The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 14, Overcoming Mesmeric Sense
- ~ 14 ~ OVERCOMING MESMERIC SENSE Now I'm going to explain a mystery, and if it shocks some of you don't hesitate to pray about the subject within yourself. Don't go to anyone and ask them to explain it. Certainly don't complain to anybody because I said it; but take it into your own inner sanctuary and ask God for light on this subject. You know there are pilgrimages to Lourdes, and that out of every hundred- thousand people who go there only fifteen are certified as being healed. You know there isn't a day, an hour, that churches, synagogues, and temples aren't open where prayers are uttered for the sick. And you know what would be happening if materia medica weren't right on the job! Haven't you wondered why all of these prayers to God have not healed the sick? Haven't many of you prayed to God for your children or your parents or your wives or husbands, and wondered why you didn't get an answer? Then let it be clear to you now that God knows nothing of disease and therefore has no possible way of healing it. God would first have to know you were sick before God could heal you, and if God knew you were sick and did nothing about it until you prayed, what kind of a God would you have? In other words, humanity experiences a complete separation between God and man "whose breath is in his nostrils." If there weren't such a complete sense of separation between God and humanity, humanity wouldn't be sick, sinning, dying, aging, or decrepit. You can't believe for a moment that if God were on the field such things would be happening in the lives of millions. Do you, any one of you, actually believe that God knew there were seven million Jews being burnt up in ovens? Do you really believe that God knew that? Is there one of you who does not know how sincerely the Hebrew people prayed to their God, how earnest they were in their devotions? But they were burnt up! Do you know that seven hundred thousand Hebrews lived in the city of Amsterdam before the last war and only ten ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., Overcoming Mesmeric Sense.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:51- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Living the Illumined Life: Chapter 6, Building the Transcendental Consciousness
- Chapter Six Building the Transcendental Consciousness Illumination, the attainment of spiritual consciousness or that mind that was also in Christ Jesus, comes when there has been sufficient inner preparation. That preparation consists not only of regular meditation and of learning the letter of truth, but what is even more essential: the practice of it. The letter of truth itself does not do the work of producing harmony in our experience: it merely helps to bring about a change of consciousness. Living Out from the Principle of One Power Let me illustrate that. In our ordinary human state we are always fearing the power of evil in one way or another, fearing infection, contagion, age, lack, fearing tyrants, domination or those who dominate, or fearing the weather, storms, lightning, wild animals, beasts, and reptiles. In this divided state of consciousness where we have respect for the power of good and yet fear the power of evil, there is very little possibility of attaining illumination. But when we accept the spiritual principle that there is but one real Power and therefore we need not fear any negative or evil powers, we begin an actual practice of that way of living and whenever we are confronted with an erroneous appearance we consciously remember: There is but one power. I need not fear what man can do to me; I need not fear what mortal conditions can do to me; I need not fear what germs or animals can do to me; I need not fear what bullets or bombs can do to me because all power is spiritual power. There is but one power. We abide in that word of truth and let it abide in us, and gradually we begin to lose our fear of external forces and powers and come to a state of consciousness where even though we see or hear about them yet we know no fear of them. In the degree that we do not react to anything with fear or concern, we have attained some measure of illumination. That illumination is in proportion to our lack of fear of anything external. Since the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ranscendental Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:53- 124K
Find Similar Documents
The Contemplative Life: Chapter 5, Steps on the Path of Illumination
- ~ 5 ~ STEPS ON THE PATH OF ILLUMINATION The goal of our work is the attainment of some measure of spiritual consciousness: to return to the Father's house and thereby attain some degree of that spiritual light which will result in our again becoming children of God. The human race, as we know it, is not the offspring of God. It would dishonor God to believe that He could create what confronts us as human beings; it would be a travesty on God to believe that the conditions existing in this world today were created by Him. The Master's message was very clearly one of dying daily in order to be reborn of the Spirit. Paul, too, made it clear that as creatures we are not under the law of God, "neither indeed can be," but that we can become children of God, we can return to the Father's house and once again be under the law of God, the protection and care of God. The Master's entire mission was to reveal how the transition from the man of