Consciousness Transformed: February 2, 1964, Realizing the Non-power of Appearances
- REALIZING THE NON-POWER OF APPEARANCES February 2, 1964 HUMAN EXISTENCE IS GOVERNED principally by emotions, and if you analyze your relationships with your family, your business associates, your friends, and your enemies, you will notice that very little reason enters into the relationships. It is mostly emotion, which is why most people lose money in speculation, because emotion controls them more than reason. When emotion controls you, you have no opportunity of benefitting by principles of life. When you are facing a situation and withdraw emotion long enough to realize the impersonal nature of the appearance, you immediately begin to dispel it. The natural tendency is to personalize and that is why it has been said, and rightly so, that it is unwise to discuss either religion or politics. The reason, of course, is that emotion enters in and makes it virtually impossible to talk about these subjects objectively. You would very quickly see what I mean if you could be in England during a pre-election campaign and witness how little emotion enters into the speeches by political candidates. The arguments are always aimed at the candidate's proposition, not at an individual. This is approaching politics with a minimum of emotion and a great deal of objectivity. In the same way we think of disease, sin, lack, and limitation as having to do with a person or persons, and so we center our arguments mentally against a certain person or a certain political party or that church group or that race, and this has been the error that binds men in slavery. There is no possibility of freedom from the human emotions and human passions except by the realization of the impersonal and invisible nature of error which may be operating in and through a person or a group. You do not cure a tree of its illness by cutting off its branches. You lay the axe at the root. Likewise, if you want to cut off the operation of evil in your individual or collective experience, you also have to lay ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he Non-power of Appearances.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:10- 99K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 19, 1963, An Idea Whose Time Has Come
- AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME May 19, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel ON MAY 12 WE STARTED off with this paragraph: "There is a principle of life not yet known to the world, but known to you through your studies of The Infinite Way. The effects of this principle have been known throughout all known time, but the principle itself has not been known." The principle of which I spoke is that truth received and embodied in consciousness becomes known worldwide without any human effort or human striving. Just by abiding within one's Self with the revealed truth, it has a way of establishing itself. This does not always happen as quickly as we would like it to happen, but when we are dealing with truth we must learn that "a thousand years is as one day and one day can be as a thousand years." 1 There will be periods of thousands of years when little progress seems to be made, then suddenly in one day more progress is made than in a thousand years. This was illustrated by the Civil War. The idea of giving freedom to the Negro was not really a result of the Civil War; in fact, the Civil War was a failure and did not give that freedom. However, the fact that it took place was in line with all that had been unfolding in human consciousness since the days of Greece, on up through the Magna Carta, the French Revolution, the American Revolution, the Brazilian Revolution. All of this is the out breaking into human experience of an idea in consciousness. I believe it was last week that we were given the quotation of Victor Hugo: "Nothing is so powerful as an idea whose time has come." Ordinarily this quotation is attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, because it was he who made the quotation famous. But strangely, in the editorial in this morning's newspaper it is correctly attributed to Victor Hugo, and in the correct manner in which we used it last week. In other words "its time has come," and nothing is going to stop the breaking down of racial prejudice. Furthermore, if you had access ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...An Idea Whose Time Has Come.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:19- 107K
Find Similar Documents
Living by the Word: Chapter 4, Easter - An Experience of Consciousness
- Chapter Four Easter: An Experience of Consciousness To think of Easter as commemorating the resurrection of a man who died or was crucified two thousand years ago is not experiencing the real meaning of Easter; it is not being conscious of its great significance. Resurrection is an experience. It is an experience of truth, and the purpose of the Master's resurrection was not merely to prove that he could raise himself up from the dead, because of what value would that be to us? No, it was to exemplify his basic teaching that the dead are to be raised, whether "dead" in sin, "dead" in lack, "dead" in ignorance, or "dead" in disease. The dead are to be resurrected, raised up into life again. As a matter of fact, the idea of resurrection is a part of the teaching of all mysticism, all religious teachings, and all truth-teachings. There are persons who are sick, sinning, dying, and dead, and without resurrection, that is where they