Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 5, The World Of Material Sense & The World Of Spiritual Discernment
- ~ 5 ~ THE WORLD OF MATERIAL SENSE AND THE WORLD OF SPIRITUAL DISCERNMENT WHEN THE MASTER SAID, "My kingdom is not of this world,"1 he implied that there are two worlds. And yet the truth is that there is only one world. God made all that was made, and anything that God did not make was not made. Since God is Spirit, the only world is a spiritual world, and the only man is spiritual man. Then what did the Master mean when he said that his kingdom was not of this world? And what do we mean when we speak of the two worlds as taught in The Infinite Way? First of all, we mean that there is only one world, and it is spiritual. The other world is the materialistic concept that we entertain of the spiritual world; it is not really a world any more than the world of the insane is a real world. The world of the insane is a world lived within the mind, an imaginary world they have conceived. It has no external existence, any more than does the materialistic concept of world that we all accept have an existence separate and apart from mind. The proof of that is that through the development of spiritual discernment we are able to see the world as it is, to see the materialistic concept evaporate and in its place behold a world of harmony. The human being lives in a world of material sense, and this means that he measures life in terms of amounts, weights, and degrees. He ascribes power to germs: good power to some germs and evil power to others. He ascribes powers of good to some individuals and powers of evil to other individuals. He is always conferring power upon someone or something. His entire human experience is made up of a combination of good and evil; he gives power to all kinds of things external to himself. Practically everything good comes from someone else or something else, and practically everything evil comes from some other person or some other thing. He is either the beneficiary or the victim. Rarely does he acknowledge that he has dominion and live out from ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ld Of Spiritual Discernment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:43- 118K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 5, When We Judge By Appearances
- ... In the spiritual life, you place no labels on the world. You do not judge as to good or evil, sick or well, rich or poor. While appearances may show forth harmony or discord, by not judging, you merely know Is, and let that which truly Is define Itself. Wisdoms of The Infinite Way The Prayer of Forgiveness and Release What do I want? "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness." 14 Seeking the kingdom of God means seeking the realm, the realization-let's use that word, the "realization" of God. It means pray and meditate and ponder God until ... So you find that to come to the kingdom of God means to come into a state of consciousness which loses bit by bit, of course, the temptation to judge, criticize, condemn, to hold in evil. You find that God's righteousness is embodied in the word "forgiveness." The nature of God is to forgive. How many times? "Seventy times seven." 15 Infinity. So you say, "Ah, but he sinned against me yesterday, and the day before, and the day before. How much longer must that go on?" I don't know how much seventy times seven is, but at least seventy times seven. That's how long it can go on if it will, and each time there must be forgiveness. Therefore, if we have not reached that state of consciousness in which we can find it within ourselves to be forgiving, at least in the sense of "Well, Father, if I can do nothing else, I can say, 'Forgive them their sins.'" In other words, come to a state of mind where you wish no punishment on anyone, even for their wrongs. That's quite a place to come to, but we can approach it by degrees, even if we can't attain it in a moment. Then, seeking the kingdom of God and His righteousness means seeking a state of consciousness in which we approximate that divine state of righteousness, that divine state of consciousness; somewhere in which we are forgiving, in which we are praying for the enemy, praying for those who despitefully use us. You see, the prayer of forgiveness and the prayer of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 5.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:06- 100K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: The True Sense of the Universe
- THE TRUE SENSE OF THE UNIVERSE THE BELIEFS WE ENTERTAIN about the body constitute our sense of body. The truth about body is something entirely different from our concepts of it. The body itself is perfect. It is as immortal and eternal as Soul, God, which is the substance and Principle of the body. Your body - seen through the universal material beliefs of the world - was born, matures, ages and dies. This very body when correctly known, that is, spiritually discerned, is the very appearing of Soul-substance, Spirit-substance, eternal being. It is neither functional nor organic. What appears to us as functions and organs are our false finite concepts of the activity of Mind appearing as spiritual body or spiritual formation. As long as we entertain a material concept of body, we will have concern for it - we will cater to it - and find in it both pain and pleasure. As we continue to lift our concept of body until we gain the realization of what our body really is, we will find