The Early Years: Chapter 4, Reality
- ~ 4 ~ REALITY Christian Science understands all evil to be illusion and, necessarily, it declares human good equally without reality. It reveals that physical health is as much a belief as sickness. Likewise, material wealth is but the opposite belief of poverty. In order, then, that we do not vacillate between the beliefs of health and sickness, wealth and poverty, friendship and friendlessness, it becomes necessary that we come into the understanding of spiritual reality. Obviously we cannot measure our progress spiritward in terms of days or years of physical freedom or amount of dollars income. The measure of our progress is determined by the degree of our understanding of spiritual values. The natural result of our spiritual progress is a greater degree of harmony in what appears as our human affairs, but when this harmony is the result of spiritual realization we find no fluctuation and no vacillation. This spiritual, or real state of being, is exemplified in the Scriptures in such passages as, "And there shall be no night there," 1 and the revelation of light appearing although the sun was not yet created: "Let there be light: and there was light." 2 Again in the appearance of crops before the seed is planted. In these passages we find good appearing without dependence on material aid or accompaniment. Job says, "and hangeth the earth upon nothing," 3 again indicating spiritual power dependent on nothing tangible to human sense. Jesus fed the multitudes with a few loaves and fishes, and this so-called miracle has never been explained, nor will it ever be to human sense. That spiritual sense comprehends and can duplicate it we know, because of the frequency with which this is done by the spiritually illumined of all ages. Moses fed the multitudes and provided water; Elijah provided food and healed even death, as did the Master Christian. Every real spiritual healing that takes place today is further proof, if proof were needed, that there is a realm of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...y Years_ Chapter 4, Reality.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:40- 87K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 1, Love as Understanding
- ~ 1 ~ LOVE AS UNDERSTANDING We all want to be understood and to be understanding. Most of us wish that those we meet could see into the center of our being, could see what we have been from the beginning, but which no one has yet recognized-not mother, not father, not teacher. No one has ever seen what we really are, and it is because of this nonrecognition that we have worn a mask to hide ourselves from the world. If only the mask that is hiding you from me and me from you could drop from our faces, we would be like children, back in the Garden of Eden. Everyone longs to be understood, but most persons think that that means being known as they are humanly. That is not what it means at all. Those who believe that do so because they do not yet know that the Christ is their true identity and this is really what they would like to show forth. The Master Christ Jesus, too, longed to have his true identity recognized and understood. How obvious is his longing as he asks, "Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? . . . Whom say ye that I am?" He longed to be known as the Christ, but he could not walk out and say, "I am the Christ." Let us not hesitate, however, to say silently and secretly to everyone we meet, "Thou art the Christ, the holy one of Israel. I know thee who thou art." How do we know it? Flesh and blood have not taught us this, nor has the human mind revealed it. Only spiritual discernment reveals to us that God lives on earth as individual you and me. God has incarnated Himself as individual being. God the Father appears on earth as God the son. As we begin the practice of beholding the Christ in everyone we meet-in our household, our neighborhood, the market, the post office, the department store-the world will begin to present a different picture to us. People will act in a different way. The world will respond differently to us because the world will bring back to us what we have given to it. Whomever we meet, we meet in the spirit of letting God's grace ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 1, Love as Understanding.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:53- 80K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: A Lesson to Sam
- ... It is His good pleasure to give you the kingdom, and God does not even hold you in punishment for your sins. Even though you make a mistake, even though you commit a sin, if you are truly repentant in the sense that you realize that you have sinned and that it wasn't right, in that instant you are forgiven. You do not carry around the penalty any longer than you carry around the obstinacy of believing you are right when you know in your heart and Soul you are wrong. Do you understand that? You cannot go around and do wrong and not acknowledge it to yourself and expect that you can receive God's grace. You receive God's grace every time you acknowledge within yourself, "I know I've done wrong," or perhaps, "I don't know that I've done wrong, but if I have, wipe it out, because it wasn't intentional. I never mean to do wrong, but always want to do unto others as I would have others do unto me." In that way, you purify yourself. I have been healed of illnesses