Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Oneness
- ONENESS SPIRITUAL INTERPRETATION of Scripture reveals that there is but one God, one Power, one Presence - and that one good; that evil, therefore, can exist only as illusion or mirage. It further reveals that that God, Presence, Power, is not something separate or apart from me, but rather, is the reality and substance of my very being. "I am He." Viewing Niagara Falls from the front, we wonder that it does not run dry. Seeing it from another direction, we see behind Niagara Falls the great Lake Erie. Now we realize that Niagara is but a name given to Lake Erie where the great Lake tumbles over the Falls. What appears as Niagara is really Lake Erie at the place of the Falls; thus Niagara Falls and Lake Erie are really one and not two. "I and my Father are one." I am that place where God becomes individualized and evident as me. Emerson shows forth his recognition of this Truth in the first paragraph of his Essay, "History": "There is one mind common to all individual men. Every man is an inlet to the same and to all of the same. He that is once admitted to the right of reason is made a free man of the whole estate. What Plato has thought, he may think; what a Saint has felt, he may feel; what at any time has befallen any man, he can understand. Who hath access to this universal mind is a party to all that is or can be done, for this is the only and sovereign agent." And in his poem Emerson writes: "I am the owner of the sphere, Of the seven stars and the solar year, Of Caesar's hand and Plato's brain, Of Lord Christ's heart and Shakespeare's strain." Deep within your inner being there is an invisible Presence which has been felt by the prophets and seers of all ages. Moses felt it in his bosom when shepherding on the hills. Elijah and Elisha communed with it within themselves and performed miracles. It gave power and vision to Isaiah and Jeremiah, Joel, Jacob and all the line of Hebrew leaders. Every man has this divine Presence deep within himself. The Jews call ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation of Scripture_ Oneness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:17- 106K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 5, The I That I Am
- ~ 5 ~ THE I THAT I AM On the spiritual Path you will be tempted, not a hundred times, but a thousand times, to believe in a selfhood apart from the I that I am; you will be tempted to believe that you are that selfhood, or that your son or your daughter is a selfhood separate and apart from God. Each time it will be an effort to remember: I is God; I is infinite being: I is infinite individuality. Then when you have achieved that realization you can rest-but only for a few minutes, until the next temptation comes along. You will not solve all your problems by an intellectual agreement that I is God, that I is infinite, and therefore, that I is infinite wealth and infinite health. Ultimately, that truth will solve all your problems, but not until it has been rooted and grounded in your individual consciousness. As inspiration pours through, as the light comes in, we are lifted into a realm beyond this world; it is almost like living in a dream. But it is not a dream; it is living in reality. However, the difficulty is that every once in a while we come down to earth-we come down to earth, either because our own body starts to make a noise, or someone else's body or pocketbook does. Then it is that we become responsible for the re-establishment in our own thought of our true identity. The secret of discord and the secret of harmony lie in understanding true identity. Regardless of how many books we may write about it, or how many different ways it is presented, the secret is: I is God, and not man. I is consciousness, and not body. I is life eternal: It was never born; It will never die. This truth must be established in your consciousness. Each time error hits up against your thought, in one form or another, it must be rejected with that ultimate realization: I is God consciousness. That I is infinite, eternal, and all-inclusive; It includes within Itself every idea of rightness. But remember, It contains no thought, no feeling, no trace of anything less than ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 5, The I That I Am.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:26- 130K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 13, Messiah
- ~ 13 ~ MESSIAH FOR A FEW MINUTES I WANT TO REPEAT a little of what I talked about this afternoon. This afternoon I was in Vallejo and visited and talked to some students there. Strangely enough, I talked on a subject about which I had spoken here last week and I never said a word that I said last week. Nor did any of the thoughts go in the same direction. I spoke on spiritual freedom and before I was through here that afternoon, the whole thing had turned itself into grace. But today the whole talk took an entirely different turn. I would like to repeat some of it now, because I think it is an important thing for us consciously to remember. The point to which I refer is this: For centuries Jesus had been foreseen and promised as the coming Messiah. The Hebrews had been eagerly watching for his coming; they had been scanning the skies for years for this new Messiah. They were, of course, practically slaves to Caesar and they were not too happy with their church administration, which