The Art of Spiritual Healing: Chapter XII, God Is Our Destiny
- CHAPTER XII GOD IS OUR DESTINY Spirit is forever in operation drawing unto us our own, whatever that own is, whether in human relationships or in business. There is an invisible activity which draws us to our rightful employment, our rightful marriage, our rightful city, or our rightful nation. Day by day the Father gives us the work of each day, and with that work always comes the recompense and reward. Most of us would perhaps agree that the majority of the problems besetting us have to do with regrets for the past or fears of the future. Usually at the present moment we are all right. If we could live in this minute, content to know that the power of God is in operation and be willing to let that continue, there would be no concern about the past and very little about the future. In one way or another, we would know day by day what to do, and sometimes we might even know a few weeks in advance. It has been my experience that God seldom reveals what His purpose is for me very far in advance. When you reach the stage in your experience where your life is a devotion to whatever of a constructive nature you are doing at the moment and you recognize that your livelihood is coincidental to that work; when you can find something in your work that is in the nature of a service to be performed, never again will your business be a burden and never will it be a failure. Living from day to day with the one objective of making money or making a living may result in success, but on the other hand it may just as possibly result in failure. The ultimate outcome is not foreordained. But when you have found something into which you can put your heart and soul, into which you can pour out some measure of service, even if in the beginning it is the most menial of labors, if you can find that the doing of your work is of some service to somebody, it will lead you on to higher forms of activity. If your consciousness is filled with service and co-operation, then your activity, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter XII, God Is Our Destiny.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:34- 103K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 2, God
- ~ 2 ~ GOD "Spiritual sense is a conscious, constant capacity to understand God." 1 Many have tried to "explain" God, but so far none (to my knowledge) have ever succeeded. God must be individually experienced. Because of generations of belief in material being we seem to be far removed from God, and only as we live in "prayer without ceasing," that is, dwelling on the thought of God, will it be possible for the experience, or revelation, of God to come to us. Most people either believe in, or believe that there is a God, but this is far from knowing, far from the assurance and the consciousness of the presence of God. Spiritual sense alone reveals it, and spiritual sense is developed through the conscious dwelling in thought of God, and what it is, and where we find it. We should also dwell on the subject: What is man? We are familiar with the statement from the Greek Temple, "Know thyself." Well, close your eyes, get quiet inside, and ask yourself: "What am I?" If arms, legs, head, and brain are not me but mine, who is this possessor of the body and mind? If I think, who and what is the thinker? These thoughts lead to the understanding of God. Do we think often enough of what the word "God" means to us? Not what it means to our friends or neighbors, but what it means to us! Man is the manifestation of God, and how can we know man until we know that of which he is constituted. The manifestation of God is not a mortal, a material being. God can be manifest only in its nature, character, and quality. Therefore, the attempt to heal or enrich a human cannot be the way to manifest God. As we dwell in thought on what the nature of divine being is, we behold man, the manifestation of divine being, and there we find the infinity, eternality, and harmony of our own being. "Therefore the world (mankind) knoweth us not, because it knew him (divine being) not." 2 God manifests itself as love, life, being; and man is that love, life, and being made manifest. "Ye shall know the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Early Years_ Chapter 2, God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:40- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 6, Nature of Error
- ~ 6 ~ NATURE OF ERROR Since it is true, as Christian Science reveals, that all error is animal magnetism, mesmerism or hypnotism, it must be clear that the effects of error are not physical conditions, but are mental pictures, or illusion. No hypnotist ever produced an actual physical condition by mesmerism. At worst, he has produced a mental image in thought, a distorted picture. The universal mesmerism, likewise, produces only a mental image in thought, a distortion, a dream- appearing in mental image forms called sin, disease, death. Sin, disease and death are not, then, physical conditions to be healed or corrected, but are mere images in thought and, when recognized thus as the product of mesmerism, disappear from thought, and to our sense this disappearance is called healing. Actually, no sin or disease has been healed or reproved since none was ever there. The recognition that the so-called condition was but the mental illusion or thought form caused by mesmerism or universal ignorance is the dispeller of the dream, or actual healer. Inasmuch as the human form, as we behold it, is not the permanent, perfect form of spirit, it too must be understood as the product of animal magnetism so that even when enjoying what is known as physical health, we understand that it is not spiritual reality. When thus understood we are able to rise above both the sense of health and the sense of disease to the apprehension of the divine idea of spiritual harmony, a harmony which never fluctuates and is never dependent on so-called material laws or conditions. From this point on it is more clearly seen that the phenomenal universe, as we behold it through the five physical senses, is not the reality of things, but is the finite or human concept. We are not engaged in the work of doctoring this concept of body, or improving this limited concept of the world. Our task is in rising above the concept to the realization of reality. We are not merely changing a belief of illness into ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 6, Nature of Error.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:41- 108K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter IV, Who Told You?
