Seek Ye First: Chapter 12, Fulfillment of Spiritual Identity through Meditation, Contemplation, and Communion
- ... From the time any leader, prophet, saint, or seer in the Old Testament attained God-awareness, he lived a charmed life, a life that really demonstrated the omnipresence of good. It is not only evident that the Master's health seems to have been perfect, but his consciousness was a sanctuary into which others could come and find healing, food, supply, peace, and forgiveness. What would it not mean to those of us carrying around some burden of guilt for some act of omission or commission, if we could be led into the consciousness of an individual and there find forgiveness and the consequent peace that would come upon us? Some of us have found such persons in the ministry of the church, the metaphysical ministry, or the mystical ministry and, just by being in their presence, they have conferred upon us a feeling of peace, a feeling of noncondemnation, noncriticism, forgiveness, healing, and comforting. The Christ-Peace Cannot Be Found in Those Seeking the Peace Only the World Can Give The goal is that you and I attain Christ-consciousness, thereby bringing to ourselves the Christ-peace, the Christ-health, the Christ-wholeness, the Christ- forgiveness, the Christ-joy, and then, by virtue of our attainment, our very consciousness becomes a sanctuary into which we draw our family, our friends, our neighbors, and all those who are receptive. Everyone who touches our ... Therefore, for the world there is no safety or security in God except in proportion as the Christ is recognized as the consciousness of man and as man begins to live the Christ-life. It is not sufficient to know that the Christ functions through love: it is necessary that we adopt love as a way of life, and that means living the life of constant forgiveness, the life of praying for our enemies, the life of praying for those who persecute us, the life of benevolence at every level of consciousness-not only helping our fellow man financially, but more especially through prayer and communion. If we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ontemplation, and Communion.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:11- 121K
Find Similar Documents
Seek Ye First: Chapter 2, The Spiritual Goal
- Chapter Two The Spiritual Goal On the spiritual path, we have a definite goal, a specific place to reach. That goal is not the gaining of good health, better morals, more abundant supply, satisfying companionship, or a beautiful home. These are the added things that come with the attainment of the goal. If we had these other things and did not attain our real goal, we would still have nothing but baubles and bangles, nothing but shadows. When we have attained our goal, we have all the added things as the fruitage, including permanent harmony, permanent peace, permanent health, and permanent abundance. The Experience, Not Words The first step is reaching the awareness of the presence of God. It is not the final one: it is the first one. We may intellectually agree that God is omnipresence, that the kingdom of God is within us, or that Christ dwells within us. This can in no way be considered the attainment of the goal. That is merely making a statement about it, merely affirming something that we hope eventually to experience. Our goal, however, is not the declaration and not the intellectual knowledge that there is an indwelling Christ: our goal is the actual experience of the Christ. We can talk about food forever and starve; we can talk about water forever and thirst. We must have the experience of eating and drinking in order to be satisfied. So talking about truth, voicing truth, or hearing messages of truth may be very well in its place, but it is not a very satisfactory place. We begin to know satisfaction only when we experience the Christ. Then we, too, can echo Paul's statement: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." 1 The ultimate goal is conscious union with God, but that goal is reached by comparatively few persons. Regardless of the efforts they may make, they are, for the most part, preparing themselves for that ultimate experience in some future life. There have not been many in the recorded history of the world who have attained ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 2, The Spiritual Goal.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:09- 124K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XXIV, The Master Alchemist
- CHAPTER XXIV THE MASTER ALCHEMIST Too many Occidentals believe that the mystical life is not only impractical, but largely a figment of the imagination. In this age, however, the way of mysticism is being shown to be, not something mythical, mysterious, or occult, but spiritual, and a far more practical way of life than any yet devised in the human realm. It changes life from the everyday humdrum human experience with its trials and tribulations and its ups and downs to an entirely different kind of life, one lived from within, and yet not lived by us, but rather lived through us-a life in which we pass from living by taking thought and by our own effort to living by the Spirit. The Master Christ Jesus taught his followers to "resist not evil," to cease from strife of all kinds whether by the sword or the law, and to give twice as much in return if something were taken from them. Such a teaching sounds very impractical for this day and age, but as a matter of fact, it is far more practical than