Living by Grace: Chapter 9, Freedom in God
- CHAPTER 9 FREEDOM IN GOD Some nations seek political freedom-freedom from dictators and concentration camps. Other nations seek freedom from religious bondage-from teachings that hold them in bondage and make them slaves of men rather than servants of God. Any nation that has gained political, economic, or religious freedom has had to fight hard to attain that freedom and must work even harder to retain it, because there are those who would take that freedom away. There is not one moment of the day when someone, somewhere, is not plotting to control the minds and bodies of individuals, to control nations and the world itself. Not all the enemies are in foreign countries; some can be found within a country itself. The freedom we seek is a spiritual freedom-a freedom in Christ, in God. It is not a freedom from anyone or some circumstance or some condition of lack, limitation, sin, or disease-although we may have started out seeking only that kind of freedom. Spiritual Freedom Spiritual freedom is a freedom attained in God. There is no such thing as freedom from anything or anyone. The longer we attempt to gain freedom from sin, disease, death, lack, or limitation, the more we are kept in bondage to such conditions. What we must seek is freedom in God, in Christ-a spiritual freedom. Originally, we were given spiritual freedom as a divine inheritance, but there was an experience in consciousness called "the fall of man" or the "prodigal experience" in which we set up a selfhood apart from God. We thereby lost our divine inheritance, and spiritual freedom is no longer something that is given to us. Now we must struggle to regain our spiritual freedom. We cannot regain it until we return to the state of consciousness we call oneness, unity, or union with God. Like the prodigal son, we must return to the Father's house. Our spiritual freedom is not gained through the efforts of others. The efforts of others can only instruct us and give us a little wisdom. Throughout the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 9, Freedom in God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:47- 90K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 17, God Omnipresent and the Only Power
- ~ 17 ~ GOD, OMNIPRESENT AND THE ONLY POWER ORIGINALLY WE CAME TO THE STUDY OF TRUTH for our own good. Most of us have come to this work because of some sin or disease or lack in our experiences. Probably some of you came seeking only God. But I think the experience of most practitioners is that they find that most come to this truth seeking for release from the cares and the ills of the world. I came that way. Most of the people I know have come that way. For awhile it is a very satisfying experience to learn that physical ills can be met through prayer or treatment, through spiritual power. It is a very thrilling thing to experience a healing, especially if materia medica has said that the disease is serious or fatal. Some of these healing experiences will never be forgotten by those who have had them. After the First World War, I was given the very pleasant news that I had less than three months to live, and there was nothing that materia medica could do to save me. There was no known healing agency, no known cure for my trouble. As a matter of fact, in all the years that have passed since then, they still have no cure for that particular disease. In three months, though, I was completely healed, so completely healed that there has never been a sign or trace of the trouble in all the years since 1921! I have had many other healings of that nature through spirit, and I have also witnessed thousands of healings. Many minor claims, true, but some very major ones also, according to materia medica. I don't have to rehearse all that for most of you, because probably everyone here has had some similar experience, either with disease or with sin. I have told this before, I don't know whether in these talks or not, but certainly in classes, that in 1928, just as I was sitting with a practitioner, all of the smoking habit, drinking habit, and card playing habit disappeared. These were not great vices, but errors according to our spiritual way of living. All of these ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ipresent and the Only Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:09- 143K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 2, Unfolding Consciousness
- ~ 2 ~ UNFOLDING CONSCIOUSNESS THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF OUR CLASS YESTERDAY, a continuity of unfolding consciousness. We are taking up where we left off, and, as a matter of fact, carrying right on as we will for the rest of the week. When John was in prison he sent word to Jesus: "Art thou he that should come? 1 Is this the promised Messiah?" And Jesus did not tell him that he had been authorized or ordained, or had received a license to be a rabbi. He said, "Go and show John the things you have seen, that the sick are healed." 