remain. There are persons in the prison of their mentality, and without resurrection, that is where they are left. Eventually, all mankind must be resurrected, must be raised out of the inertia of humanhood which in itself is death. Simply continuing on and on in the same old pattern, this is inertia, this is "death." The Master proved that to be resurrected took something more than having twelve disciples around him, or eleven, and asking them to pray with him. There is more to resurrection than that. Probably many of those disciples were very good practitioners or healers, and although Jesus did ask them to stay awake and to pray with him, this did not result in his resurrection. In the end, he had to pray alone; in the end, he had to realize his own resurrection and ascension. Why was that? To understand the reason, we must begin with the premise that the crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension took place within his own consciousness. It is true that part of our resurrection comes because of the Master's experience and the experience of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Experience of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:47- 123K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 7, When We Indulge In Condemnation
- When we stop our heckling of people, when we stop our fault-finding, when we acknowledge that the world is returning to us what we are sending out into the world, then is the Spirit of God dwelling in us. When we have learned to forgive the offenses aimed at us personally, racially, religiously, and nationally; when we have learned enough of forgiveness, then the Spirit of God truly dwells in us, and when we are obedient to the ninth commandment, which is "do not bear false witness against your neighbor." 3 Ordinarily, that is understood to mean that you shouldn't gossip or tell tales or repeat scandal about your neighbor, but in The Infinite Way, it has a ... Scripture tells us that "love is the fulfilling of the law," 13 so do not try to get the law to operate in the absence of love, and love means forgiveness. Love means forbearance. Love means to be inwardly clean: clean of hate, jealousy, envy, malice, greed-all of these negative, minor qualities. It may not be possible to go through an entire day or night without some of these negative emotions creeping in on us. That is why we became human beings instead of remaining in the Garden of Eden, but we can purge ourselves twice and three times a day, so we look every man and woman in the face and say, "I have released you into the realization of your God-being. I know that you and the Father are one, and 'all that the Father hath is yours.'" If you only knew what it meant to come into the pres- ence of a person who is not sitting with a mind full of criti- cism, judgment, or condemnation, or, more positively, to come into the consciousness of a person who understands and forgives and forgets; come into the consciousness of a person whose gentleness is such that no thought even enters their secret mind of any harsh nature. Thus do you see we become a center, and everyone who comes within range of our consciousness feels what the world calls "love" because forgiveness is an attribute of love. Understanding is an at- ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 7.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:06- 64K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: October 1956, The Demonstration of God
- CHAPTER TEN: OCTOBER The Demonstration of God NOTHING from outside your own being can be added to you. All truth abides within you. You are Self-complete in God. There are, no doubt, many ways or methods of coming into an awareness of spiritual truth. For instance, if one were to retire from the world, spending months or perhaps years in unceasing meditation and prayer, gradually the truth would come forth and announce itself, and ultimately all the truth that has been disclosed since the dawn of civilization would be realized. But such a somber and ascetic approach is by no means necessary, for even in this modern day of worldly pressures and demands it is possible to come into this realization without leaving one's human surroundings and interests. One such way is by means of a devoted and consecrated study of spiritual wisdom, and, more especially, through contact with the consciousness of an illumined and enlightened teacher. Throughout the ages such a method or system of teaching has been in operation, whereby teachers with some measure of spiritual enlightenment are enabled to open the consciousness of those who seek them out. In reality, such a teacher does not impart truth at all, but, in much the same way as the sunlight opens the bud into the flower, he merely opens the closed door so that the truth already embodied within the consciousness of the student can flow forth into visible and tangible manifestation. This was the significance of the Master's words: "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." In proportion as he himself has received some measure of spiritual insight and realization, a teacher can draw others up to that level of consciousness. The reason an individual becomes a student of spiritual truth in the first place, devoting his time and effort to studying and attending lectures and classes, is because something he has read or heard strikes a responsive chord, and inwardly he has a feeling that this is not ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...6, The Demonstration of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:10- 115K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 16, Healing and Silence