- CHAPTER IV WHO TOLD YOU? The world can never rise above the idea of using one power over another and into the realm of no power until the mystery of Genesis is solved. In this first book of the Bible, are found two completely contradictory and conflicting records of creation: The first chapter is obviously the work of a mystic who had achieved complete union with God and who saw that this entire universe is Consciousness appearing as form; whereas subsequent chapters contain an account of the creation of mind. The first record of creation is a revelation of the activity of Consciousness in all its purity and eternality. It recounts the unfolding of a spiritual universe where there is light before there is a sun or a moon, where the crops are in the ground before the seeds are planted, and where there is man before there is woman. That which is formed of Consciousness is never born: It is merely an emanation of Consciousness, which not only has no beginning but has no ending because as long as there is Consciousness, there is Consciousness formed. When Consciousness appears as form, it can appear as a seed or as a completely developed tree without ever having gone through any process of growth. Consciousness, or Soul, which we call God, reveals and expresses Itself as a spiritual universe in which there is no conception and no birth. In other words, creation is the immaculate conception of God revealing Itself as individual identity, an identity expressing as human, animal, vegetable, and mineral forms; so that in reality, God, Consciousness, is the very essence and substance of the earth -even of what appears as stones, rocks, sand, and soil-just as that same Consciousness is the substance of our true identity. In Genesis, we learn that God created Adam and Eve and placed them in the Garden of Eden in the midst of perfection and harmony, surrounded only by goodness, love, and beauty. Joy and harmony reigned there until into that Eden came something that destroyed it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter IV, Who Told You_.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:37- 103K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 12, Christ As the Consciousness of Mankind
- ~ 12 ~ CHRIST AS THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF MANKIND What is it that sets spiritual teachers and persons who do healing work apart from the rest of mankind? Is it not that in some way, at some time, and for some reason they were drawn to the study of truth? Then as they began to fill their minds with truth through books, lectures, and classes, eventually something happened within them. They made a transition from "man, whose breath is in his nostrils" 1 to that man who has his being in Christ. At a particular moment in their experience, these persons attained some measure of the transcendental Christ-consciousness, that which is beyond the human. From then on, error, evil, sin, disease, false appetite, or lack lost its reality to them. As persons came to them with physical, moral, or financial problems, or problems of human relationships, the error or evil disappeared just as darkness leaves a room when the light is turned on. The darkness in the room does not go anywhere because what we call darkness is but an absence of light. In the presence of light, there is no darkness. As mere human beings, we cannot function as practitioners or spiritual teachers. We may have the will, the desire, and the hope; but will, desire, and hope do not heal, reform, or enrich. To lift a person above his humanhood, one must have the experience of spiritual illumination or of the transcendental Presence. When that comes to a person, he is set apart, and in the measure of his fidelity will he be successful as a spiritual healer or teacher. Many students have the desire to heal, to teach, and to give to others, but they cannot. To these I say, "Be patient: you will. Wait, however, until the Spirit of the Lord God is upon you and you are ordained to do these things." Students must be content to remain students and not try to be practitioners and teachers until the experience that results in their being set apart takes place within their consciousness. At one time, when the Spirit of the Lord ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he Consciousness of Mankind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:25- 113K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: April 28, 1963, The Unfolding Message: Spiritual Power
