Living by the Word: Chapter 5, Transforming the Unillumined Human Mind
- Chapter Five Transforming the Unillumined Human Mind We are born into a state of spiritual ignorance, and in that state we do not have the benefit of truth operating for us. It is for this reason that some of us come into the world physically or mentally handicapped, and it is possible for anything to happen to us of either a good or an evil nature. Because personal experience is the result of what is taken into the mind, as long as our mind is the human mind with its good and evil, we will live the experience of the human mind, which is a false sense of mind, both good and evil. The mind, however, in and of itself, is neither good nor evil: it is merely an instrument of awareness. A mind imbued with truth will bring forth harmony of mind, body, business, home, or family, but only in proportion to the degree in which that mind is stayed on truth. A mind imbued with ignorance, that is, one that accepts a materialistic view of life, must bring forth a life after its own image and likeness, which is also material, and therefore, both good and evil. Until we are led to some truth- teaching, however, we do not have the capacity to choose whether our mind is to be imbued with truth or whether it will remain under the domination of world beliefs. Up to that time we are in ignorance of the truth that our mind, when it is imbued with truth, will bring forth harmony, but when it is ignorant of truth and accepting the world's materialistic beliefs, it brings forth discord and inharmony. Abiding in Truth Leads to the Illumined Consciousness As we come to a truth-teaching, we learn that there is a truth which is contrary to human belief and also contrary to some orthodox religious teachings. First of all, we discover that there is no God sitting around in heaven worrying about whether we have an accident, become enmeshed in sin, or succumb to a disease. Our prayers to this unknown God are of no avail. Truth-teachings reveal that the reason these prayers have not been effective ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... the Unillumined Human Mind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:48- 121K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: April 1957, Resurrection
- CHAPTER FOUR: APRIL Resurrection IT is said in Scripture that the last enemy that shall be overcome is death. The Master, Christ Jesus, proved this statement by raising the dead. "For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth . . . wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye." 1 With such scriptural authority, you should realize that death need be no part of anyone's experience. Acceptance of a process which culminates in passing on is but the acceptance of a universal belief so tenacious that, according to the Master, it is the last enemy that will be overcome. That is probably true. It may take many, many generations before we come to that place in consciousness where we can say with assurance: I need not die. I, my true identity, my God-identity, can raise up this temple every three years, every three days, every three months. I am continuously renewing this body. I, the Christ of God, the reality of man, am forever about the Father's business of sloughing off, rebirthing, renewing, restoring, and resurrecting this vehicle for my expression. That I, the Christ, can never be revealed to mortal or material consciousness, but our realization of the Christ uplifts consciousness, until it is so spiritualized that it can behold the inner vision of eternality and immortality here and now. Let us go back through the years to the resurrection of the Master. Why did only about five hundred people witness the risen Jesus? There were multitudes at the Crucifixion, but only about five hundred witnessed the bodily Resurrection. Why? When Jesus stepped out of the tomb, he walked out of it in the same form in which you and I will walk out of our tombs when, to human sense, we seem to pass on. Not one of us will ever remain in a tomb longer than three days, and most of us will never find ourselves in a tomb. We shall have arisen before the burial takes place. But only those with spiritual vision will be able to witness our resurrection. You will be well on the road to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...m_ April 1957, Resurrection.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:56- 148K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 19, 1963, An Idea Whose Time Has Come
- AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME May 19, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel ON MAY 12 WE STARTED off with this paragraph: "There is a principle of life not yet known to the world, but known to you through your studies of The Infinite Way. The effects of this principle have been known throughout all known time, but the principle itself has not been known." The principle of which I spoke is that truth received and embodied in consciousness becomes known worldwide without any human effort or human striving. Just by abiding within one's Self with the revealed truth, it has a way of establishing itself. This does not always happen as quickly as we would like it to happen, but when we are dealing with truth we must learn that "a thousand years is as one day and one day can be as a thousand years." 