Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Spiritual Sense of Truth
- SPIRITUAL SENSE OF TRUTH Psm. 127:1 - "Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it. " REGARDLESS OF the human effort we put into any enterprise, if it is not backed by spiritual awareness, all we can expect from it is limited fruitage. There is a vast difference between statements of truth and Truth itself. A statement of truth is what you declare; Truth itself is what is imparted to you from within your being. Statements of truth are read in books; Truth itself is what you discern between the lines. Shankara, probably 800 B.C., wrote: "If the supreme truth remains unknown, the study of scripture is fruitless; the study of the letter alone is useless; the Spirit must be sought out by intuition." The human mind claims to be a builder, to be a power, claims that it can do things for us. For generations the world has gone on trying to build humanly, and all it has accomplished is limitation. To insure the safety, security and prosperity of our existence, we have to come into the consciousness - the conscious awareness - of the presence of God. Without this awareness, it is just as erroneous to make statements like, "God will help me; God is everpresent and does help me," as it is to forget to make those statements. The statements themselves have no power. The human mind making such statements does not even believe in them. There must be an actual awareness of the presence of God. This must be felt within your own being. "I can of mine own self do nothing" is as high a declaration as can be made. It shows forth the absolute nothingness of even a great man like Jesus. "My doctrine is not mine, but His that sent me"-"The Father within me, He doeth the works"-"Except the Lord build the house"-there must be an actual consciousness of the presence of this infinite divine spiritual Power acting within or really as your being. In Acts 1:21 to 26, we come to a place where Judas has committed suicide and a successor is going to be appointed to fill his ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...e_ Spiritual Sense of Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:19- 93K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Meditation: Chapter VI, The Earth Is the Lord's
- CHAPTER VI THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. PSALMS 24:1 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet. PSALMS 8:3-6 In the contemplation of God's universe, the mind is centered in God. As we quietly, gently, and peacefully observe God in action on earth as It is in heaven, we are witnessing the glory of God. Practicing this form of meditation or contemplation, day in and day out, will bring us to a state of consciousness where discursive thought slows down and finally stops. One of these days, as we are engaged in this spiritual activity of watching God at work, a second of silence will occur in which there is no thought of any kind. In that split second, the activity or presence of God will make Itself known to us. From that moment on, we know that God is closer than breathing, nearer than hands and feet, and that the kingdom of God is within us. Out of the void and darkness, out of the stillness of our consciousness, the Spirit of God moves to create for us our world of form: I have come to this quiet hour to contemplate God and the things of God. Every blessing upon this earth is an emanation or an expression of God and God's law: the sun that warms us and the rain that feeds our plants and trees. The stars, the tides, and the moon all fulfill functions of God and yet appear as blessings to man. It could have been no accident that God hung the sun up in the sky, millions of miles away from the earth, just far enough away to give us the proper amount of warmth and the right amount of coolness. God really is the intelligence of this universe-an ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...VI, The Earth Is the Lord's.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:29- 82K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Business
- Business Business always seems to be dependent on certain conditions, circumstances and seasons, or on the good will of other persons. In the human picture business is affected by weather, finances, changing modes and fads, but turning from this picture we find that in reality business is the continuous activity of Principle; that this activity is infinite and harmonious, and that it is maintained and sustained by Principle itself. Christian metaphysics, revealing the spiritual nature of business, aids us to lift our thoughts regarding all commercial activity to the place where the true idea of business is apprehended. Every idea, and your business is an idea of Mind, is supported by the animating Principle of the idea. "When an idea begins to work in thought, it furnishes all that is necessary for its equipment, establishment and nourishment." -Adam Dickey BUSINESS IS AN INFINITE activity, is forever without limit, and is never dependent on person, place or thing. Right where you are, business is. It is a result of and resident in individual consciousness, because individual consciousness is the universal Consciousness individually expressed. If we go about our tasks doing those things that lie nearest at hand, with faith that there is an ever-present, invisible power which the Hebrews call Emmanuel, or "God with us," and which Christians call the Christ, our work will always bear fruit. This omnipresent and omnipotent power is the Presence of God prospering all right endeavor. It is only the degree in which we believe that it is either some personal effort of our own or another's, or that it is the good will of humans that prospers us, that causes apparent failure or lessening of fruitful activity. The prophet Isaiah clearly reminds us to "cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of?" The point to remember is that at all times, and in all places, there is an invisible and omnipotent power acting to support every right ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...of Joel Goldsmith_ Business.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:12- 81K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: December 29, 1963, Into the New Year
- INTO THE NEW YEAR December 29, 1963 GOOD MORNING. In meditating this morning, we will bear in mind that the subject is of course the New Year. We are looking into a new year. We are still back here in 1963, but we are at the tail end of it and we are looking into 1964, and then waiting to see if the prophecies will come true. There is a better way: Let us look into 1964 and, with our inner ears open and our inner eyes open, receive light, wisdom, and guidance for this that we are looking into. In other words, in order that we have a higher wisdom than human wisdom, a higher protection than bombs, a higher guidance than human prophecy, the only place from which all this can come is from the kingdom of God within you, individually as well as collectively. The kingdom of God is within you and it can reveal 1964 to you far better than any of our prophets can prophesy. It can give you a wisdom with which to live the year. It really can illumine and inspire your wisdom in lifting it up into a higher measure. So, for the next fifteen minutes, we are going to look straight ahead into 1964 and let the spirit illumine it, not plan it, illumine it. Then, as you keep up this program each day and certainly preferably early in the morning, you will find that whatever illumination comes to you through this experience will be revealed to you each day. You will have a guidance and a protection from within you. We will start now looking into 1964 without any wishes or hopes, just with the realization that whatever is to be in 1964 is to be determined by this spirit of God within us.