- THE UNFOLDING MESSAGE: SPIRITUAL POWER April 28, 1963 Halekulani Hotel I AM SURE that when we first come to a study of this nature most of us are thinking in terms of the benefit that we hope or expect to receive from it. In one way or another I think you will find it to be true that the object in seeking any kind of a teaching was self-benefit or self-improvement in some form. It would be an unusual occurrence for anyone to go out and look for a teaching that would benefit the world, because until consciousness has been spiritualized, our interests are concerned primarily with ourselves and our families. You would be surprised how many parents, hearing of this work, unite and ask for help for a member of their family who has a handicap of some mental, physical, or moral nature-but when we write back and say, "It will take your cooperation and study," nothing further is heard from them. In other words, their interest does not go even that far beyond themselves. This surely does not happen one hundred per cent, but there are many who write for help and never again answer when they learn that cooperation on their part is necessary. What I am trying to say is that to a lesser or greater degree we are seeking our own benefit. As we come to this present stage in your spiritual unfoldment, we must know by now that we of this generation are going to benefit less from this teaching than those of future generations. By comparison we will benefit by only a few grains. Why? Because the coming generations will be born into a higher consciousness, a higher spiritual level of consciousness than that into which we were born. They will not even be brought up as we were, with the idea of self- benefit. This is becoming apparent in many parts of the world where we have contacts, showing primarily the benefit that is coming to the world through the unfoldment of our consciousness and the amount of world work we are doing. This world work is not giving any of us the amount of benefit ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ng Message_ Spiritual Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:07- 102K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 24, 1963, Self-Surrender
- SELF-SURRENDER February 24, 1963 Halekulani Hotel SOMETIMES WE WONDER how it is that the message of the Master was lost. When we stop to think of the fact that he spoke to people who could not read or write for the most part, then we do not wonder any more. The miracle is that anyone remembered what is in the four Gospels, because they were written thirty years after the crucifixion. In other words, someone had to remember for thirty years in order to give us even the little that we have. I believe this is the reason we have so little of the Master's teachings. We today are in a different position. When anyone speaks today, their words can be preserved in writing, in recordings, and in so many different forms, that a message that proves good today should never become lost. For the past two weeks we have been on a subject, a principle of life really, that should change the nature of our lives- not because we have heard the message but because, in addition to hearing it, we have it on paper and this paper will serve as a reminder. The principle with which we were concerned last week is probably the most important principle in all mystical literature on mystical living. To hear it once is good but, unless it actually registers within us, it does not do too much for us. Therefore, the responsibility rests upon us to practice it, to work with it, and to meditate upon the principle until we are able to demonstrate it. Now let us go back to last week for just a moment. Remember that the principle revealed was the fact that spiritually we live in God, we are supported by God, we are sustained by God. I have an illustration. Some of you remember the hymn, "When All Material Streams Are Dry, Thy Fullness Is the Same." Many of us have experienced this. Through a deadly disease, or a period of lack or some circumstance of human relationships, we come to a place in our lives where there is no material help. Our back is against the wall. There is no human means of help available, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ry 24, 1963, Self-Surrender.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:12- 91K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: June 2, 1963, True Prayer-The Experience of God
- ... To come to this place in consciousness means that a great part of your spiritual journey is behind you, because you cannot attain this lightly, easily or quickly. You have been led up to this, as you will discover when others come to you for spiritual wisdom. You will learn that it is not an easy matter to say to them: "We are not going to God to have your fever reduced, and we are not going to God to get increased supply," for the answer you will receive is: "What then is the use of going to God?" When you have arrived at the place where you can accept such a statement, you have arrived at the place where you have given up human aspirations for spiritual revelations. We do not become ascetics. In giving up the world it is not in the mistaken sense of asceticism in which, by depriving ourselves of everything pleasant, we believe we are pleasing God. On the contrary, be assured that God is only pleased in our joys-in our fruitage. We know this from Christ Jesus, who was sent to earth to "do the will of the Father," and the will of the Father is that we have health and happiness and forgiveness of sins and life eternal. There is no asceticism in the Master's teachings. He took only their sins-never did he take from anyone any form of good. Once you stop seeking in your prayers "what ye shall eat, what ye shall drink and wherewithal ye shall be clothed," you will find they are being added unto you. "Thy grace is my sufficiency in all things," 18 only I must not seek sufficiency, I must seek grace. For thousands of years men have prayed for an end of war, for an end of injustice, for an end of slavery, and disease. All of these human conditions are still going on, and those that are not going on have not been overcome by prayer but by men. Many diseases have been overcome and lost from the world because of medical and surgical discoveries, but you recognize the fact that Christ Jesus revealed that this could be accomplished without human aid. So we are not to be ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ayer--The Experience of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:15- 118K
