Beyond Words & Thoughts: Chapter 1, Toward the Experience
- ~ 1 ~ TOWARD THE EXPERIENCE The heart and soul of the mystical life is an inner experience, and no matter what mode or method is used, that experience is possible if the basic motive is to discover truth. As long as you are just seeking to demonstrate health, supply, or companionship, however, there is no hope of attaining the God-experience. In spite of how successful you may be in human achievement, you will never attain spiritual awareness. That comes only when you have "died" to caring about the outer scene and are willing to take life as it is and work from within toward the goal of God-realization. The Infinite Way came into being when I realized that there is no God in the human world. If there were a God in the human world, rape, arson, murder, wars, dens of iniquity, drug addiction, and all the other afflictions of mankind would be impossible. Not one of these evidences of man's inhumanity to man could occur in the presence of God. Everything that is taking place in this world of ours is taking place only because there is no God in the human scene. This was the original unfoldment that was given to me some time after 1909, and this is what started me on the search. I have never doubted that there is a God, but now at least I know that there is no God in "this world," 1 and I know now, too, that all the going to church and all the praying are not going to bring one here. People have been going to church to pray since before the days of the ancient Hebrews and have done so continuously ever since. They have prayed every kind of prayer that has ever been known, and still the world keeps right on falling apart. Thus the search began: Where is God? What is God? How do we bring God into our experience? Eventually, late in 1928, the Experience took place, that first God-experience. This Experience brought with it no message, no words, no rules, nor were any principles given: there was just an experience that could not be described. Whereas in one moment I was like ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 1, Toward the Experience.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:10- 130K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 6, Meditation
- ~ 6 ~ MEDITATION WE MUST CONSIDER MEDITATION at this point, because it will more and more play an important part in your life and, as a matter or fact, become very important. Meditation may be a practice that extends over a period of five minutes or five hours, or it can be an experience of seconds. To begin with, let us take up the subject of meditation as we would if we are not perfectly familiar with it. In other words, let's start in as if it were a new subject to us. Now, you remember that on the first night I spoke about beginning the day with that part of The Infinite Way that gives us instructions about waking in the morning, to be found in the chapter entitled "Meditation." I hope you have been religiously following this, because it leads to this idea of meditation. You see, the minute you awaken in the morning and realize, "I and the Father are one," 1 you are meditating. That is going within and realizing the inner reality of being, and that's meditation. Any form of going within is meditation, especially when you have something to meditate on, and you do: you have, "I and the Father are one." And even if you declare this only once with your eyes closed, you meditate on that particular idea. Now, if you sat down in your chair for a few moments and realized or pondered the idea that "the wave is one with the ocean, so I am one with God . . . as a sunbeam isn't something separate and apart from the sun, but really an emanation of the sun itself . . ." and so on, you were meditating. You see, there is nothing of a secret or occult nature about meditating- nothing of a secret process-nothing strange or mysterious. Meditation is nothing more or less than pondering some idea of universal truth. Now, let us suppose we are getting ready to leave home and go about our business but we want some meditation first. We are not going to take any of our problems into the meditation at all. Our meditation is merely the realization or conscious establishment of our unity ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 6, Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 108K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 8, The Universal & Impersonal Nature of Truth & Error
- ~ 8 ~ THE UNIVERSAL AND IMPERSONAL NATURE OF TRUTH AND ERROR Hebrew Scripture prophesies that the Christ will be crucified. How could anyone possibly predict the crucifixion of a man two thousand years before it took place? There was no good reason for such a foreknowledge of events. Nevertheless, there is the prophecy in Hebrew Scripture. What then is the meaning of it? The first and important point that we must understand is, that this prophecy does not refer to a man, but that it refers to the crucifixion of the Christ, the crucifixion of truth. The Hebrews knew from bitter experience that wherever and whenever truth has appeared to mortal thought, it has been crucified. Mortal thought never has and never will accept truth. Wherever it appears, ecclesiasticism will deny it, "It is not orthodox; it is not in accord with our teaching; it, therefore, cannot be true," and that same ecclesiasticism will cry, "Crucify him." So, it could safely be prophesied that a hundred years or two thousand years from then the Christ would be crucified, because