1 There will be periods of thousands of years when little progress seems to be made, then suddenly in one day more progress is made than in a thousand years. This was illustrated by the Civil War. The idea of giving freedom to the Negro was not really a result of the Civil War; in fact, the Civil War was a failure and did not give that freedom. However, the fact that it took place was in line with all that had been unfolding in human consciousness since the days of Greece, on up through the Magna Carta, the French Revolution, the American Revolution, the Brazilian Revolution. All of this is the out breaking into human experience of an idea in consciousness. I believe it was last week that we were given the quotation of Victor Hugo: "Nothing is so powerful as an idea whose time has come." Ordinarily this quotation is attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, because it was he who made the quotation famous. But strangely, in the editorial in this morning's newspaper it is correctly attributed to Victor Hugo, and in the correct manner in which we used it last week. In other words "its time has come," and nothing is going to stop the breaking down of racial prejudice. Furthermore, if you had access ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...An Idea Whose Time Has Come.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:19- 107K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 6, The Middle Path
- Chapter Six The Middle Path Most persons are praying to God and turning to the Christ to have their nets filled with fish instead of following the Master's teaching to leave their nets. Leave all! Do not seek companionship; seek My companionship and see what happens. There is a new dimension, another plane of consciousness, in which a person does not seek human good, human companionship, or human supply, in which he does not seek anything of a human nature. Rather he seeks to forsake his dependence on things as well as his dependence on mother, father, sister, or brother. Then he gains the spiritual sense of parenthood, childhood, husbandhood, wifehood, and spiritual wholeness. Spiritual Regeneration Is the Goal of Infinite Way Work Let us assume that someone who is ill has asked for help. With that call for help, you are being presented with a human being, at the moment ill and aging. Even if he is only sixteen years of age, he is aging. In traditional metaphysical practice the idea is to make this person well. If he tells you that he has a temperature of 104 degrees, and calls up later to say that it has gone down to 102, you breathe a sigh of relief and say, "Isn't that fine?" An hour later he calls and tells you that it is 98.6. Ah, that's perfect! The next person may call because he has burned himself and is in pain, but when an hour later there is not even a scar where the burn was, again comes that sigh of relief. The call may come that another person is dying, and the doctor's prognosis is that he will be gone in three hours, but three hours after the call for help the patient is sitting up, drinking orange juice. Again comes that sense of "How wonderful!" That is all based on the fact that John Jones was dying, but now he is alive. As a matter of fact he may be so alive that he goes to work the next day and is run over by a trolley car. In the early years of my practice I had two experiences similar to that. After years of being under a doctor's care, a man ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 6, The Middle Path.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:14- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 6, The Light Breaking Through
- ~ 6 ~ THE LIGHT BREAKING THROUGH Primal, original Consciousness is pure, infinite, harmonious, and all-good; and this is the consciousness of individual being. When we cut ourselves off or are cut off from that infinite divine Consciousness and come to have a mind and a life of our own, separate from God, we are no longer under the law of God. Life then becomes a matter of chance, a statistic: sometimes good and sometimes evil, but more often evil than good. The only hope for a restoration to harmony is to return to the Father's house and be united again consciously with God. Fortunately, this does not depend upon us. It is not our human efforts that bring us back to God. It is the grace of God breaking through. I hope that none of us will ever think that we brought ourselves to a spiritual teaching or that we are responsible for remaining on the spiritual path or for any spiritual progress in our life. This would destroy all our chances for real progress. If we think of the millions of people on earth who from almost any standpoint are as good or better than we are and who are not on the Path, but are surely entitled to be on the spiritual path as much as we are, it must be clear that we have not come this far because we deserve it or because we have chosen God. To believe that we of ourselves have chosen a spiritual pathway would be egotism in its final stage. No, God has chosen us. The finger of God has touched us, not because we have earned it, deserved it, or are better than the rest of mankind, but for reasons which go back long before our present experience on earth, reasons that have to do with evolving consciousness which always comes to fruition in its own time. "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you. . . . I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." 1 As we evolve from state to state of consciousness, at last we return to where we were in the beginning with all the glory we had with God before the human ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... The Light Breaking Through.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:23- 87K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Healing: Chapter V, What Did Hinder You?
