Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: The True Sense of the Universe
- THE TRUE SENSE OF THE UNIVERSE THE BELIEFS WE ENTERTAIN about the body constitute our sense of body. The truth about body is something entirely different from our concepts of it. The body itself is perfect. It is as immortal and eternal as Soul, God, which is the substance and Principle of the body. Your body - seen through the universal material beliefs of the world - was born, matures, ages and dies. This very body when correctly known, that is, spiritually discerned, is the very appearing of Soul-substance, Spirit-substance, eternal being. It is neither functional nor organic. What appears to us as functions and organs are our false finite concepts of the activity of Mind appearing as spiritual body or spiritual formation. As long as we entertain a material concept of body, we will have concern for it - we will cater to it - and find in it both pain and pleasure. As we continue to lift our concept of body until we gain the realization of what our body really is, we will find less and less of either pain or pleasure in it until we arrive at the state of consciousness where we realize the body as an impersonal vehicle or mode of expression. Every suggestion of discomfort or inharmony coming from the body must be met instantly with the understanding of the true nature of body as spiritual. Only as we understand that errors of sense exist merely as suggestion and false sense, can we find freedom from the pains and pleasures of the body. We are never correcting the body, its so-called organs or functions. We are correcting the false concept or sense of body. All we have said here about body is equally true about business, home, security, wealth. "My kingdom is not of this world." There is nothing of God, or reality, in the world we see, hear, taste, touch or smell. The failure of religion in this age is due to the lack of this vision. Theology is attempting to spiritualize a mortal concept of God - called man. This man and his universe is no part of God, because God ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... True Sense of the Universe.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:19- 91K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XI, The Nature of Spiritual Power
- CHAPTER XI THE NATURE OF SPIRITUAL POWER The development of spiritual consciousness is possible when we learn that there is only one power. If we can rise in spiritual vision to the apprehension of the one truth that God is, that God is infinite and omnipotent, and therefore nothing else or nobody else is power, that is enough. This is spiritual discernment. To the world, there are great powers and little powers, but he who is anchored in spiritual consciousness knows that no weapon that is formed against him shall prosper. If we accepted that literally, we would believe that there is a deadly weapon that could prosper except that God in some way is going to save us from it. To the uninitiated, that passage would indicate, "I have an enemy who has a deadly atomic bomb, and I know what it can do to me, but fortunately God says that no weapon that is formed against me shall prosper, and therefore I am now immune, and this deadly weapon can no longer harm me." But the weapon does do harm when it is let loose in the world. And this is because people do not understand the real meaning of no weapon having power over them. The truth is that no deadly weapon has power because Life is God; and God has never made anything to destroy His own immortality and eternality. God is our life: we are eternal and immortal. If we look out at this life through our mind, we are subject to every manner of deadly weapon: germs, bullets, bombs, and so many other things we need not rehearse them. Even an automobile on the road can be a very deadly weapon, and, above all, the calendar is so deadly that all we have to do is to keep looking at it for threescore years and ten, and then any day we are due for extinction. But the deadliest weapon of all is the mind of man that believes in two powers, and therefore accepts a mind of its own in which evil is a power. Neither bullet-proof vests nor bomb-proof shelters can save us from that weapon. Only in the understanding that we are life eternal, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...e Nature of Spiritual Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 108K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 8, Ordination
- ~ 8 ~ ORDINATION I AM GOING TO READ SOME NOTES that I made last night. No, I guess it was this morning; they began about three thirty and ended at five. You took last night's lesson on "error and its nature" so beautifully that tonight I feel that I can give you your freedom; I can give you your freedom from what Jesus called "the world" or "this world." If you can receive this freedom tonight, it will be your holiest night on earth. I give you two statements from the Master: "My kingdom is not of this world," 1 and, "I have overcome the world." 