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 3, Treatment - Knowing the Truth
- ~ 3 ~ TREATMENT: KNOWING THE TRUTH Good evening. The other evening we started by saying that as a human being you are a pendulum. You are acted upon, and whichever way thoughts fly in the air they move you. If there is pessimism or fear or danger in the air, you feel downhearted, discouraged, blue and fearful. If optimism, boom and prosperity are in the air, you feel inflated. If there is infection and contagion in the air, the first thing you know, you have flu or grippe. These things ought not to be because you were given dominion over everything between the sky and the bottom of the ocean-you were given dominion by the grace of God. But instead of exercising dominion, you wake up in the morning, get dressed, have breakfast, and run off to work leaving your minds a perfect blank for anybody to operate on or in, for anything to influence by whichever way the wind blows. This is why the human world experiences the things it does. You know it has been demonstrated that those who are willing to take the driver's seat in their minds and govern their own thinking, who decide what they wish to think and for how long a time they wish to think it, those people have some dominion over their own lives. We have been taught how to do that. I'm going to give you a concrete illustration of how the power of thought acting on us influences us. There is a minister who recently wrote a book on the effect of prayer on plants. He wrote this book after several years of conducting experiments that others had also tried through the years, and the results of his experiments and those of the others are always the same. He discovered this: If you take a plant, place it on a table, and have one, two, or three people sit in front of it and address it with what you might call prayer or treatment, in a few days the plant will grow at least four inches beyond the normal growth of that species. They love the plant, tell the plant that God created it, that it is a child of God, that it is fed and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...eatment - Knowing the Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:49- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 8, When We Spread Fear, Rumor, ...
- VIII when we spread fear, rumor, hysteria, and mass confusion O N EVERY HAND mankind is gripped by fear in the face of nerve-shattering world conditions, and those of us who have been able, even in a measure, to see the unreal nature of the evil rampant in the world have not only the responsibility of releasing people from their fears but, in releasing them from their fears, preventing the greater tragedy that their fears may bring upon them. People do not fear because they are cowards; they fear because they are gripped by universal hypnotism that makes them act in ways foreign to their nature. It is mass hysteria, having its foundation in ignorance. The evils that befall us are not in God or man but rather in the conditioning that we have received through the ignorance that has been foisted upon us from time immemorial. In other words, every time that we give power to a person, a thing, or a condition, our consciousness is showing forth its conditioning, and to that extent, we become victims of it. It might come as a surprise to see how easy it would be for some person, either for a specific purpose or an experiment, to show us how quickly we could be made to distrust one another, and then, in the end, fear one another. It has been done over and over and over again. It is a very simple thing to condition the minds of persons who are not alert so that they unthinkingly accept the opinions, thoughts, and beliefs of others and respond robot- like to individual suggestions or mass hysteria. If we listened to all the propaganda and the opinions of others, very soon we would be fighting not only with our families but with our neighbors and the whole world. The question is this: To whom do we give allegiance? To whom do we surrender our minds and our thoughts? It is very difficult for persons who have not been taught the value of meditation to turn within to the Presence for Its guidance, instruction, and wisdom. Instead, they rely on opinions gathered from newspapers, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 8.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:06- 84K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: April 1958, The Message of Easter I Have Over Come The World
- ... It is essential that we do not hasten past this unfoldment until we have thoroughly learned that our health, our supply, and the harmony of our human relationships are not dependent on human effort alone or human wisdom alone or on physical power, as we have believed because of our experience in the human scene; but rather that every word of God, entertained in our consciousness, eventually becomes the harmony of our daily experience. Now we learn the true meaning of Jesus' words, "I have meat to eat that ye know not of." 6 Understanding the word of God, and abiding in this Word and letting this Word abide in us, we have an inner substance, an inner source of good, an inner healer and saviour- the meat that the world knows not of. We crucify human fears and doubts when, instead of rushing about madly and, with worry and concern, undertaking the tasks of each day, we can relax in the realization: "I am the bread and the wine and the water. All those things the world feverishly seeks through anxious thought and much physical labor are already mine." We relax in God's assurance, "Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine." 7 Here too, is crucifixion in another form, the crucifixion of unrest, distrust, and burdensome labor. Pondering the Master's message of forgiveness so often repeated in the Gospels-the message of forgiving "seventy times seven" all those who abuse us, and forgiving even to the extent of praying for those who persecute us and deal unjustly with us-we further learn that, in the degree in which we put this message into practice, do we crucify our hate, prejudice, bigotry, and our fear of our fellow-man. Meditating deeply upon the message of the Master, which reveals that it was his mission, the Christ-mission, to heal the sick, raise the dead, open the eyes of the blind, and open the ears of the deaf, we realize that this He, who says, "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. 