A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter II, Release God
- CHAPTER II RELEASE GOD Only the very courageous can embark on the spiritual journey, and only those of great strength and vision can hope to continue on this Path. Nearly twenty centuries ago, the Master made it clear that the way is straight and narrow and few there be that enter. That this is true is borne out by the fact that up to the present time very few have been able to remain on the spiritual path and continue to go forward. It is not easy to surmount superstition, ignorance, and fear, and, despite prejudice and previous failures, to set forth in search of new horizons. We cannot adopt new ideas while still clinging to the outworn beliefs of the past: we must be willing to relinquish our old concepts. That is where the courage comes in, and the daring. It takes courage to leave behind that which has proved to be unsatisfactory in our experience. It takes courage to look at ourselves objectively and ask: Have I sincerely worshiped God? Have I in some measure lived up to my convictions about God? When we turn to the search for God, we should be bold enough to ask ourselves: Am I satisfied with such answers to prayers as have been given to the world? Do I believe that such truth as has been revealed is all the truth there is, or am I seeking for something yet unknown except to those few mystics who have experienced the truth, tried to impart their knowledge, failed, and gone on their way? Man's heritage is spiritual freedom, and if the revelation of Jesus Christ has taught us nothing else, it is that we are entitled to live in the full freedom of the Spirit as children of God, not as prisoners of the mind and body. Freedom is not a condition of mind or of body: freedom is a condition of the Soul. If we do not find our freedom in Soul, we will find only limitation and bondage in our experience. Freedom cannot be given to a nation or to a race of people: freedom must first be realized in individual being, and then some measure of that freedom can be shared with ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ty_ Chapter II, Release God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:58- 135K
Find Similar Documents
Awakening Mystical Consciousness: Chapter 3, Spiritual Power Unveiled
- ... The protection that is necessary is not more or better bombs. I am not a pacifist and am not trying to stop anyone from manufacturing bombs. But the world will be saved by spiritual power alone, and spiritual power comes only through the consciousness of individuals. There has always been spiritual power; but until it comes through a Moses, an Elijah, a Jesus, a Paul, or anyone else who attains this understanding, it is not in evidence. Spiritual power will govern this earth through our individual consciousness in proportion to our not fearing the error and not using spiritual power against the error, just declaring within ourselves "Spiritual power." Someday we will have a body of people in this world touched by the Spirit; they will meet; and peace will be. Peace will come through the activity of the Spirit that is now abroad in the world, touching people of all lands. Those who have been touched by the Spirit are helping and can further help to awaken humanity to this touch of the Spirit by their prayers, by fulfilling acts of Grace- forgiveness, praying for the enemy-but above all, by an understanding of the nature of the Messiah. The Messiah taught, "My kingdom is not of this world." 17 "Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." 18 Most people think of God as an almighty King; they even sing hymns to the almighty King, the King that goes out before them to slay their enemies, the King that conquers lands for them. The result has been that when conquerors have gone out with armies, there has always been a minister or priest to bless them, as if God sanctioned or could bless the conquering of other peoples. Armies and navies go out to slay, and somebody can always be found to say a prayer for them. All this is based on the erroneous ancient Hebrew teaching that God is an almighty King and that His function is to see that our enemies are slain and that we are victorious. We must always be victorious, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...3, Spiritual Power Unveiled.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:07- 133K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: March 29, 1964, Freedom Is an Activity Within Your Own Consciousness
- FREEDOM IS AN ACTIVITY WITHIN YOUR OWN CONSCIOUSNESS March 29, 1964 Between Two Worlds Honolulu, Hawaii THE HUMAN BEING LIVES in a world of material sense, and this means that his measurement of life consists of amounts, weights, degrees, abundances, limitations. One of the first things an infant learns is that two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time. In other words, when he hits his head against a table he discovers that either the head or the table belongs there, but not both. As we grew up we measured everything in that manner; in relationship of power we ascribed good power to some germs and evil power to some germs. We ascribed powers of good to some individuals, powers of evil to other individuals. Therefore, in the materialistic sense of life we are always conferring powers upon some one or some thing. The entire human experience is made up of this combination of good and evil, externalized good and evil, and we give power to everything external to ourselves. As a matter of fact we seldom reserve any power at all, any