Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Scriptural Symbols
- SCRIPTURAL SYMBOLS SPIRITUAL SIGNIFICANCE of Scripture is often revealed in the metaphysical interpretation of names of people, places, mountains, seas and rivers we find in the Bible. The historical sense of the Bible is often not correct and is rarely of much importance. The spiritual sense of Scripture is the important one, and it shows forth the laws and principles of harmonious existence. Spiritual ideas and moral lessons have been interpreted as men, events and movements, and these must now be re-interpreted in order to unravel the mystery of the Bible and make Scripture practical in destroying its superstitions and mysteries. People have considered their place of worship almost as important as the God they worshipped. The Holy Temple in Jerusalem was considered of such importance that Jews from all over the Holy Lands made pilgrimages there every year. The Temple, however, rightly understood, is a symbol of the spiritual universe or body and is attained not by means of a pilgrimage from one place to another, but by an expansion of consciousness, which then includes within itself the secret of immortality or life eternal achieved here and now. Jesus showed forth this truth about the Temple when he said, "Ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father . . . But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth:" Again, he said, "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up." The material sense of Temple localizes and finitizes it; the spiritual sense reveals the infinite and immortal Temple of your life, your body, your experience of good. This true view of Temple likewise spiritualizes your understanding of worship. Thinking of church as material, as having edifices and rules, materializes and finitizes and localizes worship, whereas, the spiritual sense of church reveals the unlimited, unfettered prayer uttered within your own being. Following this line of thought, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ripture_ Scriptural Symbols.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:18- 99K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Meditation: Chapter II, The Purpose
- CHAPTER II THE PURPOSE The purpose of meditation is to attain divine grace. Once this grace has been attained in a measure, it takes over our experience and lives our life, performs those things which are given us to do, and makes the crooked places straight. We no longer live by bread alone, but by this inner grace. Satisfying relationships, abundant supply, successful business activity, and creative endeavor are the tangible effects of grace. First must come the inner grace before the things of this world can be added to us; but we can never receive the grace of God so long as we seek it for the purpose of demonstration, that is, seeking God in order to possess some person or thing, or to achieve some place. That is the reason meditation can never be used to demonstrate an automobile, more money, or a better position: meditation is for the purpose of realizing God. In meditation God is revealed as the life of individual being. God is the embodiment of all good. In achieving the experience of God, our good appears as whatever the need may be. We fail if we attempt to gain any thing separate and apart from God. God, Itself, is the good. Prayer or meditation for material things and persons cannot be answered by a God of Spirit. Such an objective defeats the purpose of meditation. Scripture tells us that the natural man receiveth not the things of God. Who is the natural man but the human being, the prodigal son, still deep in material consciousness, praying that his materiality may be made a little better, a little richer, a little more, or a little less? We pray to be stouter or we pray to be thinner; we pray to have more money, seldom to have less, although that might be a very spiritual prayer. The point is that we pray for an improvement or an increase of that very materiality of which God has no knowledge, and such prayer is not answered. Very often our human desires, if fulfilled, would leave us unsatisfied, because as human beings we do not possess the wisdom ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...on_ Chapter II, The Purpose.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:27- 99K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XVIII, Ye Are the Light
- CHAPTER XVIII YE ARE THE LIGHT Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. MATTHEW 5:14-16 We become the light of the world in proportion to our degree of illumination. Some students attain that illumination quickly; and some wait, wait, and wait for the great experience to descend upon them. When it comes, however, it comes suddenly, although the preparation leading up to it may have taken many, many years of studying and meditating, during which time we seem to have made little or no progress. From the first moment, however, that we seriously turned to the attainment of realization, our progress has been rapid even though, to outward appearances, imperceptible. It is like removing a mountain. From the first shovelful of dirt that is carried away, progress is being made in leveling the entire mountain. But a mountain is made up of countless shovelfuls of earth and stone, and not until many of these have been