A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter X, Reality and Illusion
- CHAPTER X REALITY AND ILLUSION To recognize that we live in two worlds, the world created by the five physical senses and the world of Consciousness, is to bring ourselves closer and closer to illumination. In the first chapter of Genesis, God made man in His own image and likeness, without any help from anyone. This pure spiritual birth, this immaculate conception, is God manifesting and expressing Himself and His qualities, Consciousness revealing Itself as form. This is pure, unadulterated, spiritual creation, the immaculate conception of man and the universe, God, the infinite Life expressing Itself individually without any material forms, processes, or systems. In the second chapter of Genesis, God not only creates but He miscreates, and because of His mistakes, He has to do it over and over again. First, He "formed man of the dust of the ground," then, He brought woman forth from man's rib, and finally He decided to bring man and woman together for the purpose of creation. Is it reasonable to believe that the infinite Intelligence of this universe needed to make two attempts at creation? This man of earth, "the natural man" who is not under the law of God, "neither indeed can be," is not a man at all: he is a mythical creation of the human mind, of the five physical senses. To make clear how this mind creates, let us examine how it has created a man- made God. Close your eyes for a moment, and take the word God into your consciousness. Do you believe that this is God, or is this not a projection of your mind? Has this God any power? Is there really such a Presence, or is this just a self-created image of your own thinking? Let us go further afield and let us attempt to decide what God is. Instantly to our thought comes an answer, but the answer is not truth, and the answer is not God because the answer is a projection of our background. Anyone who has been an orthodox Christian almost immediately thinks of Jesus Christ. If one's background is Hebrew, he ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter X, Reality and Illusion.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 113K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Truth
- Truth The law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. -John 1:17. UNDER PHARAOH the Hebrews had been in complete and utter slavery, not only economically, but culturally as well. They had not been permitted religious freedom, educational freedom, or cultural freedom any more than financial freedom. Consequently they were at about the lowest level of humanhood imaginable. It was in this state that Moses found them, and wishing to free them from their bondage, he took them out from under Pharaoh and led them out into the desert. Unaccustomed as they were to such freedom, they mistook liberty for license. They became very unruly and difficult to manage, so that it became necessary for Moses to set up many human codes-codes of human conduct. One set of these codes we know as the Ten Commandments. One of the mistaken beliefs of many people in the religious world is that the Ten Commandments are spiritual commands, having to do with spiritual or religious life. This is not true. The Ten Commandments, with the exception of the First Commandment, constitute a code of human conduct. It is certain that to one of spiritual vision you would never have to say, "Thou shalt not steal," or "Honor thy father and thy mother." And it would be just as fantastic to tell them not to commit adultery; not to commit murder; not to covet or envy. The Ten Commandments, then, do constitute law, and so now, as with Moses and the Hebrews in that intermediary stage of humanhood, it becomes necessary to have such a code of laws-of human laws-in order to teach men how to be just ordinary good humans. In the teachings of Christ Jesus you do not find any such commands about being humanly good. You are told, rather, that "My kingdom is not of this world." You are lifted into a spiritual atmosphere in which there is not even a thought or a temptation of being humanly bad. That is why we are told, "The law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." It is a very ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ys of Joel Goldsmith_ Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:16- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 11, The Fourth-Dimensional Consciousness
- ~ 11 ~ THE FOURTH-DIMENSIONAL CONSCIOUSNESS Working and living with a message such as The Infinite Way and being on a path of this nature, there comes a time when a transition is made from living a normal human life in which we make decisions and accept responsibilities to one in which we become aware that we are not alone, but that there is Something else. Whatever it may be or however the experience comes to us, we have a feeling that Somebody or Something is very close to us, governing our life. We find ourselves going in directions that we had not thought about or planned, and perhaps doing a work that we had never before dreamed of. There is always an awareness of the Presence going before us to "make the crooked places straight," 1 walking beside us as protection or behind us as a rear guard. Whether we feel It as a Presence or as Something very personal will probably vary with each one of us. To me, It is always a Presence or a Spirit, and not often but sometimes when It speaks to me, It is an audible voice. Most of