The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Barriers to Spiritual Attainment
- Barriers to Spiritual Attainment As human beings we all want or need something, and it is the desire for that something that blocks our spiritual development. It is the desire or need for something apart from God that sets up within us a sense of separation from Him, or leads us to believe that we could be satisfied with something other than the presence and power of God. The very desire for something good, something as good as to be of service, is a barrier to spiritual development for we have no right to want anything, even to want to do good. We have only one right: to want to know God. Then, if God places us in some form of service-teaching, healing, nursing, painting, writing plays or books, or whatever it may be-we perform our work with joy and gladness because we are permitting ourselves to be transparencies through which God can shine. But for us to desire to do any of these things would be to glorify ourselves, and that is wrong. It is difficult to live the spiritual life because in the human picture we are continuously desiring something-to be something, to do something, to benefit or to bless someone-and that is the barrier to spiritual development. The dissolving of the barrier comes with the relinquishment of our desires, wants, wishes, or outlining, so that we can go to God pure, not asking for supply, companionship, or to be of service, but asking only that God's grace be established in us, that God envelop and permeate us, that we may come to know Him aright, realize our oneness with Him, and thereby become consciously one with the creative Principle of our being. That is all. We, then, have no further needs, no further wants, no further desires. The Fruitage of Conscious Oneness with God To live in conscious union with God draws to us all that is necessary to fulfill our experience as long as we do not outline what that experience is to be or desire it to unfold in some particular way. That union with God, acting through us, forces us into the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ers to Spiritual Attainment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:16- 141K
Find Similar Documents
The Only Freedom: Chapter 11, Making Your Contact with God
- ... I have received only one grain and there is all the rest of the sand on all the beaches of the world for me to go before I ever get to the place of saying, "Stop, Lord, I have enough." I pray, too, every day: "Give me daily bread." But I don't mean food, I mean more of this light, more illumination, more conscious awareness of God's presence. "Fill me more with the spirit of God. Illumine me." That is what Jesus meant when he said, "Give us this day our daily bread." Asking God to Forgive for Us When the Master prayed, "Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors," 3 it is not likely that he was asking to be forgiven in the way we think of forgiveness. He was probably indicating that we are forgiven as we forgive, and he may have been praying for more grace to be able to give more forgiveness. Well do I remember an experience when I was called upon to rise above a very disagreeable experience concerning one of the students. The hurt was deep for the moment, and it was bad medicine to have to take. In my meditation when the word came to forgive, I answered, "Oh, Father, that's more than I can do. I just haven't risen that high yet. I cannot be that forgiving in this case. I would like to be. Don't think I wouldn't but I'd be a hypocrite if I were to say I have achieved it. But I will tell you what You had better do, Father. You take over and do the forgiving for me because I don't seem to have the ability." And the Father did. Immediately the weight was lifted off my shoulders, and the assurance came that God's forgiveness was right there where I was. That took all the responsibility away from me. It is hypocritical to make absolute statements of truth as if we had already demonstrated them. It is true we must forgive seventy times seven, but that doesn't mean that we are always going to find it easy and sometimes we may even find it almost impossible. If we do find it almost impossible, we will be relieved if we turn to the Father: "I would like to forgive ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...aking Your Contact with God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:35- 116K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XIX, Attaining Divine Sonship
- CHAPTER XIX ATTAINING DIVINE SONSHIP When we have encompassed the First and Second Degrees, a new dimension of life, an entirely different area of consciousness, opens up to us. In that moment there is something within us that is no longer a quotation, an affirmation, or a recalling of truth: it is an experience. We have entered the Third Degree, where we no longer live by the standards of this world, where the values are different, and life is governed not so much by what the outer law is as by what our inner integrity is. It is at this point that we pass from law to Grace. As human beings we live under man-made laws which continue to operate as long as we remain in ignorance, and until we are awakened, we are held in slavery to all kinds of mental and physical laws. As we come to an awareness of a spiritual Presence within us, we gradually become immune to these laws because as we pass into