living a life dependent for its security and safety upon an army, navy, and air force: not only would we be relieved of the staggering expense of maintaining them, but we would also be relieved of any danger from an enemy because in this way of life there are no enemies. It would be as impossible to live with this transcendental Presence and have an enemy as it would be to live with It and then find oneself in danger from snakes, wild animals, starvation, or any other form of physical or mental discord. This is a very difficult idea for the human mind to grasp. What the unillumined mind sees, hears, tastes, touches, and smells seems so real, and the material and mental universe looks so real, that nothing could be considered quite as ridiculous as to stand before the highest temporal authority of the day and calmly state, "Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above," or to say, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... XXIV, The Master Alchemist.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:02- 107K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 5, Universal Hypnotism
- CHAPTER 5 Universal Hypnotism WE ARE not healers of the body. Our work does not change the body at all. Our work changes the consciousness of an individual. One of the great stumbling blocks is that most people have a definite idea of what it is they're seeking when they ask for help, and of course that may not fit at all in the spiritual picture. I have told of my struggle having five practitioners help me to increase my business. With each practitioner, my business got worse until I didn't have any. Now that surely looked like a lack of demonstration. However, you see, it was my perfect demonstration, because only when I had no money left did I go into this work. I suppose if my business had prospered, this work would have been delayed, or even prevented, in this lifetime. So it is that many people come to us for help, but they have a definite idea of what it is that they want. They have a definite idea of how harmony should appear in their experience, and sometimes even when. However, you see that really is not a part of our ministry. We do not aim at having instantaneous healings. They're wonderful when they take place, if they fulfill their spiritual mission; but that is not our object. Our object is the changing of consciousness-the changing of an individual's consciousness from a material sense of life to the spiritual awareness of life; from a material sense of religion to a spiritual sense of religion; from a material sense of supply to a spiritual sense of supply. You see, we are the ones, when the right help is given, who should be responding in accordance with God's will. However, we fight this by having in our mind how the demonstration should come out, and when, and to what extent, and so on. It is like parents who sometimes write to me for help. Their son is responding to the military draft. Will I help him pass and get into the draft? Another parent is desirous of having their son flunk the draft. Now you see, you can't pray to God both ways. A ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 5, Universal Hypnotism.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:21- 103K
Find Similar Documents
The Contemplative Life: Chapter 1, Conscious Awareness
- ~ 1 ~ CONSCIOUS AWARENESS Many persons who are seeking for truth or striving to find a way that will lead them out of the inharmonies and discords of life gather the impression that there is some quick or short way of overcoming all their problems; that there is some kind of a message that they can read in books or hear from the lips of a teacher or lecturer, that will quickly take them away from the troubles of a material way of living into the harmonies of the spiritual life. This is the mistake that is made in every one of the Western countries. It is not so in the East, where the relative unimportance of time is better understood and where it is realized that an evolution of consciousness can take place only over a span of years. But in the West, where in one short life-cycle we have gone from lamplight to modern electric lighting and from the horse and buggy era to automobiles and airplanes, where there has been an increase in the speed of travel from 100 miles an hour to thousands of miles, we do not seem to have sufficient time or sufficient interest to take the time for the development of spiritual consciousness. Because of this unbelievably rapid progress, materially and mechanically, which has set the tempo of our times, many think that it is possible to apply this same accelerated speed to the spiritual life. But when it comes to spiritual unfoldment and spiritual progress, it is quite a different story. There, an element of time enters into the situation, and it is this element of time that our Western world seems unwilling to accept, or may not be able or prepared to accept. It is often possible for those of us who come to a spiritual teaching to have our problems quickly met-physical, mental, moral, or financial-but, of course, even if all our major problems were quickly met, we still would be no better off than we were before, except for a little temporary relief from the world's discords, because regardless of what freedom we attain through the help ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 1, Conscious Awareness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:37- 132K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 4, Treatment - Its Meaning and Purpose