earth to that man who has his being in Christ can be made; his entire mission was to reveal the nature of spiritual revelation, spiritual realization, spiritual attainment. Most of the great religious teachings of the world have adopted as their theme the idea that the man of Adam is outside the Garden of Eden, that is, outside the kingdom of God, and that through spiritual living, practice, and prayer, he can be returned to the Kingdom and again come under the grace of God. This process is known as illumination. Those who are illumined are those who have risen above mortal or material consciousness, those who have received light and, in some cases, initiation. Gaining Freedom from Material and Mental Laws There have been brotherhoods, mystical orders, many of which operated on the principle that the initiate could be prepared by degrees for further light, taken from one stage into another and another until eventually illumination took place, resulting in a transcending of material consciousness into a measure of consciousness whereby ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...on the Path of Illumination.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:38- 135K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Spiritual Healing
- ... Let your freedom from the need of these be in your inner realization. Never boast or brag of your freedom from material means - that would be a sure sign you haven't the realization. Let your assurance of permanent Grace be an inner conviction which is outwardly felt by those with whom you come in contact. Never voice it except in the closed closet with a student who is on the brink of discovery. It is wiser to live your revelation than to speak it. Jesus walked on the water, but he did not advocate it as a general practice; he fed the multitudes, but he knew that we would have to grow to the stature of Christ before we could accomplish it, and therefore, he did not reproach those who worked for their daily bread. Live your demonstrated spiritual consciousness and let your living preach it. Do not take your patients or students a step further than they can see at the moment. If they try to walk on the water too soon, be alert - be present to raise them. Always stand by with love, forbearance and forgiveness. Life becomes an adventure when we realize the presence of the Christ. No longer is there concern or anxiety for some person "out there" or for some circumstance or condition. Life is now lived one moment at a time and that moment is now and that moment is God's moment. If your life is not an adventure now; if you are not living in a joyous expectancy, a confident assurance, then there is still a concern for some one or something "out there" instead of a relaxing in the consciousness that all Life is self-sustained. You are not necessary to anyone's demonstration of life or security. Your consciousness of this truth would help to set free any whom you may be holding in bondage to the belief of human dependency. When one avenue of supply closes, another opens to fill this moment with God's fullness - as long as one abides in the consciousness of the Presence. The world becomes your playground when you lose fear and concern in the recognition of the presence of the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...cripture_ Spiritual Healing.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:18- 98K
Find Similar Documents
The Mystical I: Chapter Three, "I Am Come"
- CHAPTER THREE "I AM COME" From the beginning of this message and from its very first book, The Infinite Way1, it was revealed that God is not to be known but to be experienced, and only when God is experienced are there signs following or is there fruitage. You can talk about God; you can discuss God; you can even decide to change the image of God; or you can make up more synonyms for God; but all this is in the realm of toys, an intellectual game. Actually, it is a form of idolatry because it is the making of graven images, only instead of being made of gold, wood, or stone, these images are built out of the substance of thought. So one concept of God is exchanged for another concept of God, and what you end up with is not God but merely your concept of God, your thought about God. You can see why prayer cannot be fruitful as long as it is addressed to a thought about God, an image of God, or a concept of God. What possible difference could it make if your concept is Jewish, Vedantic, Buddhist, or Christian, as long as all you have is a concept? How can a concept answer prayer? How can a thought in your mind answer prayer? AN IMAGE IN THOUGHT IS NOT GOD From the early days of modern metaphysics, "Truth" has been one of the synonyms for God, so when a person speaks of using truth it really is the same as saying, "Use God." But how can anyone use God? If he could, that would make him greater than God. This would also be true if the word "mind" were used as a synonym for God. Do we not use the mind? If we do, does that not make us greater than mind? Consider the idea held in many quarters that thought is power. If thought is power, then thought is greater than we are, yet we are the creators of thought. Terminology can get us into a great deal of trouble, and merely changing the terminology can get us into more trouble, for to say that that is not God, but this is, is just changing one concept or term for another. There is no use believing that one concept of God is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter Three, _I Am Come_.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:32- 103K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: February 1955, Grace