2 In the history of the world, only three men are known to have discovered the complete secret of life of their own accord. These men are Lao-Tzu of China, about 600 B.C.; Buddha of India, about 550 B.C.; and Jesus of Nazareth. Through Jesus, the full revelation came to the beloved disciple John on the Isle of Patmos. Through Jesus, I received it in an unfoldment, first from the statement in the Bible, "My kingdom is not of this world." "My kingdom is not of this world" became the subject of my meditation for many months. I did not choose it, it clung to me. Then, "I have overcome the world." Finally came the realization of the meaning of these statements. I have never known this to be taught since it was received by John, except in his own veiled writing. If you can receive it tonight, God has indeed blessed you beyond all living men and women. Friends, to overcome the world means to overcome or rise above all sense of desire; to be free of world attraction; to achieve being in the world but not of it; to attain freedom from bondage to personal ego; to understand the spiritual world and thus gain freedom from the false sense of God's universe. As we humanly see this world, we are seeing God's heaven, but seeing it "through a glass darkly." To overcome this world means to rise above the human, finite, erroneous sense of this world, and see it as it is. John told us, you remember, that in that day we will see him as he is and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 8, Ordination.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 95K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 26, 1963, Spiritual Love
- SPIRITUAL LOVE May 26, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel IN THE JULY Letter, you are going to have the first three of this series of talks, and in following letters there will be more. You will remember that we started with the unfoldment of God as infinite divine consciousness. Because this same God, this same infinite divine consciousness is individual consciousness, we therefore draw forth our good by "opening out a way for the imprisoned splendor to escape." We do this not from the consciousness in a holy temple, or a holy city, or a holy savior, but from our consciousness, from the divine consciousness which is your individual consciousness and mine. That is why meditation is the entire secret of harmonious spiritual living-because meditation is retiring into our innermost being, praying secretly within ourselves, and then letting spiritual good unfold. From this you catch a further glimpse that God never was a Jew, or a Christian, or a Mohammedan, or a Hindu-but rather that God is spirit and the spirit of God in you is the only God. Whether or not you were erroneously taught that you were a Christian, a V edantist, or a Buddhist, you have learned that it is absurd to have any racial or religious prejudice for the simple reason that we all have the one Father. "Call no man on earth your Father. There is but one Father, which is your Father and my Father." 1 We all have the same God and, fortunately for us, it is "closer than breathing, nearer than hands and feet." This understanding, and this alone, can make for the "Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Man." Otherwise we live our lives on the basis of tolerance and, if you were ever tolerated by anybody, you would know what a terrible word that is. In all of the seventeen years that I have traveled with the message of The Infinite Way, only three men in the United States from the metaphysical world have come into spiritual fellowship with me. I have met only three with whom I could completely unite in spiritual ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ay 26, 1963, Spiritual Love.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:20- 100K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 11, States & Stages of Consciousness
- ~ 11 ~ STATES AND STAGES OF CONSCIOUSNESS And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant. Jeremiah 1:9, 10 That was not said to a man; that was said to a state of consciousness, a state of spiritual consciousness. That state of consciousness not only roots out, but it also plants; it destroys, but it builds. The only thing that it tears down and destroys is a false sense, a false sense of God, a false sense of the universe, a false sense of your individual being and body: What it builds up is the realization of true identity-a knowledge of the world as it really is and of all that is in the world. There are states and stages of consciousness, however, and when we are working in the human world with our human resources, with our human wisdom and physical strength, we are living in and through a material state of consciousness. The world as a whole was for the most part in a state of material consciousness until the middle of the nineteenth century when it advanced into a more mental state of consciousness. Always, there have been a few people who have to some extent known the mental realm-the artists, writers, and visionaries of all time. When the power of the mind was first brought to the attention of the world at large during the middle of the last century, the world seemed ready to advance into a mental state of consciousness, and it began to do mentally what had formerly been performed physically. In other words, healings of the body which had formerly been accomplished by means of medicines, herbs, or plasters now were being brought about by "thinking thoughts," by mental suggestion, at times even auto-suggestion. All types of healing by mental means came into being, from the out-and-out hypnotic to that which was just a mild form of suggestion or auto-suggestion. The Mystical State ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s & Stages of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:35- 127K
Find Similar Documents
