The Journey Back to the Father's House: Chapter 11, Unconditioning the Mind
- Chapter Eleven Unconditioning the Mind From the moment of its birth, a child's mind is being conditioned by some of its parents' beliefs. Much of what parents teach their children is fictitious and false, because the parents are merely passing on to the children the fiction they themselves have accepted as fact. It is much the same as the way many of us were taught about Santa Claus and accepted it, and our minds were, therefore, conditioned to the belief in Santa Claus. So, too, many of us have had concepts of God handed on to us which were almost as erroneous as the pagan concepts that were taught five thousand years ago. But we believed them, and our minds became conditioned to such concepts. We have picked up political, religious, and economic convictions. From the moment of conception on, we have been conditioned to accept beliefs and theories that have absolutely no truth in them, with the result that most persons go through life limited by many of these convictions. Unconditioning the Mind, Not a Psychological but a Spiritual Activity When we live out from a conditioned mind and insist on holding to its concepts, we have no way at all of providing an entrance for the spiritual presence, or the Christ. Only as we begin the unconditioning process can we eventually arrive at that "mind. . . which was also in Christ Jesus." 1 We have to watch out that we do not approach this unconditioning process from a psychological standpoint, for then we would try to search out all the untruths we know, get rid of them, and substitute for them something that we consider to be truth. That way we could be conditioning ourselves with more fiction, because intellectually there is absolutely no way of knowing what is truth. When we approach this subject from a spiritual standpoint, we do not try to discover which of our beliefs or thoughts are truth and which are not, but rather we accept the principle that spiritual truth is within ourselves and, as we learn to go within, this ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...11, Unconditioning the Mind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:25- 128K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XIII, The Father Which Seeth in Secret
- CHAPTER XIII THE FATHER WHICH SEETH IN SECRET And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. MATTHEW 6:5, 6 These words of the Master must come as a shock to us when we realize how many people believe that their most effective prayers are those said in church. How many times have we, ourselves, prayed in public, forgetting that, according to Jesus, prayer must be practiced in secret. Of old, the Pharisees and the scribes prayed in public in much the same manner as do most of the people of our world today, and for their much praying, they received the praise of their neighbors: There is only one thing they lost-God's grace. When our prayers become a matter of public utterance, we are inflating our ego, trying to make something of ourselves, setting out to glorify ourselves, not realizing that thereby we sacrifice the reward of the Father and separate ourselves from the very blessings we are seeking. Anything that glorifies ourselves or attempts to make the world believe that we are something of ourselves tends to separate us from the love of God. The whole teaching of the Master is, "I can of mine self do nothing . . . the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. . . . My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." This injunction to pray in secret does not mean that we cannot unite with others in prayer or meet in church or temple for the purpose of prayer because Jesus also taught that "where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." His intent was that we should not attend church because it is the accepted thing to do-fashionable or politic-or because our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ather Which Seeth in Secret.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:41- 101K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 8, Questions & Answers
- ... I would say that it had to do with your receptivity to truth, which is the highest form of treatment there is, but when we begin to work mentally and then call it God-healing, it is ludicrous. When we reach a state of receptivity, however, so that when any case comes, the ear is open, and the impartation comes like a flash, telling us how to work or what truth to reveal, then that is God- healing. Question: Then you think that was God healing? Answer: There is no question about it, because it came to you without any thought process; it was not conscious thinking. It was a state of receptivity which revealed that truth to you. This, I call being divinely led, because it did not consist of sitting down and giving a treatment to a disease or a condition. I do not believe in that kind of treatment. Turn to God and let God show you the need of the moment. Can you imagine what a man wrongly imprisoned would feel if I told him that there is no injustice, that man is perfect? He would want to throw such words right back at me. But when one is led to tell him the story of Joseph and his brethren, then he might begin to understand the spiritual sense of forgiveness. The higher sense of forgiveness is looking through the human being and his activity and seeing that there at the center of his being sits God, which at the moment is being misinterpreted. In all treatment, never do I permit myself to think a thought, to make a denial, or to affirm a truth. I take the attitude: "Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth. . . . 