- ~ 16 ~ HEALING AND SILENCE From the time a patient asks for help, the responsibility for the healing lies with the practitioner. It is the practitioner's responsibility to live, move, and have his being in and as divine Presence; and his life must be lived according to that standard. He must have grown into that state of consciousness in which he realizes his oneness with God in full measure, so that he does not look to person, place, or thing for anything and never permits such things as envy, jealousy, malice, or lust to enter his consciousness. We do not set ourselves up as healers of disease; we are followers of the spiritual way of life, in which, if you seek first the kingdom of God, all these other things will be added unto you. It is a most marvelous thing that a grain of this truth does so many wonders. Very often people who are not on the spiritual path can easily be healed by a practitioner. Nevertheless, even the Master found those he could not heal because of their unbelief. Many times he asked people if they believed that he could heal them. When he spoke of belief and faith, he really meant a belief and faith shown forth in actions. He knew how many are invited to the spiritual feast and how few come: they are too busy with other engagements. No Practitioner can take the responsibility for bringing about a healing if the patient is continually filling his mind with the pleasures and pursuits of this world. If the patient insists on listening to the radio or watching television from morning until night, or sitting at a card table or cocktail table, hour after hour, he is separating himself from his good, because, having ears, he cannot hear what Spirit is saying. He would not get a healing if it were sitting on his door-step, because he would not be at home. "Having eyes, ye see not, having ears, ye hear not." Certainly the patient does not hear or see if he is so busy with worldly things that he does not have time to listen for the voice of the Lord ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 16, Healing and Silence.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:29- 119K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter VI, Unconditioned Mind
- CHAPTER VI UNCONDITIONED MIND The basic secret of mind is that there is only one mind, and that mind is the mind of individual being-your mind and my mind. The implications of this profound statement have never been fully understood. The world at large does not know this, although it has been known to metaphysicians of all schools. When it has come to actual practice, however, an entity separate and apart from the one mind called mortal mind or the human mind has always been introduced and accepted as a power. Actually, there is only one mind, and this mind is unconditioned: It has no qualities of good or of evil; it is a state of being, not good and not bad. In reality, there cannot be intelligent mind and ignorant mind; there cannot be healthy mind and diseased mind, for mind is unconditioned. Furthermore, mind forming itself as body is unconditioned; and therefore body is neither well nor sick, tall nor short, thin nor fat. Body is as unconditioned as the mind which is the essence of its form. Mind and body, being unconditioned, are a state of absolute being and perfection until the belief of good and evil is accepted into thought. Human experience is in reality the perfect mind, your mind and my mind, which manifests as perfect being and body, but which as human experience is influenced by the knowledge of good and evil. This belief in two powers is the essence of what is called the carnal mind. To return to the Father's house and once more become the son of God, it is necessary that we individually-for no one can do this for us because it is an individual experience-give up the belief in good and evil through an activity of our consciousness. Mind forms its own conditions of matter, body, and form. Mind does not create; mind forms. Creation is already complete-spiritual, eternal, and perfect -but our mind, depending on its conditioning, forms and interprets our human experience on this plane. If our mind is completely free of the judgment of good and evil, then ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter VI, Unconditioned Mind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:39- 94K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 6, The Light Breaking Through
- ~ 6 ~ THE LIGHT BREAKING THROUGH Primal, original Consciousness is pure, infinite, harmonious, and all-good; and this is the consciousness of individual being. When we cut ourselves off or are cut off from that infinite divine Consciousness and come to have a mind and a life of our own, separate from God, we are no longer under the law of God. Life then becomes a matter of chance, a statistic: sometimes good and sometimes evil, but more often evil than good. The only hope for a restoration to harmony is to return to the Father's house and be united again consciously with God. Fortunately, this does not depend upon us. It is not our human efforts that bring us back to God. It is the grace of God breaking through. I hope that none of us will ever think that we brought ourselves to a spiritual teaching or that we are responsible for remaining on the spiritual path or for any spiritual progress in our life. This would destroy all our chances for real progress. If we think of the millions of people on earth who from almost any standpoint are as good or better than we are and who are not on the Path, but are surely entitled to be on the spiritual path as much as we are, it must be clear that we have not come this far because we deserve it or because we have chosen God. To believe that we of ourselves have chosen a spiritual pathway would be egotism in its final stage. No, God has chosen us. The finger of God has touched us, not because we have earned it, deserved it, or are better than the rest of mankind, but for reasons which go back long before our present experience on earth, reasons that have to do with evolving consciousness which always comes to fruition in its own time. "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you. . . . I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." 