2 Our only authority for the work we are doing is its result, and that result must be healing, the healing of the problems of human existence! The work of healing through the spirit is never the healing of a body; never the healing of a physical condition. That is the result, but it is not the work. The work is the spiritualizing of consciousness. The work is spiritualizing consciousness, spiritualizing thought, opening consciousness to the receptivity of God. That is the work in healing. In the presence of God there are no problems, and so when you are standing, actually standing, in the conscious awareness of the presence of God, you have no sins or diseases to overcome. Of all of Jesus' statements, the greatest is, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God . . . and all these other things shall be added unto you." 3 Now the kingdom of God, the realm of God, is consciousness. The spiritual atmosphere of God is the kingdom and when you are in the spiritual atmosphere of God, all the harmonies of this world, of heaven and of earth, are added unto you. The subject of healing work is a very interesting one and there are many approaches to this practice, but I can only speak of that which has revealed itself to me. Healing work is accomplished entirely through silence! The treatments, so called, of oral explanation or the written word, are merely little ladders which we use to climb up to the point of silence. Sometimes they are necessary, most often ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 2, Unfolding Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:06- 117K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 11, Spiritual Vision Alone Reveals the I Am of Individual Being
- Chapter Eleven Spiritual Vision Alone Reveals the I Am of Individual Being God is the central theme of the message of the Infinite Way, but God is probably the most misunderstood word in all languages. Often in my travels, strangers ask, "What do you do? What is your business?" And I have to tell them I have no business, that I just write. "Oh, novels? Fiction?" Always I am in the same predicament. It is a strange thing to say, but eventually I have to tell those who ask that I write about God. Then comes the question, "What is the title of your book?" This leads me to explain that there are about twenty published books and twenty-five more coming. "All on God?" "Yes, I never change the subject." That in itself is strange, but what makes it even more strange is that very few persons know what I mean when I say God. I seem to mean something different from what most of them imagine. I am sure, from my experience, that most persons not only believe in God, but to some extent they actually believe they know what God is. That, too, seems rather strange because as a rule after a year or two of study students of the Infinite Way tell me they have never known what God is and just now they are beginning to realize how difficult it is to understand the true meaning of God. It really is difficult because regardless of what you may think about God you are bound to be wrong. You cannot be right, and you never will be right. There never will be a time when you will be correct in what you think about God. As long as you are thinking about God, you are entertaining concepts about God. Those concepts are based on your previous experience, childhood religion, or on what someone has thought, said, or written. Until a person has been a serious student of that subject for many years, God rarely becomes an actual experience. Meeting God face to face is the final word on the subject of what God is. Opening the Soul-Center The main function of a teacher in the activity of the Infinite Way ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he I Am of Individual Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:13- 129K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 10, Spiritual Existence
- ... I think that is why I use the term spiritual integrity so much. We can do many things humanly that may not seem right to the world; but when we are on the spiritual path, it is then necessary to live up to our highest unfoldment, our highest developed sense of spiritual good. Then we do not have to fear what mortal man can do to us; we do not have to fear the past, the present, or the future. Here, too, our history as human beings may not always conform to our spiritual heritage. Therefore, let us learn not to judge according to appearances. Let us not be too concerned about each other's human history. We come out of varying backgrounds of sin or purity, disease or health, and ignorance or wisdom. But though the sin be as scarlet, it will be white as snow once we touch the spiritual level of consciousness. One of the great sins of organization is that often after it accepts an individual in Christ, it then proceeds to ferret out his past and sit in judgment upon him. Instead of working through a sense of forgiveness and understanding, it still applies the same code of human conduct or human punishment or human action as before. Even on this spiritual path, we make human mistakes. It has been done over and over again in the Protestant ministry, in the Catholic ministry, in the Hebrew ministry. And we all know that in the metaphysical ministry people well along the path have been subject to temptation and have fallen. So let us not adopt the attitude of the world-criticism, judgment, or condemnation. Rather let us see if we cannot work together, and with our enlightenment lift each other up so as to make it impossible for any one to fall by the wayside again. In other words, even though there is a sense of humanness among us, let us not judge humanly. Let us not act as the human world acts. Let us not work from the standpoint of expulsion or ostracism. Let us rather take the attitude that we are all one; and, therefore, our purpose is upliftment, not punishment, or ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 10, Spiritual Existence.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:28- 122K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: April 28, 1963, The Unfolding Message: Spiritual Power
