Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Prayer
- PRAYER SHALL I TELL YOU why there is so much lack of demonstration in metaphysical circles? It is because there is a dependence on statements of Truth - affirmations and denials - instead of an effort to make an actual contact or realization of God- being. Talk about God - Truth - wholeness - health will not do. Talk less. Pray more. What is prayer? Is it some word or message you send to God? No. Prayer is the Word of God which comes to you when you are silent enough, still enough, expectant enough to receive it. This Word of God which you receive in Silence becomes visible as health, harmony, success, peace, joy and dominion where all the world may see it. Until every one of us can report that we receive the Word of God continuously, that we can almost at will feel the divine Presence, there will be need of these reminders. From this point on, there is very little need of our learning more Truth. You already know what God is; what the Christ is; what man is; and you know the nature of error and how it claims to operate. At least you can pass an oral or written examination on these subjects and get no less than 100 per cent. Every one of us is intellectually clear on these major points of metaphysics. If any of you doubt your complete understanding of these metaphysical truths, then hurry up and get yourself letter perfect in them: God - Christ - man - error. The next step is prayer, or treatment. I prefer to think of treatment as a conscious realization, through argument, of the truth about God, Christ, man and error; and prayer as the spiritual consciousness of Truth through Silence. In other words, treatment would deal with the letter, or argument, leading up to realization, and prayer would be the pure Silence and receptivity to the spiritual consciousness of harmony. You understand, of course, that ordinarily in metaphysics treatment and prayer are synonymous, but that I have made this distinction for myself. To me, prayer is a state of receptivity in which ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tation of Scripture_ Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:17- 80K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 2, Teacher & Student
- ... It has nothing to do with today. Today our consciousness is unfolding and disclosing itself in every new way, in every new form, and always increasing abundantly. This subject of God is an infinite one. We will come back to it over and over again, because it is the next most important part of our work. Without the knowledge of God, we would have no knowledge of the effect of God, which is our universe. I want to teach on living this Christ. In the Bible we have certain laws. We have known them mostly as quotations, without taking them seriously as something to be lived. But one of the greatest laws of the Bible is the law of forgiveness, of praying for one's enemies. You may take that very seriously, because it is a proven law. The idea of forgiveness does not mean looking at a human being and remembering the terrible offense he committed against us and then forgiving him for it. There is no virtue in that. The virtue lies in the ability to see through the human to the divinity of his being, realizing that in the divinity of his being there has never been an occasion for error of any nature. It is as if he were asking us for help and we would have to behold him as he really is-a spiritual being. Without their asking for help, we are called on every day to look upon those toward whom we have any negative feeling, and develop this act of forgiveness, which means to turn to the Christ of our own being and there know that nothing but love exists. There never has been a mortal and all that appears as a mortal is the Christ itself, incorrectly seen. That ability to forgive is one of the greatest laws of the Bible. Praying for our enemies is the same idea. It does not mean we are to believe that the other fellow can shoot us first; it means the ability to understand God as the life and the mind of individual man, and to know there is no other mind but that one. Appearances have nothing to do with it at all. We are dealing with the reality of being. In Spiritual ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 2, Teacher & Student.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:19- 144K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter X, Reality and Illusion
- CHAPTER X REALITY AND ILLUSION To recognize that we live in two worlds, the world created by the five physical senses and the world of Consciousness, is to bring ourselves closer and closer to illumination. In the first chapter of Genesis, God made man in His own image and likeness, without any help from anyone. This pure spiritual birth, this immaculate conception, is God manifesting and expressing Himself and His qualities, Consciousness revealing Itself as form. This is pure, unadulterated, spiritual creation, the immaculate conception of man and the universe, God, the infinite Life expressing Itself individually without any material forms, processes, or systems. In the second chapter of Genesis, God not only creates but He miscreates, and because of His mistakes, He has to do it over and over again. First, He "formed man of the dust of the ground," then, He brought woman forth from man's rib, and finally He decided to bring man and woman together for the purpose of creation. Is it reasonable to believe that the infinite Intelligence of this