Practicing the Presence: Chapter X, The Vision to Behold
- CHAPTER X THE VISION TO BEHOLD In the beginning in the Edenic days, man was complete, whole, and harmonious- one with God. By the grace of God everything flourished, and there was peace. What man is now striving to attain in his search for God is the re-establishment of that Edenic state of complete peace and harmony, a state in which we are not at war with one another, but in love with one another; a state in which we do not deprive others, but share and give to others. The hope of man has been that by finding some supernatural power he would be able to recapture that state of bliss on earth. It must be clear to every thinking person, however, that in his attempt to find harmony, man has been searching in the wrong way and in the wrong place. Individual harmony and world peace will never be established by searching for some supernatural power. Man's need is to re-establish himself in his original Edenic estate which is oneness with God. Hundreds of years of frustration and failure should have proved to the world that it is not the work of a God to do this for us: It is our work to do it for ourselves by establishing that original relationship of oneness. The Master said, "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." Nowhere does he indicate that this is God's responsibility. Time and time again he reiterates that it is our responsibility: "Ye shall know the truth . . . Ye shall love the Lord thy God . . . Ye shall love thy neighbor as thyself . . . Ye shall pray for the enemy . . . Ye shall forgive seventy times seven . . . Ye shall bring the tithes into the storehouse." In no place and at no time does he place the responsibility for our sense of separation from God upon God, but upon us. To us is addressed the entire teaching of Jesus Christ-not to God, to us. Lest, however, we should flounder, the Master has given us the way, the where, the when, and the how of this demonstration of unity: The way is prayer; the where is the kingdom of God within ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter X, The Vision to Behold.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:03- 117K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Love
- ... We close the door on Love in that way when we pray ONLY for Mother or Father or child or friend or relative. When we learn to pray for our enemy as we are taught to do in the Master's teachings, when we learn to pray the prayer of forgiveness for all those who offend us, we then find Love coming to us through unexpected avenues and channels. We, ourselves, limit the amount of Love that ordinarily would be flowing freely to us because we limit it, first of all, to man, and secondly, only to those men and women who comprise our friendly circle. When we go further afield, when we look not only to friends but even to foes for our Love, through the prayer of forgiveness, we widen that circle, and even more so as we realize God is the fount of ALL Love . . . God is the SOURCE of ALL Love. Therefore, it is to God and ONLY to God that we look for Love. This ... Once we lift our gaze above the human avenues and channels of supply and realize GOD as the source of Love and, therefore, as the source of supply, we begin to open the way for Love to come to us from many new sources. FORGIVENESS WE HAVE LOOKED to man for forgiveness for our offenses, our trespasses, our sins. Often, through acts of commission or omission, we have been unloving, unjust, unkind; and sometimes, if possible, we look to those whom we have offended for forgiveness. In many instances, they have gone so far out of our experience that we have no way of reaching them in order to seek their forgiveness. Actually, there is no need of our seeking forgiveness of any man. It is well that we apologize, if we have offended. It is well if we ask forgiveness. It is not important whether or not we receive it. The important point is that we look to GOD for forgiveness . . . NOT to man. As long as we look to God for forgiveness, we will be released through man. Therein lies the miracle . . . that even those who, to human sense, would withhold forgiveness, can no longer withhold it when we have sought it in God. LOVE IS ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ays of Joel Goldsmith_ Love.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:13- 114K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: May 1957, The Christ - The Presence in You
- CHAPTER FIVE: MAY The Christ, The Presence in You THERE is a Presence and a Power which is always available to us, but it can only be realized in secrecy and in silence. Secrecy is one of the most profound truths revealed in the Master's teaching: Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.1 Secrecy is an important principle of The Infinite Way and forms a vital part of its message. Those who have taken this teaching seriously and have followed it have benefited beyond words. There are others who have received the teaching, but who have not understood it. In their inability to perceive its significance, they have not obeyed it, and therefore, have not benefited from it. No teaching is of real value as long as it remains an abstraction; it must find expression in our daily life. Every principle of The Infinite Way should be related to our experience and then lived as our experience. Let us take, as an example, this principle of secrecy enunciated by the Master and see how it can be applied to our everyday relationships. If I perform some good and generous act and if my friends hear about it, they will, in all probability, praise me, thank me, and speak well of me. My ego may be considerably inflated by their acknowledgment and recognition of my good deed. On the other ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hrist - The Presence in You.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:08- 156K