8 Be still, and know that I am God." 9 Take the attitude that this is God's universe; let God do something about it; be a witness to God in action. Then you are led to say the right thing, think the right thing, or do the right thing. That is how the book, The Letters, came into existence. Whenever letters came from patients out of town asking for help, no matter what the problem was, I would sit down and turn within and let the Father speak. Then I would write a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 8, Questions & Answers.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:17- 123K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 6, The New Name
- ~ 6 ~ THE NEW NAME "To him that overcometh"-more especially to him who overcomes that desire to seek and to search in the outer realm-"will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth." 1 What is that name? Christ. No more are you Jones, Brown, or Smith; no more are you "man, whose breath is in his nostrils;" 2 no more are you a man seeking good; no more are you a prodigal, separate and apart from the Father's house. Now your name is Christ. Is there anything for the Christ to receive? Or is the Christ that which feeds and heals the multitudes, that which restores and resurrects, that which is, in and of itself, the kingdom of all harmony? A new name you receive: no longer man. But would you tell your friends that you are the Christ? No! Never voice such things as "I am God," "I am spiritual," "I am the Christ," or "I am the son of God." Do not ever do that! It would not be true. It would be just the same as going around and saying, "I am honest; I am moral; I am good." You could hardly do that, and if you did, I am afraid your neighbors might suspect you. And they would certainly have every right to suspect you if you ever said, "I am the Christ." Only once or twice did the Master reveal his true identity. He was very, very careful about that. Even when Pilate asked him, "Art thou the King of the Jews?" Jesus' answer was, "Thou sayest." 3 He did not say it! All life is a matter of choices. "Choose you this day whom ye will serve." 4 If you choose, you can remain "man, whose breath is in his nostrils." If you choose, you can continue your search for good, your search for supply, your search for eternality and for immortality. You can continue your search for peace, and sometime or other you may stumble upon it or it may be brought to you. Or you can give up your search this very moment: you can give up your desire for good; you can give up all expectation of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ts_ Chapter 6, The New Name.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:41- 105K
Find Similar Documents
Living by the Word: Chapter 12, The Message of the Bible
- Chapter Twelve The Message of the Bible The state of consciousness you are, the elevation of consciousness you attain, this determines what manner of life you lead. It determines whether you live the life of a grub-worm, of a slave, or a free man, or the life of a spiritual entity. It all depends upon what your state of consciousness is. In one state of consciousness, you could very well have been a slave and had everybody ordering you about. But as, through Grace, a higher realization came, you asserted your dominion and became a free man-still human, but free. As greater light came and your consciousness changed, you realized, "I am not merely a free man. I am a spiritual man. I have God-given strength, God-given dominion, and God-given freedom." Eventually you will reach the place in consciousness where Jesus was when he said, "He that seeth me seeth him that sent me." 1 Jesus had not always been at that stage. At one time he was at the state of other Hebrew rabbis in the temple, but he grew until he came to the passage where he read from the book of Isaiah and said, "The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised. . . . This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears." 2 With that, he realized, "Why, no, I'm not going to stand on a platform just reading out of a book." So he stepped down from that platform and went out into the world, not as a temple rabbi but as a world rabbi. Later, all that passed from him, and he was no longer a rabbi: he was a Master. So it is that one day you are addressed as housewife or businessman, then one day as a practitioner, and later as teacher. If you keep ascending in consciousness, one day you will be addressed as Master. It all depends on your state of consciousness. If you have advanced to this point, you are already ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...2, The Message of the Bible.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:49- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Healing: Chapter XIV, Under the Shadow of the Almighty