merely by asking God's forgiveness for my sins; and of course, my sins are not major ones because you know that is not our mode of living. But whatever it is-when we are guilty of holding people in criticism or condemnation, or when we are not loving enough or forgiving enough-we are sinning against the Holy Spirit. So it is a wholesome thing once in a while to go to God and say, "I realize that humanly I haven't been perfect; therefore, forgive my sins, forgive my trespasses, and let's start all over again." In this way, Sam, you will learn the greatest lesson that I have ever learned, and that is that the place whereon I stand is holy ground. God is right here where I am, and God is available the very minute that I stop talking and stop thinking and turn within in humility, acknowledging God's grace, God's power, God's Spirit within me, and then relax for just a minute or two and let that Spirit take over. That really is all there is to the whole Infinite Way. All the writings of The Infinite Way are only for ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Goldsmith_ A Lesson to Sam.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:12- 79K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: January 20, 1963, The Individual Under God
- THE INDIVIDUAL UNDER GOD January 20, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii LAST WEEK WE SPOKE about the sin of mediocrity. But that can be misconstrued; in fact, the whole subject of individuality can be misconstrued. Everything good has been accomplished through an individual, but so has everything evil been accomplished through an individual. In other words, if we are left to ourselves regardless of talents, they can turn into either good or evil. Even knowledge can be turned into good or bad. In the days of the Black and White Brotherhoods, though their education was the same, the White Brotherhood used knowledge for good, the Black Brotherhood used knowledge for evil. Only when an individual is under God does everything he does serve a purpose of God. No greater issue is before the world today than the individual-the individual under God. Not under God, you have destruction. The cliché that in union there is strength is a fallacy. There was no greater union than England and its empire. Certainly, there was no stronger union than Holland and its colonies. But not being under God, it has been broken. In Russia today the people have as much respect for the individual as we have. Individuals, not the masses, create nuclear power: astronauts, scientists, executives-but individuals not under God. For us there must be a definite knowledge that nothing exists greater than individual capacity and individual integrity, but the individual under God. Only then do we have a government under God and a government working for the common good. An individual can only develop spiritually when he comes to know God aright. When we see a statement like, "I depend not on God nor devil but on my own power," unless it strikes up against a consciousness of truth, that statement can go out and control the world because the world has not understood the non-power of temporal power. Truth always destroys temporal power, but it is the knowing of the truth. Always remember that evil can ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...3, The Individual Under God.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:13- 88K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Meditation: Chapter VI, The Earth Is the Lord's
- CHAPTER VI THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. PSALMS 24:1 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet. PSALMS 8:3-6 In the contemplation of God's universe, the mind is centered in God. As we quietly, gently, and peacefully observe God in action on earth as It is in heaven, we are witnessing the glory of God. Practicing this form of meditation or contemplation, day in and day out, will bring us to a state of consciousness where discursive thought slows down and finally stops. One of these days, as we are engaged in this spiritual activity of watching God at work, a second of silence will occur in which there is no thought of any kind. In that split second, the activity or presence of God will make Itself known to us. From that moment on, we know that God is closer than breathing, nearer than hands and feet, and that the kingdom of God is within us. Out of the void and darkness, out of the stillness of our consciousness, the Spirit of God moves to create for us our world of form: I have come to this quiet hour to contemplate God and the things of God. Every blessing upon this earth is an emanation or an expression of God and God's law: the sun that warms us and the rain that feeds our plants and trees. The stars, the tides, and the moon all fulfill functions of God and yet appear as blessings to man. It could have been no accident that God hung the sun up in the sky, millions of miles away from the earth, just far enough away to give us the proper amount of warmth and the right amount of coolness. God really is the intelligence of this universe-an ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...VI, The Earth Is the Lord's.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:29- 82K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 27, Malpractice