8 . . . I am with you alway, even unto the end of the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... I Have Over Come The World.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:57- 149K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: States and Stages of Consciousness
- States and Stages of Consciousness Even though for many years the metaphysical world has believed that mental and spiritual healing are synonymous, actually they are as far apart as are material and spiritual healing. Mental and material healing are much the same except that they operate on different levels of consciousness. The mental is a little higher and finer than the material, but essentially they are two strata of the same belief. On the other hand, to use the terms, "mentally spiritual" or "spiritually mental," is exactly the same as saying, "a godly devil." The spiritual and the mental are just that far apart, not that one is right and the other is wrong, but they function on such different levels of consciousness that they are as far apart as the poles. The present day mixture of the spiritual and the mental stems from the beginning of modern mental practice, which originated in the last quarter of the eighteenth century in Germany with Franz Anton Mesmer, a reputable and learned physician, who named his discovery animal magnetism. He it was who discovered that there is a vital fluid-invisible and mental-which passes from the practitioner to the patient and which acts hypnotically through suggestion. One of Mesmer's students, the French mesmerist, Charles Poyen, migrated to Portland, Maine, and there found an apt student named Phineas P. Quimby to whom he taught mesmerism, then known as hypnotism, or animal magnetism, and for some time these two engaged in this activity primarily for entertainment purposes. Mr. Quimby, later known as Dr. Quimby, however, had a young patient, or student, who worked as his assistant and who developed the faculty, under hypnotism, of discerning the mental causes of the physical diseases of people coming to him on the platform. Dr. Quimby, then, by recognizing the power of the mental thought, erased the disease. As a result of some remarkable healings which took place, he gave up the entertainment phase of his work and became ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...and Stages of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:21- 156K
Find Similar Documents
The Journey Back to the Father's House: Chapter 8, Special Lesson on Healing Work
- Chapter Eight Special Lesson on Healing Work Those who have not spent considerable time practicing spiritual principles will at times forget them, and thereby delay their experience of good. And what is it they will forget? They will forget that they are not to look to one another for anything, and that includes husbands and wives, parents and children. The very earliest time possible in the morning, we open ourselves to God's grace and consciously realize that we live, not by might or by power, but by the spirit. We live, not by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God; neither do we live by the favor of individuals, or the good will of individuals; nor do we live by our place or position in life. We live by the grace of God. Our Good Flows From the Center of Our Being If we are to live in the mystical consciousness, we must abide in the realization that our expectancy is always and only from the spiritual source within us. We must abide in the truth that "I have meat to eat that ye know not of," 1 and then be careful not to look to a person, a thing, an organization, or a relationship for it. When we thoroughly understand and realize this oneness, as if there were only one person in the world, God appearing as individual being, our good must flow from within us, not to us from anyone, but from us and through us. Our good may come to us through people, but there is no law that says it has to. There is no law or rule that says we must derive our income from our work. Within us must be the complete realization that our manna can fall from the sky or, if necessary, ravens can bring us food. Our supply can come through a thousand different directions. Therefore, we need not look to anyone. Of course, there must always be that sense of gratitude to those through whom it comes, but not the feeling that it comes from them: it comes through them; but it comes from the center of our being. I is infinite, and there is nothing and no one outside of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...cial Lesson on Healing Work.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:24- 126K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 14, God Is Not Mocked