- ~ 4 ~ TREATMENT: ITS MEANING AND PURPOSE Good Morning. Sunday morning on Maui-one of those beautiful days Maui knows how to make! We have done an important work this week. If these tapes are properly studied they can prove to be the most important work you have undertaken in the message of the Infinite Way, but this depends on what you put into it. You won't get more out of these tapes than you put in because all these tapes have are words, and the words only take on importance as they become imbued in your consciousness and their meaning is realized. You may have to listen to these tapes many, many times before you begin to get the meaning that I put into them. That meaning is the direct result of thirty years of this work. They are important, that I'll tell you-and why? Because they deal with the subject of treatment. Why is the subject of treatment important, when it is a word that is never heard in the religious world? To understand that, you have to understand the purpose of treatment. The purpose of treatment, metaphysically understood, is the development of spiritual consciousness. Treatment isn't aimed at healing diseases or at getting supply; treatment isn't aimed at making better relationships. Treatment has one specific purpose, and that is developing spiritual consciousness. Now let me illustrate exactly how this is accomplished. In the material state of consciousness into which we were born, the greatest reality is matter and material force. That's what we fear the most and that's what we love the most. We love it most in forms of money, jewelry, property, and investments, and we fear it most in the forms of bullets, poisons, and germs. Matter in one form or another is the subject of our love, of our hate, and of our fear. In another sense, matter is something we use in the form of material force, whether it is water power or electrical power, to attain good in one way or another. But we also use material force for destructive purposes, to kill or to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...t - Its Meaning and Purpose.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:49- 138K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: I Am the Vine
- GOD IS LOVE. What, then, could you or I do to change the nature of God? Could your own child do anything that would change YOUR love for him? No, of course not, and if, from the human standpoint, we are able to give love to our children often when they do not deserve it, HOW MUCH MORE LOVE is pouring forth from our Heavenly Father! Can you accept the fact that GOD IS LOVE, not God is Love if you behave in a certain way, or not just when you are worthy and deserving? Can you accept the fact that GOD IS LOVE, and that God's rain falls on the just and the unjust alike? Did the Master, Christ Jesus, withhold good or healing because somebody was a sinner? Did He at any time ask the multitudes if they were good or if they squandered their money or saved it? In raising the dead did He ask if that person had been moral or immoral, honest or dishonest? Or did He, in beholding what the world calls death, destroy all belief in it by raising the individual to life? We all know the answer to that. At no time in His ministry did Jesus withhold healing, supply, forgiveness, restoration or reformation because of anyone's unworthiness or temporary sense of evil. The principle is this: since GOD IS LOVE, our good must be infinite without any ifs, ands, or buts, because God's Grace is not dependent upon something that you or I do or do not do. The Grace of God cannot be withheld. We can turn on or off the electricity and we can turn on or off the water, but we cannot start or stop the flow of God. GOD IS, AND GOD IS LOVE in Its completeness and fullness. Let us now consider GOD IS LIFE. This does not mean that God is life at the age of six years or at sixteen. GOD IS LIFE. Then why is this not so at sixty, ninety, and a hundred and twenty? The reason is that the words I, me, and you enter the picture, and we say MY life or YOUR life, and immediately we think of the date on a birth certificate. If God is Life, of what consequence is the date on a birth certificate? God is the ONLY life ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...el Goldsmith_ I Am the Vine.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:13- 127K
Find Similar Documents
Living The Infinite Way: Chapter Six, I Am the Vine
- What, then, could you or I do to change the nature of God? Could our own child do anything that would change our love for him? No, of course not, and if, from the human standpoint, we are able to give love to our children often when they do not deserve it, how much more love is pouring forth from our heavenly Father! Can we accept the fact that God is love, not God is love if we behave in a certain way, or not just when we are worthy and deserving? Can we accept the fact that God is love, and that God's rain falls on the just and the unjust alike? Did the Master, Christ Jesus, withhold good or healing because somebody was a sinner? Did he at any time ask the multitudes if they were good or if they squandered their money or saved it? In raising the dead did he ask if that person had been moral or immoral, honest or dishonest? Or did he, in beholding what the world calls death, destroy all belief in it by raising the individual to life? We all know the answer to that. At no time in his ministry did Jesus withhold healing, supply, forgiveness, restoration, or