The Heart of Mysticism: October 1959, Freeing Ourselves From Universal Claims
- CHAPTER TEN: OCTOBER Freeing Ourselves from Universal Claims IN spiritual healing, there is always the temptation to try to improve the human scene. The first and normal reaction is to attempt to make a sick person well, to obtain employment for the unemployed, to bring supply to the needy, and happiness to the unhappy. Such persistent attempts at human betterment, however, usually result only in failure. Even though you perceive the significance of this point at this moment, you probably will find it difficult in giving a treatment to refrain from the temptation to desire to change the appearance into an opposite, better appearance. The desire to improve human conditions is natural to you and to me, and it was undoubtedly natural also to Jesus Christ, or he would not have had to go away forty days to renew himself, nor would he have had to leave his disciples every once in awhile for that same purpose, because the only renewal any of us ever needs is to break the mesmerism of appearances. That is the only reason we ever have to pray and commune with the Father; that is the only reason we ever have to go away to be still. There is no other reason. Furthermore, even though many of us are not mesmerized by most forms of error, some of us are still mesmerized in a large measure by good humanhood. The destructive and evil aspects of human-hood rarely tempt us now, but many of us are still tempted by its seemingly more desirable aspects, which in the final analysis are but the opposite of the evil humanhood and in the end can be just as destructive. Give Up All Attempts to Change the Human Picture So it is that, when we sit down to help others, one of our first realizations must be, "I am not trying to change sick matter into healthy matter; I am not trying to change a little matter into a lot of matter; I am not trying to make unhappy people happy. My aim in this meditation is to realize, behold, and demonstrate the Christ." In other words, our function is to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...elves From Universal Claims.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:11- 138K
Find Similar Documents
Our Spiritual Resources: Chapter Ten, The Government Is on His Shoulders
- CHAPTER TEN THE GOVERNMENT IS ON HIS SHOULDERS Once again the world is in one of its periodic crises-one of the many hundreds that have occurred at intervals throughout history. If you are any student at all of world affairs, even to the extent of just reading the front pages of the newspapers or hearing news broadcasts, you must be aware of the fact that there are at least a half dozen major problems facing the world, any one of which could result in the end of this particular civilization and for which no one has offered any kind of solution. We are facing world conditions that are insurmountable humanly. They are not really insurmountable, however, because there are no problems that ever can arise that cannot be settled; and when I say settled, I do not mean settled on the basis of expediency or compromise, but settled advantageously for all concerned. An analogy can be drawn between periods in world history and periods in our individual experience. For example, sometimes there are physical disorders that can be healed easily and inexpensively through medical aid, and as long as our physical ills are on that level, there is nothing much for us to worry about. A few cents' worth of aspirin here or a few cents' worth of bicarbonate of soda there or a few dollars' worth of surgery, and we are all right. It is only when the doctor tells us that we have an incurable disease that we feel we are up against a humanly insurmountable problem, and then it is that many people are driven to find a spiritual solution. So it is in world affairs. As long as the world was going along in what may be called "the good old days," there were very few problems for which a solution could not be found because they were usually localized in some particular area. But the solution to these problems was only a superficial one, and the basic issues were never completely resolved. When, however, these tensions and conflicts became world-wide in scope and a spark in one part of the globe ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ernment Is on His Shoulders.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:00- 109K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 12, Truth Takes Over Your Life
- ... Let Thy love flow through me that I may be wise, loving, benevolent, just. This is somewhat like Solomon's prayer when he took over his high office, that he be given God's wisdom. As you surrender yourself to God's government, to the reign of God, to the spiritual center of man that man may be spiritually-inspired and God-endowed, you are in some measure dealing more wisely, kindly, lovingly, benevolently, and more justly with your neighbor-and more forgivingly with your enemy. And if I wish to be God-governed, I must be still. I must be still and let God's government take over. Yes, there are certain things I must do to prepare myself for God's government. I've learned this from the Master: not to expect God's government if I'm holding somebody in desire for revenge. If I'm holding somebody in hate, there's no way for God to break through my consciousness. The reason is- this comes to you at this stage of unfoldment-that God is love. But God is not a love out here that comes to me. God is a love that I let flow out from me. But since love means forgiveness, benevolence, cooperation, mutuality, sharing, giving, there is no love in me unless those qualities are being expressed. Therefore, to fit myself for God's government, which means the government of love, I must make myself an instrument through which love can flow. And so, step by step, we are strengthened until the day comes when we realize that now we can rest at will in God and let that Spirit that flows through us, that Robe that envelops us, be the prayer, the benediction, and the healing to our community and to the world. We become the light of the world as we bring ourselves to a state of consciousness in which we do not battle the errors of the world, but in which we become completely still and let the Spirit of God nullify and dissolve the pictures of sense. No longer will we struggle with error, but rest, relax, and bear witness to God functioning on earth as in heaven. Above all, we will never forget ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...vernment of Eden_Chapter 12.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:07- 64K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 8, When We Spread Fear, Rumor, ...
