The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 14, Overcoming Mesmeric Sense
- ~ 14 ~ OVERCOMING MESMERIC SENSE Now I'm going to explain a mystery, and if it shocks some of you don't hesitate to pray about the subject within yourself. Don't go to anyone and ask them to explain it. Certainly don't complain to anybody because I said it; but take it into your own inner sanctuary and ask God for light on this subject. You know there are pilgrimages to Lourdes, and that out of every hundred- thousand people who go there only fifteen are certified as being healed. You know there isn't a day, an hour, that churches, synagogues, and temples aren't open where prayers are uttered for the sick. And you know what would be happening if materia medica weren't right on the job! Haven't you wondered why all of these prayers to God have not healed the sick? Haven't many of you prayed to God for your children or your parents or your wives or husbands, and wondered why you didn't get an answer? Then let it be clear to you now that God knows nothing of disease and therefore has no possible way of healing it. God would first have to know you were sick before God could heal you, and if God knew you were sick and did nothing about it until you prayed, what kind of a God would you have? In other words, humanity experiences a complete separation between God and man "whose breath is in his nostrils." If there weren't such a complete sense of separation between God and humanity, humanity wouldn't be sick, sinning, dying, aging, or decrepit. You can't believe for a moment that if God were on the field such things would be happening in the lives of millions. Do you, any one of you, actually believe that God knew there were seven million Jews being burnt up in ovens? Do you really believe that God knew that? Is there one of you who does not know how sincerely the Hebrew people prayed to their God, how earnest they were in their devotions? But they were burnt up! Do you know that seven hundred thousand Hebrews lived in the city of Amsterdam before the last war and only ten ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., Overcoming Mesmeric Sense.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:51- 124K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: May 1957, The Christ - The Presence in You
- CHAPTER FIVE: MAY The Christ, The Presence in You THERE is a Presence and a Power which is always available to us, but it can only be realized in secrecy and in silence. Secrecy is one of the most profound truths revealed in the Master's teaching: Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.1 Secrecy is an important principle of The Infinite Way and forms a vital part of its message. Those who have taken this teaching seriously and have followed it have benefited beyond words. There are others who have received the teaching, but who have not understood it. In their inability to perceive its significance, they have not obeyed it, and therefore, have not benefited from it. No teaching is of real value as long as it remains an abstraction; it must find expression in our daily life. Every principle of The Infinite Way should be related to our experience and then lived as our experience. Let us take, as an example, this principle of secrecy enunciated by the Master and see how it can be applied to our everyday relationships. If I perform some good and generous act and if my friends hear about it, they will, in all probability, praise me, thank me, and speak well of me. My ego may be considerably inflated by their acknowledgment and recognition of my good deed. On the other ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hrist - The Presence in You.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:08- 156K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Get Thee Hence Satan
- "Get Thee Hence, Satan" It took a really great mystic to discover the secret of impersonal evil and devise the name "devil" or "Satan" for it. This devil or Satan, as it was first conceived, did not mean an opponent of God; it had no such meaning at all. Instead, it meant something in the nature of a tempter-not a power or a person, but a tempter offering temptation. The evil is never in us; it is the tempter that tempts us into sin, disease, death, lack, and limitation, and this tempter should be recognized at all times as the impersonal source of evil. When the devil stood before Jesus in the wilderness tempting him to turn the stones into bread, Jesus answered, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." 1 Again Satan tempted the Master to cast himself down from the pinnacle of the temple, and Jesus' answer was, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." 2 Once more Satan offered him temptation in the form of worldly glory, and to this, Jesus replied, "Get thee hence, Satan." 3 With this recognition of the devil as the impersonal source of evil, Satan left him. From then on what do we hear about Satan as far as the Master is concerned? He does not appear any more. He seems to have faded out, right there and then. With that "Get thee hence, Satan," Satan is no more. The Master is alone, alone with God, consciously one with God, the victor, with full dominion. But the tempter, the devil, is gone; the temptation is gone. Temptation Always Appears as a Person or a Condition Every need for help for yourself or any call for help that comes from someone else should be recognized as a temptation, a temptation to be rejected. Even if it should be someone close to a hundred years, suffering from old age, remember that the claim of age has to do merely with the calendar. The calendar affects us only if we accept it, keep looking at it every day, and wondering what story it tells, instead of proving how impersonal it can be ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...eader_ Get Thee Hence Satan.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:18- 144K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter XII, Resist Not