the time, however, It is just an awareness. After enough years had gone by in my life, it was certainly clear to me that I was not a writer, and yet a book came forth, out of which the whole activity of The Infinite Way was born. So it must be evident that there is Something that gave me this message, these principles, and that brought forth publishers and money enough to carry The Infinite Way around the world. That Something is behind the message of The Infinite Way, and I am merely the instrument through which It is functioning. Eventually, Spirit makes Itself evident to all those who work faithfully with these spiritual principles. It does not duplicate through them the work of The Infinite Way because that would not be intelligent. But It has been responsible for the editing of these writings and for raising up teachers, who have felt the Spirit to the extent that they also are but instruments through which the Spirit is projecting The ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...h-Dimensional Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:24- 119K
Find Similar Documents
I Stand on Holy Ground: Chapter 11, Self-Purification, the Way to the Mystical Consciousness
- Chapter Eleven Self-Purification, the Way to the Mystical Consciousness Throughout the history of the world, there have been some few hundred persons who by the grace of God have received spiritual illumination to a sufficient extent for them to be considered mystics. There also have been a few thousand persons or possibly tens of thousands who by the grace of God have received a touch of the Spirit but, because they did not understand or grasp the meaning or significance of it when it came, could never again regain it or have the experience repeated. These represent one of the saddest elements of society. It is not necessary for a person to go through life without illumination however, because with an understanding of the truth of being and a consistent living with the principles, the spiritual centers are opened, and it is possible for anyone who earnestly turns to a spiritual teaching to receive a tremendous measure of light. The degree of that illumination varies with the individual and with the use he makes of it after he receives it. Impersonalization Illumination is possible only in proportion to our realization of the nature of God as omnipresence and infinity, thereby enabling us to look upon any and every form of discord not as a condition or a person but as a mental imposition, a malpractice, a temptation, a state of hypnotism, a nothingness. It is virtually impossible to receive spiritual light or illumination and to attain the heights possible through meditation when the mind is divided against itself. If we entertain the belief that God can do something to or for something or somebody, our mind is a house divided against itself. As long as we entertain a belief in two powers, illumination is impossible because that is the barrier that separates us from being that man who has his being in Christ. We think of each other as having certain qualities, some good and some bad, some spiritual and some material. That is the barrier. We cannot deny that some of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... the Mystical Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:37- 124K
Find Similar Documents
I Stand on Holy Ground: Chapter 6, I, If I Be Lifted Up
- Chapter Six I, If I Be Lifted Up The Infinite Way is based on the premise that our state of consciousness draws to us our life-experience. We are responsible for whatever of good comes into our lives. Nobody can give it to us because it is not separate and apart from our consciousness. We draw it to ourselves. Moreover, and this is not easy to swallow and digest, whatever of discord and inharmony we have experienced in life, we have created for ourselves. Nobody has done it to us, and nothing has brought it to us except ourselves. We may not be willing to accept or believe this as we think back over our life because the tendency is usually to blame someone else for our own shortcomings: "Oh, no, it was my parents' situation that prevented me from getting an education"; "It was my partner's failure that caused me to lose a fortune"; "It was my husband's lack of consideration that made me unhappy"; or "It was my wife's extravagance that increased my worry." None of this is true. Hard as this is to acknowledge, nevertheless, our state of consciousness has drawn to us the experiences that we have had or are now having. That does not imply that there should be any guilt upon our shoulders for wrong doing or wrong thinking. It only indicates our ignorance of the truth, but the truth was not always available to us. In fact, there was very little of truth for anyone to know until modern metaphysical teachings brought a measure of light. There is a God, and wherever the spirit of that God is, there is liberty. But it takes a you or a me to bring that spirit of God into active expression where we are. We must not look to God for our good any more than we must look to "man, whose breath is in his nostrils."1 But we must know the truth. "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."2 This puts the responsibility on your shoulders and on mine, for unless you and I know the truth, we shall not be made free and we cannot help free those to whom we owe that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 6, I, If I Be Lifted Up.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:36- 120K