- CHAPTER TWO: FEBRUARY Grace THERE is an area of consciousness through which you are instantly one with God, and with all spiritual being and creation, and through which you find instantly available all forms of good. This has been described as a Sea of Spirit, and it is as well the universal or divine Soul. In achieving conscious contact with this Sea of Spirit (or the Father within) you find divine Love pouring Itself into expression, so that you no longer live by personal effort alone, but by Grace. Rather than to seek your good from persons or things, tap this universal Soul and become a beholder as It pours forth as ideas, manifest as the human forms of good so necessary to your present experience. It is only as you learn to look to this Infinite Invisible that you begin to understand the nature of Grace. Instead of seeking or desiring something already existing as form or effect, learn to turn within and let your good unfold from this divine Source, the Infinite Unseen. Let the practitioner and teacher seek activity from this inner source. Let the business and professional man look to the divine within. Let the sick and the sinner seek healing and perfection from within. Be ever alert, expectant of Consciousness unfolding as new and richer and lovelier forms of good, and you will experience the abundance of life-by Grace. To understand that your Soul is the eternal storehouse of all good is permitting the activity of the Christ to function in your experience through Grace. What is "the Father"? The Father is universal Consciousness; the Substance of all form; divine Mind acting as your mind and manifesting as limitless ideas; immortal Life appearing as the harmonies of individual life. Seek everything in life from the kingdom within. Draw your good from the infinity of your own being. Touch that center, the kingdom within, and let the Father reveal your heritage. This is to live by Grace. Grace is the gift of God. The Children of God live by Grace: we are heirs ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...icism_ February 1955, Grace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:59- 110K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: May 1955, The Comforter
- CHAPTER FIVE: MAY The Comforter "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (I Cor. 3:16.) THE time is approaching when the world will be so filled with the conscious realization of the Presence of God that all evil or error will be dispelled by the very presence of man. The great secret of life is this: God is incarnated in man. God is manifest as man. God is in the midst of you-". . . the place where thou standest is holy ground." There is just as much of God in you, right where you are, as there would be if the heavens could open and God Itself come into you. If this were not true Jesus could not have healed, neither could the disciples nor the apostles, nor the metaphysical and spiritual practitioners of this day. You are divine, because the Spirit of God is manifest as your very being. God has embodied Itself as your Soul, Mind and Spirit. God, in Its essence, is invisible, God, in Its expression, is visible as you and as me. In the days of old the Hebrews thought the Messiah was a man, but the One whom they thought was the Messiah said, "Before Abraham was, I am." Messiah is the Spirit of God in man, and the Hebrews who prophesied the coming of the Messiah were absolutely correct, except that they put it in time and space. The Messiah does not come in time and space: It comes in consciousness. The Christ, or Messiah, is born when you recognize the Presence of the Spirit of God in you. Never is this external: always it is within you, but the effect is external. Love goes before you and is felt by all whom you touch. "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you . . . I will send him unto you." The Comforter is your divine state of consciousness; that area of your consciousness which is the Christ, the Spirit of Truth the Savior, the Messiah. All of this is within you, and the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...sm_ May 1955, The Comforter.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:07- 133K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 12, God Consciousness
- ~ 12 ~ GOD CONSCIOUSNESS NOW, YOU HAVE FOLLOWED ALONG with me in these talks and have heard the foundation of the message, namely, that everything begins with the understanding of God, and without the knowledge of God, there is no spiritual message, there is no spiritual mission, there is no spiritual life. The worship of God as something or someone afar off has separated man from his spiritual life throughout the ages. This worship of a distant God that must be appealed to, must be petitioned, or must be told our needs; all of this has separated us from the actual presence and power of God. In these "latter days" we are beginning to understand that God is, as the poet said, one who hears: "Closer is he than breathing, nearer than hands and feet." 1 In other words, in confirmation of the teaching of Jesus, the kingdom of God is within you. We have learned that God is divine mind; that God is life eternal; that God is more than all this-God is the life and the mind of individual you and me. And this is where we have made our first gain over the ancients: We have not merely learned that God is principle, we have not merely learned that God is soul or consciousness, but we have learned that God is the consciousness and soul of me, the very spirit, the animating principle and law of my being. Unless one clearly perceives this truth that, "I and the Father are one," 2 he will not understand why it is or how it is that, "All that the Father has is mine." 3 The longer you perpetuate God as something separate and apart from yourself, the longer you will be seeking to get your allness from that God. In proportion, however, as you realize that God is closer to us than breathing, that Jesus knew what he was talking about when he said, "The kingdom of God is within you" 4 and "I and the Father are one," to that degree will you realize that all that the Father has is yours. Therefore you do not have to pray for it. Prayer becomes not an asking of God but a realization of the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 12, God Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:08- 115K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 12, The Realm of God
- CHAPTER 12 The Realm of God CAN YOU imagine what it means to break the limitations of personal selfhood in this realization when I say "I"? I am talking about a Kingdom of God, a Realm of God, that is within me, which is my inner spiritual selfhood, and out of this I flows infinite capacity, infinite substance, infinite abundance, infinite wisdom, infinite love. Now what happens in this and no other way that has ever been discovered or revealed to man, is that we break what the Orientals call karmic law, and also what in Christian teaching is called "as ye sow, so shall ye reap." Please remember that as human beings we are born into the law of "as ye sow, so shall ye reap." If you are good, goodness comes back to you, and in the degree that you are not good, something of an ungood nature comes back to you. In the Bible, back in the days of Moses and even before, it was erroneously taught that it is God that rewards you and God that punishes you. Of course, the Hebrews accepted this for generations and generations, and then finally the Christians took over that teaching and they too have made a point of it-that God rewards you and God punishes you. But there isn't a word of Truth in the entire teaching. All of the good that comes into your experience as a human is a direct result of your own good: "as ye sow, so shall ye reap." All of the evil that comes into your experience comes back as a direct result either of the evil you have sown or the ignorance of Truth that you have accepted. It has nothing to do with God, because "God is too pure to behold iniquity." I can also assure you of this: in the entire Kingdom of God, there is neither reward nor punishment. In the entire Kingdom of God there is no evil. In the entire Kingdom of God, there is no giving and there is no withholding-for you must understand that if there were giving, there would first have to be withholding. In other words, if there were any such thing as the sun giving light, it would indicate that at ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 12, The Realm of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:23- 98K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Living: Chapter 5, The New Dispensation of Prayer
- ... The outer self and the inner Self are one, but the inner Self is greater than the outer self. When our conscious thinking is stilled, then our inner Self, the divine consciousness, the spirit of God, can speak, live, think, and act through us. We live; yet there is a Spirit within us that also lives. There is an indwelling Spirit that performs those things that are given us to do. It perfects that which concerns us, but It cannot come into our experience while we are thinking and talking or trying to persuade, influence, or bribe God. Opening Ourselves to God's Guidance and Government God will not respond when we tithe if our tithing has an ulterior motive. We cannot sacrifice, we cannot bribe, we cannot influence God in anyway. We can only be still! It makes no difference if we are in sin. Never for a moment does that stop the activity of God. On the contrary, that is more apt to bring it into expression. God has more pleasure in the lost sheep that is found than in the ninety-nine that were not lost. Part of the Master's mission was the forgiveness and healing of sin. Is it not usually some sin, disease, or lack that compels us to admit," My way has not been sufficient. This human way of life has not done me much good." It is very much like the person who said to me, "I do not believe in God. Just look at my life and see if you could believe in God." My response was, "You are proving definitely that you do not believe in God: you do not have a trace of God's influence in your life, do you?" "No." "So you do not believe in God. How, then, are you going to have God in your life? Do you expect God to knock you down and make you unconscious and then deliver His good to you when you cannot refuse it?" We are closing ourselves to God, more or less, all the time, and then complaining that God is not doing anything for us. This is not our fault. It is because we have been taught to believe that prayer is something we do and that it consists of words and thoughts, whereas ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... New Dispensation of Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:36- 119K
Find Similar Documents