- ~ 27 ~ MALPRACTICE I want to digress today in order to clear up a couple of misunderstandings, which are continually causing difficulties to working Scientists. There is a very prevalent belief that hate, envy, jealousy, etc., coming at us through the thoughts of others, can cause physical distress, sickness, or even death. In other words, it is believed that the evil thoughts of others can adversely affect us. It must be thoroughly understood that this is not so. Thoughts of others, even when directed at us, ignorantly or maliciously, have no power to harm us. Nothing from without can enter that "defileth, . . . or maketh a lie." "Christian Science translates mind, God, to mortals. It is the infinite calculus defining the line, plane, space, and fourth dimension of spirit. It absolutely refutes the amalgamation, transmigration, absorption, or annihilation of individuality. It shows the impossibility of transmitting human ills, or evil, from one individual to another; that all true thoughts revolve in God's orbits; they come from God and return to him,-and untruths belong not to his creation, therefore these are null and void." 1 "What can there be besides infinity? Nothing! Therefore the Science of Good calls evil nothing. Here is where Christian Science sticks to its text and other systems of religion abandon their own logic. Here also is found the pith of the basal statement, the cardinal point in Christian Science, that matter and evil (including all inharmony, sin, disease, death) are unreal." 2 "What is the cardinal point of the difference in my metaphysical system? This: that by knowing the unreality of disease, sin, and death, you demonstrate the allness of God. This difference wholly separates my system from all others. The reality of these so- called existences I deny, because they are not to be found in God, and this system is built on Him as the sole cause." 3 "Animal magnetism, hypnotism, etc., are disarmed by the practitioner who excludes from his own ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...rs_ Chapter 27, Malpractice.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:47- 83K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 28, Richard Davis Lecture
- ~ 28 ~ RICHARD DAVIS LECTURE The Richard Davis lecture in the Christian Science Monitor of December 3, 1935, gives us much to think about. He stated: "When John declared that God is Love . . . he was not endeavoring to formulate a concept of Deity based on sentiment or emotion." This statement of Mr. Davis needs careful study and application. When we are tempted to wonder if we must do something or think something to help our demonstration, we might dwell on Mr. Davis' remark: "Man is not called upon to enforce the law of Love, for it is its own enforcement; but he does become conscious of its existence and experiences the revelation in his own consciousness of its action." Too often we strive to work out our own destiny, and regarding this he says: "The human sense struggles to work out its own destiny even while divine Love waits to fulfill every aspiration soaring toward good." Repeatedly I have referred you to this statement in Science and Health that there is "a divine influence ever present in human consciousness," 1 which we understand to be the Christ, able and willing to do all things for you. Of this, Mr. Davis says: "The Christ in your consciousness will govern every act of your being. It will make you a good man and a successful one, and, if you accept it fully, it will glorify your being." Our message finds support in this paragraph: "Christian Science declares that there is nothing wrong with the real man. The process of Christian Science treatment is not that of changing a sick man into a healthy one, or a diseased body into a well one. God's man is already well and free. It is our privilege to see and know it." And to support this, he quotes from Miscellany: "You can never demonstrate spirituality until you declare yourself to be immortal and understand that you are so. Christian Science is absolute; it is neither behind the point of perfection nor advancing towards it; it is at this point and must be practiced therefrom. Unless you fully perceive ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 28, Richard Davis Lecture.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:48- 90K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 30, War
- ~ 30 ~ WAR Of all the so-called errors on earth, war is the belief most likely to ensnare the Christian Scientist into accepting an illusion as reality. The reason for this is that there always seem to be two sides; one on the right side defending "democracy," "modern society," "Christianity," "freedom," while the other, on the wrong side, would destroy these precious gifts from God to man (which gifts, it would seem, God is not able to preserve without the help of defenders). I am not referring exclusively to either of the "World Wars" because these same conditions have existed in all wars throughout the ages. Christian Scientists cannot say, "A thousand shall fall at thy (my) side, and ten thousand at thy (my) right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee (me)," 1 unless they see through the snare of a right side and a wrong side and realize that there is no such condition as right and wrong because there is no war, no error, no sin, disease or death: God is all; God is omnipresent; God is the only life and being, and in this life which is one there can be no conflicting forces, energies, or desires. Christian