whenever the Christ touches mortal thought, it is crucified. Christ is the manifestation of God; therefore, the Christ is not a man. To followers of Hinduism, Krishna occupies much the same place as does the Christ in the Christian world. Yet there are few who would claim that Krishna was merely a man, even though there was a man known as Krishna who gave a spiritual teaching to the world, just as there was the man Jesus who gave the world the teaching of the Christ. The teaching described as that of Krishna was given to the world many thousands of years before the advent of Jesus, and, just as Jesus has been identified as being the Christ, so Krishna is now considered as if he had been a corporeal being. Krishna and Christ both mean the same thing: the presence of God made manifest-the Word made flesh. Mortal thought will always crucify truth, so when an individual appears who catches the vision of this truth, this Christ, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nal Nature of Truth & Error.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:34- 120K
Find Similar Documents
Invisible Supply: Chapter 7, Practicing Spiritual Truth
- It must be buried deep in your consciousness and nurtured, fed, tended, cared for, and allowed to take root, to grow, to blossom, and to fulfill itself as fruitage that you can share. Do not look out the next day expecting to see a full-grown, fruit-bearing tree. Keep these gems of Truth locked up within yourself and witness how they develop and expand and come forth as fruitage. The seeds of Truth that we take within our consciousness, live with, and practice over and over are our gratitude to God or to each other, our benevolences, forgiveness of our enemies, and praying for them. When these seeds of Truth come to fruition-when the Truth has been demonstrated within us -then we can begin to share the fruitage. The Truth has become a power to heal, to increase supply, and so forth. We have the example of the Master who kept Truth locked up within Himself until the age of thirty. During that time He did not try to preach or teach or heal. He just pondered these Truths within Himself, ... All- Power is of God, and All-Power is good. Too often we want to share the Truth we have with others when we see them in their distress. We feel that what we have could be so important to them that we rush out and try to share it with them. But when you are so tempted, please remember this principle of secrecy. Remember that you may gain your neighbor's goodwill but you will forfeit Divine Grace. Keep Truth within yourself until it has come to fruitage. Do not give forth the Truth that you know, but give forth only the fruitage: forgiveness, prayers, tithes. The secret is to keep it within you until it is so clearly established in you that you can share it freely and liberally. Practice Truth in Every Activity The trend of one's life can be changed within a year by studying, practicing, and living spiritual Truth. Practitioners can heal us once, twice, three times, even ten times and can feed us both spiritually and physically. But if we ourselves do not rise sufficiently in ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Practicing Spiritual Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:39- 96K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 5, The World Of Material Sense & The World Of Spiritual Discernment
- ~ 5 ~ THE WORLD OF MATERIAL SENSE AND THE WORLD OF SPIRITUAL DISCERNMENT WHEN THE MASTER SAID, "My kingdom is not of this world,"1 he implied that there are two worlds. And yet the truth is that there is only one world. God made all that was made, and anything that God did not make was not made. Since God is Spirit, the only world is a spiritual world, and the only man is spiritual man. Then what did the Master mean when he said that his kingdom was not of this world? And what do we mean when we speak of the two worlds as taught in The Infinite Way? First of all, we mean that there is only one world, and it is spiritual. The other world is the materialistic concept that we entertain of the spiritual world; it is not really a world any more than the world of the insane is a real world. The world of the insane is a world lived within the mind, an imaginary world they have conceived. It has no external existence, any more than does the materialistic concept of world that we all accept have an existence separate and apart from mind. The proof of that is that through the development of spiritual discernment we are able to see the world as it is, to see the materialistic concept evaporate and in its place behold a world of harmony. The human being lives in a world of material sense, and this means that he measures life in terms of amounts, weights, and degrees. He ascribes power to germs: good power to some germs and evil power to others. He ascribes powers of good to some individuals and powers of evil to other individuals. He is always conferring power upon someone or something. His entire human experience is made up of a combination of good and evil; he gives power to all kinds of things external to himself. Practically everything good comes from someone else or something else, and practically everything evil comes from some other person or some other thing. He is either the beneficiary or the victim. Rarely does he acknowledge that he has dominion and live out from ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ld Of Spiritual Discernment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:43- 118K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Living: Chapter 12, Christ Ascended