was also holding them under too tight a bond. So, with the coming of the Messiah, they thought that they would be freed of a lot of these tithes to the church and ten per cent taxes to Caesar and an extra five per cent for good measure and an extra twenty per cent on holidays. That financial taxation was a pretty serious thing. You know, it was almost like taxation without representation. In addition to that, of course, they did not have too pleasant a life under Caesar. So naturally, their expectancy was that when the Messiah came, he would certainly dethrone Caesar and make them a free people and give them their Holy Land in which to live as a free people. That probably was the uppermost thing in their minds. They would own all that territory about Palestine and the Holy Land and be enabled to live free of Rome. They would also be free of their Pharisees and Sadducees and be economically and politically and nationally a free people. Every indication is that is what they were expecting ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...sition_ Chapter 13, Messiah.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:21- 67K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: January 27, 1963, Pure Consciousness
- PURE CONSCIOUSNESS January 27, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii LET US TALK A LITTLE BIT TODAY about consciousness. Consciousness is the most important word in the entire Infinite Way vocabulary. Nothing you can think of can ever take the place of the word consciousness. In our human existence we are states and stages of consciousness or degrees of consciousness. In its pure state consciousness is God, and in its pure state it constitutes our being. The moment we are conceived humanly, the consciousness we are begins to receive conditioning. The worst thing happens from the moment we are born, for we are then conditioned by all that parents think. What fears parents entertain and what hopes they entertain are transferred to the child. Then the child gets into school and is conditioned by school teachers, schoolmates, parents of schoolmates-picking up more conditioning. By the time the child gets out into the world it is convinced of ninety percent of things that are untrue. Then, out in the world, it adds to its own conditioning. From the moment we touch a metaphysical teaching, we begin to condition ourselves along other lines. Suppose it registered in our consciousness when we read, "Call no man your father on the earth: for there is but one, the Father in heaven." 1 If you pondered it and the principle ever registered, you would look around you and say, "Oh, then there is only one Creator and we are all children of that One. Then we are all equal in the sight of God." That alone would wipe out of an individual his prejudices and early conditioning. On this point you have a new consciousness. You have died to the state of consciousness which had biases and prejudices and have become one with your fellow man universally. On this one point you have become a new man. Eventually you would come to another extension of that same idea and could say, "If this is true, we derive our qualities, our inheritances, from that One." Let me give you a quotation from ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...7, 1963, Pure Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:14- 87K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: September 2, 1963, Prayer of the Righteous Man: God Is
- PRAYER OF THE RIGHTEOUS MAN: GOD IS September 2, 1963 Honolulu, Hawaii GOOD EVENING. Truth is a shocking experience and those who are not prepared for a continuous bombardment of shocks should not undertake the search for truth. Probably the first question that a truth seeker would ask himself is this: Why is there so little fruitage from prayer? Whether it is the Protestant prayer, the Catholic prayer, the Jewish prayer, the Buddhist prayer or the Vedantist prayer, why is there so little fruitage? If the search for truth were started in this particular year, the seeker would receive many shocks in reading magazine articles written by ministers telling why people are meeting in small groups to pray, why they are not meeting in large numbers in congregations, why they are seeking outside of their churches. There is a simple answer to all of this and one that every religion should have been able to give. The prayers of human beings are not answered. The prayers that seek to improve the human scene are not answered. The prayers that are aimed at protecting our children or our friends or our relatives or our allies are not answered. Therefore, prayer as it is usually taught is unfruitful, unproductive, and unsuccessful. From the beginning of time we have had warfare and from the beginning of time you may be assured that mothers have prayed for their children, but warfare with all of its destruction has continued. As a matter of fact, it is so intensified in this century that, not only are the boys who go to war endangered or destroyed, even the mothers who stay at home are in danger of being destroyed. Prayer has not altered that situation, nor has it prevented the intensification of war and the added destructive powers of war. Prayer has done very little on a national or international scale, and yet in the Bible we find, "The prayer of a righteous man availeth much" 1 and "I have not seen the righteous begging bread." 2 In the literal sense none of this is true because ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...f the Righteous Man_ God Is.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:20- 110K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 6, The New Name