dominion to our selves. Practically everything good comes from someone or something, and practically everything evil comes from someone or something, and we are either the beneficiary or the victim. Rarely do we acknowledge that we have dominion. This is the materialistic concept of life. As you come to a mystical teaching you begin to reverse this, and as a rule you start with the word God. Not only do you begin to give more power to God and less power to the external world, but you even give power to God "over" the external world. In other words you turn to God as a power over disease, and all orthodox religion is built on that premise because all of their prayers are for healing or for well-being. Unlike the metaphysicians, they do not have the same faith that it is going to happen, but orthodoxy does give lip service to the belief that God is a power over disease. It is in this same way that families ask for prayers of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...thin Your Own Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:18- 97K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 6, Making The Transition From Personal Sense To Spiritual Being
- ~ 6 ~ MAKING THE TRANSITION FROM PERSONAL SENSE TO SPIRITUAL BEING IN THE WORLD OF "THE NATURAL MAN,"1 the human being who is not under the law of God, there is the personal sense of "I" which constitutes humanhood. You call me Joel, but I call myself "I." The "I" that I call Joel claims to have a mind of his own that forms opinions and concepts based on background, family, race, religion, politics, and education. Because of this human "I," Joel does not see or hear correctly. As a result the human sense of "I" looks out at you and, instead of knowing you as you are, immediately forms concepts, opinions, and judgments of you. If I were to tell you what my concept of you is, you would say, "Oh, that's not I. You don't know me. I am not like that at all." If I could talk to the politicians I do not like and tell them how I see them, they would also say, "I'm not like that at all. My own mother would disown me if I were like that." Yet that is how I see them. You do exactly the same thing in your humanhood as you look out at your friends, your relatives, or your enemies. You are forming concepts and opinions of them, believing that they are like that. And they are not that way at all. To each of you, a time must come when you set aside your views, opinions, and concepts, and turn within to let the Spirit bear witness with your spirit. As long as you judge by appearances, as long as you see and believe in good and evil, you are not under the law of God. Surprising as that may sound, you may as well accept it. SPIRITUAL BEING FORMS NO JUDGMENTS When you make the transition to the man who lives "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God,"2 you form no judgments, but rather create a vacuum within yourself, resulting in an attitude of listening so that divine judgment can be rendered. Then you will discover that you never hear or see good or evil, but rather that the man and the universe of God's creating are revealed to you, and you see the people about whom ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...al Sense To Spiritual Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:44- 112K
Find Similar Documents
Practicing the Presence: Chapter X, The Vision to Behold
- CHAPTER X THE VISION TO BEHOLD In the beginning in the Edenic days, man was complete, whole, and harmonious- one with God. By the grace of God everything flourished, and there was peace. What man is now striving to attain in his search for God is the re-establishment of that Edenic state of complete peace and harmony, a state in which we are not at war with one another, but in love with one another; a state in which we do not deprive others, but share and give to others. The hope of man has been that by finding some supernatural power he would be able to recapture that state of bliss on earth. It must be clear to every thinking person, however, that in his attempt to find harmony, man has been searching in the wrong way and in the wrong place. Individual harmony and world peace will never be established by searching for some supernatural power. Man's need is to re-establish himself in his original Edenic estate which is oneness with God. Hundreds of years of frustration and failure should have proved to the world that it is not the work of a God to do this for us: It is our work to do it for ourselves by establishing that original relationship of oneness. The Master said, "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." Nowhere does he indicate that this is God's responsibility. Time and time again he reiterates that it is our responsibility: "Ye shall know the truth . . . Ye shall love the Lord thy God . . . Ye shall love thy neighbor as thyself . . . Ye shall pray for the enemy . . . Ye shall forgive seventy times seven . . . Ye shall bring the tithes into the storehouse." In no place and at no time does he place the responsibility for our sense of separation from God upon God, but upon us. To us is addressed the entire teaching of Jesus Christ-not to God, to us. Lest, however, we should flounder, the Master has given us the way, the where, the when, and the how of this demonstration of unity: The way is prayer; the where is the kingdom of God within ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter X, The Vision to Behold.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:03- 117K
Find Similar Documents