reformation because of anyone's unworthiness or temporary sense of evil. The principle is this: Since God is love, our good must be infinite without any ifs, ands, or buts, because God's grace is not dependent upon something that you or I do or do not do. The grace of God cannot be withheld. We can turn the electricity on or off and we can turn the water on or off, but we cannot start or stop the flow of God. God is, and God is love in Its completeness and fullness. Let us now consider the principle: God is life. This does not mean that God is life at the age of six years or at sixteen. God is life. Then why is this not so at sixty, ninety, or a hundred and twenty? The reason is that the words "I," "me," and "you" enter the picture, and we say my life or your life, and immediately we think of the date on a birth certificate. If God is life, of what consequence is the date on a birth certificate? God is the only ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter Six, I Am the Vine.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:56- 114K
Find Similar Documents
Realization of Oneness: Chapter 8, On the Sea of Spirit
- 8) On the Sea of Spirit Life on the spiritual path can be divided into three major periods: the first a very pleasant one, the second not quite so comfortable, and the third not only pleasant but satisfying. The first stage is pleasant because our thoughts are centered primarily on changing conditions of evil, error, discord, and inharmony into more harmonious conditions, and, as many of us have discovered, some of these changes do take place. We gain a better sense of health, very often a much better sense of supply, and our human relationships adjust themselves and become much more satisfactory than they were before. In this first stage of our spiritual unfoldment, it is a joyous thing to watch some part of the old man "die," 1 and the new man be "born," watch the old conditions disappear, and new and more harmonious ones appear. LIVING IN TWO WORLDS The second stage is probably the longest period, and the most difficult one. This is because in the second stage we are living in two worlds. We have glimpsed something of the nature of Reality, and something of the unreal nature of the phenomenal world, gradually leading us to a state of consciousness where we do not quickly run for an aspirin the moment we have a cold, or immediately consult a doctor when something more serious develops. We have little or no fear about these disturbing physical conditions because they no longer hold the same terror for us. Unfortunately, most of our friends do not think as we do, and they can make life fairly miserable for us by reminding us that we must be practical, that we must protect ourselves from disease and danger, and that it is unreasonable and impractical to forgive our enemies. Because of this conflict, we often find ourselves living in two worlds with the necessity of catering to both of them. Apparently, there is no way of running away from either one of them; and inasmuch as we do not want to lose the spiritual ground that we have gained by so much work, study, and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 8, On the Sea of Spirit.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:04- 165K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 1, Lift Yourself to a Spiritual Altitude
- Chapter One Lift Yourself to a Spiritual Altitude Everybody is seeking a way out of human limitation, human failure, and human conditions, all the difficulties of human life. We, that is, those who have any degree of social awareness or social sensitivity are not only seeking a way out of lack and limitation for ourselves; we are seeking a way out of lack and limitation for all the nations that do not have abundance. We are not only seeking a way out of ill health for ourselves, we are seeking to find health and harmony for all the peoples of the world. We are not only seeking to find peace in our individual lives, we are also seeking to find peace for all peoples on the face of the earth. When I say, "we," I am speaking of all of us, in this work or out, in orthodox religions or unorthodox religions, and of those who have no religion. Every thinking person is seeking a way out of human difficulties and out of human limitation, not only for themselves, but for all the world. This concern has been going on for many, many centuries, and the wonder is that in all these centuries a way has not been found to take us out of these difficulties, these problems, and these human miseries. When we look around to investigate what means are being used to overcome world difficulties, we find that these means are usually on a material level. We have been trying to meet the needs of the world by means of all the material resources of the universe, by means of invention, science, and discovery. It is a turning to whatever exists in the material realm. Attempts to Solve Problems by Supernatural Means There are a few who turn to some particular concept of God and fare no better than those who resort only to material means. We may wonder at that until through research we discover that when the world was sparsely populated with only a few native tribes here and there on different continents and islands, and living without any religion, as the problems of human living became acute and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...elf to a Spiritual Altitude.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:11- 123K
Find Similar Documents