- ~ 6 ~ THE NEW NAME "To him that overcometh"-more especially to him who overcomes that desire to seek and to search in the outer realm-"will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth." 1 What is that name? Christ. No more are you Jones, Brown, or Smith; no more are you "man, whose breath is in his nostrils;" 2 no more are you a man seeking good; no more are you a prodigal, separate and apart from the Father's house. Now your name is Christ. Is there anything for the Christ to receive? Or is the Christ that which feeds and heals the multitudes, that which restores and resurrects, that which is, in and of itself, the kingdom of all harmony? A new name you receive: no longer man. But would you tell your friends that you are the Christ? No! Never voice such things as "I am God," "I am spiritual," "I am the Christ," or "I am the son of God." Do not ever do that! It would not be true. It would be just the same as going around and saying, "I am honest; I am moral; I am good." You could hardly do that, and if you did, I am afraid your neighbors might suspect you. And they would certainly have every right to suspect you if you ever said, "I am the Christ." Only once or twice did the Master reveal his true identity. He was very, very careful about that. Even when Pilate asked him, "Art thou the King of the Jews?" Jesus' answer was, "Thou sayest." 3 He did not say it! All life is a matter of choices. "Choose you this day whom ye will serve." 4 If you choose, you can remain "man, whose breath is in his nostrils." If you choose, you can continue your search for good, your search for supply, your search for eternality and for immortality. You can continue your search for peace, and sometime or other you may stumble upon it or it may be brought to you. Or you can give up your search this very moment: you can give up your desire for good; you can give up all expectation of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ts_ Chapter 6, The New Name.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:41- 105K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter IX, This Is a Spiritual Universe
- CHAPTER IX THIS IS A SPIRITUAL UNIVERSE Several years ago when I was on my way to South Africa, I stopped off for a day in the Belgian Congo, and after the man in charge of the bookings and his assistant had taken care of all my tickets, made whatever examinations were necessary, and weighed my luggage, I called a little native boy to carry my three bags out to the plane which I was boarding for Johannesburg. This was such a small air station that I could see the boy as he walked out of the gate onto the field with one large piece of baggage in each hand and a small piece under his arm. A few minutes later he returned without any baggage and I said to him questioningly, "O.K.?" to which he replied, "O.K." When I arrived in Johannesburg the next morning, there was only the one tiny little piece of baggage waiting for me, and the other two large pieces were missing. Immediately, the personnel of this tremendously big and active airport at Johannesburg began searching for my baggage, but they did not find it in the enclosure nor was it with the crew's baggage; and furthermore when they sent someone to search the plane, there was no baggage there, either. The person in charge of the airline said that he would immediately contact the station in the Belgian Congo and would soon have an answer for me, so there was nothing for me to do but go to my hotel. The Infinite Way students in Johannesburg had arranged for me to visit Krueger National Park, so after buying some necessary clothing, we started out on our three-day trek through this fabulous wild-animal preserve with the full expectation of picking up my baggage when we returned. But upon our return no baggage had as yet been found. The only explanation the airline had to offer was that somebody must have stolen it, and that that somebody must have been the little native boy and a confederate because the last time the bags were seen was when he had picked them up and carried them out onto the field. The absurdity of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...his Is a Spiritual Universe.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:38- 110K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XIII, The Father Which Seeth in Secret
- CHAPTER XIII THE FATHER WHICH SEETH IN SECRET And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. MATTHEW 6:5, 6 These words of the Master must come as a shock to us when we realize how many people believe that their most effective prayers are those said in church. How many times have we, ourselves, prayed in public, forgetting that, according to Jesus, prayer must be practiced in secret. Of old, the Pharisees and the scribes prayed in public in much the same manner as do most of the people of our world today, and for their much praying, they received the praise of their neighbors: There is only one thing they lost-God's grace. When our prayers become a matter of public utterance, we are inflating our ego, trying to make something of ourselves, setting out to glorify ourselves, not realizing that thereby we sacrifice the reward