less and less of either pain or pleasure in it until we arrive at the state of consciousness where we realize the body as an impersonal vehicle or mode of expression. Every suggestion of discomfort or inharmony coming from the body must be met instantly with the understanding of the true nature of body as spiritual. Only as we understand that errors of sense exist merely as suggestion and false sense, can we find freedom from the pains and pleasures of the body. We are never correcting the body, its so-called organs or functions. We are correcting the false concept or sense of body. All we have said here about body is equally true about business, home, security, wealth. "My kingdom is not of this world." There is nothing of God, or reality, in the world we see, hear, taste, touch or smell. The failure of religion in this age is due to the lack of this vision. Theology is attempting to spiritualize a mortal concept of God - called man. This man and his universe is no part of God, because God ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... True Sense of the Universe.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:19- 91K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 12, Spiritual Freedom
- ~ 12 ~ SPIRITUAL FREEDOM THE SPIRITUAL WAY OF LIFE leads to spiritual freedom, which is a quality or condition of being that comes as the result of the attainment of Truth Itself. In the material sense of life, the world is in bondage-in bondage to hundreds of different thoughts and things. There is no denying this, although metaphysicians are very likely to claim that there is no bondage in God. That, of course, is true. There is no bondage in God, but it is also true that if you were living in God, you would not find it necessary to read a book on this subject. It is only because you and I have not yet reached the life which is God that we are interested in the way to achieve it. The term "way" has a long and interesting history. Jesus said, "I am the way." 1 Lao-Tzu's teaching six hundred years before the time of Jesus was called "The Way." The way refers to that spiritual path that gives us freedom, but the very use of the word freedom implies a freedom from some form of bondage. In reality, there is no freedom in Spirit or Soul because there is nothing to be free of: There is only divine Being. It is not easy for anyone to understand or even to explain the subject of spiritual freedom. In fact, it might be possible to grasp the Einstein theory more easily because this requires the developing of the human mind to the degree of grasping and understanding higher mathematics. No one, however, can ever develop his thinking human mind or intellect to the point where he will be able to understand Spirit and spiritual activity. There is a Power greater than any of the powers with which we are familiar in the human sense of life, a Power that we can never see, never hear, taste, touch or smell. It is a Power that we can discern only with our spiritual senses, and if we cannot be lifted up to the point of spiritual discernment, we shall never know the meaning of spiritual freedom. We are, therefore, touching this subject from the standpoint of opening our consciousness ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 12, Spiritual Freedom.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:44- 119K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 2, Teacher, Student & Teaching
- ... Only through the development of the spiritual consciousness exemplified by Jesus will all nations finally be enabled to put up their swords and turn them into ploughshares. You may wonder whether or not anyone can live up to a teaching as demanding as this, but it can be done-it can be done individually and collectively. You can begin now to live up to the Master's teaching by forgiving your enemy and by praying for those who persecute you; and if you, as an individual, can do this, the world can. One of the greatest laws of the Bible is the law of forgiveness, of praying for your enemies. But forgiveness does not mean looking at a human being, remembering the terrible offense he has committed against you, and then forgiving him for it. There is no virtue in that. True forgiveness is the ability to see through his human appearance to the Divinity of his being and realize that in the Divinity of his being there has never been, and is not now, error of any nature. It is as if this person were to ask you for help, and in helping him you would have to behold him as he really is, as pure spiritual being. Every day we are called on to look upon all those toward whom we have any negative feeling as spiritual beings and practice this act of forgiveness. This means turning to the Christ of our own being, and there knowing that nothing but love exists. There never has been a mortal being, and all that appears as a mortal is but the Christ Itself incorrectly seen. Like forgiveness, praying for our enemies is one of the great laws of life and of the Bible. This does not mean that we are helpless before the enemy: It really means being able to understand God as the life and the mind of individual man, and to know that there is no other mind but that one. Appearances have nothing at all to do with it. We are not dealing with appearances. We are dealing with the reality of being. Oneness, the Keynote The teaching is that you must individually contact God. God must become real and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Teacher, Student & Teaching.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:16- 144K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 4, Immortality Unveiled