removed is it apparent that any noticeable progress has been made. So it is that when we are aware of the density of human selfhood, we know that we are moving a mountain of ignorance, and although a beginning is made with our first serious meditation, progress will not be too evident for a long, long time. Then all of a sudden it seems to burst upon us like a flash of light. When we have been touched by the Spirit, it is evident in the light shining forth from our eyes and the glow on our face. Outwardly our life changes: Our human relationships change; our nature changes; our health changes; and sometimes even our physical form changes-but only because such changes are the outer manifestation of an inner glory, an inner light, which has been attained by contact with the Father within ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter XVIII, Ye Are the Light.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:42- 103K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: April 19, 1964, Experience God
- EXPERIENCE GOD April 19, 1964 Between Two Worlds Honolulu, Hawaii WE ARE GOING to continue the subject "Between Two Worlds" and so, in your meditation, let thought go into that period between two worlds and see what kind of an unfoldment you can be aware of. The secret of the two worlds is buried within your own consciousness and, regardless of how much I may tell you about it, you still will not know it until you have received confirmation, instruction, or inspiration on it from within your Self. Please remember this: This Infinite Way message is unique in that it does not teach you to rely on the teaching, the books, or the revelator. The Infinite Way has a teacher and books and teachings only for the purpose of leading you back to the kingdom of God within your Self, so that you may be taught of God. Always remember that the world has lost truth because the followers of religious teachings have begun to let the Buddha or Jesus Christ or Paul carry on for them. Even in modern teachings there has been the acknowledgment that Mrs. Eddy and Mrs. Fillmore and Ernest Holmes were God- inspired, and then their followers took the attitude of sitting at the feet of the Master. To be instructed is right and as it should be, but you must not plan to spend your life there. The major problem in my personal life is that of trying to avoid any relationship between my students and myself or the students of our teachers, whereby the individual begins to believe that we are God-inspired and so "let us sit and partake of his or her light." That is good up to a certain point, but remember that we in The Infinite Way are not trying to develop a following, nor are we trying to develop fame or fortune. I at least, and some of the teachers who have learned from me, are trying (sometimes even against the pressure of students) to bring to you the awareness that you have just as much access to the kingdom of God as we have. If you want to heal, you can do as much as any of us have done. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...il 19, 1964, Experience God.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:06- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 3, God Revealing the Infinity of Being
- ~ 3 ~ GOD REVEALING THE INFINITY OF BEING The words of wise men are heard in quiet more than the cry of him that ruleth among fools. Ecclesiastes 9:17 We are surrounded at all times by what Scripture calls "angels," which hover about us always. Within us are those divine ideas or spiritual impulses which guide, lead, and direct us, even though as human beings we are not aware of them. As human beings, brought up with the ordinary church experience or with no church at all, we are not aware of the fact that we are constantly under divine government, divine guidance. In reality we are under the law of the Spirit of God, and under the spirit of the law of God. In practice, we walk around like the Prodigal, thinking, "I, of mine own self, am something and I am going out into the world to make a name for myself, to earn a living for myself, and to become something great of and by myself." Thereby, we set up a counterfeit identity and develop concern about the health, wealth, success, and contacts of this counterfeit identity. Yet, all the time, even though probably we have never thought of it, we have been completely surrounded by an atmosphere of love and completely enveloped in divine Being. As a matter of fact, we are divine Being. We are the Father-consciousness Itself, but we have walked about in the world, believing that consciousness to be something small, finite, insignificant, and unimportant. The purpose of this ministry is to bring us back to the Father's house, back to a consciousness of the presence and power of God. We are in this work but for one purpose-to be led back to the kingdom of our own consciousness in which God is manifested as divine wisdom, as divine love, as life, truth, permanence, immortality, and eternality. Synonyms for God For a moment, let us consider the synonyms for God, taking just a few with which we are familiar. We know God as infinite being, and therefore, we take each of the synonyms for God as representing the allness and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...aling the Infinity of Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:29- 146K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 8, The Principle