Find Similar Documents
Realization of Oneness: Chapter 4, No And
- 4) No And! The secret of meeting error lies in knowing its nature. And the nature of error can be summed up in such words as "carnal mind," "suggestion," "appearance," or "hypnotism." The nature of error as hypnotism, or the carnal mind, can be illustrated in this way: If there were a plant in the room where you are now sitting and if someone hypnotized you, he could make you believe that, instead of branches, snakes were growing out of the flowerpot, and you would accept and believe it. Through hypnotic suggestion, the hypnotist has taken temporary control of your mind, and because you are apparently unable to act independently, you follow his suggestion to its logical conclusion. A fear of the snakes is set up in you; you run away from them and may even pick up a knife with which to chop off their heads-all this based on the belief that snakes are actually there. No matter what you might do to those nonexistent snakes, you still could not change the fact that as long as you remain hypnotized you will see snakes. There is no possible way for you to be rid of those snakes except to become dehypnotized; there is no way to get rid of your fear of snakes except to become dehypnotized; there is no way to put up your sword except to become dehypnotized. In other words, as long as the hypnosis lasts, all the component parts of the picture are there, are they not? Now just as it is possible to hypnotize you into believing that there are snakes in the room, so is it possible to hypnotize you into believing that there is a selfhood other than God in any place where you happen to be. As soon as you have been hypnotized into believing in a selfhood apart from God, you then logically accept all the beliefs regarding this selfhood: birth, growth, maturity, and ultimately death. There is only one way to be rid of the human picture, and that is to understand that there is no person and there is no selfhood other than God in the room or in any other place. But the hypnotized person ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Oneness_ Chapter 4, No And.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:04- 151K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 9. Prayer of Understanding
- ... I hope this is clear because if it is so only in a tiny measure, a measure only so large as a grain of dust, if you can see that you have to overhaul your concept of prayer and your concept of God and you've got to begin the work of conscious "at-one-ing"- attuning-and that it's your individual job; if only as a grain of dust I can make you see that, my whole lifetime will have fulfilled itself. If I can catch a higher concept of God than I have now so that I can feel just one bit closer to this almighty spirit which is the reality of my being, I have no other purpose in life. I know it will use itself through me for some good end. And in the same way I know right well that I can't go out on street corners and preach this. I feel very, very fortunate if the few who are drawn to me of their own at- one-ment with this type of consciousness can catch one little glimpse of what I am trying to say and what I always so poorly say and write. Someday it will be said better and written down far better than it is now but if I can bring to life only one tiny little bit of spirit that will say, "I must overhaul my idea of prayer; I must do a little higher praying and have a little higher concept of God than to believe that he began a war or that he is ever going to end one or that he is ever going to forgive anyone his sins in his sins," I am fulfilled. Forgiveness is accomplished only by the forsaking of the sin. There is no other way. We can no more be forgiven than to keep on in mathematics saying 3x3 is 8 or 4x4 is 19 and expect the principle of mathematics to say, "Well, after all, you are a charitable soul so we will give you the correct answer!" It isn't done. Not with mathematics and not with music, nor with painting, art, sculpture, or writing. Those who turn to those arts and gifts must turn to them with a full openness to the principles of them. Those who turn to God must turn to God with the full openness of consciousness to it. Does this mean that if we are ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 9. Prayer of Understanding.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:07- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Seek Ye First: Chapter 1, The Inner Kingdom
- In fact, it must be expected that it be difficult because we are embarking on an almost impossible task, that is, unless our determination is such that we are willing to put up with the difficulties inevitably to be encountered in the beginning. Forgiveness and Salvation Now In the years devoted to this work, I have noted some things that are helpful to students and that make these first months ... The woman taken in adultery and forgiven by the Master had to accept her forgiveness now and stop living in the past. The thief on the cross had to accept his salvation now and forget those things that were behind. So must we, regardless of the nature or the degree of our materialistic living, sickly, sinful, or poverty-stricken living. There comes a time when we bid it goodbye and start over with the word now, and let now mark the beginning of our new birth. Dropping the Burdens of the Past Now, here where I am, God is. Now God is; now God is closer than breathing; now the Father