the third stage, the Presence lives our life, and It cannot be influenced, nor can It be acted upon by physical or mental laws: It is immune to them for they are only theories, superstitions, and the universal belief in two powers. In proportion as the son of God is raised up in us, these laws do not operate, and not only are we not receptive or responsive to them, but we aid in nullifying them for others who may come to us. When an immunity is developed to material and mental laws, we live in an entirely different world because then we do not have to take the law into consideration, nor do we have to be concerned about things. Having found the kingdom of God and dwelling in it, something else is taking over the responsibility for our entire experience. The government is on His shoulder, on this divine Son which in the Third Degree is now raised up in us. In our humanhood It was dormant; It stood by and could do nothing. Regardless of what wrong was done to us, we had to resign ourselves to it unless our human wisdom or strength could provide an escape for us, and in most cases ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...X, Attaining Divine Sonship.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 97K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 26, 1963, Spiritual Love
- SPIRITUAL LOVE May 26, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel IN THE JULY Letter, you are going to have the first three of this series of talks, and in following letters there will be more. You will remember that we started with the unfoldment of God as infinite divine consciousness. Because this same God, this same infinite divine consciousness is individual consciousness, we therefore draw forth our good by "opening out a way for the imprisoned splendor to escape." We do this not from the consciousness in a holy temple, or a holy city, or a holy savior, but from our consciousness, from the divine consciousness which is your individual consciousness and mine. That is why meditation is the entire secret of harmonious spiritual living-because meditation is retiring into our innermost being, praying secretly within ourselves, and then letting spiritual good unfold. From this you catch a further glimpse that God never was a Jew, or a Christian, or a Mohammedan, or a Hindu-but rather that God is spirit and the spirit of God in you is the only God. Whether or not you were erroneously taught that you were a Christian, a V edantist, or a Buddhist, you have learned that it is absurd to have any racial or religious prejudice for the simple reason that we all have the one Father. "Call no man on earth your Father. There is but one Father, which is your Father and my Father." 1 We all have the same God and, fortunately for us, it is "closer than breathing, nearer than hands and feet." This understanding, and this alone, can make for the "Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Man." Otherwise we live our lives on the basis of tolerance and, if you were ever tolerated by anybody, you would know what a terrible word that is. In all of the seventeen years that I have traveled with the message of The Infinite Way, only three men in the United States from the metaphysical world have come into spiritual fellowship with me. I have met only three with whom I could completely unite in spiritual ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ay 26, 1963, Spiritual Love.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:20- 100K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: September 2, 1963, Prayer of the Righteous Man: God Is
- PRAYER OF THE RIGHTEOUS MAN: GOD IS September 2, 1963 Honolulu, Hawaii GOOD EVENING. Truth is a shocking experience and those who are not prepared for a continuous bombardment of shocks should not undertake the search for truth. Probably the first question that a truth seeker would ask himself is this: Why is there so little fruitage from prayer? Whether it is the Protestant prayer, the Catholic prayer, the Jewish prayer, the Buddhist prayer or the Vedantist prayer, why is there so little fruitage? If the search for truth were started in this particular year, the seeker would receive many shocks in reading magazine articles written by ministers telling why people are meeting in small groups to pray, why they are not meeting in large numbers in congregations, why they are seeking outside of their churches. There is a simple answer to all of this and one that every religion should have been able to give. The prayers of human beings are not answered. The prayers that seek to improve the human scene are not answered. The prayers that are aimed at protecting our children or our friends or our relatives or our allies are not answered. Therefore, prayer as it is usually taught is unfruitful, unproductive, and unsuccessful. From the beginning of time we have had warfare and from the beginning of time you may be assured that mothers have prayed for their children, but warfare with all of its destruction has continued. As a matter of fact, it is so intensified in this century that, not only are the boys who go to war endangered or destroyed, even the mothers who stay at home are in danger of being destroyed. Prayer has not altered that situation, nor has it prevented the intensification of war and the added destructive powers of war. Prayer has done very little on a national or international scale, and yet in the Bible we find, "The prayer of a righteous man availeth much" 1 and "I have not seen the righteous begging bread." 2 In the literal sense none of this is true because ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...f the Righteous Man_ God Is.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:20- 110K