Science teachers and practitioners throughout the world, daily assure their students and their patients that there is no disease; that the appearance of such is but the false testimony of human sense; that they are not to fear error nor believe in its reality or power. They are taught and they teach that God is the only mind. Shall they not be consistent and remember that, as this divine mind is the universal mind, and therefore the mind of individual being, there is no lack of intelligence and love in this mind and therefore these qualities of love, intelligence, harmony and peace are the actual and only states of being here and now, regardless of human testimony to the contrary. Only in the degree that we, as disciples of truth and love, maintain in our consciousness this truth of being, shall we be lifted up so as to "draw all men unto me," and thereby ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...arly Years_ Chapter 30, War.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:48- 87K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 12, Fishers of Men
- ~ 12 ~ "FISHERS OF MEN" In spiritual literature and in Scripture, there are many references which might indicate to you that you must change your way of life or you must do something in order to earn the grace of God. Remember what I say to you now: The responsibility is not on your shoulders, nor is it on any other person's shoulders. Therefore, I ask you to refrain from all indulgence in criticism or judgment of everyone in the world, and more particularly judgment, criticism, condemnation, and belittling of yourself and your own understanding because the responsibility to improve yourself is not on your shoulders; it is on the shoulders of the Christ. Rest more in the realization of the Christ as that which is leading, guiding, and directing you. Never believe that the saints and sages and seers of the world, by some great act of their own will, became saints, sages, and seers, because it is not true. Even in this age, we have seen enough of the beloved spiritual lights- teachers, leaders, practitioners-to know that they, by their own will or grace, never gave up their personal sense of life to become spiritual teachers or leaders, but rather that the grace of God pulled them out of the business world or out of their housekeeping duties, and made of them "fishers of men." The Master walked the hillside and as he chose each disciple, his promise was, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." 1 Perhaps you think that there were men of high understanding because they obeyed. No, they had no power not to obey. They had no more power to resist the Master than you and I have right now. When the Master says, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men," you will obey. You have already obeyed in the sacrifice of time, money, effort, study, and meditation that you are making. You have already shown that you have no capacity to resist the activity of the Christ in your consciousness, even if you had the will or the desire, which, of course, you do not have. But ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 12, Fishers of Men.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:42- 89K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 8, Ordination
- ~ 8 ~ ORDINATION I AM GOING TO READ SOME NOTES that I made last night. No, I guess it was this morning; they began about three thirty and ended at five. You took last night's lesson on "error and its nature" so beautifully that tonight I feel that I can give you your freedom; I can give you your freedom from what Jesus called "the world" or "this world." If you can receive this freedom tonight, it will be your holiest night on earth. I give you two statements from the Master: "My kingdom is not of this world," 1 and, "I have overcome the world." 2 In the history of the world, only three men are known to have discovered the complete secret of life of their own accord. These men are Lao-Tzu of China, about 600 B.C.; Buddha of India, about 550 B.C.; and Jesus of Nazareth. Through Jesus, the full revelation came to the beloved disciple John on the Isle of Patmos. Through Jesus, I received it in an unfoldment, first from the statement in the Bible, "My kingdom is not of this world." "My kingdom is not of this world" became the subject of my meditation for many months. I did not choose it, it clung to me. Then, "I have overcome the world." Finally came the realization of the meaning of these statements. I have never known this to be taught since it was received by John, except in his own veiled writing. If you can receive it tonight, God has indeed blessed you beyond all living men and women. Friends, to overcome the world means to overcome or rise above all sense of desire; to be free of world attraction; to achieve being in the world but not of it; to attain freedom from bondage to personal ego; to understand the spiritual world and thus gain freedom from the false sense of God's universe. As we humanly see this world, we are seeing God's heaven, but seeing it "through a glass darkly." To overcome this world means to rise above the human, finite, erroneous sense of this world, and see it as it is. John told us, you remember, that in that day we will see him as he is and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 8, Ordination.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 95K
Find Similar Documents