The Only Freedom: Chapter 2, Neither Do I Condemn Thee
- ... The evil that we do is an evil against ourselves and results in the opposite of reward-punishment; but this also comes from within ourselves. Even if "man, whose breath is in his nostrils" 3 never discovers the evil deed, never brings us into court, never imprisons us, that which we are in secret knows what we are and it rewards us openly or punishes us openly. When Does Forgiveness Come? The reason the world rises in rebellion against the teaching of the one Self is that it makes every person amenable to himself; it makes him responsible to himself and for himself. It does not permit him the luxury of mouthing such platitudes as, "Oh, God will forgive us our sins." Nonsense! God never forgives our sins any more than God punishes our sins. The punishment for our sin lasts just as long as the sin lasts, because whatever is done, we do it to ourselves. We can forgive each other if we happen to be sufficiently good-natured or loving, but that does not exempt us from the punishment for our misdemeanors. No, regardless of how much we may forgive each other, there is no forgiveness. The only forgiveness is in returning to our Father's house, to our principle, and again living in harmony with that principle. It is pure fiction to believe in some God in heaven who is going to look down and forgive us ... We must rise to that place in consciousness where not only are there no evil human beings but where there also are no good human beings. Everyone takes his rightful place as a child of God. We have not forgiven the trespasses of the world as long as we say, "You are a good human being or you are an evil human being." We understand the nature of forgiveness only when we are able to look through the good and the evil and realize, "Thou art the child of God in whom He is well pleased." Making Peace with One Another It matters not what our sins are outwardly. They represent the generations which have lived with a sense of separation from God. Our sins and our poverty and our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., Neither Do I Condemn Thee.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:33- 115K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 13, Solving Individual Problems
- ~ 13 ~ SOLVING INDIVIDUAL PROBLEMS WITHOUT A KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING of God, there is no spiritual message, there is no spiritual mission, and there is no spiritual life. Throughout the ages, the worship of God as something or someone far-off and the worship of a God who must be appealed to, petitioned, or told our needs has prevented us from experiencing the presence and power of God. Today, we have made a real advance spiritually because we are beginning to understand that God is divine consciousness, life eternal, and even more than this, that God is the life and the consciousness of individual you and me. God is not only principle, Soul, or consciousness, but the consciousness and Soul of each and every one of us, the very Spirit, animating principle, and law of our being. Unless a person clearly perceives the truth of Jesus' statement, "I and my Father are one," 1 he will not understand why and how it is that all that the Father has is his. The longer we perpetuate God as something separate and apart from ourselves, the longer will we be seeking to get our allness from a God somewhere outside of us. In proportion, however, as we realize that God is closer to us than breathing, and that Jesus knew what he was talking about when he said, "The kingdom of God is within you 2 . . . I and my Father are one 3 . . . Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine," 4 will we understand that all that the Father has is ours. In that realization, we are able to give up fear. We all know the terrors of fear, so it is natural to ask, "How can I lose fear? How can I give up my fear?" There is only one way, and that is to know God as the very reality of our being. If we know God to be our life, how then can we fear for our life, for our supply, or for our security? It is our realization of our oneness with God which constitutes our safety and security, our health, longevity, immortality and eternality. In no way can we overcome fear as long as we believe that we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Solving Individual Problems.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:45- 117K
Find Similar Documents
I Stand on Holy Ground: Chapter 12, The Ye-Shall-Know-the-Truth Way
- Chapter Twelve The Ye-Shall-Know-the-Truth Way The spiritual or contemplative life is a specific way of life that has a specific purpose. It is one on which a person does not embark unthinkingly or without a reason, nor is it something that one arbitrarily chooses. Furthermore, there is a specific method of introducing this way of life into consciousness and of applying it to daily life. Normally, human beings have very little control over their lives or their destiny. They are subject, for example, to weather and climate, to the limitations of their education, and they are usually subject to the mores of their particular world. So many circumstances outside and beyond their control govern their lives that it is almost ludicrous to say that any human being is master of his own fate. But it has been known throughout all time, and it is now being introduced again into the world, that this need not be so, although in this age, it is easy to be tempted by current psychological beliefs into believing that we are victims of circumstances beyond our control. It