- CHAPTER V WHAT DID HINDER YOU? As children you have all played the game where you make chalk marks, little squares, on the sidewalk. Somebody chases you until you are inside one of the square boxes and you cannot get out until you pay a forfeit. Who says you cannot get out? There is only a chalk mark there to keep you in, but the rules of the game say you must remain there, and so you do. That is good fun as long as it is a game, but would it not be tragic if the other children went home while you were in that box and did not release you, and you felt that you could not get out of the box? And yet, all you would have had to do would have been to step across those lines. The Master, Christ Jesus, watched people imprisoned by "chalk marks"- multitudes of them. They sat crippled at the gates and in the streets, but he merely looked at them and said, "Wilt thou be made whole? . . . Rise, take up thy bed, and walk." And they arose and walked. They found that there was nothing hindering them: They were just obeying a rule of human life which says that under certain conditions or at a certain age a person may be paralyzed, and this they had accepted. Jesus saw the chalk mark there, and in his conviction that there was nothing hindering them, they got up and walked. To Lazarus, he said, "Lazarus, come forth," and Lazarus came forth. What was hindering him? The rules of the game of human life! So people will continue to suffer until somebody comes along who sees that the laws of sin, disease, and lack are chalk marks and, in his spiritual discernment, asks, "What did hinder you?" The Master told us that we must become as little children in order to accept the truth. Very often the reason for delayed healings is the spiritual healer's inability to be childlike enough to see a white chalk line where somebody else has seen a death date or has accepted a certain period as necessary for the disease to run its course. People see three chalk marks instead of one when it is an ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter V, What Did Hinder You_.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:32- 129K
Find Similar Documents
The Contemplative Life: Chapter 7, The Dice of God Are Loaded
- ~ 7 ~ THE DICE OF GOD ARE LOADED During the past one hundred years, the world has learned a great deal about the laws underlying natural phenomena; and because of this increase in knowledge, power heretofore unknown is now being harnessed and utilized. There is another law, however, a far different kind of a law that has been known to the world for thousands of years, although never understood or practiced by any very large segment of the population. If this law could be known and practiced, it would not only set individuals free, but entire communities as well. There is perhaps no better way to explain this law of life than to quote from Emerson's essay on "Compensation": There is always some leveling circumstance that puts down the overbearing. . . . Though no checks to a new evil appear, the checks exist, and will appear. . . . The dice of God are always loaded. Yes, "the dice of God are always loaded." What a statement! What tremendous significance can be found in those few words! Think back to Caesar who governed with an iron hand, to Genghis Khan, to Alexander the Great, and as we come to more modern days, think of the Czars of Russia, think of Mussolini, Hitler, and Stalin. Call to mind the all-powerful ones who could not be conquered, who carried everything before them. Think! Go back in history and you will find dozens of other illustrations, and see if you do not agree that "the dice of God are always loaded." Even though at the moment there appears to be nothing to stop the onward march of tyranny, of evil in one form or another, inevitably these checks appear and become manifest. As Ye Sow "There is always some leveling circumstance that puts down the overbearing," but Emerson does not state what it is that creates this leveling circumstance. He might have done so, because he knew what it was. It is the law of as ye sow so shall ye reap: whatever you do to another, so it shall be done unto you; whatever you bind will bind you, but whatever you set free ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... The Dice of God Are Loaded.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:39- 129K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XI, I Say Unto You
- ... And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. MATTHEW 6:5 Jesus had a way of seeing through human nature, and in this statement he strips bare of pretense those people who gather in churches solely to be seen of men. And he had a word also for the people who resort to and depend on affirmations: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. MATTHEW 6:7 The Master had an answer for everything. He knew that God is our Soul, closer than breathing and nearer than hands and feet; he knew that there is nothing going on within us that the Soul of us does not know. Therefore, while we may possibly hoodwink the man standing beside us, we certainly cannot fool the Man standing within us. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. MATTHEW 6:14, 15 To live humanly is to forgive in one instance and withhold forgiveness in another; it is to judge, condemn, and criticize, to live the human way in which we might feel justified in retorting, "Well, look what he did-he deserved it." Jesus, however, brought to light a spiritual way of life which takes no cognizance of what anyone thinks, does, or is. He merely said, "Forgive." Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. MATTHEW 6:16 There again is the human desire not only to be good, but to want everybody to know about our goodness. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father, which is in secret. MATTHEW 6:17, 18 Here is Jesus' reversal of the whole human picture, and if we follow his teaching, we do not advertise ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter XI, I Say Unto You.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:40- 116K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 1, God Is Individual Consciousness
- ~ 1 ~ GOD IS INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS To experience God unfolding as individual consciousness is the purpose of the Infinite Way. It is a revelation within your own being of your own being, an experience which takes place within you. The kingdom of God is within you. As a matter of fact, you are the individualization of all that God is: "Son, all that I have is thine." 1 Therefore, the work of the Infinite Way is to reveal the Infinite Invisible within you to that part of you which we call the outer, the visible, or human being, which, in reality, is not a human being at all, but a divine being. The world interprets the human scene in human terms, and therefore that which is appearing in and to the world as a human being, that is, as you or as me, through this work, will receive from within the depth of his own being the revelation of his true nature. The impartation, then, in this work, is not from one intellect to another. It is divine Consciousness revealing Itself as individual being. The things of God are foolishness with men, but "if any man have ears to hear, let him hear." 2 Let this message solidify as your own individual consciousness; let the words go round and round in your own consciousness until you catch the inner vision of what is written in these pages: Then, it will become your own. After that, you will be able to teach it, but not in my words, in my language, or by using my experiences; it will become your own individual unfoldment of this same truth. In metaphysics, you cannot teach the letter of truth and get very far. The real teaching is the importation of spiritual consciousness. If I give you something that I have merely heard or read or memorized, it will bring forth no real response from within you. Unless the teaching has become my very consciousness, you will not be able to take it in. The only truth which you will receive in consciousness from reading this book is that which is a living part of my own being. You will catch the fire of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Is Individual Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:29- 154K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: December 1958, The One Great Miracle
- CHAPTER TWELVE: DECEMBER The One Great Miracle SPOKEN or written words can never adequately convey the idea of the Christ. There is no way to understand the Christ except through the spiritual capacity of discernment-the Soul-capacities. Words are always inadequate. In Hebrew Scripture, the term for the Christ is the Messiah. The Hebrews have always looked forward to the coming of a Messiah, but no one knows whether, in the beginning, they were expecting a man or whether they understood the term Messiah to mean a power or a presence. But whatever their concept of the Messiah, they knew Its function and what might be expected of It: The Messiah was to bring them freedom. That may be interpreted as political freedom since they were political slaves, or as economic freedom since they were in bondage to poverty, or as physical or moral freedom since there is no doubt but that they were slaves to sensuality and to the characteristics that were bred in the conditions in which they found themselves. It may be that they thought of the Messiah as freeing them from outside influences, or they may have understood the word more correctly than we imagine: They may have understood the Messiah to be that which freed them from themselves-from their slavery to sense, their slavery to false ideas, their slavery to ignorance. To me, the Messiah is that which frees us from ourselves, from a limited sense of self. We are never enslaved by anybody or any condition, except by that which we have either made or accepted for ourselves. We make our own conditions of slavery or we passively accept conditions without a realization that there is that within us which could set us free. The Hebrews, however, did come to a place where their expectancy was a man. Isaiah speaks of that man as the Prince of Peace, the mighty Counsellor, one whose name shall be called Wonderful. To a man of such enlightenment as Isaiah, it may be that although using the term, "man" or "he", he really was referring to a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...1958, The One Great Miracle.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:59- 128K
Find Similar Documents