- ... But that son of God is incarnated in me, in you, and in every "you" throughout this globe: the pagan, the atheist, the agnostic, the Christian, the Buddhist, the Vedantist. It makes no difference what his beliefs are. God is spirit, indivisible, inseparable from Himself, and therefore omnipresent in you, in every you. Forgiveness of Sin, a Function of the Christ By observing the ministry of Jesus Christ, who so completely showed forth his divine sonship, and which he said was within us, we can understand the function of the Christ, one of which is the forgiving of sin. For each of us, this is important. In our human experience we have sinned greatly, and because most of our sins were committed ignorantly, we need not rehearse or rehash them. Let us acknowledge, however, that as human beings we have strayed far from our Father's house, our Father's standard of conduct, and our Father's teaching. With this acknowledgment we are showing sufficient humility to take the next step and say, "Thank You, Father, that Your son, the Christ, the spirit of God in me, is here to forgive my sins. I carry within me my mediator, my meditation. I carry within my own consciousness the incarnated son of God whose function it is, when I ask for forgiveness, to give it." Lip service will not suffice. This must be a once and for all confession: "Father, forgive me, I have not known what I have done. But now I know that Your son is incarnate within me, and one of Its functions is to forgive me my sins." Then the injunction is to go and sin no more and to watch each day that, to the highest extent possible, we do not violate the laws that we have come to know. Even so there will be more violations, but forgiveness "seventy times seven" 5 is still awaiting us. Our responsibility is to try our best to live up to whatever spiritual law we may now learn, and if we know that the Christ is not something in time or space, we have made a real beginning. Healing as an Activity of the Christ ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 12, Christ Ascended.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:37- 122K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 9, When We Personalize Good And Evil
- IX when we personalize good and evil S PIRITUAL CONSCIOUSNESS IS your consciousness when you have no evil to combat, when your evil has been impersonalized and nothingized. That is Christ-con- sciousness. It is not some other consciousness that is going to come to you. It is your present consciousness when your consciousness is divested of personalizing good and evil or empowering evil. Your consciousness, this very conscious- ness which is you, is Christ-consciousness in proportion as you are impersonalizing and nothingizing. Therefore, there is no new consciousness to gain; there is no other consciousness to go out after. It is a purification of the consciousness which we now have, and which in its purified state is Christ-consciousness. In other words, Moses, after his illumination, was still Moses, but with purified consciousness. Jesus was still Jesus but with purified or Christ-consciousness. That is why he was called Jesus, "the Christ," Jesus, "the Enlightened." He was still Jesus, the same Jesus, but now, "the Enlightened." And enlightenment means only one thing: the recognition of these principles. That is what constitutes enlightenment and opens the way for illumination. The inner experiences that we have, the inner experiences that come to us and the instruction that comes, and the wisdom, the guidance, and the direction come only at those times when we are living in that consciousness of no condemnation, of impersonalization, and they cannot come to us at any other time. That is the full meaning of that statement: "When you go to the altar and pray, and there remember that anyone has ought against thee, first get up and make thy peace." 1 We have this principle of impersonalizing evil, and this means denying the evil a person in whom, on whom, or through whom to operate. In other words, look upon every evil as if it were being offered by a tempter, as if you were seeing Satan stand before the Master, and you having the ability to say, "Get thee behind ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 9.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:05- 91K
Find Similar Documents
The Mystical I: Chapter Three, "I Am Come"
- CHAPTER THREE "I AM COME" From the beginning of this message and from its very first book, The Infinite Way1, it was revealed that God is not to be known but to be experienced, and only when God is experienced are there signs following or is there fruitage. You can talk about God; you can discuss God; you can even decide to change the image of God; or you can make up more synonyms for God; but all this is in the realm of toys, an intellectual game. Actually, it is a form of idolatry because it is the making of graven images, only instead of being made of gold, wood, or stone, these images are built out of the substance of thought. So one concept of God is exchanged for another concept of God, and what you end up with is not God but merely your concept of God, your thought about God. You can see why prayer cannot be fruitful as long as it is addressed to a thought about God, an image of God, or a concept of God. What possible difference could it make if your concept is Jewish, Vedantic, Buddhist, or Christian, as