I Stand on Holy Ground: Chapter 5, Nothing Takes Place Outside of Consciousness
- Chapter Five Nothing Takes Place Outside of Consciousness One of the most important principles of the Infinite Way is that God constitutes individual being. This means that God constitutes your being and mine. God manifests as our life, mind, spirit, and soul. Even our body is the temple of God. This is the spiritual truth about every one of us. God has given us dominion over "the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."1 God created us in His own image, giving us His life, soul, spirit, and intelligence and, in so doing, He gave us dominion over ignorance, superstition, and darkness. This dominion is our spiritual birthright and makes us a law unto our life's demonstration. All Error, a Mental Imposition We are human beings because we have forfeited our birthright of dominion and turned it over to what the Master called "this world." 2 At the very instant that the newspapers, radio, or television announces an impending epidemic, human beings open themselves to becoming victims of the epidemic. They permit it to become a part of their experience by means of mentally imposed suggestions from outside. It is not that anyone has maliciously started the rumor just to make them ill: it is in universal human consciousness, and it is thrust at all of us. Without knowing the underlying truth of being, we may passively accept it with a "Well, what can I do about it? I'm just a statistic. So if forty out of a hundred get it, I may be one of the forty." If we escape it, we consider ourselves lucky. Actually, we are responsible for being victimized by the mass hypnosis only because we do not know how to avoid it. We do not know what caused it or how to prevent it. The Presidential election of 1916 illustrates the effect of any kind of mass hysteria. The incumbent president was re-elected because he had kept the nation out of war, clear-cut evidence that the public did ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ce Outside of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:36- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 11, Spiritual Supply
- ~ 11 ~ SPIRITUAL SUPPLY IN THE METAPHYSICAL WORLD, it is common practice to try to demonstrate supply, companionship, home, or transportation. In a mystical message such as The Infinite Way, however, this is an incorrect basis from which to work because a person is then working from the premise of I-have-not. That is virtually sin; it is acknowledging a sense of separation from God, from good, from completeness and infinity. We do not go outside our consciousness to demonstrate anything because the infinite divine Consciousness is our individual consciousness and embodies infinity. Therefore, we have nothing to do with drawing supply to us, but rather with drawing the indwelling supply forth from us. As long as we are living in a material sense of world, we will think of supply as purely material, which always consists of something external to us to be acquired: money, a home, automobiles. But in the real world of Spirit, supply is not external to us, nor is it ever to be acquired, attained, or sought after, because in the spiritual realm supply is what I am: I am the bread; I am the meat; I am the water. With no thought whatsoever of anyone or anything in the external realm, we turn within and commune with our inner being and abide in the realization of a completeness inherent in our Self. When we understand that, we can look at everyone and see how wholly independent each one is of the other because of the principle of Self- completeness. The one Life is caring for us and drawing unto us all that is necessary for our fulfillment. This Self-completeness which we are and which supplies us so abundantly is not really for us: it is poured into and through us as fruitage to be shared. Before we can begin to share, however, we must rise out of the material sense of life that thinks it must get. We do not have to acquire, strive, or struggle: we only have to stand still in the realization of Self-completeness and Self- containment. THE UNIVERSAL NATURE OF SUPPLY "I and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 11, Spiritual Supply.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:45- 102K
Find Similar Documents
Living Now: Chapter 8, Beyond Words and Thoughts
- ~ 8 ~ BEYOND WORDS AND THOUGHTS Religion is a thing of the heart, and yet, without some specific knowledge of the principles underlying a religious teaching, a knowledge of which must be an activity of the mind, it is impossible to have a full and complete religious life. It is possible to find the religious life in a church, but living the spiritual life is not dependent on a church, and there are many religious persons in places where there are no churches. Religion is of the heart, and no one is religious except as the heart motivates him. That is why it is impossible to give religion or a religious instinct to anyone. This is something that takes place within an individual when he is ready for the spiritual experience, or, as they say in the Orient, when he is "ripe." One can have this religious instinct and pursue it and yet not fulfill himself unless certain principles of the religious life are revealed in one way or another, principles which make it possible to attain illumination, fulfillment, and that peace that passes understanding. In the Infinite Way