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...29, 1963, Into the New Year.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:10- 58K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 3, 1963, As Ye Sow
- AS YE SOW February 3, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii A QUESTION COMES TO MY MIND this week which is, "How many of our students are reading or studying the writings objectively?" How many still read them with a measure of emotion or sentiment? A letter came to me this week from one of our students. It describes a nice and respectable family that engages in orthodox religious worship, but very good. A terrible tragedy has struck that family and the question is asked, "How can such a thing happen to such a nice family?" Is there any one of our students who does not know what the answer is? If you are in any doubt as to the answer to that question then you are not studying objectively because there isn't a book or a tape or a Letter that does not have the answer to it. If there is anything we know and know that we know, it is the reason for error. That we know. If we don't know anything else, we do know that-and if there are any in doubt on that subject, they are not seriously studying the message. They are reading it but not reading it objectively. Even the most casual reading reveals the "natural" man is not under the law of God and indeed cannot be. As long as he remains the creature-the natural man-he is neither under the law of God nor protected by God nor maintained or sustained by God. This really is the entire history of the human race and accounts for some becoming dictators while others become the lambs led to the slaughter. As you read in history of the rise to power of Mussolini or Hitler, you will soon see there was no God on earth to protect the people on earth-no God to intercede for them. In the same way, if you read the earlier history of the United States and the coming to power of some of our so-called big corporations, robbing, cheating, defrauding, you would soon ask, "Where was God in all this?" So if we have given you nothing else, we have certainly given you the reason why iniquities and injustices exist on earth. We have also ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...February 3, 1963, As Ye Sow.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:10- 99K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 14, A Word to the Wise
- ~ 14 ~ A WORD TO THE WISE ALL ERROR IS HYPNOTISM claiming to operate as your own thinking. As soon as you realize the error is not your thinking or that of your patient, you separate yourself from the suggestion and you become free. The act of recognizing the error-regardless of its form-as universal hypnotism or mesmeric suggestion claiming to act as your own thought or thinking, is the release. Only while the error is unrecognized as suggestion or imposed hypnotism, do you remain in the sin, disease or lack. Every claim of the body governing or controlling you, every belief of limitation, every appearance of sin or disease, lack or death, is but hypnotism claiming to act as your thinking. The realization of this truth is your remedy. Every claim or suggestion of mortality, even good mortality, must be handled in this way. These human appearances when seen as the activity of mesmerism must now be traced back to the one mind and understood as the finite sense of mind-life and mind's formation. This reversal of the picture and reinterpretation completes the treatment and reveals divine harmony where error seemed to be. To be a practitioner or teacher, you must in some measure have been released from this universal hypnotism so that you stand in back of this world as it were, and "see" with the un-hypnotized mind which is God. In this illumined consciousness it is evident that mesmerism, seen and recognized, is not power; it never was real power, but operated as both presence and power until detected and cast out through the realization of the Self as the all-power. Remember that hypnotism always appears as person, thing, or condition, circumstance or place. The wise practitioner is always able to see behind the false, finite appearance because he is beholding with the unfettered mind which is God. This is summed up for us in The Infinite Way, as follows: "The sense which presents pictures of discord and inharmony, disease and death, is the universal mesmerism which ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 14, A Word to the Wise.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:21- 75K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 26, Universal and Specific Belief
- ~ 26 ~ UNIVERSAL AND SPECIFIC BELIEF Universal and specific beliefs must be handled until we reach a state of consciousness in which the continuity of good has been realized. Then our mental work will be lessened, as spiritual revelation takes its place. Outside of Christian Science, humans are born, mature, age, decompose, and die. (All in belief, under the mesmerism of the Adam-dream). In Science, we annul the beliefs and claims of mortal existence one by one, as they appear until, in a measure, the ordinary experiences of mortality leave us untouched. There comes a time in our experience when spiritual inspiration reveals to individual consciousness a state of being free of mortal conditions and beliefs. Then we no longer live a life of constant mental denial and affirmation, but rather receive constant unfoldments of truth from mind. Sometimes this comes through no other channel than our own thought. It may come from a lecture, or in a published article, or it may be revealed through a statement in metaphysical writings. Regardless of the channel through which it may come, it is mind revealing itself to individual consciousness. Then, be sure that until this light comes, you handle whatever universal beliefs present themselves to you. As individual consciousness, we contain within ourselves all that is necessary to our well-being. There can be no sense of personal responsibility, when we know that God, divine love, completely provides within us all that is necessary for our unfoldment. As we give up personal responsibility, we receive divine strength, desire, and ability to help all those who for the moment may seem to need us. It is the divine "I or us" that fills the need of the patient, families or friends. Never do they need the personal you or me. As to our being ready to work from the point of spiritual revelation, that is never a matter for human decision. You just work as it comes to you to work, remembering that the human mind is not the healer; that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...iversal and Specific Belief.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:47- 59K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 1, Love as Understanding