- VIII when we spread fear, rumor, hysteria, and mass confusion O N EVERY HAND mankind is gripped by fear in the face of nerve-shattering world conditions, and those of us who have been able, even in a measure, to see the unreal nature of the evil rampant in the world have not only the responsibility of releasing people from their fears but, in releasing them from their fears, preventing the greater tragedy that their fears may bring upon them. People do not fear because they are cowards; they fear because they are gripped by universal hypnotism that makes them act in ways foreign to their nature. It is mass hysteria, having its foundation in ignorance. The evils that befall us are not in God or man but rather in the conditioning that we have received through the ignorance that has been foisted upon us from time immemorial. In other words, every time that we give power to a person, a thing, or a condition, our consciousness is showing forth its conditioning, and to that extent, we become victims of it. It might come as a surprise to see how easy it would be for some person, either for a specific purpose or an experiment, to show us how quickly we could be made to distrust one another, and then, in the end, fear one another. It has been done over and over and over again. It is a very simple thing to condition the minds of persons who are not alert so that they unthinkingly accept the opinions, thoughts, and beliefs of others and respond robot- like to individual suggestions or mass hysteria. If we listened to all the propaganda and the opinions of others, very soon we would be fighting not only with our families but with our neighbors and the whole world. The question is this: To whom do we give allegiance? To whom do we surrender our minds and our thoughts? It is very difficult for persons who have not been taught the value of meditation to turn within to the Presence for Its guidance, instruction, and wisdom. Instead, they rely on opinions gathered from newspapers, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 8.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:06- 84K
Find Similar Documents
Beyond Words & Thoughts: Chapter 6, Measuring Spiritual Progress
- ... Once you have chosen the mystical or spiritual path, you have no power to be either good or evil because when you meditate and make contact with the Spirit within, It performs that which is given you to do. It lives your life, and It is neither good nor evil: It is just spiritual, perfect, and infinite. There is no such thing as good or evil in Spirit; there is no such thing as rich or poor in Spirit: there is infinity. There is no such thing as health or sickness: there is immortality. When you are not living by bread alone, by exercise or diet, when you are not depending solely on money, property, or investments, but when you are living by the word of God that you contact in your meditation, you are no longer living according to your will to be good, to be charitable, or your will to be moral. This is no longer your choice; this no longer lies within your power. Every time that you go within, touch the Spirit, and feel a release, that Spirit is performing the functions of your life, and whatever function you have to perform will be infinitely good, and it will be for eternity, not just for today or tomorrow, and not torn down next week or next month by a depression, a boom, or a war. In other words, the evils of this world will not come nigh your dwelling place because it will no longer be your dwelling: it will be the Father within doing the dwelling. Do you see why it is that when you go to God, it can be only in a complete surrender? Progress on the spiritual path seems to come slowly and imperceptibly, but years of devotion, dedication, and persistence inevitably bring the goal of conscious oneness with God closer and closer. Your pure motive leads you to where there is less and less reaction to the appearance-world; forgiveness and a lack of condemnation mark your attitude toward your fellow man; the fear of death diminishes; and the ego or personal sense is superseded by a recognition of the divine Self of you and of all men. "He that seeth me seeth him that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...easuring Spiritual Progress.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:11- 144K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 8, Invisible Life Fulfills Itself Tangibly & Visibly