- ~ 8 ~ THE PRINCIPLE Some of you are becoming aware of the fact that a principle of spiritual living and spiritual healing, different from any of the approaches that have been given to you before, is being presented to you. That does not mean that the principle involved is something new. There is nothing new about it; it is the principle revealed by Jesus Christ, as set forth particularly in the Gospel of John. In this principle, it becomes clear to us that we do not judge the spiritual world by looking out upon the human world. Rather, we come into an awareness of what the spiritual world is, through looking out from God. "My kingdom is not of this world." 1 There is no way to judge the spiritual kingdom by looking at the appearance. When Jesus spoke of "the meat to eat that ye know not of," 2 and of the living water, we know that he was showing forth an inner principle; one which those of the world know not, for "having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not?" 3 Yet this is the principle which is capable of feeding, protecting, sustaining, and maintaining us. In this approach to spiritual living and demonstration, we stay with the word God whenever we are called upon for help. We forget, immediately, the name, the body, and the disease of the so-called patient and jump at once to the word God and then go on from there. When we turn to the word God, we say, "What is God?" The answer may come back, "God is life eternal. God is Spirit, therefore incorporeal, and without material embodiment. God is Soul. God is law." The moment that we begin to catch a slight vision of what God is, we go out from there and realize: All that God is, I am. Therefore, am I not as incorporeal-as un-material-as God? I am as immortal and as eternal in my present embodiment as God is, since God does not cast off any embodiment or body. If you stay in that line of consciousness, how can you accept any teaching which believes that there is a body left behind to be buried, while it- ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...g_ Chapter 8, The Principle.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:30- 131K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 13, God Is Not Mocked
- ~ 13 ~ GOD IS NOT MOCKED IT HAS BECOME MORE AND MORE CLEAR to me that the real purpose of spiritual teaching is not merely making the demonstration of daily living, daily harmony, even peace and health, in the human way. There is a higher sense to life than making the organs of the body a little healthier, or making physical life last a few years longer, or increasing one's income by ten dollars a week, or even a thousand dollars a week. Realize that life is spirit; therefore our individual expression of that life must be spiritual, and our entire existence can show forth the harmonies and perfections of spirit, and not merely physical health and wealth. This is the message. Now, one of the scriptural passages that opens to us a great deal of this thought is the one we are using as the basis for tonight's talk. Let me read a line from the book of Galatians, chapter six: "Be not deceived, God is not mocked; for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the spirit shall of the spirit reap life everlasting." 1 Be not deceived; God is not mocked. If you look out at the human world, I am sure you will contend that God is mocked. When you see the sin, the disease, the wars, the depressions, it is an impossibility to believe this verse, "God is not mocked." Surely, God has never planned such scenes as we witness in the human world for its creation. Therefore, if we were to judge by the human experience, we would have to agree that God is mocked. We are told that God said: "I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth," 2 yet not only are the highways filled with death every day, but we send out the flower of youth to make sure they get killed off even faster than we would normally do it in traffic! Yes! In the human scene, God is mocked. Anyone who has ever spent any amount of time in spiritual healing work, any measure of time with people suffering with cancer and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 13, God Is Not Mocked.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:08- 128K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: October 1959, Freeing Ourselves From Universal Claims
- CHAPTER TEN: OCTOBER Freeing Ourselves from Universal Claims IN spiritual healing, there is always the temptation to try to improve the human scene. The first and normal reaction is to attempt to make a sick person well, to obtain employment for the unemployed, to bring supply to the needy, and happiness to the unhappy. Such persistent attempts at human betterment, however, usually result only in failure. Even though you perceive the significance of this point at this moment, you probably will find it difficult in giving a treatment to refrain from the temptation to desire to change the appearance into an opposite, better appearance. The desire to improve human conditions is natural to you and to me, and it was undoubtedly natural also to Jesus Christ, or he would not have had to go away forty days to renew himself, nor would he have had to leave his disciples every once in awhile for that same purpose, because the only renewal