- THE UNFOLDING MESSAGE: SPIRITUAL POWER April 28, 1963 Halekulani Hotel I AM SURE that when we first come to a study of this nature most of us are thinking in terms of the benefit that we hope or expect to receive from it. In one way or another I think you will find it to be true that the object in seeking any kind of a teaching was self-benefit or self-improvement in some form. It would be an unusual occurrence for anyone to go out and look for a teaching that would benefit the world, because until consciousness has been spiritualized, our interests are concerned primarily with ourselves and our families. You would be surprised how many parents, hearing of this work, unite and ask for help for a member of their family who has a handicap of some mental, physical, or moral nature-but when we write back and say, "It will take your cooperation and study," nothing further is heard from them. In other words, their interest does not go even that far beyond themselves. This surely does not happen one hundred per cent, but there are many who write for help and never again answer when they learn that cooperation on their part is necessary. What I am trying to say is that to a lesser or greater degree we are seeking our own benefit. As we come to this present stage in your spiritual unfoldment, we must know by now that we of this generation are going to benefit less from this teaching than those of future generations. By comparison we will benefit by only a few grains. Why? Because the coming generations will be born into a higher consciousness, a higher spiritual level of consciousness than that into which we were born. They will not even be brought up as we were, with the idea of self- benefit. This is becoming apparent in many parts of the world where we have contacts, showing primarily the benefit that is coming to the world through the unfoldment of our consciousness and the amount of world work we are doing. This world work is not giving any of us the amount of benefit ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ng Message_ Spiritual Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:07- 102K
Find Similar Documents
Our Spiritual Resources: Chapter Eight, Bringing God Into Daily Experience
- CHAPTER EIGHT BRINGING GOD INTO DAILY EXPERIENCE Bringing God into individual experience is possible only through an activity of consciousness. If we make a conscious contact with our source, we make contact with the spiritual source of all those who can bless us and all those whom we can bless: "I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one." 1 That relationship of oneness is not really effective, however, until the moment of contact, because until that moment we are separate human beings, each with his own interests and purposes, each with his own needs, and in that separateness we may not be fulfilling one another's needs at all. There is no circumstance in life so small or insignificant but that it can be made an important one through that conscious contact. If it were nothing more than the routine of merely going out to market, it would not only save time, but what is more important, making that conscious contact even in inconsequential matters would establish in us the habit of making and continuing the contact so that when some more vital decision or problem arose, there would be no possibility of forgetting the principle, because our reaction to it would have become more or less automatic. It may not be too important to us whether our marketing costs eight dollars or eight dollars and sixty cents, and it may not be too important whether we buy this cut of meat or that one, or whether we purchase these vegetables or those. The important thing is that we are forming one more link in our chain, because we shall be learning never to make a move without a consciousness of that oneness. There must be the actual experience of being consciously one with God in order to find ourselves consciously one with all spiritual being and idea. Declaring it with the mind is not going to make it so, but if we keep that principle in our mind, sit with it, reflect upon it, and ponder it until we feel that inner response within, then we actually begin to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...g God Into Daily Experience.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:59- 104K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 6, The Divine Consciousness
- ~ 6 ~ THE DIVINE CONSCIOUSNESS "Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." 1 "I am with you alway." That I is God. I, God, the divine Consciousness of my individual being, is ever with me. It could not be any other place and still be the consciousness of my own being; nor could I be separate or apart from consciousness, since without consciousness there would be no being; there would be no "I" or "me." I, divine Consciousness, will be with me, as long as I exist as an individual. As long as there is continuity to my own being, God, divine Consciousness, will be with me. In fact, I is all there is to me, manifesting Itself, Its glory, as my individual being. There is no It and "me." There is only It, manifesting Itself, expressing Itself as me. The Word, divine Consciousness, becomes flesh as individual me. This oneness is the secret of immortality, of eternal life; probably, it is the reason for the word "always": "Lo, I am with you always"; I will be with you "unto the end of the world"-the world which Jesus overcame. "I have overcome the world." 