- Chapter Four Immortality Unveiled It is not possible to enter into the Christ-consciousness while you are trying to change appearances. Evil becomes less operative in your life, however, as you rise to a place in consciousness where you recognize that God is Spirit, that Spirit alone is power, and that there is no power aside from Spirit-not that there is not a claim of material and mental power in the human world. But you cannot change that until you rise above the material and mental levels into the spiritual, and it is there that you will recognize the illusory nature of all so-called powers. Actually, it is impossible for an illusion to create any real thing. All it can create is a mental image in thought. The world is the temple of God. It is not an illusion even though some Oriental teachings claim it is. The illusion is in our sense of the world. But what has happened to those who have accepted this world as an illusion? "By their fruits ye shall know them."1 Has there been clearly identifiable fruitage? God never created an illusion, and God did create the world which to human sense is seen "through a glass darkly."2 If only it could be seen face to face, this very universe would be the temple of God, as your individual body would be. Your body is the temple of God, but you are seeing it through the universal belief in two powers, and the sooner you come to some measure of realization of one power, the sooner will your body begin to respond. As you learn this principle of the Infinite Way, you will disregard appearances, knowing that you are witnessing these appearances through the illusory sense of the belief in two powers. Impersonal Nature of Error Makes Healing Relatively Easy Infinite Way work is carried on entirely from the standpoint that all evil, regardless of its name or nature, is impersonal and has its source in a universal belief in two powers. It is for this reason that you never take the name of the patient or the disease into your treatment. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 4, Immortality Unveiled.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:14- 121K
Find Similar Documents
Living by the Word: Chapter 2, Spiritual Discernment of the Bible
- Chapter Two Spiritual Discernment of the Bible The Bible, which is given to us as the word of spiritual wisdom, as revelations concerning the kingdom of God, must be spiritually discerned, but today even twenty centuries after the time of the Master, some religionists are still trying to interpret this hidden word of the kingdom literally, and, of course, are failing. There is a spiritual kingdom. There is also the son of God who spiritually discerns the nature of this kingdom, the things of God, the laws of God, and who knows how to live a God-centered life. This kingdom can never be entered with the human mind or human body. It must be spiritually discerned. If the kingdom of God were attained, if the things of God were understood, and if God were known aright, there would be none of the evils so evident on every hand: none of the sins, none of man's inhumanity to man, none of the diseases. All this would be wiped out in the understanding of God, because the understanding of God would leave no trace of sin or disease. Letting Go of the Man of Earth The statement, "My kingdom is not of this world," 1 sets forth very clearly that there is a difference between "My kingdom" and "this world." Later, Paul revealed that there are two men: There is the son of God, and there is "the natural man [who] receiveth not the things of the spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 2 "The natural man" does not have the ability to discern spiritually. And so it is that we are living partly in the world of sense, "this world," and partly in the kingdom of God, but certainly those of us who are on the path are striving to "die" to our humanhood, to "the creature," 3 to "the natural man," in order that we may be reborn spiritually as children of God with spiritual discernment. To all sincere seekers, the question arises: Is there a way for us to drop the man of earth? Can we "die" to it? Can we be reborn of the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...al Discernment of the Bible.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:47- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 11, Spiritual Freedom
- ~ 11 ~ SPIRITUAL FREEDOM YOU KNOW THIS IS NOT THE EASIEST SUBJECT in the world to talk about, and I approach it always with a little bit of hesitancy. Always we have been talking about the spiritual way of living and of course, the subject "spiritual freedom" is a part of the spiritual way of life. Spiritual freedom is a result of the spiritual way of living; it is one of the results, but it has to be understood in order to be demonstrated. It has to be understood in order to be lived. In our material sense of life we are in bondage to hundreds of different thoughts and things-there is no denying it. We are so apt in the metaphysical world just to say, "There is no accident in divine mind," or "There is no bondage in divine mind." Of course it is true. There isn't bondage in divine mind. It is also true that if we were living in divine mind we would not be here speaking or listening to this subject. It is only because we haven't yet reached the life of divine mind that we are interested in a way or a path to achieve