- CHAPTER XIV UNDER THE SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble. PROVERBS 3:23 Be strong and courageous, be not afraid nor dismayed for the king of Assyria, nor for all the multitude that is with him: for there be more with us than with him: With him is an arm of flesh; but with us in the Lord our God to help us, and to fight our battles. II CHRONICLES 32:7, 8 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour, thou savest me from violence. II SAMUEL 22:3 The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. PSALM 18:2 As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the Lord is round about his people from henceforth even for ever. PSALM 125:2 For I, saith the Lord, will be unto her a wall of fire round about, and will be the glory in the midst of her. ZECHARIAH 2:5 The Bible is filled with promises of safety to those who live consciously in the presence of God. It testifies to a God who is available in every experience and in every circumstance of our existence; but it does not promise the world immunity from disaster-from earthquake, floods, or fire. As long as human beings are living in this world, they will experience some of the cataclysmic effects of the world's materialistic thinking. But the promise is clear that if there is famine, if there are floods, if there is fire, war, or bombs, those who live in God will walk through them, they will not in any wise touch them. Why is this? Why should they be singled out to be saved from the world's disasters? Most churchgoing people assume that these biblical promises of safety apply to them, that they are of the household of God and are the ones to whom these evils will not come nigh. But strangely enough when war and disaster come, these very persons who have led good and upright lives ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... the Shadow of the Almighty.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:34- 120K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter IX, This Is a Spiritual Universe
- CHAPTER IX THIS IS A SPIRITUAL UNIVERSE Several years ago when I was on my way to South Africa, I stopped off for a day in the Belgian Congo, and after the man in charge of the bookings and his assistant had taken care of all my tickets, made whatever examinations were necessary, and weighed my luggage, I called a little native boy to carry my three bags out to the plane which I was boarding for Johannesburg. This was such a small air station that I could see the boy as he walked out of the gate onto the field with one large piece of baggage in each hand and a small piece under his arm. A few minutes later he returned without any baggage and I said to him questioningly, "O.K.?" to which he replied, "O.K." When I arrived in Johannesburg the next morning, there was only the one tiny little piece of baggage waiting for me, and the other two large pieces were missing. Immediately, the personnel of this tremendously big and active airport at Johannesburg began searching for my baggage, but they did not find it in the enclosure nor was it with the crew's baggage; and furthermore when they sent someone to search the plane, there was no baggage there, either. The person in charge of the airline said that he would immediately contact the station in the Belgian Congo and would soon have an answer for me, so there was nothing for me to do but go to my hotel. The Infinite Way students in Johannesburg had arranged for me to visit Krueger National Park, so after buying some necessary clothing, we started out on our three-day trek through this fabulous wild-animal preserve with the full expectation of picking up my baggage when we returned. But upon our return no baggage had as yet been found. The only explanation the airline had to offer was that somebody must have stolen it, and that that somebody must have been the little native boy and a confederate because the last time the bags were seen was when he had picked them up and carried them out onto the field. The absurdity of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...his Is a Spiritual Universe.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:38- 110K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XIX, Attaining Divine Sonship
- CHAPTER XIX ATTAINING DIVINE SONSHIP When we have encompassed the First and Second Degrees, a new dimension of life, an entirely different area of consciousness, opens up to us. In that moment there is something within us that is no longer a quotation, an affirmation, or a recalling of truth: it is an experience. We have entered the Third Degree, where we no longer live by the standards of this world, where the values are different, and life is governed not so much by what the outer law is as by what our inner integrity is. It is at this point that we pass from law to Grace. As human beings we live under man-made laws which continue to operate as long as we remain in ignorance, and until we are awakened, we are held in slavery to all kinds of mental and physical laws. As we come to an awareness of a spiritual Presence within us, we gradually become immune to these laws because as we pass into the third stage, the Presence lives our life, and It cannot be influenced, nor can It be acted upon by physical or mental laws: It is immune to them for they are only theories, superstitions, and the universal belief in two powers. In proportion as the son of God is raised up in us, these