1 As we evolve from state to state of consciousness, at last we return to where we were in the beginning with all the glory we had with God before the human ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... The Light Breaking Through.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:23- 87K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 17, 1963, God Constitutes My Consciousness
- GOD CONSTITUTES MY CONSCIOUSNESS February 17, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii LET US MAKE A MOVE that separates us from most of the metaphysical world. As humans we have our supply in money, or the representation of money, and we find health in the body. If the heart beats so many times, if the assimilation acts according to this rule, if the elimination acts according to that rule, then we have health. We associate intelligence with the brain and we find our life in breathing. Take away our breathing and we have no life, or we find our life in the functioning of the heart. When you come to our work, what you are really doing is making a transition, so that your healing work is never in correcting what is wrong in the body or the mind or the pocketbook. I think it is in The Infinite Way that you will find, "You cannot meet a problem on the level of the problem." So, if you are faced with a problem, if you try to do something to that problem, you would not succeed. You first have to move outside the realm of the problem in order to find harmony. We find our harmony in spirit, and you might call this the point of demarcation or separation. We find our harmony in spirit, in consciousness. Since God is consciousness, and since God is supply, we find our supply in God or in consciousness. In the same way, since God is health, we find our health in God or in consciousness. Even the Bible knew this, that "God is the health of your countenance." 1 Yes, health must be found not in the body but in consciousness- then the body expresses health. Likewise with supply. You must leave the realm of the mental and material and find yourself elevated to consciousness. We have to find our health, we have to find our supply, we have to find our intelligence in consciousness; even our longevity we must find in consciousness. If we try to perpetuate ourselves by patching up the body, the results would be temporary. Medically it is possible to change sickness to health and, if ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...onstitutes My Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:12- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Living by Grace: Chapter 9, Freedom in God
- CHAPTER 9 FREEDOM IN GOD Some nations seek political freedom-freedom from dictators and concentration camps. Other nations seek freedom from religious bondage-from teachings that hold them in bondage and make them slaves of men rather than servants of God. Any nation that has gained political, economic, or religious freedom has had to fight hard to attain that freedom and must work even harder to retain it, because there are those who would take that freedom away. There is not one moment of the day when someone, somewhere, is not plotting to control the minds and bodies of individuals, to control nations and the world itself. Not all the enemies are in foreign countries; some can be found within a country itself. The freedom we seek is a spiritual freedom-a freedom in Christ, in God. It is not a freedom from anyone or some circumstance or some condition of lack, limitation, sin, or disease-although we may have started out seeking only that kind of freedom. Spiritual Freedom Spiritual freedom is a freedom attained in God. There is no such thing as freedom from anything or anyone. The longer we attempt to gain freedom from sin, disease, death, lack, or limitation, the more we are kept in bondage to such conditions. What we must seek is freedom in God, in Christ-a spiritual freedom. Originally, we were given spiritual freedom as a divine inheritance, but there was an experience in consciousness called "the fall of man" or the "prodigal experience" in which we set up a selfhood apart from God. We thereby lost our divine inheritance, and spiritual freedom is no longer something that is given to us. Now we must struggle to regain our spiritual freedom. We cannot regain it until we return to the state of consciousness we call oneness, unity, or union with God. Like the prodigal son, we must return to the Father's house. Our spiritual freedom is not gained through the efforts of others. The efforts of others can only instruct us and give us a little wisdom. Throughout the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 9, Freedom in God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:47- 90K
Find Similar Documents