universe needed to make two attempts at creation? This man of earth, "the natural man" who is not under the law of God, "neither indeed can be," is not a man at all: he is a mythical creation of the human mind, of the five physical senses. To make clear how this mind creates, let us examine how it has created a man- made God. Close your eyes for a moment, and take the word God into your consciousness. Do you believe that this is God, or is this not a projection of your mind? Has this God any power? Is there really such a Presence, or is this just a self-created image of your own thinking? Let us go further afield and let us attempt to decide what God is. Instantly to our thought comes an answer, but the answer is not truth, and the answer is not God because the answer is a projection of our background. Anyone who has been an orthodox Christian almost immediately thinks of Jesus Christ. If one's background is Hebrew, he ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter X, Reality and Illusion.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 113K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 9, Making the Adjustment
- ~ 9 ~ MAKING THE ADJUSTMENT NOW I WANT TO EXPLAIN that for tonight at least, I would like you to be very indulgent and very patient while we do a little adjusting. This is the first class I have ever had where we represent such varying states of consciousness. Because of that I want to make a little explanation and then bring together the adjustment of thought. Some here are widely experienced in metaphysical work from the standpoint of the Christian Science viewpoint; some are widely experienced in metaphysical work from the standpoint of other metaphysical approaches; others are almost beginners in metaphysical work and the spiritual approach to life. So, when I talk I am reaching three different thought patterns and expecting all those three to understand the same thing in the same way and it can't be done. For that reason I think this evening should be devoted to bringing about a sort of equalization to see if everybody tonight, after a week of being together, can see what the approach is; then from here on, for everyone to understand the language we use and all that it means. For that reason I would like to start this evening off with questions-questions from you to me and, if necessary, some from me to you. We will see if we can, by means of these questions, answer some of the differences that may exist. One reason for all of this is that I doubt there is any teaching now current that parallels this one. I don't mean by that, that there is any truth we are expressing or voicing that isn't included in all teaching; I don't mean that. I mean that the particular approach, the particular meaning of the truth or use of the truth or the purpose of the teaching is probably different from almost any other teaching in the metaphysical field. To begin with, I will explain this. On the positive side, which is the side of right identification, we are standing wholly on the revelation of Jesus as given in the Gospel according to John. We are not deviating from that in any ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 9, Making the Adjustment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 2, Teacher, Student & Teaching
- ... Only through the development of the spiritual consciousness exemplified by Jesus will all nations finally be enabled to put up their swords and turn them into ploughshares. You may wonder whether or not anyone can live up to a teaching as demanding as this, but it can be done-it can be done individually and collectively. You can begin now to live up to the Master's teaching by forgiving your enemy and by praying for those who persecute you; and if you, as an individual, can do this, the world can. One of the greatest laws of the Bible is the law of forgiveness, of praying for your enemies. But forgiveness does not mean looking at a human being, remembering the terrible offense he has committed against you, and then forgiving him for it. There is no virtue in that. True forgiveness is the ability to see through his human appearance to the Divinity of his being and realize that in the Divinity of his being there has never been, and is not now, error of any nature. It is as if this person were to ask you for help, and in helping him you would have to behold him as he really is, as pure spiritual being. Every day we are called on to look upon all those toward whom we have any negative feeling as spiritual beings and practice this act of forgiveness. This means turning to the Christ of our own being, and there knowing that nothing but love exists. There never has been a mortal being, and all that appears as a mortal is but the Christ Itself incorrectly seen. Like forgiveness, praying for our enemies is one of the great laws of life and of the Bible. This does not mean that we are helpless before the enemy: It really means being able to understand God as the life and the mind of individual man, and to know that there is no other mind but that one. Appearances have nothing at all to do with it. We are not dealing with appearances. We are dealing with the reality of being. Oneness, the Keynote The teaching is that you must individually contact God. God must become real and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Teacher, Student & Teaching.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:16- 144K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 8, The Nature of Error