2 There is an end to the world: the world is not immortal; the world is not eternal; the world will not last forever. What is this world that comes to an end? It is really not a world at all. The things that are of God are eternal and immortal, this world that "I have overcome" is not a world, but a false sense of the world, a false image, a belief about the world. Jesus, not even as the Christ, ever overcame anything that actually existed. He could only overcome a false sense about reality, a false belief about it. Therefore, until all false beliefs are eradicated, until the world has been overcome within ourselves, this Christ will be present to overcome it. When the world has been overcome, then it will be discovered, not that there was a Christ present to overcome it, but that I am that Christ. Wherever we go, under all circumstances and conditions, remember that "I am with you always." I, your ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...6, The Divine Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:27- 122K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 12, Good Unfolding as the Activity of Individual Consciousness
- ~ 12 ~ GOOD UNFOLDING AS THE ACTIVITY OF INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS Let us begin to tie in the threads-these threads of consciousness-in order to form a strong cord of realization and understanding, and bring this down to practical application, in other words, have the Word become flesh. Our effort, our desire, our prayer, is to understand God. That means to understand infinity, eternality, and immortality. Since God is the subject of our work, of our understanding, and of our revelation, then infinity, immortality, and eternality must be the nature of its effect in our experience. It may not be that today or tomorrow or next week-or even next year-we shall demonstrate the fullness of God, the allness of God. But God is all; God is infinite, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient; and in the degree of our awareness of that, we will bring forth those quantities and qualities of allness. Just because we have not completed our demonstration of the ascension does not mean that we have not caught the vision of God. Having caught that vision of God, we can go forward with patience to that time when the allness of God is revealed in the experience of ascension above the whole world of belief. It was only during the final moments of Jesus' ministry that he could say, "I have overcome the world." 1 So it will only be in the moment of ascension, in the moment when the fullness of realization comes to us, that we, too, can say, "I have overcome the world." But that is no excuse on our part to delay the climb-the unfoldment or revelation. There is no excuse for us to wait until the day of retirement when we shall have more time, or until the day of death when we shall have still more time. Our day begins now. And if that day is followed each succeeding day with a continued unfoldment of consciousness, there will be no such thing as a day of death: There will be a continuous experience of unfolding good. All of you who have caught this vision of God as consciousness and of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...of Individual Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:35- 132K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 2, Living by Love
- It is we ourselves, however, who must know whether or not we are functioning through love. At this point egotism and conceit could come in and cheat us by developing within us a pharisaical self-righteousness. We have to be careful that we do not get the idea that we, of ourselves, are loving. We must realize that it is the love of God that enables us to be loving, God's love, not our love, and not even our love for God. Instead let us think of it as God's love for us: "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son"-to each one of us individually. At the very center of our being God has incarnated Himself in us as His son. God the Father has placed Himself as God the Son in the midst of us. That means every person who has ever existed since the beginning of time or who ever will exist. Every person has the seed of Godhood at his center. God so loved mankind that He placed Himself in the midst of mankind. He placed the individual expression of Himself at the center of us and He named that center I. He named Himself I, and every time the word I comes to our consciousness we should realize that the presence of God is there. We have to maintain ourselves consciously in the awareness that the son of God is in us and Its law is love. We are in attunement with It when we are doing unto others as we would have them do unto us, when we are forgiving "seventy times seven," when we are sharing, giving, bestowing. The law of God is forgiveness and doing unto others as we would have others do unto us. We are violating the law of love the moment we desire revenge, indulge in resentment, or ascribe wrong motives to anyone. Every person is in attunement with the law of love when he is living according to his highest light of doing unto others as he would have others do unto him. "Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me," for the only "me" there is, is man; the only God there is, is the incarnation of Himself in man. When we are ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 2, Living by Love.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:53- 75K
Find Similar Documents