- CHAPTER XII RESIST NOT To live the spiritual life means to live above the human sense of life, to live without recourse to human modes and means, that is, to live by the Christ. It means never to return evil for evil, never to pray or hope or wish or desire that another suffer for his offense-even his offense to us-never to desire to recoup our losses, which is the human way of life and, under our laws, legal. But legal or not, this is not the way of the Christ. True, if someone defrauds us, it is considered legitimate, proper, and right to sue him, but such procedure is not spiritual. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. MATTHEW 5:40 If someone were to counsel us, "I say to you, you must stop your lawsuits. If anybody wants to take your property, let him have it; if he wants your home, let him take it; if he takes your automobile, let him have it; and if he decides to come in and get your jewelry, let him have that too, and then look around and see if you cannot give him a few extra things in addition to what he already has taken," such advice would seem contrary to all reason. But that is what Jesus tells us to do in the fifth chapter of the Gospel of Matthew, and at this moment we have no way of knowing whether he was right or wrong. We have no way of knowing whether we might not benefit twice over by obeying that very command because most of us have not tried the resist-not-evil way of life; and moreover, until we have reached that state of consciousness, it would probably be very unwise for us to try it. At first thought, such a teaching might seem to mean that we are to let anybody and everybody walk all over us, defraud and take from us all that we have while we are just the sweet gentle things that permit ourselves to be walked on. But Jesus the Christ never meant that. What he meant was that we should not retaliate humanly, but he did not say what would happen spiritually if his advice were followed. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ce_ Chapter XII, Resist Not.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:40- 113K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 15, Immanuel
- ~ 15 ~ IMMANUEL Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. Psalm 100 "KNOW YE THAT THE LORD HE IS GOD: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves." Let us take that as our guiding light; let us try to realize in this moment that it is He that has made us, and not we ourselves. Just to be reminded of that truth and keep it uppermost in consciousness should be a healing influence. Immediately, whatever of sin, disease, or discord may be floating about anywhere should begin to fade out with the realization: "It is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves." That places the responsibility for our health, wealth, peace, safety and security upon God, the creative Principle. To each one of us, God means something different, but those differences are not important. What is important is that we recognize that there is a creative Principle, a causative Power, and that It created us, and not we ourselves. In the New Testament, John confirms this truth when he says, "Now are we the sons of God." 1 Again it is made clear that God is the causative or creative principle of our being. If once we are able to accept that, how comforting it is to realize that that which God has created He must maintain and sustain. God must be the law unto it-not only the law-giver, but the law itself. God must be the life of that which God creates, and if God is the life of our being, then our being is eternal and immortal. Therefore, to accept even for a moment the belief or fear of death, of passing on, or of leaving this plane of consciousness is really a sin against the Holy Ghost. We ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...s New_ Chapter 15, Immanuel.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:45- 117K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 3, God Revealing the Infinity of Being