writings, many principles of life are set forth. No one of us can demonstrate all of them, but if we live with them and take them into meditation, those necessary for our experience will reveal themselves to us. It usually takes several years after we have received a spiritual idea or principle before it becomes a part of us and before we can demonstrate it. It is so with everyone. We hear a spiritual principle expounded, and we read about it. In fact, we read it over and over again, and we hear it on tape recordings or in lectures or classes, and because of this much reading and hearing, we think we know it and wonder why we cannot demonstrate it. This is normal and natural and true of all of us. Even principles that have come through my own consciousness and my own lips have not really become mine until several years later. They did not register in a demonstrable degree when they were first revealed to me, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., Beyond Words and Thoughts.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:51- 142K
Find Similar Documents
Living The Infinite Way: Chapter Two, Attaining the God-Experience
- CHAPTER TWO ATTAINING THE GOD-EXPERIENCE We must understand that the message of The Infinite Way is not to give the world a new teaching, but to give the world an experience. The Infinite Way is actually a God-experience, a Christ-experience. The Infinite Way is not its writings, lectures, or classes. These are the instruments leading us to The Infinite Way, but The Infinite Way itself is the God-experience. It became very clear to a serious student one day, while meditating upon the subject of the desert and water, that talking about water or thinking about it would not quench his thirst. Not even seeing or touching water would satisfy. Only by drinking, and thus experiencing water, is thirst quenched. Almost from the beginning, I have realized that no matter what truth, or how much truth, we know, truth is not a healing agency. What we know of truth is merely a step leading to a certain state of consciousness, and that state of consciousness is the healing agency. When one does not know the correct letter of truth, it is very difficult to acquire the spirit or consciousness that leads to the actual God-experience. So the earnest reading and study of the letter of truth are steps to opening consciousness to a final experience; and when that experience takes place, harmonious living is quickly revealed and manifest. It is essential that we understand the nature of God. Unless we know the nature of God, there is no way of knowing the nature of true prayer, because prayer is the avenue leading to God, and it is through prayer that we make our contact with God. It is through prayer and communion that we have the God-experience. If we pray and our prayers are not answered, we can be assured, as James said, that it is because we have been praying amiss. If we have been praying, that is, knowing the truth, and have not arrived at the demonstration of harmony in our experience, we might just as well be honest with ourselves and admit, "I have been praying amiss; I have not ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ttaining the God-Experience.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:56- 97K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 15, Universality of God
- ~ 15 ~ UNIVERSALITY OF GOD IN THE BOOK OF JOHN, just before the twelfth chapter, we have the Master raising Lazarus from the dead. When Chapter twelve opens the Master is coming to Bethany and there, a supper is prepared for him. The supper is prepared by Mary, the sister of Lazarus, and Lazarus himself is at that supper. Of course, this little town is very much excited about all of these experiences-Lazarus being raised from the dead; Lazarus even eating supper after having been dead and in the tomb. We, of course, might imagine that this was an occasion for rejoicing and for everybody to be happy and celebrating. But that is only because we are apt to think too quickly and to believe that the whole world wants truth, that the whole world wants this evidence of the dead being raised to life and sinners being reformed. In this experience there were two of these events: one the raising of the dead, and the other, Mary Magdalene kissing the feet of the Master, pouring oil upon him-a sinner reformed. But the "world" as a world does not like these things, and more especially the Church that cannot produce such healings, dares not like them, and here we find the first murmurings of resentment and discontent, rising to greater heights and here the Master realizes that trouble lies ahead. We are in Chapter twelve beginning with verse 23: Jesus says, "The hour is come, that the Son of Man should be glorified. Verily, verily, I say unto you; except a corn (kernel) of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit." 1 Now, here, just for a moment, we have the principle, the very principle itself, on which my own unfoldment is based. Everything that you are reading in my writings, all that you will gather from my classes, is based on that very statement that unless the seed "fall into the ground and die," it does not bear fruit. Translating that into our language of today, it means this: that unless we die to our humanhood, we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 15, Universality of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:08- 119K
Find Similar Documents