Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: The Law
- THE LAW THE FIRST COMMANDMENT, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me," is an admonition to look to one source for our good and it indicates that Me or I AM is that source. To this law all must render obedience. I am the one who must obey it. If I lived in the constant awareness of my true identity, it would be impossible for any one to interfere with my demonstration of harmonious, fruitful and eternal life, and if men always heeded the First Commandment, the journey into the Kingdom of God would be a quick one. Obedience to this command requires strict mental discipline. It means that every time you are tempted to place confidence in a power outside yourself, you must mentally argue with yourself (use the law) until you have brought yourself back into the presence and power of your own consciousness. This mental warfare is the law - the letter of truth - and always leads to the Spirit of Truth when faithfully followed. This, the First Commandment, then, is a law which you must literally obey - have no other presence or power than the Universal Consciousness, which is the consciousness of the individual, of you. You exist as infinite, individual, spiritual consciousness. You are not body. You are not limited mind or mentality. You are consciousness. What is this "I" which possesses body, business, home, talent, genius? It is not body. Feet, arms, legs, head - these are mine. But what is this "I" or "Me", that possesses them? There is only one "I", one Ego, one Consciousness. It is God. "I" am therefore universal. It is the "I" of me - individual Ego appearing as you, as me, as all so-called individual men and women. Individual existence is the continuous unfoldment of experience from within your own being. Nothing and no one exists outside your own consciousness. What we behold as person and thing is the idea of reality unfolding as our consciousness. There is in all the universe but one power, and I am that law and power. The consciousness which I am, the only I ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation of Scripture_ The Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:19- 95K
Find Similar Documents
Living Now: Chapter 7, Living Divine Sonship
- ~ 7 ~ LIVING DIVINE SONSHIP The word "consciousness" sums up the teaching of the Infinite Way. It is what we are conscious of that operates in our experience as law. "Ye shall know the truth," 1 and then the truth functions as the law. "Come out from among them, and be ye separate" 2 -give up ignorance and superstition. The Infinite Way teaches that there is only one power, and that we are never to use one power over another or to protect ourselves from a power. Our protection is the realization of our Self as the only power. When we make the statement that God is the only power, unless we realize that the God we are talking about is the I of our own being, we can be led into the false hope that there is some God out in space who can be prevailed upon to protect us. There is no such God. There is no God protecting anyone because there is nothing to be protected from. If we want to be free, we have to leave "this world" and enter God's kingdom. Only in proportion as we can recognize the impersonal, universal nature of error and then realize it as nonpower, only then are we protected, and only then can we do healing work. There is no God and disease. There is only God, and every thing that happens to us as sin, disease, lack, or limitation is an appearance. The recognition of that truth destroys the appearance. God Constitutes Individual Being "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." 3 In the presence of God, there is liberty. In that Presence, there is no entity called sin, disease, or false appetite. We do not heal them: they are illusory concepts, but the illusory concept is always in the mind. There is no such thing as an externalized illusion. When we know the truth, the illusory concept is gone, but nothing has really gone with it. Sin and lack do not go anywhere. We merely prove that they were not there. It is on this point that many metaphysicians lose their way. They believe God is some sort of a power that they are going to use over ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 7, Living Divine Sonship.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:50- 136K
Find Similar Documents
Living Now: Chapter 6, Mind Imbued with Truth
- ~ 6 ~ MIND IMBUED WITH TRUTH Mind is an instrument of awareness. Through the mind we can know and become aware of people, things, and ideas. With the mind we reason; with the mind we think. A human being can gain control of his mind if he is willing to study and practice to attain this mastery; and he can use his mind for a reasoning, a thinking, or a contemplative purpose. But it is the human being who is using his mind, and therefore, that mind must be an instrument or an effect: it cannot be a cause. There is an I behind the mind. There is an I who thinks through the mind and reasons with the mind. In other words, there is an I who uses the mind. Therefore, that I is greater than the mind. Through the instrumentality of the mind, we can think good thoughts or bad thoughts; we can perpetrate good deeds or bad deeds. Mind can be aware of good or of evil. If the mind is the creator of thought, however, and can create good thoughts as well as evil thoughts, then God