- ~ 8 ~ THE NATURE OF ERROR Good Evening. You will remember last week we started on two major principles which are unique to the message of the Infinite Way and upon which the healing principles are established. As you know, the subject of healing is a broad one, and these days it includes not only spiritual healing but also mental healing, psychological healing, and faith healing. Today, all of these are embraced under the title of spiritual healing. This is natural because when metaphysical healing was introduced to the world, it was first introduced as "mind healing," which certainly signifies mental healing. Then, later on, the word mind became divine mind with a capital M, and it became a synonym for Spirit. And so, divine mind healing and spiritual healing are now one, yet really meaning mental healing and spiritual healing. Eventually mental healing and spiritual healing became so mixed that all metaphysical healing was a combination of mental and spiritual activity. There is no exact dividing line in metaphysical healing between the mental and the spiritual because you will find in the literature of healing work that the mental argument, the activity of the mind, enters into spiritual healing as does Spirit itself. Later, when the idea of spiritual healing started to become popular, evangelical healers, who were known as faith healers, also adopted the term spiritual healing which was their right because they were working with the Bible and with prayer. So they were fully entitled to use the term spiritual healing. And then another form of healing sprang up which was called spiritualistic healing, that is, healing by mediums through contact with individuals who have passed on. There is a good deal of this practice in the United States, but even more in England. Then spiritualistic lost its suffix, and that practice became known as spiritual healing. And so when you hear the term spiritual healing, do not jump to the conclusion that you know exactly what it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 8, The Nature of Error.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:50- 128K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 1, Laying the Foundation The Healing Principles
- ... When my mind is filled with truth and love, "neither do I condemn thee." All who enter this hall are forgiven their sins of omission or commission. They come into his grace because my mind is filled with his grace, with his word, with his truth, and all who enter here enter the divine presence and receive forgiveness and regeneration. They even find that the lost years of the locust are restored to them by the divine grace which God has given me as truth. "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. "Every word of truth which constitutes my consciousness is bread and wine, water, meat, life, and resurrection unto all who enter my consciousness. Truth is the divine influence; love is the divine influence. If my mind, my consciousness, my soul is filled with truth, spiritual truth and love, all who enter my consciousness partake of that divine bread, meat, wine, and water which is life eternal. Through the truth embodied in my consciousness, I am a law unto you: a law of healing, a law of forgiveness, a law of grace and benediction, even a law of supply. 1 Just think, this is you talking to yourself, thinking within yourself. You are not an isolated person separate and apart from every person in this room. I am in you, you are in me, and we are in God. So ... You are virtually saying, "Don't forgive me as I don't forgive." You are setting the price of your own freedom or bondage. Therefore, in your treatment work, you must provide a minute to consciously release all who have offended, whether it is an offense against you, against democracy, against justice, against nations, or against the word of God. Set them free. Release them. Ask God's forgiveness. Be willing that they be forgiven without penalty regardless of the nature of their offense, even as Jesus forgave the adulteress, even as he forgave the thief dying on the cross. Be sure you are praying that God opens the minds and souls and consciousness of those ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion The Healing Principles.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:48- 134K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 5, 1963, The Word Becomes Flesh
- THE WORD BECOMES FLESH May 5, 1963 Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii LAST WEEK IT WAS BROUGHT OUT that when we come to a spiritual teaching, we are really seeking for our own benefit. At first we do not think of our spiritual studies as having anything to do with the world; we are concerned only with what benefits we or our families will receive. This of course is natural and right because, until we ourselves have attained, we have nothing to give or to offer. If we do attain enlightenment, we soon find that it was not given to us for ourselves but for some God purpose. Be assured that whatever you receive from God is never given to you or for your benefit, because God is not so limited or so personal that he would give you a "pearl" just to wear on your finger. No, you will soon discover that whatever gift or grace you receive from God is given to you for a more universal purpose. I will take you back to the day that started me on the spiritual path. It was a day of threatened war that brought to my thought, "Where is God?" I was not religious, remember, but everyone has heard of God and