- ... One of the barriers to our progress is that we let truth lie dormant in the back of our mind instead of praying without ceasing. * * * * * CONSCIOUSNESS DETERMINES OUR LIFE-EXPERIENCE Nothing can come into our experience except through our consciousness, so what our life will be depends on what we entertain in consciousness. If we entertain the idea of God as omnipresent Intelligence, Love, and Power, good is going to be our experience. Our responsibility is to be still and let Omnipresence flow. We need not take thought or plan anything; we just live whatever flows through, which will be every quality of God. Why? Because that is what we are entertaining in consciousness: God. We do not have to think thoughts of generosity, forgiveness, or abundance. We have only to abide in Omnipresence, Omniscience, and Omnipotence, and when we do that we lose all capacity for anything but God, and God flows through. We find ourselves being loving, generous, kind, and pure, but we have not had to take thought about it. What is in a consciousness that is not imbued with Omnipresence? What is left when God is taken out of our consciousness? Fear, ignorance, superstition, desire, anxiety, concern, get, give me, help me, I, me, mine! When God is absent from consciousness, we are living a life with all the accidental happenings that make up the human experience. Only when consciousness is filled with the presence of God is it true that nothing can enter "that defileth . . . or maketh a lie." 2 Holding good thoughts will not be a protection to us. The only protection is holding thought on God. There is no use thinking thoughts of safety or security or thoughts of abundance. Such thoughts will never bring these to us. A consciousness imbued with God is a consciousness full of love, life, forgiveness, sharing, peace on earth. We cannot have a consciousness filled with God and fail to understand that all mankind is really God in manifestation. Mankind as a whole is not showing this forth ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s Itself Tangibly & Visibly.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:24- 124K
Find Similar Documents
God Formed Us For His Glory: Chapter 4, God Formed Man for His Glory
- Chapter Four God Formed Man for His Glory But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. I Corinthians 2:14 If a spiritual message such as the Infinite Way sounds like foolishness to you, it is because you are seeing and hearing as a human being and can be counted among those of whom Jesus spoke, "Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not?"1 If, on the other hand, this message makes sense to you, it is because your human sense of life is becoming fainter and your spiritual discernment is being awakened and aroused to perceive it. In a colloquy with his disciples the Master asked: Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. . . . But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. Matthew 16:13-17 It was as if Jesus had said to the disciples: "The mind did not tell you that; your eyes did not see it; your ears did not hear it: the Father within you, your spiritual sense, revealed it to you." So it is with a spiritual message. You will never learn a spiritual message merely through the physical senses, not by seeing or by hearing. You will learn a spiritual message when your heavenly Father, that is, your spiritual consciousness, is awake and reveals to you that this is truth, this is the Christ, this is reality. Then are you able to accept it, receive it, respond to it, and demonstrate it. Thought Is Not Power Some persons have accepted the belief that their human mind is God and that by thinking good thoughts they will come true. There are some who believe that if you send them a good thought it will benefit them, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...od Formed Man for His Glory.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:32- 120K
Find Similar Documents
Living Now: Chapter 6, Mind Imbued with Truth
- ~ 6 ~ MIND IMBUED WITH TRUTH Mind is an instrument of awareness. Through the mind we can know and become aware of people, things, and ideas. With the mind we reason; with the mind we think. A human being can gain control of his mind if he is willing to study and practice to attain this mastery; and he can use his mind for a reasoning, a thinking, or a contemplative purpose. But it is the human being who is using his mind, and therefore, that mind must be an instrument or an effect: it cannot be a cause. There is an I behind the mind. There is an I who thinks through the mind and reasons with the mind. In other words, there is an I who uses the mind. Therefore, that I is greater than the mind. Through the instrumentality of the mind, we can think good thoughts or bad thoughts; we can perpetrate good deeds or bad deeds. Mind can be aware of good or of evil. If the mind is the creator of thought, however, and can create good thoughts as well as evil thoughts, then God certainly is not mind. How could mind be God if mind can be the instrument both of good and of evil? God is too pure to behold iniquity; God is light; in Him is no darkness at all; and when we penetrate beyond mind, we are in the realm of neither good nor evil: we are in the realm of pure Being. To have received illumination in any degree is to have revealed within our own being the truth that God is good-not good and evil: good! God is love-not love and hate, just love! God is life-not life and death, just life! God is one, and there is no duality in God, nor are there any pairs of opposites in Him. Once illumination is attained, we are living beyond the pairs of opposites in a consciousness of neither good nor evil. In that state of consciousness, we cannot be good and we cannot be evil: we can just be. The sun cannot be good or evil: it can just shine. If we are out in the sun for the proper length of time, the effect on us is good, but if we are out in it too long and get a severe sunburn, the effect ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 6, Mind Imbued with Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:50- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Living the Illumined Life: Chapter 8, The Fourth Dimension