certainly is not mind. How could mind be God if mind can be the instrument both of good and of evil? God is too pure to behold iniquity; God is light; in Him is no darkness at all; and when we penetrate beyond mind, we are in the realm of neither good nor evil: we are in the realm of pure Being. To have received illumination in any degree is to have revealed within our own being the truth that God is good-not good and evil: good! God is love-not love and hate, just love! God is life-not life and death, just life! God is one, and there is no duality in God, nor are there any pairs of opposites in Him. Once illumination is attained, we are living beyond the pairs of opposites in a consciousness of neither good nor evil. In that state of consciousness, we cannot be good and we cannot be evil: we can just be. The sun cannot be good or evil: it can just shine. If we are out in the sun for the proper length of time, the effect on us is good, but if we are out in it too long and get a severe sunburn, the effect ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 6, Mind Imbued with Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:50- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 18, Mysticism
- ... I believe that since life is eternal, we have always lived and since we have always lived, we must have lived in or out of some particular state of consciousness and therefore some are very, very much further developed than others. If you, this moment, were to pass on, you would not find yourself having to go through all the things you have had to go through until you came to this spiritual awareness. You would very nearly start off where you are this minute as a spiritually developed soul-or very close to it-in some cases, further ahead even because in some cases the act of transition is a freeing one. Now, there isn't enough clinical proof for anyone to make a definite statement that he knows why one person gets healed quickly and another one doesn't. That is not our particular problem at this moment. Our particular problem is this: the development of the practitioner to that point where he neither fears, hates nor loves error; his development of some measure of Christ-consciousness which means divine love, universal love, a sense of forgiveness, a sense of gratitude, a sense of human affection. Don't forget that the command of the Master was, "Love thy neighbor." 9 It was not only love God but your neighbor too. You have to love your neighbor as yourself. He gave those two great Commandments. He was most clear that what you had to do was love God and love your neighbor. You know, we get so absolute about our love for God sometimes that we just forget our neighbor. But we don't want to do that in this work. We want to take the full measure of the Christ. We want to love God with all our heart and with all our soul but we want to love our neighbor, too. And we want to show forth that love in compassion, in patience, in justice, in kindness, in forbearance, in joy-in willingness to share all of the good that God has given us. Above all we want to give up our egotistic belief that we have personal powers as practitioners. Our healings will be in proportion as we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 18, Mysticism.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:22- 158K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 2, Peace
- ~ 2 ~ PEACE Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27 My * peace, the peace of Christ! More healings have been brought about through absolute silence than through all the arguments metaphysicians have thought up in the whole history of the world. When you are called upon for help, sit down and get at peace. Think no thoughts; just sit and wait. Wait. Be patient, and wait for the peace of the Christ to descend upon you. In that moment of peace, without a word, you will witness healing. The only value a treatment has is to lift us to a point or place in consciousness where we are ready for spiritual consciousness to unfold. We are now in a different position from the one in which we found ourselves, when we were functioning with treatments. We have come to that place in consciousness where we are ready for the next higher step. Even if mental argument, affirmation, and denial were necessary to us in the early days of our work, we can now leave such forms alone. Learn to sit down and relax. Whether the case is sin, disease, death, or unemployment; whether or not it is serious, sit down and relax. Do not try to "handle" it. Do not try to "work" on it. Do not try to "treat" it. Sit back and, in silence, create a kind of vacuum for God, for the Christ, to rush in. Sit down and relinquish the thought that the human mind is a healer: Christ is the healer. The essence of the whole work we are doing is this: God is. God is, so let God work in us and through us to Its own end, and as Its own creation. Instead of continuing to use the words, God, God, God, let the actual realization of God do the work, since God is. "My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth." 1 The world can give us a certain kind of peace. It can give us a lack of noise, a quiet country place, or an ocean trip. That is the peace that the world can give. People travel to far places, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Unfolding_ Chapter 2, Peace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:29- 139K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Peace