- ~ 14 ~ GOD IS NOT MOCKED THE REAL PURPOSE OF SPIRITUAL TEACHING is not merely to show students how to make the demonstration of daily living and daily harmony, nor even the demonstration of peace and health in a human way. There is something more important in life than making the organs of the body a little healthier, or prolonging physical life a few years, or increasing a person's income by ten or even a thousand dollars a week. The real import of The Infinite Way is that we realize that life is Spirit and therefore our individual expression of that life must be spiritual and our entire existence show forth the harmonies and perfections of Spirit, and not merely physical health and wealth. Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. Galatians 6:7,8 "Be not deceived; God is not mocked." Judging the world from the evidence of the five physical senses, we would have to admit that God is mocked. Surely, God never planned for Its creation any such scenes or experiences as we witness in the human world, and so, judging by human experience and from what we see about us of sin, disease, wars and depressions, it is practically impossible to believe that God is not mocked. "For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth." 1 How can we reconcile that statement with the statistical fact that not only are our highways filled with death every day, but that we send the flower of our youth off to war to make sure they get killed even faster than would be the normal incidence in traffic accidents? Yes, in the human scene, God is mocked. Anyone who has ever spent any amount of time in healing work-spiritual, mental or medical-or with those suffering from cancer or tuberculosis would certainly be tempted to agree that God is mocked. Yet Scripture says that God is not mocked. It also says ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 14, God Is Not Mocked.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:45- 136K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 15, Seek the Answer Within
- ~ 15 ~ SEEK THE ANSWER WITHIN AS I TOLD YOU BEFORE, we are not here to have a good time; we are not here just to sit back and listen to a lecture on truth or to listen to a talk on truth. This is really classwork. This is really where you are supposed to go out knowing all that is to be known about the subject. I asked you, when we began, to release me from a sense of time and you have, so if it is necessary to stay here, that is all right with me. I want you to know that, so when we are through you do not feel that you are leaving with a lot of unanswered questions. There will be some unanswered questions in your thought and that is natural, because most of the answers are going to come to you in the weeks to come through your meditation. One of the things that you will learn here is that answers come through meditation. You can take almost anything you want into meditation and get the answer. You see, we know absolutely nothing about the meaning of the word God or Christ or truth or light or grace. What little we know we have read in dictionaries and books that men have written, and are merely faint tracings of tremendously deep subjects. Now, the individual who has had an unfoldment or revelation on some spiritual truth may be said to know that spiritual truth-at least as much as concerns that particular unfoldment or demonstration. But, when that individual comes to tell you about it, it is very apt to be secondhand except in some moments of our illumined consciousness when his impartation might reveal quite a bit to you. But to be on the safe side, let us assume for this moment that we know little or nothing about the Christ. Of course we know this much, that the Christ isn't a man. We know that the Christ isn't an historical figure; we know that the Christ wasn't born at a particular time or in a particular country or of a particular nation. We know that before Abraham was, the Christ is-and we know that even unto the end of the world, the Christ will be. We ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 15 Seek the Answer Within.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:21- 90K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 11, The Fourth-Dimensional Consciousness
- ~ 11 ~ THE FOURTH-DIMENSIONAL CONSCIOUSNESS Working and living with a message such as The Infinite Way and being on a path of this nature, there comes a time when a transition is made from living a normal human life in which we make decisions and accept responsibilities to one in which we become aware that we are not alone, but that there is Something else. Whatever it may be or however the experience comes to us, we have a feeling that Somebody or Something is very close to us, governing our life. We find ourselves going in directions that we had not thought about or planned, and perhaps doing a work that we had never before dreamed of. There is always an awareness of the Presence going before us to "make the crooked places straight," 1 walking beside us as protection or behind us as a rear guard. Whether we feel It as a Presence or as Something very personal will probably vary with each one of us. To me, It is always a Presence or a Spirit, and not often but sometimes when It speaks to me, It is an audible voice. Most of the time, however, It is just an awareness. After enough years had gone by in my life, it was certainly clear to me that I was not a writer, and yet a book came forth, out of which the whole activity of The Infinite Way was born. So it must be evident that there is Something that gave me this message, these principles, and that brought forth publishers and money enough to carry The Infinite Way around the world. That Something is behind the message of The Infinite Way, and I am merely the instrument through which It is functioning. Eventually, Spirit makes Itself evident to all those who work faithfully with these spiritual principles. It does not duplicate through them the work of The Infinite Way because that would not be intelligent. But It has been responsible for the editing of these writings and for raising up teachers, who have felt the Spirit to the extent that they also are but instruments through which the Spirit is projecting The ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...h-Dimensional Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:24- 119K
Find Similar Documents