- ~ 3 ~ GOD REVEALING THE INFINITY OF BEING The words of wise men are heard in quiet more than the cry of him that ruleth among fools. Ecclesiastes 9:17 We are surrounded at all times by what Scripture calls "angels," which hover about us always. Within us are those divine ideas or spiritual impulses which guide, lead, and direct us, even though as human beings we are not aware of them. As human beings, brought up with the ordinary church experience or with no church at all, we are not aware of the fact that we are constantly under divine government, divine guidance. In reality we are under the law of the Spirit of God, and under the spirit of the law of God. In practice, we walk around like the Prodigal, thinking, "I, of mine own self, am something and I am going out into the world to make a name for myself, to earn a living for myself, and to become something great of and by myself." Thereby, we set up a counterfeit identity and develop concern about the health, wealth, success, and contacts of this counterfeit identity. Yet, all the time, even though probably we have never thought of it, we have been completely surrounded by an atmosphere of love and completely enveloped in divine Being. As a matter of fact, we are divine Being. We are the Father-consciousness Itself, but we have walked about in the world, believing that consciousness to be something small, finite, insignificant, and unimportant. The purpose of this ministry is to bring us back to the Father's house, back to a consciousness of the presence and power of God. We are in this work but for one purpose-to be led back to the kingdom of our own consciousness in which God is manifested as divine wisdom, as divine love, as life, truth, permanence, immortality, and eternality. Synonyms for God For a moment, let us consider the synonyms for God, taking just a few with which we are familiar. We know God as infinite being, and therefore, we take each of the synonyms for God as representing the allness and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...aling the Infinity of Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:29- 146K
Find Similar Documents
God Formed Us For His Glory: Chapter 8, Illumined Prayer
- Chapter Eight Illumined Prayer God is at the center of our being, and in one way or another It can make Itself known to us. It may be interpreted as sound or as light. Many persons, however, do not hear sound or see light: they merely have a feeling of the presence. But in whatever way It translates Itself to a person, It is an evidence of Immanuel, God with us. Whether we hear, see, or feel something, that something is an effect, not God. It is the effect of the invisible presence called God. I, myself, am neither clairvoyant nor clairaudient. I have no psychic gifts whatever, and never have had, so I have not had some of the experiences others may have had. Only Those of Spiritual Vision Can Witness the Ascension Had we been present when Jesus walked the earth after his entombment, following the crucifixion, we might have been one of the five hundred who saw Jesus and spoke with him, or one of the multitudes who said that Jesus had been buried and his friends had taken the body away, leaving the tomb empty. Had we been one of those five hundred who saw him, we would have been one of those of spiritual vision who became a follower of the Master. Had we been one of the multitudes who did not witness him walking the earth, we would have been one of those earthbound persons who sees only what he believes or believes only what he sees; one of those who, if he cannot see it, hear it, taste it, touch it, or smell it, does not believe. The Hebrews of those days saw only the body that was entombed; those who saw Jesus walk the earth again became the Christians. If those of us on the three-dimensional level of life had been present with Enoch, Elijah, or Jesus, we would most likely not have been aware that they ascended or were translated because unless we had the spiritual vision of the fourth-dimensional consciousness, we would not have witnessed it. Instead we would have seen what we call a corpse or the mortal remains right where everyone else in the third-dimensional ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 8, Illumined Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:32- 125K
Find Similar Documents
Living the Illumined Life: Chapter 7, Preparation for Spiritual Baptism
- Chapter Seven Preparation for Spiritual Baptism Spiritual grace is an anointing by the Spirit, and our part in receiving this anointing is to prepare for it. Many persons wonder why the blessings of the Spirit do not come to them, or at least why these blessings do not come in greater measure, and yet they do not realize that they themselves are setting up the barriers that prevent it. There is probably one thing that all mystics agree on in their presentation of the revelations of truth that have come to them, and that is that the nature of God is love. That is one outstanding agreement. To receive God is to receive love, but what do we offer as instruments through which to receive love? The answer is that in the degree that we live as human beings, we engage in judgment, criticism, condemnation, and unforgiveness. As human beings, we live out from the old Hebraic eye-for-an-eye-and-tooth-for-a-tooth law, and are quite unable to forgive seventy times seven. In a consciousness of that nature, it is virtually impossible to receive the anointing of the Spirit. We must prepare ourselves for the anointing by a change from within which in scripture has been called the renewing of the mind: "Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind." 1 When the Master taught such things as loving our neighbor as ourselves, praying for the enemy, forgiving those who persecute us, resisting not evil, he was not actually setting forth a spiritual message. He was preparing human consciousness to receive the anointing of the Spirit because until we bring ourselves to that state of consciousness, to that renewal of our mind, it is not possible to receive the Holy Ghost. The Pure Consciousness Is Free of Judgment One example of the necessity for freedom from judgment as to what is pure and what is not pure can be found in the experience of Peter who in the depth of his great love for Judaism could not bring himself to eat the meat of the pig or to teach the truth of the Christian message ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation for Spiritual Baptism.