- Peace Peace I leave you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27 My peace, the peace of Christ! More healings have been brought about through absolute silence than through all the arguments metaphysicians have thought up in the whole history of the world. When you are called upon for help, sit down and get at peace. Think no thoughts; just sit and wait. Wait. Be patient, and wait for the peace of the Christ to descend upon you. In that moment of peace, without a word, you will witness healing. The only value a treatment has is to lift us to a point or place in consciousness where we are ready for spiritual consciousness to unfold. We are now in a different position from the one in which we found ourselves, when we were functioning with treatments. We have come to that place in consciousness where we are ready for the next higher step. Even if mental argument, affirmation, and denial were necessary to us in the early days of our work, we can now leave such forms alone. Learn to sit down and relax. Whether the case is sin, disease, death, or unemployment; whether or not it is serious, sit down and relax. Do not try to "handle" it. Do not try to "work" on it. Do not try to "treat" it. Sit back and, in silence, create a kind of vacuum for God, for the Christ, to rush in. Sit down and relinquish the thought that the human mind is a healer: Christ is the healer. The essence of the whole work we are doing is this: God is. God is so let God work in us and through us to Its own end, and as Its own creation. Instead of continuing to use the words, God, God, God, let the actual realization of God do the work, since God is. "My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth." 1 The world can give us a certain kind of peace. It can give us a lack of noise, a quiet country place, or an ocean trip. That is the peace that the world can give. People travel to far places, but they travel ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...oel Goldsmith Reader_ Peace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:20- 148K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 6, The Substance of all Good
- Chapter Six The Substance of All Good There is no possibility of attaining anything separate and apart from the substance of which it is formed. All attempts to produce anything in the outer realm without achieving the substance of the form must result in failure. So there is no abundance or prosperity to be achieved apart from the substance of abundance or prosperity. In all God's kingdom there is no such thing as demonstrating anything in the realm of effect. The only demonstration that can be made is in the realm of cause, and then that cause appears as effect. Home, supply, and transportation are effects of the one infinite substance, without which substance there could be no effect. The demonstration must begin within our own being, and that demonstration must take the form of achieving, acquiring, or attaining the consciousness of the presence of God. Seek the Substance Whether it is the abundance of health or wealth, that abundance can come in no other way than by demonstrating the substance of which health and wealth are formed. A consciousness of God's presence always appears outwardly in the forms necessary for our immediate fulfillment. The command is to "seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." 1 First of all, it is necessary to understand what the kingdom of God is and what is meant by that term. I learned that only through meditation could I gain that understanding, asking and seeking within the depths of my own being for the answer to that question. Out of that meditation came such explanations or synonyms as the realm of God, an awareness of God, or the consciousness of God. Through that, it dawned on me that the first thing I had to receive was a consciousness or an awareness of God. I had to penetrate through the appearance to the consciousness of God, and then, having achieved the awareness of God, all the things would be added. It is much like saying that if we understood the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., The Substance of all Good.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:12- 122K
Find Similar Documents
The Only Freedom: Chapter 2, Neither Do I Condemn Thee
- ... The evil that we do is an evil against ourselves and results in the opposite of reward-punishment; but this also comes from within ourselves. Even if "man, whose breath is in his nostrils" 3 never discovers the evil deed, never brings us into court, never imprisons us, that which we are in secret knows what we are and it rewards us openly or punishes us openly. When Does Forgiveness Come? The reason the world rises in rebellion against the teaching of the one Self is that it makes every person amenable to himself; it makes him responsible to himself and for himself. It does not permit him the luxury of mouthing such platitudes as, "Oh, God will forgive us our sins." Nonsense! God never forgives our sins any more than God punishes our sins. The punishment for our sin lasts just as long as the sin lasts, because whatever is done, we do it to ourselves. We can forgive each other if we happen to be sufficiently good-natured or loving, but that does not exempt us from the punishment for our misdemeanors. No, regardless of how much we may forgive each other, there is no forgiveness. The only forgiveness