Find Similar Documents
The Altitude Of Prayer: Chapter 3, Bringing Our Gift To The Altar
- It does not mean that we attempt to compel them to be on good terms with us; it means that we, in our hearts, bear no grievance toward anyone. To pray for someone else's forgiveness has no power, insofar as influencing God in our behalf, but praying for our enemies is a release to us. It is an acknowledgment that we have held somebody in bondage to a wrong and, therefore, it is really asking for our own forgiveness. ... As we are shown the things about ourselves that require correction, we enter into the spirit of forgiveness. We cannot attain the realization of God without making of ourselves a fitting temple to receive God. This does ... They know not what they do. I pray that Thy grace fill their hearts and Thy forgiveness touch their lives. ATTAINING THE ATTITUDE AND ALTITUDE OF PRAYER Prayer which takes an attitude of praying for the world and reaches that high altitude of forgiveness and of praying for the enemy is a way of life. An attitude of forgiveness and the altitude that comes from praying for the enemy must be reached in order that we may be unselfed, because only in being ... We do not condone his faults; we do not agree that he should go on in his evil ways. We understand that all evil is the product of ignorance, and therefore we pray for his forgiveness. When we live in that attitude toward ... PRAYING WITH AN UNCONDITIONED MIND We should never permit ourselves to be defiled by thinking defiling thoughts of others. Toward those whom we see in what we think of as sin, our attitude must always be one of forgiveness... RESPECT FOR THE INDIVIDUAL THROUGH THE REVELATION OF SPIRITUAL IDENTITY As we rise into the consciousness of this truth and know it, it frees us from the belief that we are human beings in need of forgiveness. It frees us ... It is not the love that comes to us from God; it is not the love that comes to us from other persons, high or low. The Master taught that love must be expressed in forgiveness, in praying for the enemy, and in all forms of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nging Our Gift To The Altar.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:25- 133K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XIV, When Ye Pray
- CHAPTER XIV WHEN YE PRAY For centuries the world has believed that merely voicing words in an attempt to reach God was sufficient to bring the power and the presence of God into daily experience. For hundreds of years, millions, even billions, of people all over the world have prayed for wars to cease, famine to be wiped off the earth, and disease to be healed-but all these have continued unabated. No one experiences answered prayer when he prays merely with his mind, relying wholly on words and thoughts, because there is then no opportunity for the Spirit to break through into expression. Regardless of what form prayer may take, there is no connecting link with God until there is a conscious awareness of His presence. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. MATTHEW 6:7 Many of us have been guilty of using vain repetitions, thinking that we are praying when in reality all we have been doing is repeating over and over again somebody else's man-made prayer. Even the repetition of as great a prayer as the Lord's Prayer, if recited with the idea that the mere rehearsal of its words has power, is not effective prayer because anything that is thought, spoken, or written is but an effect-and how can the power of God be in an effect? Does not all Scripture state that there is no power but the One, there is no God but one? Prayer that is made up of words and thoughts cannot and does not reach God, and therefore remains unanswered. The prayers that are answered are those deep within a person when no words and no thoughts are present, but when there is a hunger, a desire, or a need that is beyond words. In that intense longing, God is reached. The absence of fruitage in prayer merely bears witness to our failure to go deep enough into our consciousness to make contact with the Presence which is always there and which is ever available. God is not to be found on the surface of men's minds; ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter XIV, When Ye Pray.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:41- 104K
Find Similar Documents
Awakening Mystical Consciousness: Chapter 6, The Word & Words