Find Similar Documents
God Formed Us For His Glory: Chapter 5, Contemplative Meditation and Healing Work
- Chapter Five Contemplative Meditation and Healing Work Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen: Thus saith the Lord that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, which will help thee; Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen. For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring: . . . One shall say, I am the Lord's; and another shall call himself by the name of Jacob; . . . Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. Isaiah 44: 1-3, 5,6 Many believe that although we are spiritual beings we are also material, since we were materially conceived and came forth out of a physical womb. But in these verses there is evidence that even that which came from the womb is spiritually conceived: "Thus saith the Lord that made thee, and formed thee from the womb." The difference comes when we realize that we are formed by the Lord and agree that we are of the Lord. In Isaiah, chapter 45, this principle is again repeated: I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, . . . I the Lord do all these things. Isaiah 45:5-7 The Miracle Word In the very midst of us, we are carrying around the I that formed us, the consciousness that is responsible for our being at the point of studying a message such as this. That I which we carry with us will, if we but recognize Its presence, go through the flames with us so they will not kindle upon us. If we go through the waters we will not drown, for that I will never leave us nor forsake us. How many I's are there? There is only one. That I is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Meditation and Healing Work.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:32- 123K
Find Similar Documents
Living The Infinite Way: Chapter Three, God Is
- CHAPTER THREE GOD IS Prayer is our contact with God, the infinite Source of our being, of which we can have no actual intellectual knowledge, and for which we have used such terms as Mind, Life, Truth, Love, Spirit, and the Infinite Invisible. God is the only creative Principle of the universe, the creative Principle of all that is; and since this creative Principle operates from the standpoint of supreme intelligence, without beginning and without end, it becomes necessary to know how to make contact or to become one with it. Unless we learn the way, we cannot avail ourselves of the omnipresence, omnipotence, and omniscience of God. Prayer, sometimes called communion, is the avenue through which we make our contact, find our oneness, or realize God. Prayer is the means of bringing into our individual experience the activity, the law, the substance, the supply, the harmony, and the all-ness or that which we call God. This is one of the most important points for all students of spiritual wisdom to know, to understand, to practice, and to live. In understanding the infinite nature of God, we understand the infinite nature of our own being. "I and my Father are one" assures the infinite nature of your being and my being. This fact is not dependent upon one's being a student of truth, but is dependent solely upon one's relationship to God, and that relationship is oneness- oneness. We shall hear much more about that word oneness as we progress. We must accept anything that is spiritually true of any individual, saint or sinner, as being true of you and of me, since the relationship of God to its creation is a universal one. When the Master taught that I and the Father are one, he was very careful to assure us that he spoke of your Father and my Father. He was revealing a universal spiritual truth. What, then, separated the demonstration of Christ Jesus from that of the Hebrew rabbis of his day? Or, what separated the demonstration of the Master from that of his students ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Way_ Chapter Three, God Is.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:56- 92K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Spiritual Development
- ... The sky is not sitting on the mountain, and the illusion is not "out there" where it seems to be, but is your false sense of what you are beholding. You cannot get rid of the illusion; you must understand it as illusion, and see through it to ever-prevent Reality. Understand that all that appears is God- appearing, despite the illusory sense of it you may be momentarily entertaining, and even the illusion will be dispelled. Error is never personal. You must therefore never condemn a person, but see the error as impersonal, a part of universal mesmerism and no part of any individual. In this impersonalizing of error, you dispel it. One of the great laws of the Bible is, "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." (Matt. 5:44). Your understanding of the prayer of forgiveness is that it is the realization of oneness. To know that that which is appearing, as persecutor, hater, enemy in any form, is really the Christ itself, which finite sense has misinterpreted, will free you of any evil effects of hate, persecution and