of the Father and separate ourselves from the very blessings we are seeking. Anything that glorifies ourselves or attempts to make the world believe that we are something of ourselves tends to separate us from the love of God. The whole teaching of the Master is, "I can of mine self do nothing . . . the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. . . . My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." This injunction to pray in secret does not mean that we cannot unite with others in prayer or meet in church or temple for the purpose of prayer because Jesus also taught that "where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." His intent was that we should not attend church because it is the accepted thing to do-fashionable or politic-or because our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ather Which Seeth in Secret.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:41- 101K
Find Similar Documents
The Altitude Of Prayer: Chapter 2, Creating A Vacuum For The Inflow Of The Spirit
- ~ 2 ~ CREATING A VACUUM FOR THE INFLOW OF THE SPIRIT PRAYER CAN NEVER BE ANSWERED unless there is a fitting preparation for prayer and unless the terms of prayer have been fulfilled. And there are terms. One of the terms is humility. Humility is the particular quality that admits God into our experience. True, as we develop spiritually, other qualities can make us more receptive and responsive to God, but one of the first qualities we must acquire is humility. TRUE HUMILITY Humanly our lives have been lived as if we of our own selves could accomplish wonders, as if we were sufficient unto ourselves, with all the wisdom, power, and strength necessary to go out and make or break this world. Too many of us have grown up with too much confidence and faith in our own powers and wisdom, and it is in this respect that the quality of humility must be developed in us. True humility is not self-depreciation, nor is it building an escape mechanism because of a faith in some unknown God or some unknown power. True humility understands that in the beginning God incarnated Itself * as our very being. God has imparted to us Its own nature and qualities. If we are loving, it is because there is a spark of God-love in us. If we are wise, it is because there is a spark of the infinite Wisdom in us. If we are well, it is because there is a spark of the divine Being in us. To understand our dependence upon the Infinite Invisible is the sense of humility that I ask you to ponder. It is not that you are less than another; it is not the sense of humility that bows down before some other human being: it is the humility that acknowledges a divine Grace, a divine Power, a supreme Being in operation. There is nothing of an enduring nature that man needs to pray for or about. That which is always has been, is now, and forever will be. Our praying will not bring it to pass one minute sooner than its time, nor would our cursing hold it back. That which God is doing God has been doing, and God ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...or The Inflow Of The Spirit.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:25- 120K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter VI, God, the Consciousness of the Individual
- CHAPTER VI GOD, THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL Many persons think that they understand the mystery of life because they can trace the growth and development of themselves and their children from a tiny seed at the time of conception to birth, and then from birth to full maturity. But that is not the mystery of life: that is the effect of the mystery of life. The mystery lies in what produced the seed and in what brought this seed into expression. No matter how scientists may theorize as to the origin of life, eventually they arrive at a point that defies explanation because beyond the appearance of everything visible is an Infinitude, a Something that we call Consciousness or Life, and this Infinity is expressing Itself as all form, as the world and everything in it. Everything that is visible first had to have an invisible Something to send it into form, and that invisible Something is Consciousness which sends Itself into expression as a seed and all that comes forth from the seed. Were it not for Consciousness, there would be nothing expressed as form. Regardless of how beautiful a thing may seem to be, how wonderful or how abundant, we must look behind it and realize that it could not exist but for the Consciousness that formed it. A few years ago, a very severe winter was forecast for the Eastern and Middle Western parts of the United States, a prediction based on the fact that the animals were growing much thicker fur than usual, and that they were also storing up more than the customary amount of food for their use during the coming winter. But can an animal decide how much fur it is going to grow? Does an animal know that it is growing fur any more than we know that we are growing hair? Then, what is the underlying cause of the growth of fur on an animal, and why does the fur grow thicker in some years and thinner in others? What causes an animal to store up more food one year than another? Very recently, another prediction was made to the effect that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ciousness of the Individual.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:59- 118K
Find Similar Documents