- ~ 6 ~ THE WORD AND WORDS MANY persons believe what is written in Scripture and in metaphysical books is Truth, the Word. But it really is not that at all. It is merely a collection of statements about Truth. It is never Truth Itself. Truth is your consciousness of Truth; it is your awareness of Truth. That is the only Truth there is, and that is the Word. The Word is never an effect; it is cause. When the word of God comes to you, not from outside but from within yourself, then if you have a Red Sea to cross, It will open it. If you are in the desert, the desert will blossom; if you need rain, rain will fall; if you need sun, the sun will shine; if you need food, food will appear; if you need money, money will appear. These things will come about because the word of God is the substance of life, and out of this Word comes the flesh or form: your body, your business, your home, your profession, your ability, your customers, your clients, or your supply. Even though you read these words, they are not yet power insofar as you are concerned. Even if they sound reasonable to you and you can accept the message intellectually, it still is not power with you. It becomes power only when you have buried it in your consciousness and pondered it until from a depth within you the answer and an acceptance of it, which might be called a conviction or realization, comes. The statements in a book-the words, sentences, and paragraphs-represent the truth about the Truth, leading you back to the depths of your own withinness, where you make room for the Word to come forth. KNOWING THE TRUTH IN CONTEMPLATIVE MEDITATION If you were about to give a treatment or have a contemplative meditation, you would bring to conscious remembrance every thought and idea you could about God and spiritual creation-not about man, not about a patient, not about the disease, the sin, or the lack. There is no truth you can know about man except that of himself he is nothing. But you can know the truth about ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 6, The Word & Words.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:08- 128K
Find Similar Documents
Living The Infinite Way: Chapter Five, God as Law in Operation
- They do not realize that there is a law in operation much greater and more powerful than any law ever written into the statutes of any nation. I was thinking of this recently in connection with forgiveness. An occasion arose in which forgiveness was almost out of the question, and regardless of all the unfoldment and understanding that had been given through the writings of The Infinite Way, there seemed to be no way to bring forgiveness into this ... Probably every one of us has, in a measure, believed that some of our inharmonies and discords are due to other people, and right here is where we must bring the law of forgiveness into the picture. The first thing we ask ... Forgiveness is also a law of God. The Master made it very clear that we were to forgive even our enemies-those who hate us and persecute us, those who despitefully use us-and if necessary we were to forgive them seventy times seven! Here is a law of God, which every one of us has been violating. We have not forgiven our enemies, and certainly we have not forgiven seventy times seven. Forgiveness is one of the important ... some error in our experience, is due to someone else, either in the present, the past, or possibly in the future, and so we have violated the law of forgiveness. We cannot violate the law of God without suffering for it! ... As we study the Master's teaching in the Gospels, we find these laws of love and forgiveness and also the law of service. "For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, ... Therefore, the only way we can love God with our whole heart and soul, with our whole mind, body, and being, is by loving man. That love is made manifest not only in the service we give to man, the kindness and forgiveness, ... If we discover that we have not sufficiently kept the law of love or the law of forgiveness, we should not be too critical of ourselves, but acknowledge that that is where we have fallen down and, at this moment, recognize ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ve, God as Law in Operation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:55- 93K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 9, The Christ Kingdom
- Chapter Nine The Christ Kingdom The principles of the Infinite Way are used to explain its purpose and function, but it is you and I who must embody these principles in order that they may come alive. What are the principles that we are to embody in our consciousness? What is the goal? Here is where the Infinite Way departs from concepts held by the rest of the world. Certainly, it is true that I do not want to be bad, but neither do I want to be merely humanly good: I want to be spiritually pure. I do not want to be poor; I do not want to be rich: I want only God's spiritual grace. I do not want to be sick; I do not want to be well: I want God to be the health of my countenance; I want God's health, not mine. So when I am helping others, I must try to realize that I am not trying to make my patients well, employed, or pure: I am trying to bring the realization of God's qualities to them. This goal is quite different from the goal of most persons when you realize within yourself that you are not trying to be healthy: you are trying to realize the health of God. You are not trying to be wealthy: you are trying to prove God's grace as your sufficiency-God's grace, not your wealth. You do not want to be bad, but you must be very careful that you do not think you are good because you will be setting yourself up as someone separate and apart from God. You seek only that God's good be expressed in and through you. You do not want to be miserly, but you do not want to be prodigal, either: you only want to be the instrument through which God's abundance is distributed. In other words, no qualities are to be ascribed to you: not the bad or negative qualities and not the good or positive qualities. You strive to understand and always feel that it is God's love that flows through you, and then it is pure. You want God's life to flow as your life, and then it is immortal. You want God's grace to flow through you, and then it is abundant. Always it must be God's, never yours. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 9, The Christ Kingdom.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:15- 125K
Find Similar Documents
Beyond Words & Thoughts: Chapter 5, Rising to Mystical Consciousness in Prayer & Treatment
- ~ 5 ~ RISING TO MYSTICAL CONSCIOUSNESS IN PRAYER AND TREATMENT In the spiritual life, you must never forget that you are not living your own life and that you have no right whatsoever to consider what you would like to do, when you would like to do it, or how. Always in the back of your mind is the reminder that it is God's life that is being lived, and it is your privilege to be at that state of consciousness where you can watch God live your life without interposing a wish, a will, or a desire of your own. The average truth student is not at the stage of development where he can do this because he has duties to his family or his business, and until such time as the Spirit Itself says, "Leave all for Me," * or "Leave your nets," no student should ever forget his responsibility to his family, his associates, and to his work. Rather should his study and his meditations become the foundation for the more harmonious functioning of these facets of his life. It is only to the few that the call to leave their "nets" eventually comes, and when it does come, it is unmistakable, and it compels obedience. After that, the nature of one's life changes. This change does not permit the neglect or desertion of one's business or family obligations, but it does make it possible to provide for their independent care so that one may be set free for whatever demands the call may make. Let no Infinite Way student believe, however, that the call to leave his "nets" is an excuse to desert or neglect his human duties or obligations. Those who enter the spiritual ministry because of a human desire to do good, or before they have heard the spiritual call, make little or no progress. This is because they have not yet learned to rest on the Infinite Invisible. They do not have the spiritual vision that makes it possible for them to know the Unknowable. The message of the Infinite Way did not come through the human mind, nor can it be imparted by or to the human mind. To the human mind, this ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...sness in Prayer & Treatment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:11- 143K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 6, The Light Breaking Through
- ~ 6 ~ THE LIGHT BREAKING THROUGH Primal, original Consciousness is pure, infinite, harmonious, and all-good; and this is the consciousness of individual being. When we cut ourselves off or are cut off from that infinite divine Consciousness and come to have a mind and a life of our own, separate from God, we are no longer under the law of God. Life then becomes a matter of chance, a statistic: sometimes good and sometimes evil, but more often evil than good. The only hope for a restoration to harmony is to return to the Father's house and be united again consciously with God. Fortunately, this does not depend upon us. It is not our human efforts that bring us back to God. It is the grace of God breaking through. I hope that none of us will ever think that we brought ourselves to a spiritual teaching or that we are responsible for remaining on the spiritual path or for any spiritual progress in our life. This would destroy all our chances for real progress. If we think of the millions of people on earth who from almost any standpoint are as good or better than we are and who are not on the Path, but are surely entitled to be on the spiritual path as much as we are, it must be clear that we have not come this far because we deserve it or because we have chosen God. To believe that we of ourselves have chosen a spiritual pathway would be egotism in its final stage. No, God has chosen us. The finger of God has touched us, not because we have earned it, deserved it, or are better than the rest of mankind, but for reasons which go back long before our present experience on earth, reasons that have to do with evolving consciousness which always comes to fruition in its own time. "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you. . . . I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." 1 As we evolve from state to state of consciousness, at last we return to where we were in the beginning with all the glory we had with God before the human ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... The Light Breaking Through.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:23- 87K
Find Similar Documents