- ~ 1 ~ LOVE AS UNDERSTANDING We all want to be understood and to be understanding. Most of us wish that those we meet could see into the center of our being, could see what we have been from the beginning, but which no one has yet recognized-not mother, not father, not teacher. No one has ever seen what we really are, and it is because of this nonrecognition that we have worn a mask to hide ourselves from the world. If only the mask that is hiding you from me and me from you could drop from our faces, we would be like children, back in the Garden of Eden. Everyone longs to be understood, but most persons think that that means being known as they are humanly. That is not what it means at all. Those who believe that do so because they do not yet know that the Christ is their true identity and this is really what they would like to show forth. The Master Christ Jesus, too, longed to have his true identity recognized and understood. How obvious is his longing as he asks, "Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? . . . Whom say ye that I am?" He longed to be known as the Christ, but he could not walk out and say, "I am the Christ." Let us not hesitate, however, to say silently and secretly to everyone we meet, "Thou art the Christ, the holy one of Israel. I know thee who thou art." How do we know it? Flesh and blood have not taught us this, nor has the human mind revealed it. Only spiritual discernment reveals to us that God lives on earth as individual you and me. God has incarnated Himself as individual being. God the Father appears on earth as God the son. As we begin the practice of beholding the Christ in everyone we meet-in our household, our neighborhood, the market, the post office, the department store-the world will begin to present a different picture to us. People will act in a different way. The world will respond differently to us because the world will bring back to us what we have given to it. Whomever we meet, we meet in the spirit of letting God's grace ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 1, Love as Understanding.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:53- 80K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter I, The Two Covenants
- CHAPTER I THE TWO COVENANTS For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. . . . But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. GALATIANS 4:22-24, 26 In our humanhood, we are sons of the bondwoman, in subjection to the flesh and its claims, in bondage to the things, thoughts, and activities of the flesh, whether it be this flesh of the body or the flesh called money or other forms of human living. Living in and through the flesh as the offspring of the bondwoman, we are under the laws of matter, the laws of economics, and the laws of race, religion, and nationality-under the covenant "which gendereth to bondage." The other covenant is that of our spiritual adoption, which comes through a conscious activity within our own consciousness and at a time when we are prepared for that transition, because the transition from humanhood to spiritual sonship is made only by Grace. When a person says that he would like to be a child of God and be free of the burdens of the flesh, usually he does not really mean it. What he means is that he would like to be free of the burdens of the flesh, but retain the pleasures and the profits of the flesh. It is for this reason that as human beings we cannot choose to be children of God. But there does come a time in the consciousness of every one of us-with some now and with some many lifetimes from now-when, through an inner Grace, we are able and willing not only to be rid of the ills of the flesh, but also of the pleasures and profits of the flesh, and to become acquainted with our spiritual identity or Selfhood, with that new creature-not the old one made healthy, not the old one made honorable, but a new creature which is born of the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter I, The Two Covenants.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:36- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 19, True Desires
- ~ 19 ~ TRUE DESIRES Our desires are usually for something external to us and hinder our obedience to the Scriptural injunction to, "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness." 1 We must lose all desire for and drop all thought of externals, whether of place, position, person, thing, or condition. Instead of these we are to desire spiritual realities: love, harmony, peace, confidence, understanding, truth. "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." 2 Paul As we appreciate these qualities we are seeking first "the kingdom of God," and as we gain an understanding of them, our human conditions become the very expression of good in all ways. Are we seeking health? We seek amiss. Our desire (prayer) should be for the consciousness of perfection to become conscious of harmony, peace, order, life, truth and love. In this consciousness there is no element of discord, inharmony, or disease. Are we seeking money with which to pay our bills? We seek amiss. Our desire (prayer) should be for the mind which was also in Christ Jesus, the mind which knows that "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father," 3 and "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me." 4 We need to strive for the consciousness of ever-present abundance, of love fulfilling every need. We must turn away from the temptation to think in terms of externals, of bills, debts, material needs, lack, or limitation. Holding persistently to spiritual realities will fulfill all needs, both of a spiritual and material nature. We can lose the belief of unemployment in the consciousness that mind is forever occupied with spiritual activity, and that mind is continuously expressing this activity through individual consciousness. Keeping ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s_ Chapter 19, True Desires.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:46- 63K
Find Similar Documents