laws do not operate, and not only are we not receptive or responsive to them, but we aid in nullifying them for others who may come to us. When an immunity is developed to material and mental laws, we live in an entirely different world because then we do not have to take the law into consideration, nor do we have to be concerned about things. Having found the kingdom of God and dwelling in it, something else is taking over the responsibility for our entire experience. The government is on His shoulder, on this divine Son which in the Third Degree is now raised up in us. In our humanhood It was dormant; It stood by and could do nothing. Regardless of what wrong was done to us, we had to resign ourselves to it unless our human wisdom or strength could provide an escape for us, and in most cases ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...X, Attaining Divine Sonship.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 97K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XXIV, The Master Alchemist
- CHAPTER XXIV THE MASTER ALCHEMIST Too many Occidentals believe that the mystical life is not only impractical, but largely a figment of the imagination. In this age, however, the way of mysticism is being shown to be, not something mythical, mysterious, or occult, but spiritual, and a far more practical way of life than any yet devised in the human realm. It changes life from the everyday humdrum human experience with its trials and tribulations and its ups and downs to an entirely different kind of life, one lived from within, and yet not lived by us, but rather lived through us-a life in which we pass from living by taking thought and by our own effort to living by the Spirit. The Master Christ Jesus taught his followers to "resist not evil," to cease from strife of all kinds whether by the sword or the law, and to give twice as much in return if something were taken from them. Such a teaching sounds very impractical for this day and age, but as a matter of fact, it is far more practical than living a life dependent for its security and safety upon an army, navy, and air force: not only would we be relieved of the staggering expense of maintaining them, but we would also be relieved of any danger from an enemy because in this way of life there are no enemies. It would be as impossible to live with this transcendental Presence and have an enemy as it would be to live with It and then find oneself in danger from snakes, wild animals, starvation, or any other form of physical or mental discord. This is a very difficult idea for the human mind to grasp. What the unillumined mind sees, hears, tastes, touches, and smells seems so real, and the material and mental universe looks so real, that nothing could be considered quite as ridiculous as to stand before the highest temporal authority of the day and calmly state, "Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above," or to say, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... XXIV, The Master Alchemist.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:02- 107K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 3, States & Stages of Consciousness
- ~ 3 ~ STATES AND STAGES OF CONSCIOUSNESS THE READING ASSIGNMENT TONIGHT will begin in "States and Stages of Consciousness" in Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture, and continue to the end of the book. The reason for this assignment is this: I want to tell you tonight that the mental and the spiritual are not synonymous. In the metaphysical world, it has been believed for many years, that mental and spiritual healing are the same thing, whereas they are actually as far apart as material and spiritual healing. What is mental healing? Mental and material healing are the same thing on two levels of consciousness. The mental is a little higher and lighter than the material. But they are two strata of the same belief. You have heard the terms "mentally spiritual" or "spiritually mental." That is exactly the same as saying "a godly devil." They are that far apart, not that one is necessarily right and one is wrong. They are different levels of consciousness and they are as far apart as the North and South Poles. The reason for this mixture of the spiritual and the mental goes back to the beginning of mental practice. Mental practice was originated in Germany by Franz Anton Mesmer, the physician who discovered animal magnetism. He discovered that there is an invisible vital fluid, a mental fluid that passes through the practitioner and the patient and that it acts hypnotically through suggestion. One of Mesmer's students came to New England, landed in Portland, Maine, and found a student there named Quimby. Mesmer's student taught this mesmerism, then known as hypnotism or animal magnetism, to Mr. Quimby and for many years they engaged in this activity for entertainment purposes. Mr. Quimby later became known as Dr. Quimby, and came to have with him a young patient, or student, who worked as assistant. This boy developed the faculty, under hypnotism, of discerning the mental cause for the physical diseases of people coming on the platform. He passed this on to Mr. Quimby ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s & Stages of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:19- 118K
Find Similar Documents