- ... As a matter of fact, some of the greatest spiritual lights of the world were not among the best of human beings when they began. Sometimes being a very good human being is a barrier to being a spiritual light, because it takes a great deal of humility to attain spiritual realization. The first step in that humility is when the recognition comes that man can be neither good nor evil. That is a very difficult thing for good human beings to accept. They love to dwell on their own goodness and to feel that it is a virtue for which they are entitled to great credit. Furthermore, good human beings are very prone to criticize, judge, or condemn the sinner, or the one who is somewhat less perfect than themselves. Right there they create a block through which the spirit of God cannot penetrate. It is true that God's rain falls on the just and the unjust. It is true that the Master held no one in condemnation. To him there was no waiting for punishment, no waiting to be purged, no waiting for forgiveness. It takes a great deal of humility for a good person to recognize that he is not good but that whatever goodness is manifested in him is really the spirit of God trying to find outlet. If that were more clearly understood, we could then more rightfully enjoy goodness by realizing, "This is not my goodness. This is the goodness of God finding an outlet through me. It is not that I am generous, but that God's gift is being sent out into circulation through me." With such an attitude, we understand more readily the person who for any reason or in any way has fallen from Grace or is away from the path of Grace, because it is only the belief that that individual of himself can be good or bad, and at this particular moment being bad seems the most satisfactory way or the most profitable one. The Remnant, Those Who Attain Conscious Union Those who are seriously directed to the spiritual path should understand that their work at this moment is not to concern themselves with trying to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 8, The Fourth Dimension.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:53- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 3, The Nature of Spiritual Discernment
- ... No Destruction in God's Creation God never created a destructive law. In reality there is no such thing as a law of disease or a law of death. To attain our freedom from these means to attain the power of spiritual discernment, so that we can see the nature of God's law, and in the presence of that power of discernment, the material sense of law evaporates. All the evils of this world are man-created, that is, they are mind-created. They are the creation of that which is called the Lord God, or law. It is the mistaken belief that this law, or Lord God, was God that has resulted in the slavery of the entire world-physical, mental, moral, and financial slavery-and all because the ancient Hebrew Scriptures that spoke of God and a Lord God were interpreted as if both terms meant God, and they do not. The Lord God is the law, and this law is done away with in Christ. Sooner or later the world will realize that the law and God are not the same. The law has to do with as-ye-sow-so-shall-ye-reap, but there is no such law in God. In God there is forgiveness seventy times seven. In God there is not as-ye- sow-so-shall-ye-reap, and it serves you right. Rather, there is, "'Neither do I condemn thee,'6 I forgive thee. I do not judge or condemn thee. I set thee free." So all that has been accepted as the good and evil of God is an error. Only those who realize the nature of God as immortal Being can understand that there can be no destruction in God or the creation of God: no beginning to it, no ending to it. It is a state of immortality. Spiritual Healing, an Activity of Spiritual Discernment Since we were born into the human mind with its belief in good and evil and into the belief that there are God-laws of good and evil, we cannot rise above them except by a conscious act of our consciousness, consciously withdrawing good and evil from this world and its people, and then saying, "Father, I know not how to pray; I know not how to judge; I know not how to understand; I know not ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...re of Spiritual Discernment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:14- 121K
Find Similar Documents