Find Similar Documents
God Formed Us For His Glory: Chapter 3, The Nature of the Messiah
- Chapter Three The Nature of the Messiah The unfoldment of the activity of the Infinite Way is a testimony to the validity of the principles it sets forth. To begin with, here was a man in California who wrote a book presumed to be just a little pocket companion for himself and a few friends. He decided that a thousand copies would be more than enough for all persons, but the publisher pointed out that two thousand copies would cost very little more than one thousand, so two thousand were run off. I thought, of course, that we would have to have a great deal of storage space to take care of the second thousand. Never did the idea occur to me that this message would travel around the world or that it would be of interest to anybody except the small group of patients and students who were around me. Furthermore, at that time there was no money for any kind of promotional activity; there were no "angels" to provide financial help; there was no organization, which there still is not; and there was no thought of my going any further than Los Angeles, California, with the message. No one was more surprised than I when someone invited me to give lectures in San Francisco, four hundred miles away. I thought, "What! Way up there they want to hear about this! That is strange, but it is beautiful because I would enjoy spending a week in San Francisco." I thought that that, too, would surely be the end of this activity. And what has happened to the Infinite Way since those early days? It was first carried across the United States and Canada. Then a letter came from an important publisher in London, asking if he could publish a British edition of The Infinite Way. Could he? Why, that is a dream! Many American writers had been unable to have their books published in England after the war because of the scarcity of paper. Yet here was a firm asking, "May we?" That was not the end of it. Another firm in England asked to publish my books, followed by a request from Holland, and then ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., The Nature of the Messiah.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:31- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 2, The Nature Of Spiritual Attainment
- ~ 2 ~ THE NATURE OF SPIRITUAL ATTAINMENT IN MAN'S EARLY EXPERIENCE ON THIS EARTH, all his activities were on the physical level of life: farming, road building, fighting, fishing, and hunting; and he was living purely on the physical and emotional level. Gradually, however, the world groped toward an understanding of the mind and eventually discovered its potentialities, and along with the discovery and development of the mental realm, access to the cosmic realm was also found. That is why during the less than one hundred years just past such great strides have been made in invention, science, discovery, and knowledge. These discoveries in science and the new forms of art, literature, and music have come forth from the cosmic storehouse, and, as access is gained to that storehouse, the universal mind gives up its wisdom and reveals what men are seeking, whether a way to the North or South Pole, a way to fly in the air or to travel under water, or whether they are seeking new machinery for further automation. The entire nature of human living has been changed because we are no longer confined to what our ancestors knew. Now we have access to Infinity, and there is no limit to what can be achieved through our understanding of the truth that we can reach the universal storehouse of the laws of life: physical or material laws, mental laws, laws of nature, all those laws governing automobiles and airplanes, and laws governing new ways of raising crops. So we come to the age in which we will be able to live without limitation. When man recognizes that he has access to the entire cosmic realm, he will bring to light a whole new world, glimpses of which we have already seen in what has been accomplished in the last fifty years and which is only the beginning of a still greater era. THE FRUITAGE OF THE MIND, AN UNCERTAIN QUANTITY But while the world was progressing from the physical realm of life to the mental, the religious life of man remained in status quo. True, during ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ure Of Spiritual Attainment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:43- 110K
Find Similar Documents