any of us ever needs is to break the mesmerism of appearances. That is the only reason we ever have to pray and commune with the Father; that is the only reason we ever have to go away to be still. There is no other reason. Furthermore, even though many of us are not mesmerized by most forms of error, some of us are still mesmerized in a large measure by good humanhood. The destructive and evil aspects of human-hood rarely tempt us now, but many of us are still tempted by its seemingly more desirable aspects, which in the final analysis are but the opposite of the evil humanhood and in the end can be just as destructive. Give Up All Attempts to Change the Human Picture So it is that, when we sit down to help others, one of our first realizations must be, "I am not trying to change sick matter into healthy matter; I am not trying to change a little matter into a lot of matter; I am not trying to make unhappy people happy. My aim in this meditation is to realize, behold, and demonstrate the Christ." In other words, our function is to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...elves From Universal Claims.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:11- 138K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Individual Consciousness as Law
- Individual Consciousness as Law Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth. JEREMIAH 9:23, 24 This statement from Jeremiah can be carried out in practical experience. We are not to glory in the world of effect, whether that effect appears as person, place, circumstance, condition, or thing, because the substance, the reality, does not lie in any effect. The power and the glory, the substance and the reality, the cause and the law lie in the Spirit which produces all that appears to us as form, circumstance, or condition. We can enjoy and use the things of this world, but our faith and confidence must not be centered in the world or in the things of the world. Our faith and confidence must be in the Spirit which produces, forms, and animates all that exists. No Power Acts upon Us The Infinite Way teaches that man is consciousness and that that very consciousness is the cause of body, business, and home. Many people believe that a discordant body, business, or home is due to a power outside of themselves, acting upon them. As long as we accept the belief that there is a power outside of us, just that long will we be seeking to get in touch with a good power to do something for us. If the belief is accepted that a law of time is acting upon our bodies and mentalities, our experience will be on that level. There is no power operating in our experience separate from our own consciousness, but as long as we believe that there is such a power and as long as we are trying to get in touch with it, we shall never contact it. The world has been praying to God for things. It is no more sensible to pray to God for things than it is to pray to the principle of electricity to light your house. Rejoice not ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...vidual Consciousness as Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:19- 120K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 7, Make Life an Adventure
- ~ 7 ~ MAKE LIFE AN ADVENTURE IF THERE IS NO CHANGE in our consciousness today, there will be no change in our outer experience tomorrow. In proportion as some change takes place in our consciousness, in that proportion is there an improvement in our outer affairs- either in health, personal relationships, or supply. If we maintain truth actively in consciousness, it would be as impossible for us to be in the same place today that we were a week ago as it would be to toss raisins into bread dough and not have raisin bread. That which goes into consciousness must come forth as manifestation. That which becomes a part of consciousness as truth must appear as manifestation. There is no such thing as truth and manifestation: Truth itself appears as manifestation. Spirit is not something separate and apart from the forms it assumes. Spirit is the substance, and the form is Its manifestation. Therefore, if truth appears in, or as, our consciousness, if truth appears in, or as, the Spirit of our being, it must also appear as manifested form. All improved states of consciousness must appear as improved experience, but unless we consciously make the decision to act and live in a higher way and on a higher level, we are not going to have the manifestation on a higher level. Just as we have learned not to believe in an evil law or an evil power, so we cannot sit back passively and believe that there is a God or a law that is going to do something good in us, through us, for us, or to us. There is no such thing as a law that acts upon us except as we give it power through our belief in it. We can accept any belief and thereby make it a law unto ourselves. There is no power in the stars to act upon us, but it is possible for us to make a god of anything. We can pick up a piece of metal or a penny and call it a good-luck charm, and in the measure of our faith derive some benefit from it, but that is not the law of God, and it is not permanent. There is no law of evil or of good ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 7, Make Life an Adventure.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:44- 103K
Find Similar Documents