is saying, "Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine."3 In this moment of silent receptivity, the Father says, "Drop your burdens, let Me carry the load. Let Me give you forgiveness, let Me be the ... But we take no thought for the love flowing back to us; we let it flow as one of the added things. We live in a continuous state of now expressing love. The love that we express today must become a continuing experience, a love that we express through forgiveness, understanding, sharing. Every opportunity to express love that is presented to us we must accept, and not ask, "Where is it going to ... All is within me: the bread, the meat, the wine of life. It takes a few months, even years, to break this attachment to the outer world, to break the belief that we are dependent on man for justice, for loans, for forgiveness, or for our support, but we can do it if we can remember the word now: Now I and the Father are one. Now do I draw upon the kingdom of God within me. Now do I seek living ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 1, The Inner Kingdom.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:09- 123K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 4, Immortality Unveiled
- Chapter Four Immortality Unveiled It is not possible to enter into the Christ-consciousness while you are trying to change appearances. Evil becomes less operative in your life, however, as you rise to a place in consciousness where you recognize that God is Spirit, that Spirit alone is power, and that there is no power aside from Spirit-not that there is not a claim of material and mental power in the human world. But you cannot change that until you rise above the material and mental levels into the spiritual, and it is there that you will recognize the illusory nature of all so-called powers. Actually, it is impossible for an illusion to create any real thing. All it can create is a mental image in thought. The world is the temple of God. It is not an illusion even though some Oriental teachings claim it is. The illusion is in our sense of the world. But what has happened to those who have accepted this world as an illusion? "By their fruits ye shall know them."1 Has there been clearly identifiable fruitage? God never created an illusion, and God did create the world which to human sense is seen "through a glass darkly."2 If only it could be seen face to face, this very universe would be the temple of God, as your individual body would be. Your body is the temple of God, but you are seeing it through the universal belief in two powers, and the sooner you come to some measure of realization of one power, the sooner will your body begin to respond. As you learn this principle of the Infinite Way, you will disregard appearances, knowing that you are witnessing these appearances through the illusory sense of the belief in two powers. Impersonal Nature of Error Makes Healing Relatively Easy Infinite Way work is carried on entirely from the standpoint that all evil, regardless of its name or nature, is impersonal and has its source in a universal belief in two powers. It is for this reason that you never take the name of the patient or the disease into your treatment. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 4, Immortality Unveiled.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:14- 121K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Living: Chapter 3, The Peace-Be-Still of Spiritual Authority
- Chapter Three The Peace-Be-Still of Spiritual Authority The first step in our spiritual development and progress included both a physical and mental discipline. That discipline involved remembering God, refraining from stealing, envy, jealousy, and not committing adultery or murder. It was accompanied by the restraints of the thou-shalt-not's-or-God-will-do-something- to-you. In these early days of developing and living by a moral code, people were not capable of disciplining themselves, so there had to be a hierarchy of priests to make certain that the laws were obeyed. The Body and the Mind Must Be Disciplined As generation after generation came under the discipline of the law, eventually more and more persons learned to discipline themselves, no longer requiring an overseeing power to keep them in line. Through this discipline their natures were changed and their desires brought under control. Gradually a better state of humanhood evolved, which is what always happens when the undisciplined come under discipline. Not only do they learn how to behave, but their very nature changes, and they lose the desire and the propensity for undisciplined conduct or thoughts. In the earliest stage of our existence we are disciplined as to our physical acts, and then later our mental activity also comes under discipline. When Jesus was teaching the principles of spiritual living, he said that it was not enough not to commit the act of adultery, but even thinking about it had to be controlled, because there was just as much evil in the desire or thought as there was in the act: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. Matthew 5:28 Jesus indicated that first there must be the discipline of rising above the indulgence in an act. Next must come the discipline of the mind, so that it would be incapable of thinking undisciplined thoughts. "He that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...till of Spiritual Authority.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:35- 123K
Find Similar Documents