is not necessary, however, for a person to fall afoul of all the evils that beset humankind, because every individual, free or slave, has within himself the God-given capacity to rise above and out of his condition in life. Slave races from all parts of the globe have broken out of their slavery; downtrodden people of all races have attained emancipation, freedom, and sometimes great glory. Your Good Is Not Dependent on Time or Circumstances No one is born without an inner capacity for God-living and God- expression, but the one thing necessary is to know the truth. Because a thousand may fall at your left and ten thousand at your right, it does not follow that these evils need come near your dwelling place. It does follow, however, that you are the only one who can prevent them from touching you or your affairs. This is not something that anyone can do for you, not your parents, your family, or your children: it is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Ye-Shall-Know-the-Truth Way.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:38- 119K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 17, Letter and Spirit of Truth
- ~ 17 ~ LETTER AND SPIRIT OF TRUTH The world is always presenting to us pictures of sin, disease, discord, lack, and limitation. Ignorance of the truth of being causes us to accept these pictures at face value, instead of translating them back into terms of God's actual creation. Only the study of truth reveals that these pictures are but false concepts of reality; that underlying these false views of life, there is the universe of God's creating. We know now that it is sacrilegious to claim that there is a God, an infinite power, and that there is discord too. It just does not make sense. Either there is God, infinite and eternal, universal and impartial, and therefore only perfection; or there is no God, and chaos, confusion, and lack of control are actualities. Assuming God, one must be logical and assume a universe intelligently and lovingly and harmoniously governed, controlled, maintained, and sustained. Then where do these pictures and evidences of discord come from? They emanate from thousands of years of accumulated beliefs in a selfhood apart from God. These beliefs constitute a state of deception or mesmerism through which we see and experience that which has no actual or externalized existence, namely an illusion. A hypnotized person may be made to chase a dog-a non-existent dog- but one which in the mesmerized state seems real. We can never remove the dog from the scene because he isn't there. But when we can convey to the hypnotized man that the dog exists only as illusion, he awakens from his dream. In the degree that you and I see that all corporeal existence (even so-called healthy corporeal existence) is but an illusion of human or mesmeric sense, we too awaken from the beliefs in a selfhood apart from God. God is your life, your mind, your being, the substance of your body, and therefore, you are actually entirely spiritual. All that appears as material is the illusion or false sense of self, produced by the age-old and universal aggregation of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Letter and Spirit of Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:45- 86K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 7, Teaching the Message
- ~ 7 ~ TEACHING THE MESSAGE FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE who are having the experience of imparting some of this to patients or students, I want to speak for a little while on what we may call teaching The Infinite Way and Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture. By that I don't mean class teaching. By the time that any of you are conducting a class on it, we will have a special class to bring that type of work to a focus. What I mean though, is that if you have a patient or someone coming to you and you are trying to bring about a healing and at the same time introduce them to the subject of spiritual truth from this standpoint, I want to give you some hints along the way. The first thing that must be brought out to the one who either has little or no metaphysics, or the one who is coming from some other school of metaphysics into this, is of course our meaning of terms like "soul," "Christ," and the difference between prayer and treatment. You know that in Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture I have made it clear that to my sense, treatment and prayer are not synonymous. Treatment refers to the letter of truth, the statements of truth that we may make to ourselves as reminders of the truth of being. Treatment may be our conscious realization, through either the spoken word or through silent thought, meditation, introspection, of the truths of being. But prayer would only begin when we had completed thinking or making statements or reviewing thoughts or ideas. In other words, in our work the main point is that there is not God and men; probably this approach is unique in that. You cannot give a treatment to men, because in this approach we haven't any men separate and apart from God. Therefore, what the metaphysical world terms men we term God and man, or God appearing as man. Therefore it would be an impossibility for a practitioner to give a treatment to a man or a woman or a child if he understands clearly that all there is appearing as man, woman or child, is God-the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 7, Teaching the Message.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 115K
Find Similar Documents