is in returning to our Father's house, to our principle, and again living in harmony with that principle. It is pure fiction to believe in some God in heaven who is going to look down and forgive us ... We must rise to that place in consciousness where not only are there no evil human beings but where there also are no good human beings. Everyone takes his rightful place as a child of God. We have not forgiven the trespasses of the world as long as we say, "You are a good human being or you are an evil human being." We understand the nature of forgiveness only when we are able to look through the good and the evil and realize, "Thou art the child of God in whom He is well pleased." Making Peace with One Another It matters not what our sins are outwardly. They represent the generations which have lived with a sense of separation from God. Our sins and our poverty and our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., Neither Do I Condemn Thee.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:33- 115K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 6, Be a Beholder
- ~ 6 ~ BE A BEHOLDER WE WERE NOT BORN INTO THIS WORLD just to do healing work, any more than Jesus came to earth to cure people's ills or raise them from the dead. Lazarus, even though raised from the dead, passed on some time later and probably only a change in the date on his tombstone was involved. The more clearly we can perceive the unreal nature of any form of error and understand that what appears to us as error in any form is not error at all, that there is not really either a sin or a disease that has to be overcome, but that both sin and disease exist only as illusory experience or mental beliefs, the closer we shall come to being free of them and attaining spiritual consciousness, which is of course far more important than the healing work which we are doing in this age and at this period of our unfoldment. It was in 1928 that I lost all desire for the things of the earth in the sense of their having any attraction for me or making any demands upon me. Good music, good friends, good books, and good food still give me pleasure, but these are no longer a necessary part of my experience. I have learned to be in the world but not of it, to enjoy the good things of this world, but not to miss them when they are not a part of my experience. I have become aware of something in people with which I can commune and tabernacle. It makes no difference what their educational, financial, or social background is, I can enjoy mental or spiritual companionship with them. There is nothing of any nature they have that I desire or want or would go out of my way to get. I cannot be too happy when they are with me or too sad when they are away from me. We are just good friends at all times because I have touched a place in their consciousness which makes this possible, and therefore I know them more or less as they really are. I can love everyone on this earth. In fact, I had a very hard time hating Adolph Hider-it was not easy for me to hold harsh feelings even toward him. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...w_ Chapter 6, Be a Beholder.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:44- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 6, Be a Beholder
- ~ 6 ~ BE A BEHOLDER BE A BEHOLDER! BE A WITNESS! Whenever I meet Allen Boone for luncheon and ask him how he is, he tells me, "I am alive, and that counts ninety-nine percent." And I can see that everyone here is alive and, after a whole week of this, I think that is ninety-nine percent! The other one percent you will get resting over the week-end. It must be clear to you, after all of this week's work, that the principal point of what I talk and write about is that what appears to us as error in any form is really not error at all; that there is neither a sin nor a disease that has to be overcome; it exists only as an illusory experience, a mental belief. If we were dealing with disease as a reality, as something which is cause and has an effect, we would have to know a lot more than we do about the body and the things that cause bodily ills; but because we do not handle our healing work from that standpoint, it must be clear that if we are having any results at all, it must be because sin, disease or error do not exist as a reality that must have something done to it. The more clearly you can perceive the unreal nature of any form of error, the closer you will come to being free of it soon and to attaining a spiritual consciousness which is the most important point of all. This healing work which we are doing in this age and at this period of our unfoldment is not really the most important reason we have come to earth. We have not been born into this world just to do healing work, any more than Jesus came to earth to cure people's ills or raise them from the dead. The chances are that Lazarus, even though raised from the dead, passed on sometime later and only a change in the date on the tombstone was involved. And you, too, will find that so far as the actual healing was concerned, all that happened was a change of date on your own tombstone. It was in 1928 that I lost all desire for the things of the earth in the sense of their having or making any demands upon ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s_ Chapter 6, Be a Beholder.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:06- 120K
Find Similar Documents