it. The term "path" or "way" is an interesting one. Jesus said: "I am the way." 1 But 600 years before Jesus, Lao Tzu's teaching in China was called "The Way." The term "way" refers to that spiritual path that gives us freedom. If we are to achieve freedom, it must be freedom from some form of bondage. Actually you know there is no freedom in spirit or soul because there isn't anything to be free of. There is only divine being. When we talk about spiritual freedom, we are talking really about a quality or condition of being that results from our search for and attainment of truth itself. I am coming to this very, very slowly, because I am-and I know that I am-on a delicate subject. You will appreciate as I go along, how delicate it is. What I am leading up to is the fact that there is a power greater than any of the powers you are familiar with in the human sense of life and yet a power that you never will see, never hear, taste, touch or smell. It is a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 11, Spiritual Freedom.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:07- 128K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Spiritual Healing
- ... Let your freedom from the need of these be in your inner realization. Never boast or brag of your freedom from material means - that would be a sure sign you haven't the realization. Let your assurance of permanent Grace be an inner conviction which is outwardly felt by those with whom you come in contact. Never voice it except in the closed closet with a student who is on the brink of discovery. It is wiser to live your revelation than to speak it. Jesus walked on the water, but he did not advocate it as a general practice; he fed the multitudes, but he knew that we would have to grow to the stature of Christ before we could accomplish it, and therefore, he did not reproach those who worked for their daily bread. Live your demonstrated spiritual consciousness and let your living preach it. Do not take your patients or students a step further than they can see at the moment. If they try to walk on the water too soon, be alert - be present to raise them. Always stand by with love, forbearance and forgiveness. Life becomes an adventure when we realize the presence of the Christ. No longer is there concern or anxiety for some person "out there" or for some circumstance or condition. Life is now lived one moment at a time and that moment is now and that moment is God's moment. If your life is not an adventure now; if you are not living in a joyous expectancy, a confident assurance, then there is still a concern for some one or something "out there" instead of a relaxing in the consciousness that all Life is self-sustained. You are not necessary to anyone's demonstration of life or security. Your consciousness of this truth would help to set free any whom you may be holding in bondage to the belief of human dependency. When one avenue of supply closes, another opens to fill this moment with God's fullness - as long as one abides in the consciousness of the Presence. The world becomes your playground when you lose fear and concern in the recognition of the presence of the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...cripture_ Spiritual Healing.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:18- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: The Seven Steps
- The Seven Steps THERE ARE SEVEN foundational steps necesssary to the understanding of spiritual existence, and it is helpful to try to understand the Truth in the following statements: 1. "Call no man your father upon the earth; for one is your Father, which is in heaven." When we catch even a small glimpse of this Truth, we start to see the meaning of preexistence and we can understand why it is that man was never born, and in fact that there never was a creation, but that all that is, is unfoldment within the Universal Consciousness, which is your individual consciousness. 2. "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof." By recognizing that everything that is, is a part of the Universal, is a possession of the Universal, and that everything that is in and of the Universal is forever expressing itself through the individual, we give up our sense of personal possession and start to draw from the Universal. 3. "The glory which I had with Thee before the world was" is still mine. Here we recognize that there is no power apart from God, and therefore nothing has ever happened to separate us from the glory, power, dominion, purity, and spirituality that was ours in the beginning. In one step we wipe out the belief of material consciousness. 4. "Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." Now we are recognizing that Christ or the Word is greater than any condition or circumstance that may arise in the manifest world. 5. "I and my Father are one." That is, my consciousness is the divine, infinite, eternal, Universal Consciousness individually expressed. Life is life, Mind is mind. 6. "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone." Only the consciousness that can see itself sinless, pure and perfect can see the harmony and wholeness of his neighbor, and under no circumstance must there be condemnation of self or another, because the Christ-Self, which is the only Self, must be seen as here and now. 7. " My grace is sufficient for ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Goldsmith_ The Seven Steps.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:15- 111K
Find Similar Documents