long as all you have is a concept? How can a concept answer prayer? How can a thought in your mind answer prayer? AN IMAGE IN THOUGHT IS NOT GOD From the early days of modern metaphysics, "Truth" has been one of the synonyms for God, so when a person speaks of using truth it really is the same as saying, "Use God." But how can anyone use God? If he could, that would make him greater than God. This would also be true if the word "mind" were used as a synonym for God. Do we not use the mind? If we do, does that not make us greater than mind? Consider the idea held in many quarters that thought is power. If thought is power, then thought is greater than we are, yet we are the creators of thought. Terminology can get us into a great deal of trouble, and merely changing the terminology can get us into more trouble, for to say that that is not God, but this is, is just changing one concept or term for another. There is no use believing that one concept of God is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter Three, _I Am Come_.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:32- 103K
Find Similar Documents
1954 Infinite Way Letters: Chapter 1, Welcome the New Year
- ~ 1 ~ WELCOME THE NEW YEAR The world enters what it calls a New Year. There is nothing new in it-only repetition, and many people enter the New Year with fear and trembling, yet wishing and hoping for better lives and conditions. For students of The Infinite Way the question is: How shall we approach the New Year? First of all, let us be faithful to our spiritual heritage as Children of God, and continually remember, "Now therefore, ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow-citizens with the saints, and of the household of God." This means that we understand God as the principle, law, substance and activity of all being and of the universe itself; that thereby, we recognize the spiritual government of man and the universe; that we acknowledge Spirit as the only Power, and Soul as the only Presence. Starting with God as the creative and sustaining principle of all that is, we recognize and acknowledge that "the government shall be upon his shoulder," and therefore, all government, rule and dominion is spiritual, intelligent, loving and perfect. We will clothe ourselves in the realization that God is the Mind, Soul, Spirit and Law unto all spiritual being, and that mortality-which is but mythical existence-is forever without form, and is void. Understanding that error, regardless of its form or name, is not power or law, we will meet whatever human sense brings to the world with the realization that it comes only as suggestion or mirage-without power, or dominion, or control over man or the universe. We will meet lust, greed, mad ambition, stupidity, ignorance and fear as without form or power, since these do not emanate from the One Infinite Invisible. We will know that material force in any form is no more powerful or destructive than mental force, since both represent the nothingness of human belief. We will neither hate nor fear error in any form, since we understand all error as the absence of intelligence, law or power. Regardless of what human ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 1, Welcome the New Year.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:53- 89K
Find Similar Documents
Invisible Supply: Chapter 10, Temporal Power is Not Power
- CHAPTER 10 TEMPORAL POWER IS NOT POWER To the transcendental consciousness, temporal power (whether it is of a physical nature or of a mental nature) is not power. The only power is the realized consciousness of the One Power and recognizing the nonpower of all else. When Hezekiah's people came to him and said, "The armies of the enemy are upon us and they are greater in number than we are," he replied, "Be not afraid! They have only temporal power, the arm of flesh. We have the Lord, God." The Master could say to Pilate, the great temporal power of that time, "Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from the Father." Take unto yourself the task of understanding what these two passages mean. Could you, right now, turn your face toward a hostile country and in your honest, open heart say, "You have no power over me," or, "You have only temporal power, the arm of flesh"? Could you say that and actually feel completely and perfectly safe? Of course not, and you will not be able to until you understand that temporal power is not power. To the degree that you attain a confidence and assurance in Omnipotence, you will know that temporal power is not power. The Principle of No-Power Some of you who have done healing work have achieved to some degree this transcendental consciousness. None of us has achieved the fullness of it, but everyone who has done spiritual healing work has been able to say to infection, contagion, or disease, "You have no power," and has seen them dissolve. Everyone who has been an instrument for healing has proven that in the Presence of God temporal power is not power. There is no power but the realization of God's Presence, and we have proved it in the knitting of fractured bones, in the healing of blindness and deafness. We have proved again and again that temporal power is not power. In the human world there are many temporal powers: those of disease, sin, money, politics, war, and so forth. If you pray in the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Temporal Power is Not Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:39- 131K
Find Similar Documents