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:53- 123K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 11, The Infinite Way of Life
- Chapter Eleven The Infinite Way of Life The Infinite Way is a way of life to which we are led at some time in our experience. It is a way that cannot be told to any person: he has to seek it; he has to want it. Since all of us are at different states and stages of consciousness, not one of us can be ready for every message at every moment. So it is that there is always a moment in your life or mine when we are ready for this particular way of life. The purpose of the Infinite Way is to bring about a transition in consciousness from a material sense of life to a spiritual consciousness of life. In this work a transition is made out of the world of material and mental powers to a state of consciousness where there is no power. Spiritual power is really not a power in the sense of doing anything to anything or anyone, or being used for any purpose whatsoever. Assume Control over Your Mind In the material sense of life, matter and material power in its many forms, down to and even beyond the atom, can be used. As we advance, we come to a place in consciousness where we can use mental powers and can control what goes into our mind or what comes out of our mind if we so desire. Most persons are not only at the mercy of material powers and forces, however, but unfortunately they have not learned how to control what goes into the mind and what goes out from it. When they find one of the metaphysical movements, they learn that they have jurisdiction over the mind. They can choose not only to read spiritual or metaphysical literature, but they can also choose to refuse to entertain the fear-thoughts of this world. By accepting their dominion they can refuse admittance to anything undesirable. It is you, individually, who must, at some time or other, refuse any longer to be a victim of universal beliefs, of the malpractice of the world or the domination of the minds of men, refuse to be taken in by false advertising or by the millions of unseen and unheard thoughts that travel ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...1, The Infinite Way of Life.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:15- 127K
Find Similar Documents
The Journey Back to the Father's House: Chapter 8, Special Lesson on Healing Work
- Chapter Eight Special Lesson on Healing Work Those who have not spent considerable time practicing spiritual principles will at times forget them, and thereby delay their experience of good. And what is it they will forget? They will forget that they are not to look to one another for anything, and that includes husbands and wives, parents and children. The very earliest time possible in the morning, we open ourselves to God's grace and consciously realize that we live, not by might or by power, but by the spirit. We live, not by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God; neither do we live by the favor of individuals, or the good will of individuals; nor do we live by our place or position in life. We live by the grace of God. Our Good Flows From the Center of Our Being If we are to live in the mystical consciousness, we must abide in the realization that our expectancy is always and only from the spiritual source within us. We must abide in the truth that "I have meat to eat that ye know not of," 1 and then be careful not to look to a person, a thing, an organization, or a relationship for it. When we thoroughly understand and realize this oneness, as if there were only one person in the world, God appearing as individual being, our good must flow from within us, not to us from anyone, but from us and through us. Our good may come to us through people, but there is no law that says it has to. There is no law or rule that says we must derive our income from our work. Within us must be the complete realization that our manna can fall from the sky or, if necessary, ravens can bring us food. Our supply can come through a thousand different directions. Therefore, we need not look to anyone. Of course, there must always be that sense of gratitude to those through whom it comes, but not the feeling that it comes from them: it comes through them; but it comes from the center of our being. I is infinite, and there is nothing and no one outside of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...cial Lesson on Healing Work.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:24- 126K
Find Similar Documents