enmity. Never forget that there is in reality no sick person to heal, neither a sinner to reform - only the Christ-presence to be spiritually discerned. This is the true law of forgiveness. Thus we pray for our enemies. There is a prevalent belief that the thought of certain individuals or groups can harm you. You cannot be made to suffer from any belief other than your own acceptance of a selfhood apart from God. Those who entertain a belief in two minds or in a life that can be impaired or ended, or in a selfhood apart from God, suffer from that belief in proportion as the belief is accepted. This, too, can be healed in a moment by relinquishing the belief in two powers, and the belief in more than one Presence. The purpose of your study is, first, the improvement of humanhood - the improvement of health, wealth, harmony, companionship, home and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ture_ Spiritual Development.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:18- 99K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 17, The Power of Truth
- CHAPTER 17 The Power of Truth WE ARE all brothers and sisters, we are One, and we are one Family. All that my Father hath is yours, the same as all that my Father hath is mine-because it is the same Father speaking to the same Son, which you are and which I am. The moment I see that this is your relationship, do you not realize there is a bond between us? I did not establish that bond nor did you. God established that bond. However, I recognize it and have brought myself into obedience to it and to oneness with it, and now this Law of the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of man is in operation in my life. By my perceiving this, not only my attitude to you changes, but your attitude to me changes. Remember, I am speaking of everyone in this world. So even when I go out into the world of strangers, into the hotels, into the airports, into the publishing market, into the business world or any other, just think what happens in my recognition that all these people are offspring of God-my brothers and my sisters. I have this feeling toward them, and can you not see what feeling must come back to me? It is better than an insurance policy, I promise you; much better. This is because the love that is poured out must come back. It has to; it's continuously like "bread cast upon the waters": it goes out, true, but the next tide brings it back. So it is that this love that is poured out-and you must see the nature of this love-is a love that is Truth, really. This Truth I am pouring out in the recognition of you as my brother or my sister, child of my Father. It compels me to treat you honorably. It compels me not to act towards you in any manner that I wouldn't act towards a member of my household. It compels me because you are of my household. The fact that we live under different roofs has nothing to do with it. Lots of my family live under different roofs. It doesn't change our relationship. Now, this very love that I am pouring out, this very Truth of being, you can ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 17, The Power of Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:24- 96K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Living: Chapter 1, The Ministry Within
- ... You must either come to that conclusion or you must come to the realization that there is another way and that you must discover it. For many years I could not find the answer to that problem. I could not find out how to bring God into individual experience, how to bring the comfort, the healing, the raising from the dead, the forgiveness of sin, and the life everlasting that the Master promised. To me these were merely words in a book. Then came the experience that brought with it the ... If you are to receive forgiveness for your sins, do not look for it anywhere externally, but in you. If you are seeking healing, even while accepting the help of the consciousness of one further advanced than you are, remember to turn within. Healing is an activity of the ministry of the Christ. "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." 5 This I, this Christ- kingdom, is within you. "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." 6 That Christ-ministry is within you; the Christ-forgiving-ministry is within you; the Christ-raising-of-the-dead-ministry is within you; the Christ-feeding- ministry is within you. The entire Infinite Way teaching is based on the principle that you must turn to the Christ-ministry for healing, for salvation, for forgiveness, for food, housing, transportation, for the healing of sin, disease, and death. And where do you turn to find the Christ-ministry? Where but within yourself? Man Shall Not Live on ... You need take no thought for your life, for what you shall eat or drink or wherewithal you shall be clothed. Turn to this Christ-ministry which is within you, and when you hear the words, "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee," 7 or when you have the feeling of "My peace I give unto you," 8 your healing and the forgiveness of your sins will have been accomplished. In one way or another the still, small voice utters, "Neither do I condemn thee 9 . . . . Thy sins are forgiven." 10 The Healing ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 1, The Ministry Within.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:35- 118K
Find Similar Documents