so where in this danger, I wondered, is God? This started a trend of thought that years later ended with the realization, revelation perhaps, that there is no God in the world and there never has been-that God is only where God is realized, and nowhere else. In other words, where was God during all the centuries of the Hebrews' slavery under Pharaoh? Certainly of all people they prayed the hardest, but there was no God to take them out of the horrors of life under Pharaoh. Yet, when Moses attained his realization of God, that is where God entered the scene. In other words, it entered through the consciousness of Moses. Remember that Moses was not seeking God for the Hebrews' sake. No, his was the cry that is in the hearts of so many people: "Oh God, oh God, where art thou?" But you notice that, almost as quickly as he received his illumination, he was given a mission to take the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...963, The Word Becomes Flesh.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:18- 114K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 12, Questions & Answers
- ... Some scholars do not believe that Jesus ever gave the Lord's Prayer to the world, while others believe that he did. The main reason for this doubt is that the Lord's Prayer is not in keeping, apparently, with the Master's teaching. The Master did not teach that it would do us any good to ask God for any such thing as daily bread. He taught: "Your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him 3 . . . [and it is his] good pleasure to give you the kingdom." 4 One Bible authority claims that when the translators came to that part of the New Testament where the disciple said: "Teach us to pray," 5 the Master did not reply. Scholars believe that something was lost, and then when they found the page on which what is called the Lord's Prayer was written, they inserted it in that place. Regardless of whether or not the Master did give us the Lord's Prayer, do not forget that in it there are laws just as there are in all of his teachings. In other places as well as in the Lord's Prayer, he taught the law of forgiveness, and through that law, we "forgive our debtors," 6 for in proportion as we are able to "loose him, and let him go," 7 does our own consciousness become free. If parts of the Lord's Prayer-or all of it-have meaning for you, it does not matter whether or not it was a part of Jesus' actual words. Whatever is true, is true regardless of its source. We can get good wherever we find it. Personally, I find much wisdom in that particular passage: "Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors." 8 Question: Should a practitioner assume responsibility for a case? Answer: Our attitude should be the same with a human being as it would be with a dog, a cat, or a crop. The truth we know should be outwardly manifested in healing, whatever the condition may be. However, just because we accept the responsibility does not mean that we shall always be able to bring out the healing. A human being differs from plants, crops, or animals because a human being has the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 12, Questions & Answers.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:31- 175K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: February 1957, Major Principles of The Infinite Way
- ... You will always know a Christly man or woman because those who touch them on life's highway find life eternal, health, and wholeness, and receive spiritual blessings through their contact with these men and women. The Nature of Prayer To understand the nature of God in this way and to understand the Christ- mission must, of course, reveal to you the nature of prayer. Now, you can no longer pray for anything, but must confine your prayers to asking, seeking, and knocking for spiritual wisdom, spiritual guidance, spiritual bread, wine, and water. When you learn to turn to the Father for the revelation of God in your experience-for the actual demonstration of God in your experience-then, and only then, are you beginning to understand the nature of prayer. It is important while studying the nature of prayer to read the New Testament very carefully and to note that the Master makes it more important that we pray for our enemies than that we pray for our friends. There is a reason for this. You see, understanding and forgiveness are two of the major qualities of Christ- consciousness. For this reason, the Master taught that we are to forgive seventy times seven and that we must forgive our enemies, those who oppress us and those who hate us and despitefully use us. And so until we learn to pray for our enemies and to forgive them, we are really not praying in the sense of prayer as revealed by the great Master. As you read what I am saying to you about the nature of God, the nature of the Christ-mission, and the nature of prayer; it is almost certain that you are pausing at the end of every paragraph to read over again what is written and probably to weigh the meaning of what you have read. If so, you are beginning to meditate, to ponder, and to dwell on truth and in truth; you are obeying the Ninety-first Psalm: "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High," and to him, of course, come none of earth's tragedies. While you are thus pondering within yourself the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nciples of The Infinite Way.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:00- 155K
Find Similar Documents